Sign in to follow this  
cripplecreekfrm

What Breed Do You Event?

really pretty horses guys!!

speaking of draft crosses... we have a Geldlander (which does have quite a bit of draft in it, i believe) that my sister has been eventing Novice, moving up to training. he has the potential to go intermediate (said by Rolex rider). he's a super cool awesome horse!!

IMG_4672.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

n1226190596_30368531_4413.jpg

Lex -- I lived in the Netherlands for 5 years. The Gelderlander is not a true draft and never was.

The entire concept of "draft" horses being used to "create warmbloods" is a bit misunderstood in this country. The reason for the confusion is two fold.

1) Before tractors, lots of farmers or land workers owned a horse or two that they used to help with the farmwork. These were usually biggish, local horses, but they were not "true draft" and could not be mistaken as such. They looked a fair amount like today's warmblood but without the quality. Because these horses did "draft work," Americans assumed they were "draft horses."

2) Secondly, the German (or Dutch) word for "to pull" is usually translated at "draft" in english. This can be misleading, especially when "to pull" was actually meant as a carriage horse, not a work horse. Carriage horses typically aren't and never were draft horses.

Here's a link http://www.gelderlander.com/html/en/index.html

The only word out of my mouth when I saw these pictures was "ew," as in , Oh, that's a nice horse! Love that gallop picture! Look at that smile on the rider's face!

IMG_4672.jpg

IMG_4959.jpg

n1226190596_30368531_4413.jpg

RioTrollerAgain- thanks. i must have misunderstood the meaning of it! i somewhere heard that the Geldlander breed was TBxWarmbloodxPintoxDraft, so i asked my trainer and she was like 'absolutely not!' i never really understood what his breed meant, but i assumed it was some kind of drafty thing... i guess warmblood, thats what i got out of your post? he's got a really pulling, cairage type trot.. hes got a drafty look about him though, dont you think? thanks for the info.

Sylves- thanks! hes a gorgeous guy isnt he! hes sweet as can be, and hes such a little character!

Gelderlanders are typically fairly heavy and "carriage" type horses, but not nearly as bulky and heavy as a draft. If someone did not realize that their build, size and shape is part of their breed, it would be easy to think they were a draft/TB/something else cross, but they aren't. :)

Gelderlanders were the basis breed of the Dutch Warmblood, but keep in mind that after so many, many generations, the Gelderlander and the Dutch Warmblood are now very different from each other.

OTTB Loved to jump- would pitch a fit if there was a jump in the ring and we didn't go over it at least once.

C showed her arabian stallion through Novice level, my daughter showed our QH/Welsh cross he was in the 96 Paralympics in Atlanta a Bronze and a Gold Dressage. Our arabian mare has been shown Novice and dressage to Second level.

We're now working on our Anglo-arabian Who is a solid four year old-getting ready to start this year. She won her first Sport horse in hand class.

3DayEventer-

I have a 3/4 TB 1/4 Shire mare! I love love love her and her jump is amazing! do you have pics of your guy?! mine are on the first page

My heart has always been with TB or TB crosses. Own two TB crosses that I ADORE. Shevy is of unknown breeding, but he's 1/2 TB at least. Marly's out of a TB mare by a light Hanoverian stud. He acts like any OTTB I've ever known, and from a distance looks like an OTTB, he's just 17.2hh. He's going Training moving up to Prelim.

Marly:

n654335598_4691545_1537.jpg

n654335598_4691550_2779.jpg

Shevy:

n654335598_767224_9611.jpg

My event mare is a Hanoverian and I absolutely adore her.

I used to event a little "mutt" pony with the biggest heart that would beat out horses three times his size

I am hopefully going to event this year with my Arab mare who has a great jump , she is already showjumping 3'3"+ and doing dressage. I just need some place to practice cross country.

2647922930101614598S425x425Q85.jpg

2673297240101614598S425x425Q85.jpg

I love her jump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ8mHxSPjw0

I love her, but she most likely couldn't go much past Novice

Speaking of draft crosses, I absolutley LOVE them, my barn owner used to breed his Arabian sport horses with drafts, and there is one for sale at our barn right now, he is extremely sweet, and he is so calm he was trained by a seven year old.

Edited by ArBensMusic

I event a Appendix (Thoroughbred x Quarter Horse) who used to be a western trail/barrel/pole horse. We are starting to do Beginner Novice level. =]

videos of him on my youtube!!!

youtube.com/huckleberrysgirl8

post-52757-1246325233_thumb.jpg

Edited by OMGitsSarahh