Sign in to follow this  
cripplecreekfrm

What Breed Do You Event?

Hey guys just curious on what breed and at what level do you compete? I have been out of the event world since my Tb gelding dies in 06 but recently got an Iberian Warmblood that was competing Novice in TX (she needs some time off from the dressage and also some retraining) but I bet she would be a blast on the Xcountry!! I have also just gotten another horse off the track that isn't your normal breed to event. I have ridden him a couple of times on the trail and he is so athletic I am sure with some training (prob more for nim)he will be great. He too needs some time off as he is a little foot sore from racing on the super hard track here but he is coming around slowly.

OTTB's

And sometimes a QH App or Paint Thrown in.

I am at a low level but my trainers Uperlvel Event horses are OTTBs

well my guy isn't an OTTB he is an OTSTB most people will never know it. he doesn't look or move like a STB. Most ppl are shocked when he swaps over to the pace on them. He doesn't do it when I ride him because I know how to stop him but he will for others.

Arabian. 100%

Very low level, but if he/we learned when he was younger, I bet he could have very competitive at BN in terms of regionals/nationals, at least.

For now, we take it easy, mostly 'cause I'm not the world's greatest rider.

Ice is a Holsteiner cross - we don't know what he is crossed with, possibly TB...but he is Deffinatly more than 1/2 Holsteiner. We compete at training now, and are moving up to prelim next year. I don't lnow if you know wendy schaeffer - she won the olympics in 96- but she told me Ice id deffinately going to get to intermediate.

Well.

I have an OTTB, we're dabbling in Prelim.

I have a arab/saddlebred mare, who will eventually event. She just popped out a filly (who is 1/2 TB) who I'm going to show in hand in the Future Event horse stuf next summer.

I've shown multiple arabs and arab/saddlebred at BN and Novice....

Any type, breed, or size can event. If the horse is sound enough to jump, and conditioned properly (and some other stuff), it can event.

I took an Appendix QH Prelim.

At the previous barns I worked at (mind you, this was before the whole WB switch. Long format was still around) had only OTTB's or Irish Sport Horses. I've only started seeing warmbloods doing the upper levels in the last few years. Before, they were more for the older ladies who wanted to win at Novice or Training, lol.

My Old Trainer took her

Arabian/TB/App/Morgan/Mutt Cross Advanced..

Yes I do ride 98% OTTBs But I think if the horse fits the bill then go for it..Breed to me means nothing..Confo and Mind Means everything..

Full Trakehner (as in, the TB blood is a few generations back :happy0203:).

Quite a few traks have been very successful eventers, long before Windfall's rise to glory!

Edited by aeris

APPYSSS!! hehe i used to event my appy mare for two years and she was absolutely amazing to learn on.. she basically jumped anything i pointed her at and we never had a stop at a show. =) we went BN and she took me to the american eventing champs in 2007 and it was the best time i ever had! i love her to death. i think appys are really even-tempered and sure-footed. their only negetive is their incredible (sometimes uncontrollable as i found out with daisy :P) speed, and tendency with eye problems. she competed Training level when she was young.

now i currently event a Welsh X TB mare who's pretty fun and we make a good pair as well.

my sister competes a geldlander gelding who is really stunning. he has crazy coloring and hes so pretty! they're going novice, moving up to training in the spring, and he has the potential to go prelim. he probably would have the potential to go intermediate, but he has slight arthritis in his neck and we don't want to break him. [Jump] eventing's great because you could ride almost any type of horse (at least at the lower levels) and have a great time AND do well!

Edited by Lex

my daughter evented her quater pony to training, she currently has a 3 year old OTTB who she plans on eventing, his dressage is already amazing and she has only had him 2 months.

I don't know what breeds I event... I event 5 horses, and about 10+ different breeds!! lol

Paint/QH

Appy/Arab

Appy/Morgan

QH

TB/QH/Hano

Go color!! :yahoo:

My first event mare ( the most amazing horse i've ever ridden ) is an OTTB. Evented her for 3 years until she bowed a tendon. She's still sitting in my barn :)

My current eventer is a 6 year old GORGEOUS American Warmblood. Some people might call her a Shire Sporthorse but I like the Warmblood better. Shire Sporthorse makes her sound a bit heavy, doesn't it? Anyway, she's a 3/4 Thoroughbred ( dam and sire's dam were both OTTB's) and 1/4 Shire. Her mom is full TB and her dad is 1/2 Shire 1/2 TB. I don't know if anyone has ever heard of the Shire sire Thordown T Geronimo but apparently he's pretty popular with the Shire breeders. That's her sire's sire.

I have also dabbled in eventing with a Haflinger mare, 2 Morgan/QH crosses, and many many TB crosses

eventerdrew, I had a horse that was 3/4 TB and 1/4 Percheron. Loveeeee the draft crosses.

If I evented, I would probably event OTTB's or TB crosses. I'm drawn to those horses!

hunterguy,

That's awesome! no one seems to respect the draft crosses because they think they're too clunky. but with the right cross, they can make AMAZING eventers!!!

Nice to know there are people out there who feel the same :)

My horse is a Quarter Horse/Arab/Thoroughbred... I think. He's cute but nothing serious. I don't think he could make it to training level.

hunterguy,

That's awesome! no one seems to respect the draft crosses because they think they're too clunky. but with the right cross, they can make AMAZING eventers!!!

Nice to know there are people out there who feel the same :)

Some come out clunky, but I don't think I've ever seen one that was mostly TB who didn't look like a warmblood!

I don't event, but my hunter was quite the athlete. Here's a pic:

prettyjump.jpg

Hunterguy,

your horse is beautiful! I L-O-V-E Shire crosses. I'm lucky to have such a great one!

this is a pic of my girl, Uma at Heritage Park Horse Trials in Olathe, KS in August of this year. She's my 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire Beginner Novice Eventer. This was her first event!

post-36433-1230231804_thumb.jpg

PHOTO COURTESY OF MERRICK STUDIOS www.merrickstudios.com

thanks Hunterguy!

I love her! and for being a difficult horse to train (and being only 6) she has come a long way!! right now she is laid up from a kick in the pasture. She got her stifle kicked. but she should make a full recovery in time for the spring event season in Kansas!

Appaloosa cross...thing pony type ish

God knows what she is but the little thing has a heart thats the size of the sun and will jump anything I put her at.

Hi! I'm new...sort of, I think I had an account a long time ago but I couldn't remember my login/password...anyway, I have a 7 year old Irish Sporthorse that I event at Training level. He's super fun. :grin:

post-51164-1231366447_thumb.jpg

And gorgeous! What level?

Awww thanks! We ran BN last season, moving up to Novice this spring and hopefully training by late summer/early fall. He was super burnt out and had a nasty stop when we got him. So we went back to basics, He's only been jumping with me for about a year. We were looking for a young riders horse when we bought him, and I know he wont be ready for that before I age out, but I love him too much to give up, He's too nice of a horse.

Picture1-1.png

he can be a little goofy at times. At least he will NEVER touch a jump.

DSCI0084.jpg

Picture26-2.png