Sign in to follow this  
TracyA

Dressage Chit Chat #23

Ha ha Krazy. We should switch then. I need larger pads for my saddle and I bet these will just barely fit. I have not tried them on yet. I don't want to get them dirty. Ha ha. I am waiting for a colder day so he wont' sweat all over it when I ride. Plus I like my Lynn Palm Pro Choice pad. It gives that little bit of extra cushion under the saddle panels and distributes the weight better. I have a black one for every day and I want a white one for show. But I may just try one I won. They are Roma's and pretty cushy.

Awesome goodies Boocoo! :)

OK so I'm at my wits end w/ saddles. I just brought home a brand new Passier and tried it on Scotch. I don't think it fits but what do I know when it comes to saddles. Sure there's room between his spine and pommel. Can see all the way through back to front. But when it comes his withers..or the part where the sides of the saddles goes down is where I'm starting to become worried. This latest saddle fit him a bit better than the Prestige, but I just don't know how much room there should be between the saddle and his sides. When I say sides I'm thinking more of the "shoulder" area. Like below the withers, where the front panels lay. When I run my hand down, do have to do a slight push with my hand in order for me to get underneath. This is becoming very frusterating. Anyone have any ideas? Or what kind of saddles I should look into when it comes to fit a pony...yet one that is fairly broad especially in the shoulders?

Edited by 3DayEventer

3day, thank you!

Put the saddle on Scotch without a pad and take pictures, both sides, front and back and under the pommel and post them. Then we can all give our 3 cents worth! You want to have at least two fingers under the pommel. Make sure the saddle tree point is 3 fingers back from the end of the shoulder blade. Saddle should sit flush with his body all the way around without pinching anywhere, or tipping to the front or back. Needs to be balanced and not to low in the pommel. Pics will help a lot. :winking:

3Day-My friend has a horse who is tall, narrow chested, WIDE through the shoulders, and narrow through the back. VERY weird. Plus, she is a bigger bootied girl...I thought she would never find a saddle. She ended up with a Bates Innova and we have a great fitter here and he worked it all over, added shims, took stuff out, and voila...it fits. He was like fitting two different horses at the same time...it will work out:-)

We are in the middle of a nasty winter storm...lots of ice and snow. School is cancelled, YAY! Except I hope I can make it to my barn and there is probably no chance of going to work Shelby. (Weds is the day I work her in the Pessoa.) I had a great 2 hour lesson yesterday and she was great...really coming along. There are some strength issues; which are to be expected with the time she had off, but that will come quickly. She's not spooking or rearing anymore, but she can give out some bitchy mare kicks; those don't bother me. We were going to go to a show in March, but the weather here has been relentless this year, so I am voting to wait till April:-) I am sure the roads will be fine to go ride tomorrow; I am so thrilled to have access to an indoor again!

Boo-I don't have any pics from the clinic, but I do have a video and I will get some clips on youtube. My parents have it now because my dad bugged the **** out of me to see it and they still haven't watched it!

Sylves-Did this storm hit you guys too? Even Ohio State is closed today and that NEVER happens! How is Jag?

Shantel-I am super jealous of you riding in a short sleeve shirt and at a show!!! Now you have your first show out of the way in January and you have the whole year to work! LUCKY!! Oh, meant to tell you I had Shelby tested by Patsy and she is two weeks into her program! (Got the info from Jill:-)

Okay, I guess I need to see if I can make it to my barn...my mom will feed the boys if I can't until later. I am glad to have a break from class...I had those two tests Mon and Tues and I was soooo tired last night. Tonight was supposed to be a review session for a mid-term Monday...ahg. And, since Ohio State is closed my DH is home too, making a mess of my house:-)

Boocoo- I will get some pictures of it tomorrow. Not going anywhere today. School is closed and my boss told me not to go into work today. hehe. I don't have the most idealistic car to drive in the snow/ice.

Beckham- I was trying to avoid Bates, but I have only ridden in the jump version and wasn't thrilled with it. Never ridden in their dressage saddle? Have you ever ridden in one? Penn State is closed today too. No class! YAY! Sounds like you had a great clinic and lesson! Always nice to be at an indoor. I board at a place w/ an indoor too. But year around. Wish i could keep him at home during the nicer months. I think I would save a lot of money! Nope no certificate! Weird!

3-Day-I actually ride in Bates Isabells. I went through a million saddles and for some reason they really fit my body type and every trainer I have ridden with comments on that and has never suggested I buy another:-) I have 2, one I got a great deal on from Ebay and the other I bought new. Just like everyone, I have saddles that make me miserable and some others (like Amerigos), so it just depends on you and your horse. I was really not impressed by the look of the Innova, but see them everywhere. I rode in my friend's, but it was way too big. I hope you are enjoying your day off too:-)

Boo-How bad is the ice and snow there? Sucks it is in TX too!

I drove to the barn to feed the boys...should have had my mom do it...the roads were awful! It was snowing so hard I could only see about 1 foot and front of my car and I had no idea where the road was. The wind is blowing and you can here the icy trees snapping. The snow is about done according to the radar, so I will give time for the roads to be clear(er) and will head back out and take some pics of the boys in the snow!

Beckham- hmm maybe I should just try one for the heck of it. What is the knee block like on it? When I rode in the Prestige Coroina yesterday I felt ok in it but not secure. I am used to a saddle w/ knee blocks. I sat in the Passier GG and liked out it fit me, but haven't ridden in it yet. I was also looking at Anky's...but heard they can be tight in wither area? Know anything about that?

An Anky is what was pinching my friend's horse, then it popped up in the back...everything fit him so strange. I guess I am lucky right now with having stuff that fits...my horses are all so darn wide. Beckham has a big flat back with no withers!

My sister-n-law and niece love Bates saddles. I personally did not care for the fit for Beau or me. It really is a personal thing, isn't it, but 3day, try them all. It may work for you. Kieffer also has some very nice saddles. My trainer in Cal. loved them, but they didn't fit me or Beau either.

We had frozen precip this a.m. but in my area, no ice on the roads. We started school at the normal time and now the sun is shining and it feels pretty good out there. Cold but not horribly bone chilling like this a.m. and yesterday.

Beck, do you post on UDBB? I didnt know you did! How do you know Jill? Just from the boards? I just came back from her place. The chiro was up. We had both mares done. Mingo was out in her sacrum, hip, and back. Explains the piss and vinegar at the show. Layla - whew. I guess the fall in the pasture did a number on her. She was out in her poll, C4/C5, lumbar, hip, and had a killer spasm on her right lumbar area above her flank. She has had that spasm since Ive had her and we have worked on it but never gotten it totally gone. Well as of right now, ITS GONE. She looks much softer in the muscles. What did Patsy find was up with Shelby? And yes, we showed in short sleeves but tonight is rain which is another cold front. From mid 70s down to low 30s in less than 24 hours. Gotta love it.

Im getting anxious about this whole job thing. Ive applied at every dental position I can and the two that sounded perfect... well I called to check up on the position to find out they both have been filled. Ugh. I really dont want to do a job in customer service or banking but if I cant get a job in dental... I guess I will have to. :indifferent:

You guys be careful with all the snow and ice! And 3Day - I feel ya on the saddle woes. I think I had over 20 different saddles sent to me on trial before I found the perfect one for me and Layla. What is your budget? Ann @ Equestrian Imports is AMAZING and she has used saddles as well. Id check out her website and see if she can help you.

You guys need to slow down! I know it's winter over there and you're all stuck inside but still!!

Shantel, Woohoo, first show! Bummer it didn't go so well, but, at least everyone was marked the same. LOL, love the lengthen across diagonal pic! She's still a beautiful girl! Toby and Hope are beautiful!! I so so hope you find the right position soon, I'm sure something will turn up!

Megan, Brrrr, I'll share some warmth with you! Ugh saddle fitting, definitely do what boocoo suggested.. not that I can help much but someone else can! I'll just look at the pony pictures you are sure to get at the same time.....

csa, Awwww, what a cutie! Great story.

Boo, you really hauled thenm in! What an awesome result! It's a great rflection of just how much work you put in!

Beckham, eww, hopefully the storm clears soon!

Ink, Why hello there... :happy0203:

I bought new gloves the other day, they're those ones that support breast cancer, black leather with pink between the fingers, I think they're awesome and I don't do pink LOL. Pony man is feeling better and I love being back on him, it's like coming home from a holiday lol.

We're going out for Mexican tomorrow for my Birthday, should be good.

Hope everyone has a great day/night/whatever time it is there!

Edited by Lightning Strikes Twice

Shantel-I lurk at UDBB, but I saw Jill's post on Patsy and did it for Shelby...she has been on all of her stuff for 2 weeks. Let's see, mold allergy, low seratonin, kidney stone, her adrenaline was high, low probiotics, and some stuff she needs to chiro for, which it is time for again anyway. So far so good and she is eating everything!

Okay kids...I am gonna watch some Idol then my snow day is over:( I need to do some homework...I am sure class will be on tomorrow even though the roads are crap. But, I will leave you with this from this evening:

100_0998.JPG

Edited by Beckham03

Beckham- hmm Well I'm going to continue to search. I just sat in an Orthoflex saddle. What an interesting saddle! There is no flocking! 2 of my friends rave about them! And I know Anne Rawle rides all her horses and endorses them. So i'm going to try out one of their saddles. I think I'm going to call Dover and see if they can send me out an Anky. Just for the heck of it. Booo you are probably right. Back to classes tomorrow. Great pics of your kids :)

Boocoo- Thanks I think I will try them out. I'll be sitting in a lot of saddles to say the least.

Shantel- Well I want to stay under 2500k. I can't afford a custom saddle....do you have her website? Good luck w/ your job search!

LTS- Yeh ick. saddle shopping. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you have a great day and enjoy the mexican!

www.equestrianimports.com

She can certainly find you a saddle within the budget. Shes amazing. Let her know that Shantel Brooks refered you!

I sold my saddle through Ann at Equestrian Imports and tried a number of saddles for Walter before deciding on my Jaguar. She's fantastic to work with and helped my friend Dru with her Albion. I'm having my saddle fitted when the fitter goes down to Ocala and he travels--he was up in Vermont this summer. It helps is you already have the saddle you like though (and it fits).

OMG, I don't think I could do that snow--I hate being cold and I'm so ready for SPRING. It was really cold in Florida (for Florida) while I was there last week, and I FROZE!!!!!!! Of course, it was back up in the 70s as soon as I left. Now it looks like my baby may be teething, so not sure when I'll be back down. Sigh.

Thanks ladies!

Shantel- Did you call first and talk to someone? I guess I'm not sure what to say! lol. Hi my name is Lauren and I'm at lost on finding a saddle to fit my pony that's within my budget? haha?

PMJ- how long did it take for them to sell your saddle? I currently do have an Albion that I want to sell...

We got maybe an inch of fluff. All of that nasty stuff was several miles south of us.

I'm still not riding; too much ice under the crispy snow, large drifts that are iced over from the wind and it's just plain cold! Jag is a tough ol' boy. If he survived last winter without any shelter and not enough hay/feed (previous owner), then he'll do great with a run-in barn and all the hay he wants! He was playful this morning with me when I went out to feed him; stepping high through the snow, frisky as ever. It was a blast to watch!

Ah, 3-dayeventer, saddle shopping. I'm so glad I lucked out with my Kieffer Ebay find. I'm still on the look out for a decent jump saddle; just bought a Crosby CC on ebay this week. We'll see. The last Crosby CC I had (several years ago) seemed to fit all of the lesson horses at my college that I rode! Good luck finding the right fit!

All of you guys getting these year end awards... I'm just a little envious, lol! One of these days I'll be doing steady showing, and maybe I can get a certificate! That would be cool!

Boocoo, If you have any unusual suggestions for computer projects for my kids, let me know. I'm always looking for ideas!

Beck, love the pictures!

KTM, I just LOVE your mare. I'm so glad she gets the exceptional care; I mean, you know exactly where she's out of alignment. That's so cool!

Okay, going to hit the sack! Good night!

Edited by Sylves

3Day - I emailed her the photos that she needs (see the saddle fitting/wither tracing section on her website) and then I called and just said HELP! lol Trust me, youll love her.

Sylves - Thanks! LOL And I only know where she is out of alignment because the chiro told me everywhere she adjusted her. I could tell she was out but only b/c Ive had her for almost 7 years and have learned her quirks and behaviors when somethings not right.

On a side note... I cant sleep. I went to bed at like 3am. Woke up around 6:30 and tossed and turned until 8am when I got a phone call. Well, everyone wish me luck, because tomorrow at 1pm I have an interview at an office. It is the kind of office I would love to work at too - completely paperless, state of the art technology, modern, etc. So everyone keep your fingers crossed! This will be an interview with the office manager and then if she likes me, I will interview with the dentist. Eek. I really really really need this. Maybe that was why I couldnt sleep?

It is POURING rain right now. The yard and pastures are flooded. Poor ponies are all wet. Dogs are on the back porch begging to come inside. But it isnt cold. Kind of a blah day. And I need to go get feed and now that the closest feed store to me stopped carrying Buckeye, I have to drive over 45 mins one way to go get it. Ughhhh....

Off to eat some breakfest I guess...

Edited by KrazyTBMare

I don't really recall. I'd had it for a long time, had very bad e-bay experience, tack stores here don't move things, and my experience w/Ann and saddle shopping was very positive so I sent it down--I think it was less than 6 months.

I know when I was shopping for a saddle, I think I called. I faxed the wither tracing and e-mailed photos of my gelding down to her to help her help me. We also took photos when the saddles arrived to judge fit. I had an idea of what saddle(s) I wanted to try as well.

We typically have our horses massaged on a regular basis to keep them loose as well as keeping a "feel" of what is going on. Luckily, in Aiken we have a really good person. I keep all the sheets so it is interesting to see how they develop.

Sylves--you are going to be out there in no time w/those year end awards!!!

It rained here all day yesterday too. I think it's supposed to be cold(er) today. Ugh. Again with the cold weather.

Edited by PMJ

Thanks for the compliments Lightning. It really was a good year for us. And I am fortunate in that I live in an area that does not get snow. We get a bit of ice once in a while. The type that is melted by noon, but that's about it. The weather fluctuates all winter long. We may have a couple of really cold days, but then it will warm up. For example, Monday it was in the high 70's and after I rode I had to hose Beau off. Tues. it was down in the 30's. but that was that artic cold front that swept much of the country and we were back in the high 50's by yesterday and low 60's today and should be nice through the weekend. So we don't have a "real" winter all winter long. I could not take that. I love it when it's hot in the summer time! My favorite time of year!!

Beckham, how long has that snow been on the ground? Hope it warms up for you soon?

You guys are NOT going to believe this.

So I call up my old boss and leave a message that I need that letter of recommendation b/c I have an interview. Well I get a call back from him and long story short, he offers me my job back. I will be reinstated at my 90 days, etc. So of course with this economy and over 100,000 people just losing their job, I am not going to turn it down. I am well aware of how he handles things now and can be on alert. Plus the job I was interviewing for was only for 24 hours - so that really sucked.

So all of a sudden he calls me back and is like ya know I can write your letter of recommendation but if you arent sure about coming back....

And Im like Wait! I called and left that message BEFORE you called me back. I thought that was why he called me. And he lets me know that no, he called me b/c he wanted to offer my job back, NOT because I called and left a message. Weird.

So stressful as it is, I have a job and I start back on Monday. At this point in time I cant be picky - I was about to go get a job application for Mc Donalds. Ick.

That is great Shantel...I am about ready to hit McD's for a part time job...there is nothing here. I was a little pissed at Starbucks when I left because I was supposed to become an assistant manager, but that all fell through and I decided to go back to school...now I hear they are laying off 7000 more people. My dad told me to go work with my cousin a few hours a week at Home Depot...well they layed everyone off too!! It is really bad here. I am lucky I have school, I guess. and I have time to ride...but I REALLY need the extra money. I am trying not to stress because I know things are just not good for most people and when I see that stuff on the news I have to turn it! Hmmm, I could make coffee at McD's? Yuck...

Boo-That snow has been here all month. It melted off after Christmas and now just keeps coming. We got about 8 inches yesterday and there is a layer of ice in there. The fences and everything are coated with ice. The roads are still awful because they are all bumpy with ice. I am really sick of this!

I went and rode Shelby for about a half hour and she was pretty good considering the weather. She was a little high and "snorty", but not spooky or bad...so I will take it. I have a lesson tomorrow. I still have to go clean my stalls and take care of the boys. They are out playing. I have about the only horses in my neighborhood who go out and play in the field...all the others hover around the barn, including my mom's. It takes so stinking long to do anything when the weather is like this...depressing:( Okay, off to shovel more poop! HAHAHAHA!

Beck, yeh the job market everywhere sucks. It is really sad. Good luck finding something!

Well, what does one do when they are stressed and things start to come together? Well if you are me, you go do something drastic to your hair.

0129091413.jpg

Tada!

OMGosh, I love the new hair style! It looks soooo good on your face! I wish short hair looked that good on me too...

Beck, you're getting snowed in- 8 inches! Holy buckets!

Our job economy isn't too bad in Western Iowa right now. Thank goodness Chad and I still have our teaching jobs! His family is still making good money on the farm (with crop prices averaging pretty high), so his parents have been able to pay Chad for his work on the farm. Now I'm looking at our tax returns... we're gettin' some money back from the IRS (even though I aim for breaking even... <sigh>

I really hope things start looking up for everyone. KTM, congrats on getting your job back. Sounds like they missed ya!

That's great news, Shantel. It may be awkward, but what a relief to be employed again. And there shouldn't be any of the new job awkwardness as you figure out how this particular office likes things done.

I'm beginning to think I may just graduate on time after all. I had a full blown panic attack at school yesterday. :( Not just anxiety, a full blown "let's huddle in the corner in a little ball and scream" type attack. I managed to not actually get on the floor, but I was VERY close. Fortunately, this was just before one of my classes. I was able to sort of hold on until class started and I was distracted by the discussion. Right after class, I went to health services. We upped my anti-depressant for the second time in a month and started on daily Xanex. I have an appointment on Monday with the counsellor and will check in with the docs next week. I'll have to decide if I need a psychiatrist for the meds until I get more stable and if I'll go off campus for a different therapist. We'll see. For now, I'm better on the Xanex. A bit numb, and still a bit fragile, but no longer trying to fight of hysterics. I finally managed to cry yesterday, after weeks of wanting to but not being able to let go enough (even in the privacy of my own room).

I spoke with one of my professors yesterday and again today about how I can reduce my stress level a bit. He's been VERY supportive, and encouraged me to ask for help in all areas of school, not just in the therapy and meds area. Then today, I spoke with one of the deans for a few minutes today to make sure and work out a couple issues I've been having. Again, he was very supportive.

Overall, I'm going to be ok. But I am TIRED of being depressed, anxious, and occasionally neurotic.

Fessor is good therapy. If I'm feeling too tense, I'll just groom and lunge him. On better days, I try for some fairly low key rides. I'm hoping the weather will warm up enough to get out on a more consistent basis. In the meantime, he's holding weight well and seems happy. Once spring comes, I'll be volunteering to help fence in some more turnout areas. For now, he gets out in the indoor once in awhile.

Tracy

Sylves, what age level are your students? Do you have Power Point? One fun project is to have the students do a power point presentation on a country, or make their own menus for a restaraunt. They love putting in music and videos and stuff like that. Also teaching elem. age students how to do charts and graphs is always fun. I always used M & M's for my data. 10 red ones, 6 blue ones, 8 yellow, etc.... and have them chart them in an excel spread sheet according to color, then put them in a pie graph or bar graph. It's lots of fun. For younger kids, teaching them how to get a picture off the internet and put it in a micro soft word doc and teach them how to re-size it and move it around. They love that. Or have them do a little presentation using clip art. I'll have to see what else I can think of.

Not much going on here. We are going to buy new computers for our house tomorrow night. A desk top for us and a lap top for our son. And we will be getting rid of the dial up and going to satelite internet. Can't get DSL at my house and I can't take this dial up anymore. There are to many things I need to do, but can't even load because the speed is soooooooooooo slooooooooooooooow!!! Argh. I can't wait.

Lesson tomorrow. First once since Christmas, except for the clinic. I definitely need to get back into a routine.

Yep, Booccoo, we've done all those. I feel like I've exhausted all of the cool and exciting options, although I occasionally come up with some new ideas. The kids LOVED the M&Ms graphing project- I just gave them their own bag of M&Ms or Skittles and they counted, ate and graphed away! We graphed Olympic medals won by the top five countries, my 5th/6th graders just finished presenting their "endangered species" power point presentations on the big screen with projector (those were cool), my 3rd/4th graders just finished up their Bible Trivia game on PowerPoint (hyperlinks, "movie" clip art, and sounds within the document included), and my 2nd graders just finished mini dinosaur reports (they enjoyed changing the font color, size and style, searching Google.com for pics, etc). What next... ? We'll see what my little brain can think of next...

I work with grades Preschool-6th grade. My kids don't start true computer class (working with MS Office and the Internet) until 2nd grade. Pre-1st is spent playing software games, getting used to the mouse, launching applications, learning the parts of the computer, etc.

I was just told by our principal that we are looking at getting all new computers, monitors and printers for my lab! I asked if he would consider MS Office Pro 2007 as well... <jumping up and down with excitement!>

Aw, it's 40 degrees outside ! AND, I got my new/used Crosby CC saddle in the mail today... Sooooo, I think I might go try it out on Jaggar this afternoon when hubby gets back from chores... <smiling ear to ear!>

Edited by Sylves

Tracy, that is wonderful that you're getting such good help and support. Could there be any non-traditional/alternative treatments available? Hypnosis maybe?

That is great that you were able to cry finally. It must be so horrible to not be able to release the pinned up feelings. My heart goes out to you. <hugs>