Sign in to follow this  
Jump-4-JOY

What Are Your Winter Plans?

So, I feel like we need a conversation going on this board...

What are your winter plans? Why? How will they help obtain your goals for the year? Or whatever you feel like mentioning.

I've started up taking lessons on Emma when I come home on the weekends. So I guess throughout the winter we'll be working on Em's manners and trying to break her of her nasty bucking habit. I'll hopefully be able to ride some different horses as well which will be exciting.

Dressage, dressage, dressage, dressage, and... wait for it... dressage! My paint jumps well but we'll be limited by our flatwork. I've done the floating of the teeth. physio (for her and I) saddle fitting and I've just purchased a dressage saddle so really there is no reason not to improve. I'd like to get her really using her hind end and developing the strength there as she is conformationally built flat so it's tough for her.

I'd like to feel more effective using my leg at the sitting trot, hopefully the new saddle will help put me in a stronger position. Being 6ft tall on a 16hh horse makes it interesting when the stirrups get lengthened.

I'd like to get out of my head a little more and be more focused on the present then overanalyze while riding stadium/dressage. Oddly I never seem to have an issue with that XC.

I'd like to start the season with some strong pre-trainings and then move up to training mid season.

Getting my horse sound. We're at 6 weeks and counting. Thanks lovely mud.

Once we finally get that over with, we'll be doing a lot of dressage. I'll have to mix things up with gymnastics, because the indoor is too small for courses and the mareness gets very bored with dressage. But her dressage needs work. It's there, it's just a matter of getting her to that next level to improve our scores.

Well, IDEALLY...I'd be in TN for December and January, Florida in Feb, and Aiken for a week in March. Reality? The latter two are not going to happen.

So, instead, I'll go to TN for December and January. Then for the rest of the winter while I'm stuck in snowy MI I'll work on my dressage and keep doing indoor jumper shows.

Goals:

Get both horses qualified for the Invitational Winter Jumpers, as there is prize money on the line, and I need prize money. So far both ponies are racking up tons of series point and well on the way to being invited.

Keep both ponies fit. The 400' long indoor aids in this, as I gallop indoors when there aren't too many people around the be irritated by this.

Pray that Marly is happy with 45 mins on the horse walker instead of winter turnout. After two nearly fatal winter turnout accidents in two years, due to less-than-grand pasture footing, I quit at that game. This winter it's stall, walker (set for walk and trot), lots of riding, and the occasional indoor arena turnout. If he gets unhappy I'll reasess. But it's going ok so far.

BIG GOAL -- Move up to Prelim next summer. Don't ruin the prospect of that over the winter.

i have a lot of plans... me and my trainer just had a long planning session last week :P

hereeee it is for miss Lili:

End of november (after her neck is all better) through December- 2 dressage rides (one will be a lesson), 2 fun/hack/trail rides (one may be substituted with jumping), and one day of sets! that is per week.

january- same thing but we will begin doing more jump lessons, gridwork type thing. i'm also taking a clinic with carol klozowsky (im not sure of her last name, its something like that) in which we will have one dressage lesson + one sj lesson- im excited!!

february- same thing. do a dressage show and a jumper show at the Novice level.

march- add in xc schooling and do a CT at the novice level

april- compete in the first event- Redland Hunt HT at BN.

may- do a unrecognized HT at Novice.

June- compete in Seneca Valley HT and Waredaca HT at Novice- both are recognized

Then... july i am gone... my trainer will take over and probly take her to a HT

August- get back in training & compete at the Waredaca HT recognized N.

Sept- Marlborough HT N. -recognized

Oct.- Maryland HT N-recognized

Nov.-Rubicon HT N-recognized

hahah thats Plan A- if everything goes well. im really excitedddd and im also planning to throw in a few foxhunts over the winter.

for daisy, basically my plan is to ride her at least 3x week and keep her somewhat fit. I want to take her to a dressage show in january or feburary =) shes doing great!

Edited by Lex

BIG DITTO to event_ryder.

Dressage dressage dressage. and look for a dressage saddle that helps my postion, instead of the one I have, that i struggle to be in the right postion, which wasn't that big of a deal a couple years ago. urg. to the ever changing horse. (this would be dressage saddle #3)

I actually found an upper level dressage barn, that is 20 min. from the other branch campus, that is looking for a Working Student, that would have allowed me to go to school days a week.. but at the moment, its looking like i won't be able to do it... unless my mom is able to get a job., which will enable me to save up enough money for a semester of food....

So we'll see.

I'll be pulling Heidi's shoes and taking it easy this winter. She's not going to get it completely off, she's too silly for that, but she will be hacking every other day rather than just once a week.

Dressage will be focused on softening, bringing up her back, the usual. I'd like to get her stretchy circle better so that we can move up to Novice in the spring.

Jumping, again, the usual. Grids to get her a bit tighter in the front end, and working on staying steady all throughout the course in a nice, balanced canter.

Copper is hopefully actually going to be ridden. Right now, he's used 2 days a week in walk-only lessons because he's the only horse here little enough for 7 year olds just starting out. *sigh* poor guy. I've got to do something with him.

Riley: Stay sound (Cross fingers- first ride in 6 weeks was today- 10 minutes walk trot). Get back to 3rd, go to Florida and kick butt in the big leagues, and get my bronze.

Amore: Umm, I'm sick of planning stuff with her only to have it backfire. Take it day by day.

Frasier: continue to work on dressage, maybe prepare for a schooling show, continue with low level jumping. Get sold.

Bailes: if he comes back from his injury, I get the fun fun task of rehabbing a stall-rested, year off, spooky when in full work training level event horse in the cold and windy winter.

Right now I'd love nothing more than for Riper to already adjust to the cold weather. EVERY year he gets to be a real pain the yah-zoo around this time, he's argumentive in the saddle and a jerk on the ground too.... I'm trying to ignore it for now. November's almost over.

I'm planning to work on my turns and jumping in the indoor as well as continue my intensive dressage training... I need to be able to sit thru a whole dressage test which is not something I can currently do very well! I may do a few local clinics here and there if money permits, but other than that, not much going on for me and the Ripey man!!!

P.S. Trainer is pushing us to do the Prelim CT in March... I'm already nervous.

Riley: Stay sound (Cross fingers- first ride in 6 weeks was today- 10 minutes walk trot). Get back to 3rd, go to Florida and kick butt in the big leagues, and get my bronze.

Thought you sold him?

I hope to just make it through the winter, LOL! We're due for a cold one... But of course, they say that every year! I'm stocking up on warm riding clothes so that I can continue to attempt to ride from now until Spring. Sometimes it's just too darn cold.

BTW, what's the coldest weather you'll work your horse in? When is the cold air harmful to a horse's lungs? I generally don't like to push it below 10 degrees outside.

Jaggar and I continue to work on w/t: transitions, bending, lateral work, engaging hind end, and going relaxed without bulldozing into a canter. We're really improving... slowly but surely!

My goal for the next 10-12 months is to get Jaggar doing solid Training level tests (w/t/c) with decent scores. I'm crossing my fingers that we're able to join up with a trainer this Spring, and that we get to go to the Cornhusker Classic Dressage Show (Lincoln, NE, I think this year) in the early summer.

As for jumping, I'd like to start Jaggar on cavalletti and small cross rails.

Edited by Sylves

Nope! Sold Remmy, the black baby. Their names are sorta similar.

Ah, that explains a lot. I was thinking you sold your upper level dressage horse (the one in your avatar)!

Parker is doing his, hopefully, last BN event next weekend at Pine Top. He is completely ready for Novice physically, but mentally he baby brain is still getting there. He just gets out on XC and has a brain overload. Being on course is so different than schooling and he doesn't quite understand the whole canter, jump, slow down for next jump, canter...he just RUNS because thats what he thinks he's supposed to do. Pine Top will be a good test for him.

If all goes as planned at Pine Top we will be moving up to Novice early next year, prob around Jan or Feb. And I'd LOVE to have him at Training level by late summer/fall, but that's a while away.

In between competing I plan on trailering over to Aiken to train with some of the BNT's over there. I just moved to college here so I don't have any contacts just yet. Sally Cousins had an ad up saying she was accpeting new students down here so I think I might get in contact with her. She's from up north though so I don't know of anyone who's ever trained with her....anyone on here know about her? In my USEA magazine she was on the leaderboard for...I want to say advanced? so obviously she knows her stuff.

Hopefully everyone has a safe, sound winter!!!

Nah, she still has Riley (I mean, come on, she has stuck by him all of these years!). I do wish, KTS, that Remmy was mine though. Very sad, very sad.

Ready for it? Dressage!

I am worried that we are going to get quite ring sour and get the "winter blues", which wouldn't be good, but I've been given as assignment to set up a small crossrail once a week and practice seeing/calling my strides, which is a new concept. It will be hard to do, however, because the covered arena gets so gosh darn crowded!

BIG PLANS: Move up to BN if Pony feels healthy, sound, and ready for it. If not, *shrugs* I'll be disappointed, but I'll live. The plan is go to an Intro event at FH first, than BN at PF in early summer. Than off to college. :( / :)

P.S.--How are you guys keeping your horses from going ringsour or totally sick of dressage?

Bailes: if he comes back from his injury, I get the fun fun task of rehabbing a stall-rested, year off, spooky when in full work training level event horse in the cold and windy winter.

Bailes? Is this a new one?

Parker is doing his, hopefully, last BN event next weekend at Pine Top. He is completely ready for Novice physically, but mentally he baby brain is still getting there. He just gets out on XC and has a brain overload. Being on course is so different than schooling and he doesn't quite understand the whole canter, jump, slow down for next jump, canter...he just RUNS because thats what he thinks he's supposed to do. Pine Top will be a good test for him.

If all goes as planned at Pine Top we will be moving up to Novice early next year, prob around Jan or Feb. And I'd LOVE to have him at Training level by late summer/fall, but that's a while away.

In between competing I plan on trailering over to Aiken to train with some of the BNT's over there. I just moved to college here so I don't have any contacts just yet. Sally Cousins had an ad up saying she was accpeting new students down here so I think I might get in contact with her. She's from up north though so I don't know of anyone who's ever trained with her....anyone on here know about her? In my USEA magazine she was on the leaderboard for...I want to say advanced? so obviously she knows her stuff.

Hopefully everyone has a safe, sound winter!!!

Have you tried single fences and slowly building them into a course?

I went to an Eric Smiley clinic, and that's all he had us do. Heidi was amazing. Out on cross country, we'd jump a fence out of a nice canter, get the nice canter back, and stop. We'd sit for a set, and do the same thing until the canter stayed steady. Then, we'd add a second, do the same thing, add a third, and so on.

The difference in Heidi was incredible. She does the same thing, and I struggled for the longest time with getting her back between two jumps, in the corner, etc. When really, she just didn't know. Once she understood that you look, jump, and continue on as if nothing happens, she was awesome, and we were doing courses like little hunters.

Ilovedobby- cross training!!! Have you tried ground driving/long lining for dressage? It's great- really gets you aware of your hands. You can practice pretty much everything with them. I find after long lining or driving that I'm a lot more consistant with my connection, I also will long line on cold days as it is quick to set up and is easy to school without getting the horse hot and sweaty. I'll drive her over small jumps, up and down hills and through spooky stuff.

I drive my event horse- It's a nice for her fitness too. We started in March, she really enjoys it and it's just as much fun cantering through water in a cart as it is riding!

DSC_0015.jpg

n698825362_4094671_7870-1-1.jpg

Pic one is us schooling XC in June, the second is us warming up for the precision driving for Battle of the Breeds at the Spruce Meadows Masters.

Dressage and hacking. Then introduce Scotch back into jumping. He's been staying sound for a few months now *crosses fingers* And am aiming to get him back into eventing.

This winter plans

Solid first level work and start to introduce him to more 2nd level movements. Refine our right leg yield is definate must. Sharpen him up to my aids overall.

April starts the competition season, we'll see were I am at college wise before we start up the dressage season.

Save up money so I can ride w/ my BNT more often. Try to spend 2-3 days down at his dressage barn this winter.

Buy a new dressage saddle that fits Scotch.

Depending on fitness/soundness try to fit him into an event in late spring.

Maddux- RIDE w/ Sally! She's fabuuuulous. Go take a lesson w/ her when she heads to Aiken in Jan. Encouraging and knows her stuff. She comes to my friend's place for clinics at least 3x a month. Might head to Aiken (depending on class schedule) to train w/ her if I can afford it.

well i haven't taken lessons since summer, my main plan was to start taking lessons again. but my dad informed me that we can no longer afford to take lessons.

so

vito: ride 4-5 times a week, just get him in shape. get him broke broke broke and hopefully schooling low level dressage.

mary: get her in shape by the end of january/february. just doing dressage.

dobby, mine don't get arena sour/dressage sour because I keep my schedule the same for them indoors or out -- we gallop inside! I jack up my stirrups, put their normal galloping attire on, and abbreviate my gallops; no long trot or gallop sets, but instead interval work. We breeze long sides and collect short sides.

RockSolid.. your in MI Right? what kind of coats/gloves etc do you use?

Your lucky.. I wish my indoor was large enough to gallop in... Ours is tiny, we can set up 3 jumps and be extremly squished. Something is better than nothing I guess.

I'm praying that this winter doesn't get icy like last year... and hope I get some money for x-mas so I can invest in other winter riding stuff... so maybe I can ride outside in the snow and get something done.

**sigh** why do we have January weather in November?

Does anyone have anything exciting going on in their lives? I just have tons of homework.. and exams to get ready for. ((ick)) and I want to hear about something fun and exciting instead!! or some great adventure.

We weaned my filly, So now she's all grown up. She might actually end up being a steal gray instead of dark bay. i wanted bay or chestnut, but whatever I guess.

I'm on speaking terms with Mickey again. We took a break for a couple of weeks after VA HT. It was not a good horse trial at all.... nothing horrible happened. he just had a mental meltdown and I couldn't tap into his brain, and get him to focus., on anything.

What are your opinions about riding hard when the ground is frozen and it's 10 or below outside? My boy is barefoot (never wears shoes) and we ride in his field (not torn up) and his yard (very lightly torn up). Obviously, when the torn up ground is bumpy, it's more of a hazard than anything.

If the grass in his field was left long before the first freeze, will it add any kind of padding for riding (I'm talking about grass that was a ft + long before the first freeze, but now has all fallen over and is limp). Can the padding from the grass be compared to a manicured sand arena with regards to concussion on the horse's hooves and legs? I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to invest in the winter riding gear if I really can't ride at all because of the frozen ground.

Obviously, we won't jump or do anything crazy like that, LOL! I'd keep it to w/t, as it has been for the past 3-4 months (I'm restarting myself AND the horse, LOL).

Edited by Sylves

I know it's foolish, but I'm bidding on a quarter sheet- the kind that alternatively wraps around your legs to help keep you warm. I assume I don't do too much more than w/t, so it shouldn't get in the way...

I know it's foolish, but I'm bidding on a quarter sheet- the kind that alternatively wraps around your legs to help keep you warm. I assume I don't do too much more than w/t, so it shouldn't get in the way...

quarter sheets are awesome, i have a fleece one that i've started using. it makes them warm their backs up so much faster + keeps you warm! it doesn't get in the way at all- even if you only want to use it for warmup it still helps. especially if your only doing w/t, it definately wont get in the way. [Jump] & i dont think thats foolish!!

Bailes? Is this a new one?

The Bailey-bob! He's my sister's event horse. She just left for college, and he's been injured since this summer.

He's a point and click jumper, but dressage is very hard for him (and my sister never had the patience!).

He's been shown through training.

Me and him a couple summers ago:

DSCN0711.jpg

About ring sour:

Riley is a dressage addict. He adores being in work all the time, so no problem with him.

Amore, ehh, I do some free jumping and stuff, but dressage really keeps her limber and she needs to do it often.

Fraiser, I do a lunge day, or a jump/hack day, or I give him a week off. He's 4 and it not always mentally mature, and I don't want him to be burned out.

RockSolid.. your in MI Right? what kind of coats/gloves etc do you use?

Your lucky.. I wish my indoor was large enough to gallop in... Ours is tiny, we can set up 3 jumps and be extremly squished. Something is better than nothing I guess.

Yeah, I'm in MI. I AM spoiled with our current arena -- 100' by 400', though it's got a portable vinyl board fence dividing it into two 100' x 200' arenas. However, I used to gallop in a much smaller arena so I feel your pain.

My cold weather gear is intense, because I hate the cold, but also hate wearing too much "stuff" when I ride. So I layer like crazy. Barn manager said to me the other day "I don't understand how you're so warm when you never seem to be wearing that much!" so I had to explain my layering system. As soon as it's consistently in the 30's you'll find me wearing this deal, from inside out:

Cotton tank top or underarmour tank top (for below 20)

Thermal knit long-sleeve t-shirt

Cotton t-shirt

Fleece-lined down vest, very fitted (best $20 ever spent at target)

Fleece jacket + lined windbreaker OR down jacket

...everything is worn tight, so there's nothing baggy or floppy.

Then breeches, leather half chaps, hammerhead spurs, and these gloves:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?p...hcd2=1227489551

I love those gloves...SUPER warm, not bulky in the slightest, and they fit my hands, which is amazing because I have ridiculously long narrow fingers.

Top it all off with a skull cap and that's what you'll find me wearing October through March!

SR, have you tried silk long johns? Way better than knit thermals, and they're even LESS bulk.

Gotta check out those gloves that you love so much. I can never find a warm enough pair of gloves for my hands. The hands are always numb at the end of my barn visit, LOL!

Woot, woot, I just wanted to share that I won a pretty good looking jump saddle for only $66 off of ebay!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=190266711457

Like as if I really needed another saddle!!! Hubby isn't going to be pleased, but, seriously, could you pass it up? I mean, a beautiful saddle like THAT for under $100! I'm mean, seriously, we just spent double that (and then some) on groceries tonight!!!

quarter sheets are awesome, i have a fleece one that i've started using. it makes them warm their backs up so much faster + keeps you warm! it doesn't get in the way at all- even if you only want to use it for warmup it still helps. especially if your only doing w/t, it definately wont get in the way. [Jump] & i dont think thats foolish!!

I just won the quarter sheet as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=350125692218

I'm looking forward to trying the saddle and quarter sheet out!

Thanks for your input!

Love love my quarter sheets. Especially since Scotch is body clipped. I hack out in the one that is worn around the legs. You'll love your Sylves! Good luck w/ the saddle as well! :)

Jump for Joy- You must be in my area then if you went to VA HT?