redneckcowgirlmn

The "i'm Fat & I Ride My Horse Anyway!" Chat Thread!

[smiley Wavey]

I have seen quite a few topics on fat people riding, and peoples' opinions & thoughts on it. I have my own opinions. You know what? I'm fat. I ride my horses anyways. I have fun, & get off my butt & do something. It gets me out of the house, out of my head, and gives me a sense of pride & accomplishment, when we do something.

I threatened to start this thread a few months ago... and a few said it was a good idea... but it never happened.

So here it is.

Come on in, say hi, post pics, (or not), tell us about you, your horse, what you enjoy doing with them, goals if you have some, hopes, dreams, and heck, if you're just having a bad day, we're here for you!

So, I'll go first.

I'm Melissa, people here call me Red... I'm 38, have had 3 kids by c section, and bad knees. I'm 5'6", & pushing really hard at 198#. My ***** make my back hurt, cold makes my knees hurt, I have bad tendonitis in my elbows, and it's probably all weight related. I tried to quit smoking after 23 years, back in April, & quickly packed back on the 28# I'd lost from my diet started in January. So my diet plan now is I started smoking again. Weight increase has at least stopped. Probably not the best idea, but keeps me from a full blown panic attack.

On to pics!

Here's me 8 years ago, on my then 2 yr old gelding.

scan0009.jpg

200#.

Same horse, this spring... 180#

WinterHorses027.jpg

(He grew a little!)

My QH mare when I got her 4 years ago...

tristysfirstride.jpg

Me on my 3 yr old filly.

0609082053.jpg

(Yea... it took a lot for me to post this!)

So, instead of freaking out & going on a starvation diet.... I got a bigger horse.

camping029.jpg

(Seriously, that was a week later, amazing what jeans hide, & dark colors do when you suck your gut in,& saddles do for your posture, huh?)

My pony in an in hand Trail class... black is not as slimming as I had hoped!

Sept20PonyShow019.jpg

When I was in HS, I was one of the little pipsqueaks... 115# soaking wet. I ran barrels with friends on the weekends, won a little money here & there, & loved it. Then life happened.

My kids are now old enough to wipe their own butts, and I can breathe! So now, my Goal, is to get my blue horse started on the barrel pattern, maybe drop a couple pounds in the process, and get back into it. I traded my red gelding for him after running him the last 2 summers... he hated it. He is now a happy trail horse, & Rio is my new victim.

So, anyone feel like chatting? Who else is not afraid to admit we're not a Barbie, and we DO stuff with our horses anyways?

I'm not! LOL. I'm about 5'11" and I weigh about 207. I'm working hard to get down to a good weight. It's just SO hard. My brother is a bean pole and my mom doesn't care anymore, so they always are bringing bad food into the house. Blah. Two years ago, I weighed 155, I was so slim, it was weird haha. But I ride a huge WB that has big ol' bones so we have no problems there.

I like to exercise, but sometimes it's hard to get up and go do it. I love going on the eliptical for 2 miles and it's easy *gasp* lol. But if I try the treadmil, I like die. For some reason it just doesn't like me.

Hi! [smiley Wavey] I'm Krista, and I too am overweight. I've struggled with it my entire life. At the moment I am over 300 lbs. My mare is a 17 yr old Appy named Belle who weighs in at roughly 1200 lbs or so. I've worried for years that my weight was hurting her, but I've been told that I am very balanced and have a good seat, and she hasn't showed even the slightest sign of discomfort :smilie: We trail ride and hit the occasional fun show for the western pleasure classes. I also have a yearling solid Paint bred gelding named Connor. I'm planning on starting him myself, but not until he's at least 3 and I've lost a pile of weight. Until then we'll be hitting the trails on foot, doing lots of ground work, and will show in halter classes at the Paint shows. Eventually he will be my next show horse and trail buddy.

And now for pictures!!

This is Belle and I at a fun show in July

n867105061_3495159_3198.jpg

Belle and I at home

n867105061_4012640_9663.jpg

At a friends place

aug12-07010.jpg

At another fun show

Strathfunshow028.jpg

Sept4-07003-2.jpg

Bridleless

Aug19-07052.jpg

Hi Red and WB...

I'm 5'6" and weigh 179 pounds. I am going to be 45 years old the 21st of this month. I have a 16 year old and a 12 year old. Oh yeah, I got the husband too, lol.

I wish I weighed less. I'd love to be 155 but alas, I have no will power. The more I think about losing weight the more I eat. I had to confess to myself that I've been this weight for the past 2 1/2 to 3 years. I like to think this was a recent weight problem but it's not. I have no more muscle tone in my belly. It is just jelly [Crazy] .

I feel like I'm too heavy for my QH Max but he loves me anyway. I feel better on my QH Cotton but he's a bit bulkier than Max. I have started to run barrels. Last year at the end of the season I got the courage to get out there. This coming summer I'll start the club early and do the full season. I worry too much about what people think I guess. I have found that once your out in the pattern, the last thing you think about is what people might be thinking. I attached a video of my first run ever. This was after watching for a full winter season and most of the summer season:

th_MVI_0112.jpg

I have recently come to the conclusion that I have to like me for me I guess. I'm am the size I am and until I can get the will power to really change it, well you get my drift.

Thanks for the thread.

Deb

ps, I think I put on a couple more pounds since the picture below was taken :ashamed0002:

IMG_9159.jpg

edited for spelling

Edited by Debbie0492

Hi Krissy! Welcome!

I am so freakin Jealous of you right now it's not even funny! You can ride bridleless??? Did you train her yourself for that? How long did it take? Your mare is gorgeous, & she looks happy working with you! (My mare hides from me! The boys & the filly are easier to catch...)

Krista, Your mare is Beautiful! I think you are fine on her. She's built really nice.

BTW - Red, I love that blue horse of yours. I have always been partial to the Blue Roans. If I could have a 3rd horse, that would certainly be a first choice.

Can't forget a few pictures of my boy!

This is Connor and I in August (he would've been about 14 months in this picture) I'm about 5'8, if that gives you an idea of his height

n867105061_3895260_6028.jpg

n867105061_3895261_6409.jpg

And here is the boy in late September (about 15 months old)

n867105061_4164378_1139.jpg

n867105061_4164377_759.jpg

So there's my boy [Jump] Does he look like he'll be a good size to you?

Hi Deb! Great Run! I hear ya about what people think... I just joined a local saddle club this June... and after hitting 6 shows, only 1 or 2 people even notice or say Hi to me... which reminds me... meeting tonight. I went last month, & felt so out of place! But, I managed to invite myself on a camping trip, that was fun!

(Posted a thread about it on the trail riding forum)

LOL, Here's a video from my first show last summer... you did a lot better than I did...

th_Bos1stshow.jpg

I didn't place at all until I think it was the 3rd show THIS year. I got a 5th & a 4th, (Only because it was raining cats & dogs, most of my competition went home!) but hey, what a confidence booster!

Awww, Krissy (Or do you prefer Krista?) he looks like a baby version of my old gelding, "Bo"!

Deb... the Blue is "Rio", I got him in July. He's such a character, I love him already!

Oh, I forgot one horse... well, he's CJF's horse. (CJF Farrier on here, he checks in sporadically... we're engaged, no set date yet...)

Anyways, here's "Rocket", his 2 1/2 yr old Fox Trotter.

SEPT08107.jpg

I know NOTHING about gaited horses, but CJF swears by them. He said to get him started, he'll fix his gait when I have him going well. (If you ask me, it's like riding a cross between a drunk mule & a camel...)

Edited by redneckcowgirlmn

Thanks Red :happy0203: If you could have been in my head for both those seasons listening to my cousin and her daughter. I took so many mental notes about what I was suppose to do and what to watch for. It's a lot to remember if you think about it.

Rio is a good name. Fits him too.

Well, I have to get back to work.

Have a great day everyone.

Deb

Thanks girls! I did train Belle to go bridleless on my own, pretty much :grin: She used to have a bit of a rearing problem as a younger mare, and I'm so proud of how far she has come :smilie: A friend had me trying a bit of natural horsemanship, and before long we had Belle going in a rope halter instead of a bridle (and what a difference!) One day I just said to myself "Hey, try slipping the halter off and see what happens" I don't do much of the NH now, and but I think she could pick the bridleless thing up again no problem! Give it a try, it's a blast!

Almost forgot, I usually go by Krista :smilie: You both look great, by the way!!

Ok, Krista it is! [Huggy]

I tried riding my filly in just a halter... it worked for about 5 minutes...(bareback pic) but then everyone else started running through the big pasture, she lost all focus on me, & got a little squirrelly. I don't bounce as well as I used to... so I got off & got the saddle & bridle. Maybe I should try it again with her when it snows....

Oh red [Not Worthy] Bless your heart. We fat girls can ride and be damned proud of it! I'd post pics but I got video's loading so I can register my baby. I'm 44 (45 in Dec) 245 lbs. I have Advanced Degenerative Disc in my lower back. My right hip, knees and ankles are shot. I live in pain daily. Years of thoroughbred racing horses knocking me around and mucking stalls have taken their toll on my body so I've gone GAITED! In about 2 years I will be back in the saddle again. Riding stock horses makes it unable for me to move the next day. I am working on getting weight off but that's easier said than done. As long as I can get my foot in the stirrup I'm riding!

Keep doing what you love girls! [Huggy]

Alrighty! REMONA! YOU are now my new favorite person! Can I volunteer you to be my "Go To" person when I have questions about Rocket? I swear, I have no idea if he's messing me up or if I'm messing him up... but 2 rides so far, & both times he bounced my ***** RIGHT out of my bra!!! That's not normal..... right? [Crazy]

I would be proud to join your group! I am 44 and a single mom. I am 5'5" and weigh almost 250#. I have debated this very topic many times on the debate board. I decided long ago to love myself the way I am and not try to change anything to please anyone else. I am very happy with my life and wouldn't change a thing! I ride a 15 hand Appaloosa gelding and Johnny loves me the way I am, the same way I feel about him! He has a little weight problem himself, but it doesn't stop him from taking me on 6 hour trail rides through some pretty rough terrain!

I have to add that you all look great on your beautiful horses! And don't let anyone ever tell you different!

Here's Johnny and I on a trail ride a couple of years ago. If I can get it to upload!

Deb

100_0016.jpg

Welcome Loud Appy! Johnny is Gorgeous! You look great too!

Wow, this is getting a lot more attention than I ever thought it would! I hope we can keep this going for a little while... [Yay]

Thanks redneck for starting this. Yes i am about 300 pounds myself and aint proud of it. So for that fact i sold my riding horses and feel like i am to big to ride. The mistake i made was selling my three year old gelding cause peolple said i was too big to be on him. I am working on my weight and currantly own a 9 month weanling hoping i will loose enough weight to ride her and feel comfortable. i really wish i had a horse i could ride again cause i miss it so much.

000_0980.jpg

me november 2006 with my then yearling Apollo Sold him cause he was going to be pony size

000_0013.jpg

this me with the three year old i sold feb 2008

i can tell i lost some but not much so hopefully i will get back on track and loose more

Hi all :happy0203:

Saw the title of this thread and had to join in.....I am rather new to posting on the board, though I have been lurking here for quite a few years.

My name is Lynn and I am 37. I am 5'6" and about 215lbs. My daughter and I ride together. I tried my hand at barrel racing this past year and didn't do too bad, but broke my wrist at the end of a run in July and just haven't been able to get back in the swing, so just trail riding now, but that is better than nothing!! Also did some pole bending and western pleasure classes.

Anywho, hope ya'll don't mind me bargin in here, but like I said, saw the title and had to post, lol.

My mare and I at a show this summer

ccwha10.jpg

And one more

jewel.jpg

My daughter and I in the ribbon race at the same show

ccwha6.jpg

Hey can I join! My name is Jasmine and I'm full figured women myself. I'm about 5'10" and was a size 22 but now I'm down to a size 16 [Yay] my goal is a size 12. (I haven't been a size 12 since right after highschool.) I've been around horses all my life and I'm not about to give them up. Hopefully this spring & summer our mare Molly will be legged up and we can hit some barrel races ( She had an 08 foal and wasn't competeing), then still show Jr. Hubby wants me to start roping in shows, and I think that will be fun... nerve wracking but fun.

Here is a picture of Molly with Dollar (sorry really old picture from Sprin 08)

100_2029.jpg

The picture of me and Jr is from August at a team sorting we went to, and my team won it!

post-43558-1226603860_thumb.jpg

Hey, Tampa! That filly you have now... that's the one you JUST found out was N/H, right? Well, hopefully she's going to just be a carrier, & not symptomatic... my buddy Equi-Librium has an Impressive bred boy(he's N/N though)... & she's not exactly a tiny little thing either... but Louie is big enough to carry her AND me! Hopefully she'll pop in here & post a pic of him & her...

And it's all about our non judgmental equine friends, right?

Hey, here's an idea... what about a driving pony, till your little girl grows up?

My little fuzz butt is doing very well at hauling us around... CJF is pushing 270... the pony can pull him, me & the kid in the cart... he did the whole 6 mile loop around our place at a trot & never broke a sweat.

SUCH a good idea Red!

Hi everyone! My name is, well, whatever you wanna call me... my given name is Lacey. So Lace-o, Lucille... whatever hahaha.

My current weight is around 260, with most of it residing in my a$$. LMAO. I was told in high school that the reason it is so big, is because i ride so much. Therefor, it spreads to the sides instead of spreading to the back. So i guess you could say i have a redneck ghetto booty? HA. I was a lil skinny mini with bright blonde hair up until thrid grade, when my doctor put me on albutorol for my asthma, causing the side affect of gaining weight. By the time i was in 4th grade, my body pretty much exploded... :(

ANYWHO. I have 13 years of experience on the back of horse. I'd ridden/leased over ten before i got, my now old retired man, Rio when i was 14 (he was 16). I now have three wonderful boys. Rio - the herd matriarch, Quincy - my main man, and Chiko - my yearling mustang. I LOVE riding, it makes me feel good about myself, and people say i am quite a good rider. I'm more knowledgeable about horses and the way they work than most of the friends that i grew up riding with, and i set myself out to make a name for myself somehow. In my county, i guess you could say i did. I excelled at the 4-H shows, and Rio & I won high point at our local saddle club three times in a row. In 2006 we won all-around. Proud, Proud moments. :grin

I did all of Quincy's training myself, and he is capable of taking younger less experienced people for short lil rides as long as im around. I'm starting him on the barrel and pole pattern, but im not sure if thats what i want his job to be. He was bred for reining and i think i am going to take him to my teachers to get trained for it in a year or two. So his job is still in the air, all i know is that i love him.

As for Chiko, hes little. Very little. Im still crossing my fingers for a nice stout 14 hand mustang by next winter... so yeah... cross yours for him as well! He was a training project for school, and my boyfriend paid the adoption fee for my birthday because i would never shut up on how much i loved him and wanted a mustang. Best birthday present ever, i swear. :flirt:

They are moving home... TODAY. wOOt [Yay]

As for me? Well, im going to school at Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College, with a major in Equine Training & Instruction, and a minor in Equine Science. I plan on going to the Oklahoma Farrier School this summer for two weeks and then apprenticing with my farrier throughout the summer. Then maybe having a decent clientel by the beginning of Junior year to give me a decent income throughout the rest of college. BUT, after i graduate from SMWC, due to the economy, i am going to apply to Purdue's Vet Program, to get my associates in veterinary medicine.

I drive a Ford F150, dubbed Lucille. I have a wonderful, loving, caring, handsome, nerd boyfriend that i wouldnt trade for ANYTHING, and he loves me for who I am.

I'm used the looks i get at school when i show up to class, used to the harassment i got growing up about what i love to do. And i push through it, i know im going somewhere...

:grin:

Theres my story!

I will add pictures when i get to school tomorrow (highspeed!)... i only have dial-up at home... so yeah... not really accessible when im here.

Krista - I have seen many pictures and videos of you an Miss Belle. You are very balanced, have soft hands, and you and Belle make such a good team. How is the house coming? (good I hope!)

HEY DUNS, THERE you are!!!! Where ya been hiding?????

Hey Red! Ya I haven't been on the chat hardly at all. Just been really busy showing and getting ready for winter. So far it isn't looking like it is going to slow down.

Alright, I guess I'll join in too. I'm 5'11" and about 226. I joined weight watchers last night. I use to always be thin; then got pregnant, had a baby and got a divorce and somehow GAINED over 100 pounds. Seems I like them because my baby is almost 6 YEARS old now.

I have an older QH mare who is lame/retired. An Andalusian colt who just turned 6 months old. And I ride an Andalusian mare. Luckily Andies are 'war horses' so she can cart me around just fine.

My goal is to be thinner and fit when my baby is old enought to ride at 3 years old. The mare I ride had colic surgery when she had the baby so she and I are going to get back in shape together now. I'm excited to be getting back to riding again - it's been almost 8 months since I rode last. Except cooling out my friends horses for her, and that doesn't really count.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone. I love my horses and riding - and like Red, my kid is just now really old enough that I can actually do it now.

Woo hoo - go us!!

(I'll post pics later - gotta work for a bit now)

Welcome, Lynn! Come on in!

Thanks for the welcome :happy0203:

Guess I could add too....I am married and have a 17yo son and a 15yo daughter. Son has no interest in horses, nor does hubby, but daughter and I love them and riding. It's a huge stress reliever for us!!

This is fantastic! Come out of hiding ladies. There is absolutley nothing to be ashamed of!

We are ALIVE! [Yay] :yahoo:

red, I'm just now learning about gaited breeds since I got my SSH but I can hook you up with a great forum that is nothing but gaited horse people. They have helped me tremendously!

Hi, I'm Jodie and people just call me "Raps" [smiley Wavey] and I am overweight. I'm 32, child-free (unless you count the kitties and my gelding) and have a wonderful fiance who loves me the way I am. I'm 5'7 and I'm not sure of my exact weight. I've been overweight for my adult life, but up until around grade 8 I was slim.

I rode hunters and jumpers from age 7 to 24, and kind of got tired of it and wanted a change. My mom at that time got into roping, (she was 56) so I started going with her to practices, and it looked like a lot of fun, not to mention everyone was super friendly! So I started roping off and on, and a few years later got a bit more serious about it. So I bought my Quarter Horse gelding named Pedro who at 15.1h and 1250lbs has NO trouble carrying me. He has the old stock type build, all shoulder and hip! He was started on heeling and breakaway. Shortly after I got him we had a wreck, and I broke 3 ribs and fractured my T4 vertebrae. It really shook my confidence, and a year later we had another. He's been a pasture ornament at my parents' farm for the last 3 yrs, due to my lack of confidence and apprehension, and in April I moved him to a stable near me. I've been riding and working with him as much as I can, sometimes work gets in the way though!

My goal is to get him started back on cattle this winter, and join our jackpot roping assoc. in the spring! The first roping of the season is in May, right after the Finals.

He's progressing well, but he's not the type that you can leave for a week or two and hop right on and he'll be fine. He needs regular work, so we've encountered a few setbacks to where we've had to go back and start at the 'begining' but he catches up pretty quickly. I still have some confidence/fear issues, so I know that hinders me somewhat. I'm slowly getting better, and I don't do anything I'm not comfortable with.

Here's a pic or two of my guy. I don't have any of myself, I'm camera-phobic!

Free-lunging in the arena:

2263460500083624106S500x500Q85.jpg

2323208250083624106S500x500Q85.jpg

2554481760083624106S500x500Q85.jpg

Welcome, Cowgirl, Mare & Raps!

(Geez, I go to lunch quick, & we have more!!! WHY oh WHY did I put this off!!!)

Remona, I'd love to hear more on a gaited forum... pm me if you have to! (I tried hanging out on the gaited forum here for a bit... posted a couple threads on Rocket... no bites. Maybe I was asking too much?) I think I took a shower that day... so I don't think I smelled funny... [Crazy]

Duns, how's the babies doing?

(I met Duns back in April... took my mare to breed, but she didn't take. Jr is my favorite stud.... but I had to get Kelly back before my 9 yr old got here for the summer, it was going to be a surprise... that didn't work out. Probably one of those weird blessings in disguise things...)

Hi WB! Wow, 5'11"... No short horses for you, huh? So... what do YOU want to be when you grow up? (I haven't decided yet, myself!) :winking:

Yeah lol. My mare is 17hh and her filly is about 16.2. Me? Grow up? HA!