Sign in to follow this  
JuniperZ

Mary King's Horse

Call again Cavalier was unfortunately put to sleep this afternoon due to a broken leg after a fall at an event. Not sure how well known she is in America, but he was an amazing horse and a sad loss to the eventing world [Angel] She must be really devastated :(

RIP Cavvy

Saw that. Very sad and unfortunate. Eventing hasn't found the turn around yet.

I would not call that competition an "event"-

Whoever came up with "express eventing" needs a smack upside the head, as far as I'm concerned.

I would not call that competition an "event"-

Whoever came up with "express eventing" needs a smack upside the head, as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't agree more, it was an absolute nighmare. Didn't go and see it myself but from what i've heard there were lots of falls and refusals and a few people pulled out of the XC. Stupid idea IMO to try to put XC into an arena - these horses are used to galloping over jumps with lots of space, not having go over huge solid XC jumps in a tight space! I also heard that the arena wasn't flattened after the rugby the previous day, so the surface was awful and quite slippery :(.

iirc only 6 people finished.

It makes me wonder why anyone even participated in it... oh, except for the giant prize money check.

Poor Mary King and poor horse. He looked like a lovely guy.

Really though- the short format is bad so let's make it shorter and tighter??

Really though- the short format is bad so let's make it shorter and tighter??

Ahh but we must get the general public interested in eventing, which can of course only happen if you stick it into an arena where lazy people can sit down so they don't have to walk around the countryside enjoying the fresh air whilst watching the XC :rolleye0014:

This is Just pathetic!

I would expect better from these riders to participate in such a ridiculus format of eventing. There is a reason for the phases and they way eventing is formated. Horses are not prepared to run about an enclosed arena at gallop speeds jumping maxed out fences!

Its a shame. I think the people behind this need to sit on there hands for a while and think of what is best for the horses not their pocket books!

So terrible. I just cannot wrap my mind around why anyone though this would be a good idea.

Lets hope it does not become a commonplace competition.

Lets hope it does not become a commonplace competition.

I really can't see how it will after the number of eliminations this year, they've surely got to realise something's wrong when only 6 competitors actually finished

I just watched the video of the accident. The horse was jumping around the course wonderfully, he just jumped the 2nd corner too far to the right (over the wide end) and landed on top of it.

Terrible. He was such a wonderful horse.

I just watched the video of the accident. The horse was jumping around the course wonderfully, he just jumped the 2nd corner too far to the right (over the wide end) and landed on top of it.

Terrible. He was such a wonderful horse.

It's more than that. A horse competing at that level of eventing should be able to clear the wider end of the corner. He got flat and strung out, rider got left behind, who knows what was going on with the footing, and he was likely getting tired from jumping and galloping so much in such a short amount of time. Such a bad combination of factors. :confused0024:

I am curious to see who's bright idea it was to put cross-country into a enclosed arena. Seriously, were they even thinking of the horse and rider? Also, what about the rider cause they should have thought to!

I am sorry that Mary King lost her horse at this event, but part of the blame is on her cause she took a horse that is used to going on cross-country course set over miles and put it on a cross set with in the parameters of an arena. I just hope she and everyone else learned for this tragedy.

I just watched the video. The lady that was filming goes "Oh. well. Too bad. That horse will have to be destroyed". It pisses me off! I just dont understand where people think they have the right to do that to another animal (we ARE animals too... just the smartest ones... or so they say). Its disgusting is what it is. Then, we get pissed off when we get a horse that is vicious or is "rogue". Good for them! What animal would willingly become the subject to that kind of abuse? and it IS abuse. No rest between XC and the stadium? Galloping in a arena like that? PLUS... aren't there enough horses that have had heartattacks with short format, then to go and do indoor eventing like that?

I think that every person who entered that competition, the creators, and the spectators should be shot. INCLUDING MARY! Its rediculous. I love to watch eventing and hope to do it someday... but not if its going to become the next sport to exchange the love of the animal for the love of the money. We already have that in the WP, EP, and racing world.

Its sick! Soooo mad right now!