Sign in to follow this  
Jump-4-JOY

What Are Your Winter Plans?

I will definitely have to look into those gloves.

I hate baggy floppy heavy things....

Does anyone have any full chaps and ride outside? Do they cut the cold at all?

I'm determined to ride outside if its not icy. Even if its just walking and troting in the pasture.

Or maybe I will just stick him on the treadmill the entire winter and not ride at all...

Sylves, congrats on the saddle!

Full chaps do cut the cold, for sure. Also handy because you can layer under them. I'm just normally a breeches n' half chaps kind of person, but full chaps are handy for riding outside when it's windy and cold.

Flatwork. And more flatwork. And you guessed it... more flatwork. I'm actually considering taking my jumping saddle home so I won't be tempted to jump.

I'm having some confidence issues so flatwork is in order. I also plan on doing a TON of no stirrup work! As much as I hate it, I need it desperately. :rolleye0014:

My winter plans will be shaped a lot by the fact that I have my HB in April and my C3 in September.

I'll start working with my trainer again in January on a weekly basis. Vegas has had A LOT of time off the past few months, so I'll get her working on a 5 or 6 day schedule again and foucs like mad on flatwork to really get synced like we weren't in late summer/fall. We need to work on riding back to front and not spending 90% of our ride just getting "warmed up" Come spring we'll start jumping more seriously and polish up novice level and make the transition to training level. I finally found a really good eventing trainer so I'm excited for this season!

I also want to work more on our driving - I doubt we'll ever compete, but I want to get her ready for team driving when I'm ready to get my second driving horse. What I really want to do is parades and hay rides and that sort of thing.

So that's what I'm looking forward to this winter :D

Oh man...winter...ugggh

After starting Allie back into work 3 seperate times and then getting hit with horrible weather, me getting sick, crazy hours at work, allie getting random pasture injuries, or finals week, I think she finally seriously is back in work. lol. We're doing a month of flatwork and trot sets up hills and then in February the gallop sets and jump schools will start. We are making a trip down to north carolina for our season opener in mid-March, so hopefully she will be fit and ready to go. But as of right now, she looks nothing like the eventer we ended the season with! Shes furry, fat, and has no muscle tone left. I guess it will be kinda interesting to see my little intermediate pony come back into shape :)

my plans are to rehab my event mare from a pasture kick that she sustained in late september [Me Cry]

she is almost recovered but it's better to give her the winter to just go back to the basics before she goes into the spring event season. Living in KS is really taking a toll on my riding schedule!!!

Luckily, I have my retired event mare to ride while my horse is laid up. She sustained a bowed tendon a couple of years ago, so no jumping, but she loves being a hack pony :)

I also get to ride my AMAZING trainer's horse (he's 5 and going training/prelim) and one of her project ponies (connemara/TB) for the winter and I'm leasing her in the spring.