RollingThunder

Australia - The Movie=hugh Jackman, A Horse's Nightmare

If it would have been my horse, I would have chopped both of those stone hands of his off. Frankly, I was appalled that anyone would consider even printing a photo of a man snatching back so hard on the reins that a horse is tremendously gape-mouthed, eyes rolled back in his head with ears pinned.

Oh, but wait, it's Hollywood, so that mush be OK. And a popular actor like Hugh Jackman. So it must be doubly OK. Because romanticizing some guy ripping the mouth off a horse is such a good draw at the box office. I mean, it's not like millions of people will see that film and think perhaps that is the way you SHOULD ride a horse.

I always love the ASPCA disclaimers at the end of those films that say, "No animals were harmed during the making of this film." And then you see that photo and you think, "Yeah, right. I bet if you asked the horse, he'd tend to disagree with you a bit on that one."

Great! Another Hollywood production that features horses and does a botched up Job of presenting realistic if not ideally benevolent horsemanship. I hope the movie is better Roland. I wanted to walk out of the drive-in when we all saw "Flicka" together. Our local drive in had a "Bring your horse to the movies!" night a few years ago. Of course we had to do it and what fun I can tell you it was to spend an evening walking around bareback amongst the other patrons talking about our horses. I just wish the movie would have been just as honest and up front about how to start a horse.

William (historyrider)

Well, I haven't seen the movie "Australia" as yet. However, I agree that Hollywood needs to clean up its act so as not to give the public the wrong impression. I personally know a "horseperson" - who is at my stable - and thinks it is OK to do the things with horses that he has seen in westerns. Like, tying a horse up to a post with the bit in its mouth. On several occasions I have "yelled" at him for doing dangerous and not so nice things to his horses. [bang Head]

Willy? Historically speaking. How do you think horses over the last few centuries were tied up? Today, with knowledge and a more recreational purpose to horsemanship, we should aim for a better, more safer way to tie up I concur. Don't judge to harshly when you see something a bit antiquated. If the horse is trained well enough you could tie them to the pin of a hand grenade without worry. I am not advocating this particular practice however.

William (historyrider)

Hate to tell you but its pretty spot on for station life around here. Most stockman ride hard and tight, and they pull a lot. Campdrafters tend to ride with a pretty tight rein and the horses are often fighting the bit, not all of them do it but its very common. Most of the station horses I rode and ride have no mouth. They are used for work and thought of as work items. Not nice but true.

Exactly why I can't stand to watch 90% of the 'horse themed' movies out there. I too, hated "Flicka"('It's okay dad, you can shoot us' puhlease! :sick: ).

Honestly, I just can't enjoy the movie no matter what the underlying storyline is. I get too hung up on the horrid horsemanship and absolutely not true to life scenarios. Oh, and don't even get me started on the idiotic scripts they write for the 'vet' in those movies! GAH!

Exactly why I can't stand to watch 90% of the 'horse themed' movies out there. I too, hated "Flicka"('It's okay dad, you can shoot us' puhlease! :sick: ).

Honestly, I just can't enjoy the movie no matter what the underlying storyline is. I get too hung up on the horrid horsemanship and absolutely not true to life scenarios. Oh, and don't even get me started on the idiotic scripts they write for the 'vet' in those movies! GAH!

[Not Worthy] DITTO..

The only horse movie I REALLY liked was Hidalgo. He rode the horse the way the horse should have been ridden. He actually took lessons before, AND bought the horse afterwards. I love that movie.

I have to admit that I did enjoy 'Seabiscuit'. It was at least more believable, and of course some things were a bit Hollywood, but in general I found it decent. My dad is a racing fanatic, and is really big on history and bloodlines. Even he liked it.

Could you please post a link to the picture you are referring to? I have searched google images and cannot find any pictures of the movie that show what you are describing.

charliegirl is right.

It's kinda sad to see station-bred horses getting the treatment that they do. But i will stnad up for some station hands, eg my sister.

She bought a little station bred mare, and she's pretty timid because she's been handled so rough. But she loves little Ramona and the horse is apparently really smart.

but i have seen that poster.

I've seen the shorts for it, cos it hasnt come out here yet (we live in australia and we dont get to see it yet?) and thats exactly what I thought...

"Hugh, get off his faaaaaccceee"

what scares me, is that if Hugh did the rding, who was his freaking trainer?!

his trainer didn't do a very good job...

Here's another thought, maybe it's not the trainer. what about the director? what makes you think that the director didn't see one too many bad, old western paintings of horses wild eyed and mouths gaping, and think "that would look really cool as a poster."

Most of these hollywood types don't know squat about horses and horsemanship, just what "looks" good, and what sells, and I'm sure his target audience thought the mouth open pic probably "looked cooler" than a normal, calm horse.

Just my jaided thoughts on it. And oh, I can't watch most horse films either, because I center on the bad horsemanship or spend all my time sreaming "OMG, that is so not real!" at the TV, or my personal favorite "Get out of that horse's MOUTH!" [bang Head]

Boy could you just imagine a group of us crashing the premire of this event and all sitting together?

Hugh might have to crawl out the emergency door. I am still hoping it's a good movie but I clearly am sharing some doubt.

William (historyrider)

I just caught part of a piece on RFD TV re Billy Crystal, he feel in love with the horse he rode in City Slickers, I think his name is Beechnut, and bought him too. He used the same horse in City Slickers 2, thus just darkened the blaze on the horse's nose to look different. I can't remember the details of the riding in the movie, but from what I do recall, I think it was mild.

Also haven't seen the movie, but I agree that Hollywood has done a great dis service to western horsemanship with their portrayal of western riding

It is this very reason that people in the English disciplines have the impression that all western riding

consists of little real training, but instead relies on big bits with the horse jerked and spurred, galloping from one place to the next

Since many entry level and beginning recreation riders usually start by riding western, they adopt this style of jerk and spur method of riding, and many are led to think this is the norm for riding western.

Seen any good movies where the old California method of producing a bridle horse is portrayed?

How about the training that goes into a top reiner or western pleasure horse? Nope, these types of western riding have no interest for Hollywood, yet are surely the basics of good western training programs every bit as any progressive dressage program

No wonder there seems to be the attitude by those who never really studied a great western training program (and I don;t mean some NH program only), have the smug opinion that any horse needs to have some dressage lessons inorder to be a truly well trained horse. Definately far, far from the truth!

Also, in the time of the old west, horses were tools and modes of transportation. They were ridden and handled to get a job done, not just by good and dedicated horse people, but by anyone needing to get from point a to point b, with or without cattle.

Loook at Europe in the same time frame, and you surely would see the same degree of poor horsemanship , used by people not nessisarily horsemen or having any empathy for horses, but just to get a job done

The old hack in a rental stable , wasn't ridden with basic dressage principles, was was ridden as poorly as any western horse used for transportation. Unfortunately there just isn't a bunch of movies of the average European using horses in the same time frame as the western frontier time,not as exciting as the days of cowboys, Indians, gunfighters and outlaw horseback gangs

Black Beauty probably illustrates close to true reality of how horses were used amd ridden in Europe at the time-not all, like in the west, were ridden with good and humane horsemanship, whether English tack was on them or not

I also find horse movies very unrealistic. I think the theme of a young girl or boy taming that unmanageable horse, usually a stallion, is really growing thin!

At least pull the shoes from those' wildly' bucking broncs, or did the farrier shoe those horses before they were attempted to be ridden? Also, ditch the flank strap.

Even in the movie Hildago, among other un realistic components, was the horse being turned free with shoes still on. Guess they will fall off eventually!

I can't watch a lot of those horse movies either, just from the terrible horsemanship in them. I thought Australia looked like a good movie, until I saw some of the riding...It made me want to gag :sick:

But I do love those horse movies when the horses change breed/color all the time...I think it's hilarious!

There's one movie, Coyote Summer I think it's called...??? Anyway, in the beginning there's this wild fresian...Yeah. Perfectly groomed, perfectly tame, and it HAD SHOES ON!!! HAHA!! :rotf: I mean...Seriously?! They couldn't of thought through long enough during the making of this movie that most 'wild' horses don't have shoes?!

And throughout the whole movie, the horse went from being a jet black Fresian, to a dark brown Quarter Horse, to a bay Arabian, then to a black thoroughbred, and it's markings sure did change a whole lot. My friends and I were laughing hystarically by the end of the movie. It was NOT well put together at ALL! But I guess that's what a $1 DVD will end up being. We just picked it up at the grocery store because it was only a dollar and it had a horse on the front.

But it wasn't just the fact that the horse kept changing breed and color, but the whole movie was totally unrealistic, and terribly put together.

If you ever need a good laugh, I recommend that movie!

Sorry, that was slightly off topic, but I just had to share.

Edited by Wild Horse Feathers

Even in the movie Hildago, among other un realistic components, was the horse being turned free with shoes still on. Guess they will fall off eventually!

I'd forgotten that until you mentioned it. Hubby hates sitting through that movie with me, because I rant about that too!

What about the black stallion, when the kid tried to feed him punch? Ohhhhh, that drove me nuts. I remember there were some other scenes that annoyed me, but I can't remember them off hand. Oh, yeah, the funky riding helmet/trojan looking thing the kid rode The Black in. What was that director thinking?

Smilie -- they cut out the part where Frank Hopkins realized what he had done and was chasing after him with a rasp in one hand and nippers in the other yelling, "waaaaait Hidalgo ... I forgot your shoooooooooooes!"

What about the black stallion, when the kid tried to feed him punch? Ohhhhh, that drove me nuts.

Jimmy tries to drink my morning coffee every time. I told him it would stunt his growth (he's a wee bit under 16 HH).

Smilie -- they cut out the part where Frank Hopkins realized what he had done and was chasing after him with a rasp in one hand and nippers in the other yelling, "waaaaait Hidalgo ... I forgot your shoooooooooooes!"

[ROTFL] that's going to be in next years special edition, Director's Cut version!

Oh, and don't forget the movie Tom Horn. Besides the usual bucking bronc with shoes, we have a time wharp. Baled hay in the loft before the time of balers

Scottie must have beamed it there!

Well, I haven't seen the movie "Australia" as yet. However, I agree that Hollywood needs to clean up its act so as not to give the public the wrong impression. I personally know a "horseperson" - who is at my stable - and thinks it is OK to do the things with horses that he has seen in westerns. Like, tying a horse up to a post with the bit in its mouth. On several occasions I have "yelled" at him for doing dangerous and not so nice things to his horses. [bang Head]

I often tie Gunner with a snaffle, or his hack (i know its different with a hack) my horse is taught to tie, when i tie him, where i tie him, with whatever he has in his mouth. He is calm, in his home environment and rarely spooks at anything. I know theres always that chance, but if it's a quick thing he's fine. I normally just loop the rein around the post once-twice so he could pull it off. I dont see that big of a deal about it personally.

Jimmy tries to drink my morning coffee every time. I told him it would stunt his growth (he's a wee bit under 16 HH).

Gunner gets some of my Pepsi whenever I have some with me in the barn, it's hilarious. If I walk in the barn and crack open a can of pop, he neighs at me. If I walk closer to him he shoves his nose in his grain bin, then if I don't pour him some he attacks me with his hilarious nose for some :P It's rather entertaining :D

[ROTFL] Speaking of he or she. That drove me absolutely insane in Lonesome Dove!

Call's gray horse was the "he** witch", but it was a gelding! [ROTFL]

Could you please post a link to the picture you are referring to? I have searched google images and cannot find any pictures of the movie that show what you are describing.

Here ya go...

post-789-1227032671_thumb.jpg

Oh ... And NICE FEET, HUGH!

Good gawd. Who was in charge of equitation this flippin' picture. Not all Aussies ride THAT poorly, do they?

Just teasing you Aussies out there. I've seen a few ride and they put this to shame.

Ooh, I have another one. how about the first Zorro movie when Diego points out Alejandro's soon to be horse, and says it's an Andalusian. And it's actually a Friesian.

Oh Mercy!

That's the cover of Cowboy's and Indians this month?? That horse needs a caption bubble over his head saying, "What the $%&@!"

Owww.

William (historyrider)

Wasn't that same exact pose on the cover of a Louis Lamor book or some such western like that. Yup, as I said before, the director must have looked at too many of those badly done western paintings and thought, "hmmmm, that'd make a nifty poster."

You know, I studied art history in college (art major) and did you know that before photography was invented, most painters, especially of the western motif depicted horses running like a rabbit. Not a lot of artists really knew how horses truely moved until high speed photography was invented. I forget who the first photographer was that actually shot frame by frame the complete movement of a horse, and that's when artists took note and started painting horses moving correctly.

I'm really quite surprised, knowing that, and guessing where his influence came from, I didn't see a poster cgi with that bunny rabbit hop that a lot of westerners painted horses doing when running.

I'm trying to find a painting to illustrate what I'm talking about, and I'll be danged if I can't find one.

Aha, well, I couldn't find a western, but others were guilty of it too.

gericault11.JPG

Edited by The Sugar Lady