Sign in to follow this  
TracyA

Dressage Chit Chat #23

KrazyTBMare-That sucks. Some gentle [Huggy] . I hope the ending of the job is only a begining of a better job/career.

KTS- I would be pissed. At least you had a fun banquet to go to and get your other awards.

I hear everyone on the not riding. Hubby was sick last week and now it is freezing cold out. It has only been 10 days but it feels like forever. It has led to some soul searching time. I have been thinking about dressage and barrel racing. I know my mare is better suited to barrel racing but we have come so far with dressage. I think the local club put a damper on the barrel racing though. Pretty much if you are riding out od a certain barn you can cheat. Otherwise you are treated like poo. There is a new series that started this past year. A lot of people who used to run at the other club now go there. They are the fun/friendly people. Since ir would be for fun I can still focus on dressage. I just don't kno. I got a long winter ahead that I can think on it. I think winter just has me feeling blah.

KTS --- hang in there, girl.

Beckham, thanks for asking! Things are improving. I took my two boys to my friend's barn the other day so I could have them spend the night and use the indoor on both days. Due to some improved weather conditions through the holidays, I had been able to lunge them outdoors, and then I only missed one day of work with them before going to the indoor, so they've been working pretty regularly.

Great news! Finally, after a full year, I was able to ride my gelding, Caw. He did really well, although there were some balance issues in the left lead canter, which has always been his weaker side. My youngster has worn a bridle for the first two times and is accepting it just fine .... hopefully I'll be able to attach sidereins soon. Although the weather will continue to be an issue for a few months, I'm looking forward to getting them both into full work!

ouu Shantel- So sorry to hear about your job! What are your plans for now? Started looking again?

Boocoo and Beckham- Still haven' received anything in the mail. I did forget that I already have the Rider Performance Award. Duh. And have 3/4 of my bronze medal award done. I'm working on Scotch now.

Scotch is enjoying his month off!! Going back down to vet on Tuesday for another round. Getting hocks injected..speaking of which must call old vet and have them send xrays to new vet. I can't go to the Scott Hassler clinic :( Scotch will not be ready after having so much time off and then getting hocks done ...or if he'll be sound. So I opted out of it. Maybe Feb. I can head down for a 2 day stay. Not much else is new. College started this week and I think I'm actually am going to enjoy this semester. Found out I have only 24 more credits to go woohoo! hahahah. Until I decided that I want my accounting degree as well.

It is supposed to go into the teens tom. Was going to go and ride Scotch, but the teens is just a turn off for me. Hope all is well w/ everyone else!

Rio, good for you getting to ride your horses. That always makes everything seem better, eh? [Jump]

3day, wonder why your stuff is taking so long in the mail? Maybe the weather is holding things up, eh? Good for you on your bronze progress. I only have one first level score so far!! We have a little ways to go!! But it's proving to be a lot of fun.

Our weather has turned very cold. I probably won't ride till about Sunday. Then Beau will have had a week off. That's ok though, I have been riding him pretty hard the last few months. He always comes back better after a week off. Not that that happens very often, maybe twice a year.

How is everyone handling this weather? I am sick of it; this seems like the longest winter. We had the coldest day in 15 years on Friday, YUCK!

Rio-Yay!! That must be great getting back to some regular work. I don't know about you, but I always feel a lot better after spending some time in the barn.

3-day-Call USDF about your certificate...they told me they had mailed the last batch out like 2 weeks ago. I am sure they will get it to you if you let them know. I hope Scotch is better soon.

Shantel-Any news on the job front? Are you getting any riding in?

Sylves-How is Jagger doing in this cold?

Boocoo-Did you get that trail ride in yet? Is it cold in TX?

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I will get Shelby to the trainers tomorrow. We had waited until the weather got better. It is supposed to be 36 here by Friday, so I will definately be able to ride in the indoor. Here are a few pictures I took of the kids in the snow:

100_0960.JPG

100_0954.JPG

100_0947.JPG

Ah, it was in the mid 30's today! We took our daughter out for a walk to the barn because the weather was SO nice! Here are some pictures from our outdoor adventure!

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

I rode Jag yesterday and today. The snow is too deep and slippery to do much more than walk. I put on his jump saddle and practiced two point. (man, it's been a long time- I can't believe I used to hold that position for entire xc phases at a gallop! Geesh!)

Getting used to the jump saddle and short stirrups... Today's ride

IMGA0003-1.jpg

Unfortunately the saddle doesn't fit me. The other jump saddle fits me, but it's too narrow on Jag. Err. I suppose I ought to stick to the dressage saddle; it fits BOTH of us!

Edited by Sylves

It was really warm today! Usually it's about -20C here this time of year and today it was +10C!

I had a really good ride yesterday, Rowan was really straight and forward and so we worked on fun second/third level things like half pass and counter-canter. He still doesn't get the objective of cantering on the wrong lead so he gets tense, but we've lost the habit of swapping leads.

Today he was a little more crooked, so I worked on transitions, transitions, transitions and got a few good mediums out of it. Our walk-trot transitions are finally starting to work more uphill and he is lifting into the trot instead of just going faster. Then we went out for a hack around the yard. In the back the snow came up past his knees!

Boocoo- Most definately! Before you know it you will have it! I just need my 3rd level scores...and unfortunately since I lost Jade I wasn't able to move up. So hopefully Scotch will be able to go 3rd. We are aiming to do 2nd this spring. Which will be interesting. You're in TX right? I'm thinking on flying down there this year to my sister's friends house. Always wanted to go!

Beckham- great pics! Nice and snowy! Hope you can get Shelby to your trainer's!! I'm sick of the cold too. Today was the first day that it was actually "ok" to ride in. I hate riding under 15 degrees, not really good for the horse either. I will call/email USDF, good idea. My friend got her certificate in the mail last week. Thought I would get one too, especially since I placed. yeh? But maybe not! LOL.

Sylves- wow look at all of your snow! Your daughter is absolutely adorable...all bundled up! Jag looks very happy in his picture too! How's 2-point treating you?

D&R- Sounds like you had a nice ride! I love hacking out in fluffy snow! so much fun!

Went and sat in a Prestige dressage saddle...and love it. Going back down tomorrow to bring it home to try on Scotch. Hopefully the lady that is trying my saddle out will buy it so I can buy another saddle. Also tried out a VanHer which is lovely as well. Then I sucked it up and bought a pair of full seat Trainer Choice breeches. The checkbook gods were angry at me for that. I figured since I got a pay raise I would celebrate by buying myself a pair of show breeches. Along w/ the ASU Cosequin for Scotch *winces*. On another note- Rode Scotch for the first time in 2 weeks. Just haven't had time to see how lame he has been. But felt quite sound! So rode for 1/2hour. Lots of walking due to his time off. Tuesday he's off to see the vet again and get hock injections. Had to pull him out of the Scott Hassler lesson. No use in paying so much and not being able to work on more advance work since he has been out of work. Oh well! Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Wow. That is a LOT of snow. CRAZY.

It has been very cold for Florida the last few days. Highs in the lower 40s with windchills in the 30s during the day. The other night it was a low of 25 with windchills in the teens. Oy vey. Today it was warmer, closer to 70 but only b/c its raining tonight which is just another cold front. Then Mon-Wed it will be in th low 50s and low to mid 30s at night but by Friday it will be around 70 so I can at least give Layla a bath before our first show of the year on Saturday.

As far as jobs go, I have email 2 of them from Craigslist and Randy found one that is a little farther than I would care to drive but at this point who cares ya know? They want the resume faxed and he found it on Saturday so Im going to go fax it tomorrow.

Def getting some riding in. I rode Layla on Thursday and she was very very good. Our half passes are coming along like she has been doing them her whole life. We were doing canter half pass on Wednesday over at my girlfriends place (the one with the areans in her neighborhood) and she was like WOW That looks great!

Its great to feel the canter half passes esp b/c she gets SO much suspension and just opens up the canter even more and has so much more power. Its a blast to ride.

Saturday we are showing First 1 and 2. I did First 4 all last fall just to see if I could qualify for Championships in our club which I did but now I want to focus on perfecting First and getting consistant higher (than 61%) scores at 1 and 2.

Im going riding tomorrow afternoon. Planning on taking my camera so we can take pics of each other. Hopefully Ill have some pics of our canter half pass. I really want to see how they look b/c they feel so good.

Ill update tomorrow.

So, I am jealous of anyone who gets to ride...hahahaha! Colder today then I thought, so I just called the trainer and asked if we could wait until Thurs when I get out of school...a lot colder today then I originally thought and the roads re-froze and despite lighter traffic today, they are accidents everywhere!! Yuck! Below zero again tonight and I am like you 3-day, I don't do anything with them if it is under 20. So no use paying for her to stand over there when she can stand her:-)

I am going over to watch some lessons and hang out though!

Sylves-Yes, that is Shelby the princess herself:-)

Okay, I should get moving and try to enjoy this day with no class despite this terrible weather!

So I rode. Not so great as the last two rides. But Sat evening Layla was running around like a crazed fool and was bucking and farting and twisting and she jumped in the air and tried to turn, forgeting she didnt have any legs on the ground, and fell flat on her left side. So I palpated her and all and she didnt seem sore but after a few mins of riding, I could tell she was sore. We pretty much avoided doing a lot of work which involved the left hind as to the right she felt great.

It was CRAZY windy today and she was very up. But she was good. Just two quick pics.

First - trot half pass our bad way (good way today thanks to the LH)

MVI_7146003_0002.jpg

And canter half pass right

MVI_7146012_0001.jpg

I also went and got abused.. I mean got a massage at the chiro today and omg... my right SI joint (in your lower back) and my left illuim (basically the top of your hip above your low back) were both insanely sore. I mean I could hardly breathe and had tears in my eyes. They were both so tight. But I made it through and feel much better now.

As far as my pony feeling better, I gave her a gram of bute and will give her some muscle relaxers for a few days in case she has any spasms. We have a show on Saturday and plan on 1:1 and 1:2 but we will see how she feels.

Edited by KrazyTBMare

Hey 3day, what did you find out about your certificates? I got my Regional Qualifier one and my Training Level Rider Performance and patch one. I also ended up extremely nice for year end awards in my local GMO, but can't say what yet as nobody else knows how they did. Our banquet is this Saturday and the only reason I know is I'm helping with the awards!!! Where in TX is your sister's friends house?

Beckham and Sylves, that is way to much snow! Oh my gosh. You must be going crazy by now. It was cold here last Thurs and Fri. like in the 40's for the high, which is extremely cold for TX. yes. But by yesterday it warmed up into the high 60's and I got to ride Beau. Still dealing with a lot of drainage from my sinus infection though. It's sunny, warm and very windy today, so I just longed him. Back to work tomorrow and will ride him after work tomorrow. He came back very nicely for having had a week off.

I have news!!!!

Riley and I had our first lesson since APRIL!!! He was amazing, considering I was in tears riding him two weeks ago, since he felt so weak and lazy and sluggish, coming back from his stifle and then tooth problems. I just pushed us through it, going through the motions, and then in the past week, he's really come back fast.

Worked on two steps collected trot, two steps medium, back and forth, really getting him to sit an carry, since I'd only really been doing working gaits on him for the 2 months I've been bringing him back.

Then, we needed to work on our shoulder in (always a work in progress! He has absolutely brilliant renvers and travers, always getting 8s, SO easy, but that darn SI is so tuff!). It was SO much better than I've gotten lately, and even one of our best ever. Then, we interspersed half pass to shoulder in to hp to si, on a diagonal, and he was really good. Even trainer said "good!" and she never says that. First half passes in 6 months. They were really easy and light, I was so surprised!

We did the same thing and the canter, and it was even better! Canter SI usually is pretty good, but I often lose the haunches and the jump for true collection. We were able to really improve it.

So, this was my test to see if we are ready to do our 3rd level debut in Florida next month, and this was a good start!

Shantel, if I show in Newberry/Clarcona, is that close to you? Will you be competing?

OH! And we are getting a "Big" snowstorm!! I'm super excited, I love snow. 3-5 INCHES! Haha! Locally heavier. Hope I don't have class tomorrow, I brought my nice camera and the two dogs, and I'm sleeping above the barn, b/c stupid county has no ice or plows for back country roads. I'll take lots of pics (should it come true- weather here is notoriously fickle)!

Newberry is near Gainesville (University of Fl) and about 45-1 hr away. Considering it takes 45 mins to get from the south end of Jax to the north end, not far at all! When is the show?? I would love to come watch and meet you! Congrats on the great lesson.

I think there's one the 7/8 of Feb, and then the last weekend. I'd love to meet you!

Shantel, have you ever even competed in a rated show? If not, then I want to know what the heck you are waiting for? [Question] As well as you and Layla have been doing and your getting very good scores at first level at schooling shows, time to go to a rated show and apply those scores towards your bronze medal!!! I say go for it girl!!! You could go to a rated show and compete with KTS!!! How much fun would that be? [Jump] [Jump]

All right KTS! Me thinks you've plum lost it! Sleeping over the barn when it is supposed to snow? [Crazy] Snow is way over rated, didn't you know?!!! [ROTFL]

BTW, has anyone heard from Tracy? Wonder what she's been up to lately! Haven't heard in a while!

All right KTS! Me thinks you've plum lost it! Sleeping over the barn when it is supposed to snow? [Crazy] Snow is way over rated, didn't you know?!!! [ROTFL]

BTW, has anyone heard from Tracy? Wonder what she's been up to lately! Haven't heard in a while!

Haha, I usually sleep at the barn (have a little apartment over it), but parents are out of town, so I'm pet/housesitting at their house, which is 1/2 from the barn. This city shuts down with any snow, and no ice or plows, and I need to feed in the morning, so I took the dogs with me. :)

Rated would be nice but its so freaking expensive. We are hosting 2 rated shows with our GMO this year but.... Im not going to go into the whole thing but yeh. At this point, Im happy doing my schooling shows. Maybe once I am older and have more money I may entertain the idea. But thanks for the compliments. I still pinch myself when I see how well we are doing now. I never thought I could move out of training level b/c of ALL the issues we had. Now we are schooling 2nd and some 3rd movements and Im just so pleased.

I am going down next Sunday to get our female GSP!!! She got fixed on the 14th and is healing great. Im so excited. I love my Toby dog, dont get me wrong. But to have a girl.... ahh yay. And the fact that she was rescued OFF of the table at animal control with the first sedative shot in her and they were about to give her the final shot to put her to sleep.... Its just so great to know you are able to give an animal another chance at life.

Tomorrow is going to be awful.. at least for Florida. High of 47 with a low of 28 and then Wednesday night a low of 21!! My geezus. We live down here for a reason! And its so we dont have to deal with these temps! I cant imagine having snow much less FEET of snow.

Woo.. my muscle relaxer is kicking in. Love Zanaflex. Going to go to bed....

Boocoo- No! I still didn't get my certificate. I'm going to shoot an email to the coordinator. That's terrific about your year-end awards! Make sure you get pics! Congrats! Umm she lives....huh I can't recall exactly where, but it's not far from both Dallas and Austin. I think? I'll have to get back to you on that. hahaha. I just know that she doesn't live near Kate (sp?), TX.

KTS- you live in one of the Carolina's right? If so they do shut down! I lived in Aiken when I used o winter down there and omg everyone goes nuts. coming from the NY state of snow, it boggles my mind! Glad to hear Riley is coming back so well for you

Shantel- great pics of Layla! What kind of saddle do you have? It looks very comfy! Heheh awful! Man I'll take your temps over what my state is getting. We got it w/ snow yesterday too.

So had to cancel the vet appointment. The one road that my vet is one is just terrible and can't risk the pony, truck, and trailer for it. So rescheduled for Feb 3rd. I tried the Prestige on Scotch and it seems to fit? I am not a dressage saddle expert. Heck my Albion was the first dressage saddle I've owned. Any ideas how it's supposed to fit their withers and down? Me in it I liked it but wasn't in love w/ it. I'm going to ride in it today one more time and see. If not i'm sending it back and going to try a Deavoucox and the VerHan saddle.

No riding for me. I am to much of a wuss in cold weather. It has to be at least 35 for me to even consider riding. Ok the rest of this is going to be a vent. So feel freee to skip it.

I now remember why I started to hate gymkhanas. It deals with the one club I belonged to.It is the closest and cheapest shows around. It was a friendle place to show at one time. Now if you don't ride out of the one barn you get the shaft.Most places that have a year end winners for gymkhana go by the horse and rider combination. Well one of the ladies horses got sick and missed a show. Horse's name was Coboy's Cash. Well someone got close to her in points so they brought a different horse and called it Cowboy's Backup. It was annonced several timeds throughtout the year you had to stick with one name. Well the lady got the points combined because she was part of that barn.

The last show of the season my trainer and I were the last to run. A freind was first. Just to clarify last turn to run can be a much desired spot. You can see how much you have to push to win. Well my friend's horse clipped his patern with a hind hoof. She wanted to runlater so she would have time to wrap the wound up. At first they said ok. Than she needed to find someone to switc with. I figured I was there for fun so I would switch.Well right before the run ( I was on my horse ready to go in the ring) it wasn't ok. My friend wrapped quickly and made it on time. The last run of the night and it determined end of the year between my friend and the other lady (same one from other storey) . Well my friend had her other horse their that her mom was riding. Mom was just trotting around and having fun. So right before the class friend decides to run her second horse to see what he would do. So she signed up last minute. Know they do order of run by when you signed up. For some reason the other lady was last to ride.So otherwise they changed her position in the order of go.

This takes the cake for me. My trainer had brought her older horse to run. Well after the second class the horse didn't feel right. You could visually tell was off. He wasn't lame but he wasn't striding right. Well she goes to pull him from the rest of the classes and get a refund.The booth people argued about refunding the rest of the money. The club rule is once the gait is shut it is the class and no refund. Later a horse went lame and the club let the rider continue to run it. Where is the horsemanship?

I just know found out they revamped the age catagories. I hope they did with the western pleasure and englisg as well (probably not though). Jr riders are now 15-25. Their reasoning was because there were two jr riders who won everything. So the one younger adult rider had to be grouped with them. That way the two girls wouldn't win everything.The club even stated that was their reasoning. Oh and the one getting bumped back down is part of that barn.

Ok done my vent. If you read all that I owe you a cookie.I am so happy to be doing dressage as my discipline of choice. I only have to judge my horse and I agaist ourselves.None of this dumb polotical nonsense. However I think I may keep away from dressage clubs for a bit. Give myself time to detox.

Any ideas how it's supposed to fit their withers and down?

One big thing to look for is the panels width. If the panels get narrower toward the cantle, it could cause the horse pain. You don't want to put pressure too close to the vertebrae. To the best of my knowledge, this is a problem in your narrow twist seats and cheaper saddles.

I bought a no-name jump saddle that was made in England. I thought "Made in England" automatically meant "high quality." [Duh] The panels on the jump saddle get narrower toward the back of the saddle. Jaggar threatens to bite my head off when I put it on him. I figured the saddle fit him because there was clearance all the way through the spine of the saddle, but I was wrong. When I compared the fit of the jump saddle to my kieffer dressage saddle, I noticed a huge difference in the width of the panels directly below the waist/seat. I could fit my fist between the panels of the kieffer, but I couldn't fit my fist between the panels of the jump saddle.

I'm wondering if the jump saddle can be reflocked (it's wool flocked) so that the panels are widened?? I don't want to trash the saddle, but the way it is now, it's no good.

Make sure your horse is comfortable with the saddle in all gaits and movements. Pay close attention to your horse's way of communication.

Edited by Sylves

This is the time of Winter when I start looking forward to Spring. Right now it's in the 30's, so that is some relief! The snow and ICE are keeping me from progessing in the saddle. I need time in the saddle. My riding muscles that I was just starting to develop in November are becoming mush. I rode this weekend, and I'm feeling the pain in my thighs (the sign that you don't ride enough!).

Err. I just want get back to real work with Jag. We were getting somewhere, and now we must sit back and wait for better riding conditions.

Edited by Sylves

This is the time of Winter when I start looking forward to Spring. Right now it's in the 30's, so that is some relief! The snow and ICE are keeping from progessing in the saddle. I need time in the saddle. My riding muscles that I was just starting to develop in November are becoming mush. I rode this weekend, and I'm feeling the pain in my thighs (the sign that you don't ride enough!).

Err. I just want get back to real work with Jag. We were getting somewhere, and now we must sit back and wait for better riding conditions.

Yep I know that feeling. My kingdom for an indoor.

What is killing me is that they are slowly putting a indoor up where I board. They just got the roof done before all the cold weather hit. So it is half way done. It seems like a big tease.

Just came back from the Inauguration (replied on a post over on H/J board) and totally exhausted. Not a lot of consistent riding. Uppity pony. Will ride tomorrow (after my honors physics mid-term! eek!) for the first time in over a week thanks to the weather and midterms. Sleepy.

Thanks for thinking of me Boo! I was out of the country over new years, and got back into town last week. School started up again this week and I promptly got sick. Again! I was on antibiotics for 27 days in Nov/Dec. And it looks like I might need more again. I'm so very tired of getting sick. I may have to talk to the docs about getting tested for an immune disorder that we've found in the family during the past year. The white blood cells don't mature properly, leaving us more prone to infection. I suppose it might just be a reaction to stress and depression...

Speaking of depression, I have been REALLY struggling lately. Not dangerous to myself, but struggling more than I have in a long time. And that is *with* antidepressants. If I wasn't afraid of not going back, I'd consider looking into a medical leave of absence for this semester and put off graduation until December. I probably should talk with my parents, but I don't want to worry them... Of course, they would WANT me to talk to them. But it's just so hard sometimes. I hate admitting to weakness, even though the freaky brain biochemistry isn't my fault.

I'll have to go spend time with Fessor tomorrow. He always makes me feel better. My riding is suffering from the anxiety/depression, but grooming is peaceful. And if I recognize that I'm stressed I take a Xanex before I go. It just that sometime I get there and the tension develops once I'm there. I am tired of being a basket case! And of being so sound sensitive that I flinch at every unexpected noise and make my horse tense. :(

Sorry to bring things down. I just had to put some of this on "paper". I'll be ok. I just need to decide what to do now...

Tracy