Sign in to follow this  
TracyA

Dressage Chit Chat #23

It's been awhile since I have had time to post. Between school and work, I've been busy. But the semester is winding down, so soon I'll have more free time. I really just need to get through the next week, then things should settle down.

I arrived at the barn yesterday to see signs posted -- signs that were not on the stalls on Friday. "Due to the holidays, horses will be outside for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Stalls will not be cleaned." Ummm, Hello? I pay full board FOR a stall. Not only will stalls not be cleaned, there is no bedding anywhere on the property. So even if I wanted to clean stalls myself, there's nothing to put in the stalls. And if the horses are out in turnout for five days, the are NOT getting grain or supplements. After seeing this, the trainer and I went to another facility nearby and arranged to move our horses on Monday.

But wait, there's more! Today, one of my roommates went out to the barn to feed grain to our horse. Only to find out that there was no hay. When he went out to feed, normally well behaved horses were either charging him or attacking each other over the food. So late this afternoon, we went and bought hay cubes. I have a fair bit of beet pulp, so we soaked some of that. The BO had an absolute hissy fit that we were there and feeding the horses. Yes, we found a bale out near her belgian (who also has a round bale), so we took a square bale up for our guys (six horses in all). BO said we could just pack up and leave if that's how we were going to be, then fell silent when the trainer said "We are!"

I am so mad, I could chew up nails and spit out bb's. Once we have horses and stuff out, I am *seriously* considering reporting her to animal control and the sheriff. I don't know where our board money is going, but it isn't going into feed and bedding. The trailer arrives at 2:00, and we'll be out as soon as we can load up all our stuff and horses. Instead of nursing my sinus infection in bed before classes tomorrow, I'm out in the wind and snow to help make sure our horses get fed. And we're buying our own food to make sure there is something to feed. I am ready to present the bo with a bill for the food we bought, and our time and gas. I don't care if she thinks someone else is supposed to do the chores, the board check still goes to her. Which means she needs to cover if the chore person is out of town. In the meantime, our horses are in their unbedded stalls with hay, hay cubes, beet pulp, and water (which we had to fill ourselves). At least they are out of the wind.

I will need to skip at least one class tomorrow to deal with this mess, because if I'm not there the BO will accuse my trainer of stealing my horse. It wouldn't be the first time she's called the cops when someone went to leave! I wonder how often the horses have gone without food because it wasn't convenient to go out and feed. I know that with less work and more pelleted feed, Fessor has lost weight the last six weeks or so. Rumor has it, the BO is looking to move south after this winter. Frankly, if she was ready to be out of the business, I wish she had just told us so we could make other arrangements. But now, she's on my bad side. Don't mess with my horse and expect me to be polite! As far as I'm concerned, any and all bridges have been burned.

I cannot help wondering just how many people will leave after this weekend? I cannot believe that just my trainer and her students will decide that we've had enough! At least we'll be out long before I leave town for Christmas. I'll be travelling with my parents to New Zealand to visit my sister and brother-in-law. My trainer will keep an eye on Fessor for me, as will the caretakers at the new place. I'm sure he'll be fine. I'll leave a letter authorizing the trainer to make decisions for me if anything comes up that needs immediate attention. Hopefully, there will be no need for such a letter, but I will be rather hard to get ahold of for a few weeks around and after Christmas. :)

Yikes! I'm a BM, and I left for the holidays, but I made darn sure everything was covered to my satisfaction. I even showed my friend how to muck the stalls just like I do it.

Hmm, where to start?

Someone's coming down from Va to try out the Frasier boy on Saturday. It sounds like a perfect home (and I've certainly turned down many), so I'm excited. He's doing fabulous, and I might take him to a show in two weeks if he's not sold.

Riley is coming back from stifle injury, I just started cantering him before I left. We are dual HOY winners this year - Amateur 2nd level, and Musical Freestyle, for our region. Also should be getting my check in the mail for winning the $5k Grand Slam!

TracyA-Wow. I would be beyond mad. Good luck at the new place. At least you have your trainer to keep an eye on Fessor for you for the holidays. Who needs that kind of stress for the holidays?

KTS- Sounds like things are going good for you. I hate bringing a horse back into work. There is always the nagging thought I could ask a little to much and cause the horse to go lame again. Fingers crossed all goes well on sat.

Well after the last HT I decided on a bit of a break from dressage. I was starting to get burned out a bit. On the plus side the HT went really well. Cheese and I finally got it. I tensed up ina couple of spots which caused her to tense. Overall it was the best test ever. We were tied for last place but I so did not care. My trainer was practicully jumping up and down when we came out of the ring.

So we I gave Cheese a week off and have done some western riding. I have tried to ride dressage once and end up with a tense/hot horse most of the time. We have had sucky weather lately so I haven't been riding much. If she isn't ridden on a consistant basis she tens to get tense and hot headed.

The barn where I board has started feeding round bales.The extra hay is good. However they store the round bales outside in the wether. Which mean a bit of mold is going to form. My horse has mold allergies. So I have to figure something out.

Tracy, remember the recent thread you posted on what do people look for in a boarding facility? That just came to mind when I read your post. I can totally relate to what you are going through. Been there and done that. It took me 7 months to find another place, there was nothing available in that area. Several of us at that barn took shifts making sure all horses were always fed and stalls mucked, etc.... Course we couldn't stop the abuse that we knew was going on. Beau became very head shy at that facility. This is why I am so glad I finally have him at home. I absolutely don't blame you for moving your horses. Did you happen to take any pictures at the old facility before you left? Like pics of no hay, no bedding in stalls, no water, horses left out in the elements, etc... all of which go against your board agreement. I am just exactly like you and do not tolerate anyone messing with my horse! You go girl!!! I am so glad you found another place so quickly and how convenient that today is the 1st. Fessor will be fine and sounds like you have a great trainer.

KTS, congats on your HOY and 5k grand slam. That will help with Cmas, eh? :)

CSA, you must get an awful lot of rain in your area if round bales are getting moldy? I feed round bales and it rains for a couple of days sometimes, but the hay always dries out without molding. When it's raining, Beau is in and I feed square bales.

I took Beau to a schooling show last weekend and did First 3 and First 4 for the first time. We did pretty good, but need to work on our leg yields some more. In the mean time, my trainer is working with us on schooling 2nd level. Beau is enjoying the challenge and has offered me the medium trot. I was pretty excited when he did that! So his collection is developing and I am looking forward to a fun year coming up with him, showing first level and schooling 2nd. We are going to try to quailfy for regionals again at 1st level.

I sold my adorable little TB gelding. I just did not have time to get him going and he really was too small for me, standing only 15.1 and slight frame. I sold him to a trail and cross country rider and she hopped up on him and had him eating out of her hand. They were a great match for each other.

We are working at getting some arena lights up on my arena at home so I can ride. In the mean time I put some flood lights on tripods up on tables and they actually do pretty good. Otherwise it's too dark to ride when I get home from work. So something had to happen!

At this point, I'm just glad to be out of there. Pictures would have been very useful. But I'm not sure if anything could be seen in the low light. I'd have needed a spotlight to help illuminate the situation.

We got all the horses moved yesterday. I know I got almost all of MY stuff. I couldn't find where the fan got stored after the summer. I'm not going to fuss about an eleven dollar fan though. It's worth that to be out and gone. Fessor seemed calm in his new stall last night, and I had a chance to talk with the caretaker about how much/what grain I feed and a few basic handling tips. Fessor enjoyed "talking" over the half height door with his next door neighbor. :) I'll give him a few days to settle in before trying to ride in the new space.

I suspect some of the jumps got left behind. I don't know if we'll try to go back for another load or not. The barn owner can be very unpleasant to people who have left, so it would have to be at a time when she is driving the school bus. Another trainer moved too, and she uses the jumps a lot more than we do. So we would probably need a vehicle to haul the jumps in and the help of a lot of people to get things loaded up quickly.

We are in our last week of classes! I wish I felt better. The antibiotics haven't really kicked in yet. The only reason I'm here today is for a presentation I'm scheduled to give during my last class of the day. I just finished said presentation... But it's based on the draft of a paper I've had back for awhile, so it's not quite so late as it seems. And I missed a couple classes yesterday (one of which was cancelled!) to move ponies and stuff. I just need to make it through this week, then my schedule will settle down and allow me more time out at the barn. :)

Tracy

Tracy - Thanks for starting a new thread. I haven't posted in forever, but want to change that. I am so sorry to hear about your boarding situation. That sounds absolutely awful. That is great you got Fessor out of there though. Hope you are feeling better soon - I've had a nasty cold since Thanksgiving, they are really hard to get rid of!

KTS - Hope the potential buyers work out! And congrats on winning the Grand Slam, that is way cool.

c.s.a. - Glad to hear your HT went well. Sometimes taking a break and just 'having fun' is good for both horse and rider.

Boocoo - That is exciting you guys are working on Second Level! It's a lot of fun. That's super you found your TB a good match.

I have been really busy - I'm a Junior in High school, so the homework load is enough to keep me busy. Arielle, my "new" (I got her in June of this year) horse is doing great. We have really connected, and she is almost always a blast to ride :) One of the gals that takes lessons at Miari, where I board/ride, brought her three year old 13.3 fire-engine red Arabian mare over, and I'm riding her while she's here. She is only six weeks undersaddle, but can w/t/c easily and is SO cute!

TracyA-I hope you are feeling better. I am glad to see the move went ok.Losing the jumps sucks but you can always make more. It sounds like a huge sigh of relief to be out of there.

Boocoo-We have gotten the normal rain for Pa. Since they are not covered they get wet. The littlest bit of mold will set off her allergies. Even when it is the biging stages where it looks like dust. I had this problem when I was buying alfafa. I had to buy half a ton, around 25 bales. By the time Cheese was on the last 4 bales she was snotty/coughing. Got fresh stuff in it stopped. Had this happen off and on for about a year. That is when the vet pointed out that alfafa has more moisture in it and propaply had stated to get some mold. I couldn't tell since it wasn't visible. Poor horse.

luvhorses-Can we get pics of the arab, pretty please? Arabs are one of my fav breeds.

\ Grrrrr. My horse lost weight. She is such a hard keeper that any weight loss is not good. At first I thought "Oh boy. Time to go barn hunting again." Than I decided to check her supplement. I get it through SmartPak. So it is delivered directly to the barn. I had recently (past month) changed it to something else (more fat). So I decided to check to see if she had started the new stuff and it just wasn't doing a good job. Well I go check and it is pellets. Both the old and new supplements are powders. I look at the label and it has Cheese's name with the name of the old supplement. So who knows what my horse has been eating. So the weight loss my have to deal with that.I aam kind of mad. Since I have cut down on her work and the horses are getting round balesn outside and she still lost weight. Another thing that irritates me a bit is that the barn owner didn't notice the supplement switch.

At least SmartPak is making good on their mistake. They are shipping out the correct supplement and a prepaid postage envelope so I can send a couple days of the supplement back. That way I know what my horse has been eating. I think if I notice any more weight loss I am going to start looking at other barn.

The Pony looks ridiculous. I didn't know you could ingrain that much muck into your skin. Huh.

Anyhoo, not many updates on the horse front. I haven't been able to ride much lately due to college applications, work, being grounded 'cause of the college applications, etc.

Speaking on which, I'm off to go do yet another supplement! I'll finish reading everyone's updates later. :) Can't wait! It has been too long since we all did this.

Yay! New thread! Let's keep this one going!

Tracy, that sounds like a horrible situation! I'm glad you got out of there :huggy: . Hey! You'll be right across the ditch from me!

KTS, Good luck with the people trying Frasier, hopefully they'll turn out to be a perfect home. Congrats on the winnings! That's awesome!

Boocoo, aww! Sounds like you have an exciting year planned! What's it like being in your own place now? I bet it's wonderful! Arena lights would be great! I'm so jealous!

Luv, did you ever post pics of Arielle? (there's a girl at my 'barn' with that name too, it's so pretty). I'm glad shes turned out well for you!

CSA, eeek what a sucky mistake! I'm glad they're fixing it for you!

Dobby, hahaha they can be masters of dirt, can't they! Bummer about not being able to ride much, hopefully that changes soon!

Not much has changed here, it's Summer now! Woohoo! The wonder pony is wearing his muzzle and he looks awesome. His hocks are still going, not a hint of trouble even though he's now 9 months over due... I dunno why LOL.

We went to equitana in November, it was AWESOME. Now I'm poor but Lightning has new stuff :happy0203: Saw the Grand Prix, and the Kur, qualifiers for the World Champs, and Andres Helgstrand was there. It's amazing to listen to him and find he is saying the same things as my instructor. Obviously to a higher, more refined degree, but still very much the same thing.

On the last night they had big names from each dicipline swap horses. Brett Parbury, a dressage rider, ended up on a reiner LMAO. He's a talllllllll man, and that was a short horse

IMG_4194.jpg

you can see the reiner on the dressage horse in this one. He didnt want to trot LMAO, but the crowd cheered him into doing a sitting trot. It was quite funny. He said he loved the feel of having such a big powerful horse right there in his hands, a different feeling to his reiner.

IMG_4220.jpg

I have a gazillion from the dressage, but I wont clog this thread up with them LOL.

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Edited by Lightning Strikes Twice

Okay... i'll try to keep up again :)

Luvs: I definitely want to see pics of Arielle! That's exciting. How are things going with her?!

lightning: awww fun!!! what did you buy Lightning?

Boocoo: lights are great... we just bought a $45 work shop light and we just carry it down to the ring and plug it in. It works pretty dang well. Sorta blinds you when you go down to that end, but it works well enough to ride at night with :) We just spent oodles of money getting the giant mountain out from underneath our ring. Yikes... so now I have to wait on more dirt. But it's not too bad. Alteast they aren't trotting on rocks now. That's great that your TB got a great home.

KTS: Congrats on the HOY awards. That's awesome. One of my friends just got a 10 on her halt at an event and I thought of you :) Good luck with Frasier

let's see.... who else am I forgetting...sorry.. it's been awhile since i've done this ;)

Cheese: Guess what!?! I got a cute new orange kitty and I named him Cheese! !He comes running to Cheesy poof, cheesey pleasey, and chez! He's adorable :)

and oh...

Tracy! What a nightmare!! Good for you and the other people for getting those poor ponies fed and watered. Glad you got out of there. good luck with the last bit of finals and the move!

dobby......ooooh, it's been POURING here...flash flood warnings and everything.. the maresies are SOAKED!!! the two boys had clothes on but they are pretty wet and bedgraggled too. It's been warm but now the temp is supposed to drop too!

think that covers it...

holly

I'm worried about one of my dogs. Colleen is almost twelve and showing her age. She's getting noticably arthritic and has slowed down a fair bit over the last half year or so. Twice in the past week, she's offered to bite. This is VERY unusual. Yes, she can be timid, but Colleen is generally friendly with people.

I have an appointment set up for early next week with the vet. Three possibilities suggest themselves. 1) She's reacting to pain from the arthritis. I just started her on a glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement last night, and talked to the vet about trying her on doggie arthritis meds. 2) Our house was broken into last week. Both dogs were in my room with the door closed at the time. Colleen has been a bit more anxious than usual, whining at the door or pacing occasionally. One of the aggressive moments was when one of the roommates went to let the dogs out of my room and let them in the back yard. Maybe she was thinking it was another break in and reacted before she knew who it was. The roommate didn't speak before opening the door, so Colleen may not have known who it was. 3) Doggy senility. Colleen seems to be fairly alert and doesn't act confused, so I doubt this is it. I hope not. We can talk before opening the bedroom door and I'll start treating the arthritis to address pain issues. If her mind is going, I'll have a hard decision to make.

Anything else I am missing? I described the behavior to the vet, and they want to try her on arthritis meds and suggested I call a behaviorist for tips on helping the dogs past the emotion of the breakin. I'm willing to work through this, but I can't have a chronic biter in the home! Our first step is to rule out pain. If she's offering to bite for a reason, we can work around that. If she really is getting aggressive, that's harder...

Tracy

Lightning, I love having my horse back at home again. It had been 4.5 years and I just can not take boarding anymore. haven't got the lights up yet, but I am doing what you are doing Holly, I take one of those work shop lights that is on a tri-pod from Home Depot and it extends to 12 feet tall, then I put that up on a patio table, plug it in, point the lights slightly down and that way they are not in my eyes. May just go with that since it's only about two months out of the year I need it, rather than go to all the expense of installing arena lights.

Shoer came and did Beau last night and said he is finally balanced and growing some foot. It's only been two years! [shocked] It's been a long road, but he's getting there and hence I can finally do 1st level and start schooling 2nd.

luv, glad to hear your new horse is working out so well for you. Hang in there in school. These next two years will fly by!

tracya: I would definitely get Colleen on arthritis meds. The glucosamine and stuff is helpful, but she may need medicine. Talk to your vet about Tramadol. It's a pain medication that has low side effects (she can't be on it though if she has a history of seizures or she is on anxiety meds, so.. if you have to do anxiety meds you can't use this...depending on the type). It's a great thing to keep her on for life with the low side effects, but.. you will also likely need some anti-inflammatories too at first. Those can have long term side effects, so... I would put her on that for a bit to help alleviate the inflammation and then use them as needed, but keep her on the tramadol. Pain can definitely cause the snapping issues. If you think it is doggie senility.. it's called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and there is a medication for it that can help... but again, you'd have to take her off the tramadol. It's Denosyl. talk to your vet about it. But i would start with the pain meds. You can also try Hills B/D.. it's basically "brain diet" and it really helps the cognitive dysfunction dogs. I hope she feels better soon. It's hard at that age...especially if the weather is screwy too... But good luck!! I hope you can get her feeling better! IF you get to the point where she really is aggressive... please don't hesitate to email me (hbreauxdvm@yahoo.com) as I had to put my own dog to sleep for aggression issues... no health issues at all. It was heartbreaking but it was the right thing to do. So.. if you need help with that... but hopefully you won't :)

boocoo: that's what we have. But i didn't think about putting it up on a table. course... i dont' really have a table out there... But maybe I can rig something! Good idea. and yeah.. it's also nice for the summer though when it's too hot to ride during the day!

anyways... flecks' EPM test came back as positive but.. again, that just means exposure. So... regardless the marquis is on the way. Should have it Saturday to start on Saturday :) And then the chiro is coming next Monday :)

Stay dry!!! it's a flood watch here!

Holly, so glad you caught Flecks EPM early. That should make a huge difference in getting him over it.

As for me arena lights, I just took my patio table off the back porch, sure won't be sitting out there in the dead of winter, and put the light up on it. Makes it high enough that it's not in my eyes when I ride and pointing the lights just slightly down helps as well. As for summer, I have all summers off, so don't need to ride at night, I can ride in the a.m. and if I do ride at night, it stays light out till 9 p.m. so riding around 7 p.m. is nice. But, if I decide to do a midnight ride or something, I will have the light and can plug it in if needed!

Came home today and waited for my round bale to be delivered then drug the arena. Footing fluffed up beautifully since had rain and a tad bit of snow the other night. It was 81 degrees Tues. afternoon and then froze and the rain became sleet and snow that night! Go figure! :happy0203: You know the old saying "if you don't like the weather around here, just wait a minute."

Glad to see everyone is chatting again:-) We are battling the crappy weather here in Ohio, it feels more like January. It really stinks:-(

Anyway, I started riding with a new trainer about 8 weeks ago and things are going great. She comes to my house but bought a farm about 10 minutes from me and the horses can go there in crappy weather. She is a judge too, so that is cool. Shelby is working through a lot of issues from her past...connection, leg aids, and being more confident. (Someone really knocked the crap out of her at one time.) She know a lot more then I have given her credit for:-) Second level should be quite easy for her next year...we are looking to start showing in March this season. I usually stop lessons for fall and most of winter; but have kept the horses in full work longer this year.

Beckham is doing awesome...I can't believe my little guy will be 6!!! I had only had one lesson on him in a year, so this has been nice:-) I was always so busy hauling Shelby to lessons that I never took any on Beckham. My trainer was uber impressed with him and said he is ready for first level and is schooling some second level lateral work. She said he has better transitions then most second level horses she sees. I was glad to hear I haven't ruined him:-)

I start vet tech school in January, so life will get crazy busy again! (But I am really looking forward to it.) Speaking of, I need to go buy books and get moving. Keep posting everyone...I love to hear about everyone's riding!!

After a few days on the joint supplement, Colleen seems to be doing better. We haven't had any repeats of aggressive behavior, and she seems to be getting around easier. So that's a relief. Hopefully we can get her some pain meds next week and go from there.

Tracy

LST- Can we get more pics? The dressage rider on the reiner is to amusing.

Fleck-Cheese the cat. I love it. I wish the mare would come when I called her. She just looks st me like "What do you want ".

Boocoo- I am so jealous you get to keep your guy at home.

Beckham-Good luck at school. Pa. weather isn't much different thanOhio. Although today is suppose to be in the 50's. Crazy weather.

TracyA-Glad to here Colleen is doing a bit better. I hope everything works out for her.

Not much going on here. Too darn cold to rife. So Cheese is enjoying some down time. I hopped on her last weekend when it was 28 degrees. I had just put a bareback pad on for a quick ride. Well in like 10 min she was on the bit and flexing good. Compared to our usual 30 min. So I borrowed a friend's Ansur saddle to try on her. So it is back to playing with saddle fit.

Hi gang! I'm slowly starting to disappear off the board. But jus wanted to drop in and say hello!

It looks like everyone is doing really well and is that McKenzie that I see posting!

CSA- it sure is cold here...or was. Yesterday wasn't too chilly. Not so sure about today yet. It always nice to have some downtime w/ your horse! Maybe we'll come across each other at Bucks?

Beckham- that's exciting you are w/ a new trainer. Sounds like both of your horses are doing well! Wow you are starting in March! We normally don't start till April here...and we have to haul to VA. ick. Don't think we are going to start early this year. Ohhh and I've been hauling to Scott's on a monthly bases now ;)

Boocoo- I bet it is a wonderful feeling having your boy at home! and Congrats on selling your other horse. Would love to see pics of your new place again!

Holly- glad you are back! Keeping my fingers crossed for Flecken. :-) How'd your arena turn out then?

McKenzie- Hi! Definately want to see pics of this mare of yours! Good luck w/ the rest of school. You are almost a senior!

LTS- great pics! I want to see more too! awh summer for you! It's cold and dreary here! *sigh* But that's ok. I'm hoping for snow for Christmas! hahaha Lightning wears a muzzle too? I find them to be hilarious. Poor pony.

Well it's finals week here! Thank God! I'm so done w/ this semester. Worst semester of my life. The calculus just killed me and my GPA. And the final well there is no hope for me to being able to pass it. I gave up on this course awhile ago. Should have dropped it, but I was too stubborn. First class to ever retake. Even w/ I was pre-vet. Calc. just bites me in the butt. So i'll be revisiting Calculus in the near future. Just about done w/ Christmas shopping. Work is going ok. We are feeling the economy this year though. A bit sad. Hoping that Christmas will be a good week for us and that the incoming New Year will be better than now!

Scotch is doing super! He is progressing in leaps and bounds. I'm now just taking a monthly lesson w/ trainer Scott Hassler. Had a lesson last Thursday and it by far has been the best lesson yet. So he wants me to star showing at 2nd in the spring! I was like what happened to First?? So that was exciting for me. We need to confirm the medium before I feel comfortable moving Scotch up. So I'm thinking of taking the spring season off and doing just lessoning w/ Scott as much as the checkbook gods will allow it. Also it's a good time for me to re-take calc. Going to take it all by itself in the first "summer" session of school. AKA. I start it a week after the spring semester is over. Then I can not have to worry about showing and doing calc. Not much else is new. Hope everyone has a great week!

Well, Riley's umpteenth comeback has had a minor blip, I hope. I'm waithing for the vet right now.

Brought him in to ride yesterday, and he seemed really sleepy. It was early am, and he can be narcoleptic anyway, so I laughed it off, even joking about him drooling while I brushed him. Put his bridle on and he was a bit fussy, but I thought I just crossed the leathers, and I fixed it. Rode him, and he was Fanastic! definitely our best ride back. I had real half halts again!

Well, when I took off the bridle, I noticed a swelling between the noseband and the flash on the left side. Felt a little warm. Immediately thought tooth abscess (I've never had one), but no nasal discharge and no smell at all. After a bit, the swelling became less localized and almost indistinguishable. He still seemed too sleepy, even though he was fab for the ride, so I took his temp on a whim. 104! Ack! he's usually under 100. Called the vet (on a sunday of course) gave him an IM of Banamine. Temp went down to 101 last night, was normal this morning. Swelling the same, normal voracious appetite. No idea what it is, I'll update you in a bit.

Cross your fingers for nothing major!

Fingers crossed for Riley! Thank goodness you decided to take his temp. Especially when he was so willing for the ride. Hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Tracy

Arghhh! Abscess, but not near the sinuses so that why no nasal discharge. And if the tooth needs to be pulled, I won't have to flush through the sinuses. Vet thinks it's the bacteria from a tiny hoof abscess he had three weeks ago, apparently it gets into the bloodstream and can settle in a tooth. Very weird. He's always had good teeth. We will get Xrays tomorrow or early wednesday, and see if it just needs antibiotics or pulled. Luckily the tooth looks ok, not broken or any bad pulp.

Just what I need to work in around exam week! Not.

On the bright side, little Frasier lad and I just had a really good lesson, in the dark under the lights. He's not at all spooky anymore. Amazing what trust will do.

oh no KTS...atleast it's not too bad and should be an easy fix. glad to hear that frasier is behaving. Fleck sure isn't! ha!! he looks for every excuse to be spooky. good luck with finals!

3day: !!! glad to hear the lessons are going so well. I take it the bridle lameness has resolved??! hopefully so :) well....the arena is better :) We had it flattened and then we lined it with railroad ties... and then.. there was too much erosion before we got the RR ties in so our giant rock started to come through. So then we paid to have it removed...took them three days with a jackhammer and big old huge tractor with front end loader... but they finally got most of the rocks out and skimmed the top 8 inches or so off the big one. And then buried it back under. So.. now i have little rocks all over again....sigh.... but it's flat again (minus the slope for drainage) and no more rock poking through. so...as soon as we can afford it we'll get more sand. and then hopefully be done :)

anyways.. good luck with finals! Maybe your instructor will curve and you'll pass! it'll be a christmas miracle :)

anyways.... not much exciting going on. just anxiously awaiting the chiro's visit. fleck was definitely ouchy at the canter going right - twisted his tail and got real fussy. but his trot was nice. then i've been working since, so... but his herbs came today so we'll see if that helps :) i hope so since he's down to once daily bute now.

last night of work YAY!!! last night was EXHAUSTING!!! so... tonight is quiet so far. so tomorrow i have to clean my house before my momma comes and go xmas shopping!!

Ahhh, how cute Holly!!! (I hardly recognize you without your riding clothes!) Hahaha! Here is the only holiday photo I have gotten so far this year:

100_0931.JPG

So cute! Need to get some pics now that my sister the photographer is home from college. Some Frasier jumping pics might be coming soon!

Oh . . . and tell me I don't need another horse. There is an adorable 4 year old Clyde TB cross going for peanuts about 8 hours from me . . . make a cute little eventer . . . must resist.

Yep, still have Amore, but coming more slowly than I hoped. Broodmare's backs get pretty messed up, apparently. I look silly on Frasier, he's just too small for me. I bought him as a resale . . . so I keep telling myself. He's one of my favorites. ;) It'll be hard to let him go, which is why I am so picky and keep scaring people off, lol. One day I'll work myself up to find an upper level horse.