RollingThunder

Australia - The Movie=hugh Jackman, A Horse's Nightmare

I liked the movie... although the horsemanship was lacking in a few areas. There was some pretty cheesy "computer animation" parts as I recall too.

But Hugh was yummy.... mmm...

Anyways, I agree though, the pulling-yanking-jerking thing is so uncalled for in the movies. If your actor can't ride well enough then get him a stunt double!

I really really really despise the old westerns (actually I've seen it in a lot of modern day movies too) where they're spurring the heck out of their horses and yarding on their face at the same time. YIKES!!

LOL The absolute worst I think I've seen is either the one time I was watching "Little House on the Prairie" when I was little and there was some horse race scene where "Laura" was racing her horse against someone else... The scene went from a close up of the little girl on the horse getting ready for the race and then a shot of the race and it was REALLY obvious that that "little girl" was not a full grown man dressed in a dress with a bonnet "racing" the horse. Sooo funny!!

Or in the sequel "International Velvet". Painful. The orginal horse "The Pie" is a big chestnut with a big blaze and the movie was made in the 40's. The sequel was made in the 60's or 70's and "The Pie" was now a big bay... Do some research people!!!

Oh gimme a break.

I saw the Australia at the theater and all I have to say is this. I have seen worse riding right here on HC and do you know whats sad about that? Unlike Hugh Jackman, we ARE horse people and should know better. And I'm willing to bet that the horses used in the film certainly weren't the easiest to ride.

Get over yourselves.

:rolleye0014:

Oh gimme a break.

I saw the Australia at the theater and all I have to say is this. I have seen worse riding right here on HC and do you know whats sad about that? Unlike Hugh Jackman, we ARE horse people and should know better. And I'm willing to bet that the horses used in the film certainly weren't the easiest to ride.

Get over yourselves.

Wow. Was this really necessary?

The riding was horrible. In the scenes I'm talking about they LITERALLY looked like they were riding the bouncy horse in front of Walmart. This post wasn't about how people here on HC ride. It was about a multi-million dollar movie (that was done pretty poorly in some people's opinions). I don't understand why this topic upset you enough to tell us to "get over ourselves".

Or in the sequel "International Velvet". Painful. The orginal horse "The Pie" is a big chestnut with a big blaze and the movie was made in the 40's. The sequel was made in the 60's or 70's and "The Pie" was now a big bay... Do some research people!!!

I also thought in National Velvet the Pie was a gelding.. maybe I need to watch it again.

Wow. Was this really necessary?

The riding was horrible. In the scenes I'm talking about they LITERALLY looked like they were riding the bouncy horse in front of Walmart. This post wasn't about how people here on HC ride. It was about a multi-million dollar movie (that was done pretty poorly in some people's opinions). I don't understand why this topic upset you enough to tell us to "get over ourselves".

This topic didn't "upset" me. When I think that people are being a little rediculous, I say so. Thats all.

Edited by SkipJacksLady

This topic didn't "upset" me. When I think that people are being a little rediculous, I say so. Thats all.

I guess it works both ways then. I think you are being a little rediculous too and I don't understand why but that's ok. Whatever floats your boat.

Oh gimme a break.

Get over yourselves.

Get over yourself, Skip, and re-read the original post. [bat Eyelashes] It has more to do with the fact that poor riding behavior is glorified, thus propagating the whole "snatch and yank" method of riding that we see running rampant here and on trails all over the place.

Yes, we're horsepeople, and we all should know better. The problem you missed in the original post was that there are people (especially youths) who AREN'T horse people who are going to think this is an acceptable way to handle a horse.

If I had come on here and posted a picture of myself and one of my horses in that exact same pose, I would have been run out of HC on a rail, or at the very least on the end of one of Mudder's famous spoons. And I guarantee you, it would have had nothing to do with the fact that I don't resemble Hugh Jackman, and everything to do with what is happening to that horse.

As far as how easy these horses were to ride, I'd have to say that most movie-set horses are actually impeccably trained. No, a do-it-all Trigger-type horse is not an easy horse to find. But you can find several who fit all the necessary roles accordingly. And with the seemingly unlimited resources of many of the movie budgets, finding the right, easily ridden horses for a given movie, would be simple enough to do.

Unfortunately, Hollywood has always put more of a premium on the actor's face, pecs and glutes than they have put on their skill as a rider.

Which is what the actual original post was about.

And some more cannon fodder.

04-hugh-jackman-horseback.jpg

Can we all please brace against the poleys and yank on our horse's faces?

And for heaven's sakes! Look at those widow-makers there! Seriously. I think on a Western saddle they call them "bear traps." Come on! My poley's aren't even that big.

And hey, don't you all know that the perfect way to keep a helmet on your head is to let the chinstrap dangle by a few inches? Gets a little itchy on the beard, or perhaps it looks more macho, like all those 1950s war movies.

hugh-jackman-horseback-06.jpg

But hey, at least I found a picture of him horseback with his heels DOWN. LOL.

Edited by RollingThunder

... in the sequel "International Velvet". Painful. The orginal horse "The Pie" is a big chestnut with a big blaze and the movie was made in the 40's. The sequel was made in the 60's or 70's and "The Pie" was now a big bay... Do some research people!!!

Sarah Brown in International Velvet was the niece of Velvet Brown, the girl in the original National Velvet movie. It was not a remake of the original story, just a similar story line. The horses were also 2 different characters -- "The Pie" in the original movie and "Arizona Pie" in the sequel. I did my research. LOL!

The guys that taught them to ride are very well known cutting trainers here, Frank Green and Craig (cant spell his last name!) The poleys are normal size, in the era that the film was set in they actualy should have been bigger. And I still stick by what I said before around 80% of station horses are ridden like that, most of the stockman really hang onto their horses mouths. Bad yes real here, yes again.

And some more cannon fodder.

04-hugh-jackman-horseback.jpg

Can we all please brace against the poleys and yank on our horse's faces?

And for heaven's sakes! Look at those widow-makers there! Seriously. I think on a Western saddle they call them "bear traps." Come on! My poley's aren't even that big.

And hey, don't you all know that the perfect way to keep a helmet on your head is to let the chinstrap dangle by a few inches? Gets a little itchy on the beard, or perhaps it looks more macho, like all those 1950s war movies.

hugh-jackman-horseback-06.jpg

But hey, at least I found a picture of him horseback with his heels DOWN. LOL.

RT .... looks like they've got his horse 'dressed for success', nice med thickness mouthed ring snaffle w/leather keeper to maybe save him pulling the bit through the horse's mouth (I'd have choked up on it a bit), splints, BEAR TRAP to keep the rider stable and maybe NOT rip the horse's face off balancing.

Helmet straps? NOW you're just pickin'! It's to keep him from getting 'hat hair' ... I mean you know how hot his hair is.

Dude .. he's an actor, not a horseman. I think he faked it pretty well. The bay horse likely lived and moved on to play another day, especially if the man on the white/gray/whatever horse was the wrangler. His posture on a horse says he could soothe the bay's soul in between bouts of being an actor's mount.

Sarah Brown in International Velvet was the niece of Velvet Brown, the girl in the original National Velvet movie. It was not a remake of the original story, just a similar story line. The horses were also 2 different characters -- "The Pie" in the original movie and "Arizona Pie" in the sequel. I did my research. LOL!

LOL yes I know it was a sequel and that Sarah was supposed to be the niece. However, Arizona Pie was "Supposidly" a colt by "The Pie", who in the original movie was a GELDING and also a CHESTNUT. In international velvet they protray "The Pie" as a bay, stallion. I guess they wouldn't have had a story without it though. lol

wow. Poor horse. Has Hugh Jackson ever ridden a horse before this movie?

I seen him on a talk show, when this movie was getting ready to come out.

He said, he didn't know how to ride a horse.

I think i read the book "National Velvet" once...wasn't the Pie supposed to be a Piebald, hence the name?

Seabiscuit was ok but the original one from the 40"s/50's (can't remember) with Shirley Temple was better I thought....better riding too. They screw up the timeline in both though.

My brother and I had our cousins over last weekend and we watched a John wayne movie....anybody notice that whenever they shoot a bad guy/indian/whoever in those, they yank back on the reins and the horse falls over and squishes them before getting up and running away? That really really bugged me.

Lets remember this is the movies. Yes, I also don't like the jerk and spur method that western horses are ridden with in western movies, but I don't go to movies to show children or other entry level people good horsemanship any more than I refer them there to lessons in driving a car correctly

There are many good training videos out there, as well as books.

When hubby and I watch movies, I notice what is wrong in the horse portion (incorrect gear for the time peroid, shoes on broncs, flank straps applied to make those horses buck, and the list goes on, but what I see there is no more real to me than I expect to be beamed up anytime soon by one of the Star treck crew!

Hubby, ahistory buff and gun collector, notes all the incorrect guns, ammo, tanks, airplanes used in movies for a certain time period or nationality. To me they are just guns, not a Russian world war 11 gun versus one the allies used. I'm also unaware most of the times when blanks instead of live ammo is fired.

Point being, movies are entertainment, not documerntaries or training examples

If I want to judge hgow a horse is ridden or trained, I go to actaul training videos.

True. But then you know the difference. The problem, as before stated, is for those who do not, and the willingness of Hollywood to perpetuate a riding behavior you and I feel is abusive as acceptable.

So then, seeing little children 'bond' with that unmanageable wild stallion, is their average person going to put their child on old studdly in the back pen that has dumped every trainer who tried to ride him?

I think the danger created by some of these child/stallion senerios, far as copy cat and reality, far out strip the horsemanship ,or lack there of, in the movies.

There will always be gulible people, those that become influenced by video games, loosing themselves from reality, and those that watch wrestling, horses ridden in movies,,and impossible car racing in the movies, taking what they see at face value.

I have seen worse riding at many open gymkana shows and at rodeos, far as being rough on ahorse's mouth.

Now those situations are for real, and maybe we should start there.

As for reality, ever watch how some working ranch horses are actually ridden?? The two are not as far apart as one might think or hope for!

Just look at the time frame, and look at an old winning reining picture. Horses were ridden like that. You will not see the reining finesse of today. In a stop, you will see the horse with front end jamed into the ground, legs braced, with the rider having a heavy hand on the bit, and horse reacting not much different than in the picture posted from the movie. Very common in these old reining pictures to see a horse throw up the head, mouth open,in response to the heavy application of the bit in the stop.

has any one noticed that almost everytime there is a horse in a movie it always neighs or nickers? That kind of bugs me, and i don't know about you but when i'm riding, my horse rarely whinnies, unless another horse outside has done it first...and in every movie they use the same neighing sound effects.

Also has anyone seen Come H**L or High Water?

if not, DON'T!

it's horrible, they use brand new modern type saddles and it's supposed to take place after the Civil War. And i didn't know every horse back then had its mane cut like a pleasure horse [Question] . the movie didn't even make sense...

I also had a hard time watching Australia, there are such things as getting a horse to stop with out using the reins so much...

Edited by I love Tater

The problems I have stem from also using incorrect guns and clothing. That drives me batty to see someone with a Colt SAA in any movie prior to 1873.

I even had an issue with Appaloosa considering Viggo's character was firing and 8-gauge shotgun. Now, those guns did exist. They were used on riverboats and in places like the Chesapeake Bay for duck hunting. They also laid out an almighty kick. In the book, the character is a very large man, capable of handling such a recoil.

However, Viggo's a might scrawny to shoulder that and not need a relocation of the old ball and socket joint. LOL.

But it was really nicely done, and my buddy David Carrico did the gunleather and saddles for the movie, and he did a fantastic job of keeping them period accurate.

So then, seeing little children 'bond' with that unmanageable wild stallion, is their average person going to put their child on old studdly in the back pen that has dumped every trainer who tried to ride him?

I think the danger created by some of these child/stallion senerios, far as copy cat and reality, far out strip the horsemanship ,or lack there of, in the movies.

There will always be gulible people, those that become influenced by video games, loosing themselves from reality, and those that watch wrestling, horses ridden in movies,,and impossible car racing in the movies, taking what they see at face value.

I have seen worse riding at many open gymkana shows and at rodeos, far as being rough on ahorse's mouth.

Now those situations are for real, and maybe we should start there.

As for reality, ever watch how some working ranch horses are actually ridden?? The two are not as far apart as one might think or hope for!

Just look at the time frame, and look at an old winning reining picture. Horses were ridden like that. You will not see the reining finesse of today. In a stop, you will see the horse with front end jamed into the ground, legs braced, with the rider having a heavy hand on the bit, and horse reacting not much different than in the picture posted from the movie. Very common in these old reining pictures to see a horse throw up the head, mouth open,in response to the heavy application of the bit in the stop.

Thank you! Finally, someone who gets it!!

I live in CT and we went to the big Ox Ridge Horse Show where they do some grand prix level jumping and there are some expensive horses and big riders there. I saw horses there with their mouths gaping and their heads yanked higher than Hugh Jackman! I haven't been to a show at that level in years and was so disheartened to see how some (not all) of the riders handled their horses. Hugh rode for the movie and then it was done, these people keep riding these horses this way every day. Ouch!