Sign in to follow this  
TracyA

Dressage Chit Chat #23

I hear ya on the giraffe rides with the wildlife!!! My arena is next to a pond and we practically raise deer...12-20 out at a time. Now it is the coyotes! Shelby was freaking one day and I realized there was a coyote watching us! I am glad I am not the only one that has that problem! Glad you had a nice ride though!

We are coming out of the deep freeze! Not only will we break 40 today for the first time all week, we might break 50!! Maybe 60s by the weekend.

I get to scribe all day tomorrow, love doing that.

I'm also getting updated vids of the Frais this weekend, so I'll post them here too. Today is dressage video day, Sunday I will video him jumping. I jumped him last night, and worked on our canter distances a bit, and he nearly got them spot on every time. Such a smart boy!

Shantel, I will be showing at Orlando Equestrian Park next weekend if you want to come down, and then Newberry the last weekend of the month. I have two rides on Sat, and just one on Sunday.

Holy Cow. Why did I ride that long in the close contact?

I fell in love all over again with the dressage saddle. You know when something "clicks"? That is how I feel when I ride in the dressage saddle. My trainer ever had me drop my stirrups two holes down first thing (!) but I think I rode even better. Still learning how to have a long leg, but yes, yes, yes.

Trot was slightly above average. Great pacing, nice reach, bending wasn't great, but overall solid.

The canter? To die for. Trainer said it was the best canter she has seen for a long time from us. It was really, really nice. Like, I felt like I could go Training right now. We probably could, but still, you know what I mean.

I also got a short lesson on a new horse I will be riding. Trainer made it the first thing on her agenda; basically she told me it was time to grow up and move on to bigger and better things. I definitely will still lease The Pony because I won't let up on our dream of BN, but this young, cute-as-a-button mare will be a great learning experience for me. Just a couple times a week, w/t for right now (canter is er, a learning progress). She doesn't know much but is very sweet and will make a blue-ribbon hunter mare without a doubt one day. Hands down.

So I will learn, she will learn. I am very excited but I definitely don't want to let up on riding Spec until we at least get to one competition this spring.

I will read everyone else's later!

Thanks ladies!

Shantel- Did you call first and talk to someone? I guess I'm not sure what to say! lol. Hi my name is Lauren and I'm at lost on finding a saddle to fit my pony that's within my budget? haha?

PMJ- how long did it take for them to sell your saddle? I currently do have an Albion that I want to sell...

What are the specs on your Albion? Guess who else is now needing a new saddle? Ahg.

Ann is looking for one for me...I am looking for an Albion LS. What a long day, and now it looks like I need to get one of my saddles on Ebay...

It is supposed to be 50 here tomorrow!!

I have a MW Albion SLK 17.5 seat. I love this saddle. You are working w/ Ann too Beck? Hmm sounds like I should get a move on and do Scotch's wither tracings and see what she can find.

Wow! Lots of new saddles! I'll cross my fingers that it isn't too painful a process for everyone.

Those pics of Scotch are definitely an Awwwww moment, Lauren!

dobby, ooh a new project, how exciting, pics?

I ordered a new bridle the other day, I had gift vouchers and felt like splurging.... so I did... now I'm contemplating a new bit (a gold snaffle) to go with it.. that's bad, tell me I shouldn't, someone?!

This one, http://www.speedgate.co.uk/products/enlarged.htm?id=12187

With a bit like this http://www.valleycountry.com.au/catalogue/...t_rings/summary

Riding has been blah, I feel like we've gone back to where we were months ago... blah

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

I have a MW Albion SLK 17.5 seat. I love this saddle. You are working w/ Ann too Beck? Hmm sounds like I should get a move on and do Scotch's wither tracings and see what she can find.

That's what I am looking for...is it LH or HH?

Ann doesn't have any in stock and said she would put a search out...I am not finding any. The one I am trying has already been sold:( I have been all over the internet tonight and can't find what I want...I am getting my stuff on Ebay tomorrow instead of selling through Ann...a little cheaper:-)

PM me...:-)

Lightning-That is a cute bridle; how fun!!! I love getting gift cards. And, I love blingy browbands!!! Shelby has one with pink pearls:-) With the boys I can't be so bright. Beckham just has a single row on jewels on his.

Is it still so hot is Australia?

It is warming up here a little. Had a great lesson on Shelby today and got to ride Beckham a little...the arena at home will hopefully thaw more tomorrow and I can do more then walk and a little trot.

I am going to go check out that show "Jockeys"...

LTS- hehe thanks! He was napping in the sun! Soaking it up before it turned very cold! ARGH! OOO I like that bridle! Cute! Not feeling the bit though. hehe sorry! Don't worry your riding will get back up to where it once was! We all have those 3 steps forward one step back type of deals. Hope all is well on your side of the globe! And the saddle process is PAINFUL! I hate hate it!

Yes, Beckham it's still hot. We really have been lucky here, it hasn't been as bad as in a lot of places, but today and tomorrow are hot! I know! I love gift cards, I never buy something 'just because'.. but I did lol. They had one I could get right away, but it was much 'girlier' hahaha and I didn't like it so much.

Hahaha Lauren, I know I'm back and forth on the bit myself

I've been invited out to dinner... but I haven't done hardly anything all day, and I don't really feel like it.. hmmm

Lightning--Nah, no pics. Not my horse, not my lease, not my right. :) I get very uncomfortable posting pictures on here, you know, the whole internet thing. Everyone's rights and privacy...its just all ambigious. (Spelling?) Plus, winter fuzzies abound! Doesn't show off her royal cuteness as much as the springtime will. Seriously, this thing will look dynamite by June.

Additionally, I'm just lucky to get to ride her! I look forward to tomorrowwww.

High speed interent is here! Woohoo! I was finally able to view all the pics on the photo thread. Not to mention, I can use the phone again whilst I am on the computer. We had DSL at my old house, but when we moved in here last summer it's not available in my area. We went with dial up and finally couldn't take it anymore. Got the new computer last weekend and we are on high speed satelite internet now! I love it.

Beckham, are your horses freaked out by the deer? Man, if they are close by, Beau is impossible! [Crazy]

I have an Albion and I thought I would have to have the HH for Beau. But when I took him for his saddle fit and she did the tracings on him, he actually only needs the LH. I was quite suprised. It fits him great and I have had it two and a half years now. I love that saddle. My other favorite is the Prestige 2000D. That's the one I rented from Anne while I waited for my Albion.

Ann is supposed to search for an Albion for me...and we were thinking an LH would do it. I also found a nice Amerigo I like. I have ridden in this model before and love it. We'll see...I hate shopping for saddles...glad to hear your opinion on the Albion though!

Winston and Beckham could care less about the dear, but Shelby freaks a bit. She has gotten better...we really have SO MANY dear around the barn all of the time they eventually get used to them. I am finding the coyotes disturbing; but they took care of my groundhog problem! I have to lock my cats up at night though...However, we haven't had a cat disappear in many many years.

I think it was about 6 months. It wasn't that long, and so professional. I'd had pretty bad experiences w/not getting paid by the tack stores so it was so nice to work with her.

Keep your fingers crossed--I'm a tad stressed out w/the saddle fitter meeting me this week and seeing if my saddle will fit Rubein. I so don't want to have to shop for a new one. I've already had to buy new bridles (sigh) so all my lovely rolled bridles, including my double will end up being for sale at some point. No way his tiny head will every grow. He's getting nice and tall, 16.1 I think by now, but he's a slim horse. I guess nothing I can do but wait.

Love that pink blanket!

Oh, Shantel--I love your hair!!! Meant to tell you that earlier!!!!

Some Frasier pics from our warm weekend!

Still12.jpg

Still10.jpg

Still8.jpg

Still14.jpg

Poneee can streeetch

Still15.jpg

Never say I don't enjoy a good romp in the field

Still2.jpg

Pics of him jumping on the HJ board!

Yeah, Beckham, I am very pleased with my Albion. I got the SLK Ultima. She measured it so he would have room to grow into a bit also.

Your pictures are great and yes, the mare looks stunning in pink!!

Nice pics of you riding also KTS. Lovely horses. Frasier is coming along!!

I had a great ride on Beau today. It was warm, but very windy. I expected him to be a spooky maniac, and he was, but not to bad. He was doing some nice SI and then we worked on haunches in. Not bad on the left side and he actually got it quite nicely on the right. We have been working on this for a while, so I was ecstatic with him today. I think he is finally understanding what I want here!! I sure praised him loud enough to scare the deer off, Momma was so proud!!! :happy0203:

Hi guys I know it's been forever - The last few months have been more or less insane. I promise a more detailed update later this week after midterms

I just was wondering how you're doing LST...I saw the fires on the news. How horrible. Especially to think that someone started them on purpose...

I don't know how far you are from them, but I thought of you when I saw the news clip. Hope things are going well for you.

Great pics KTS, as usual, Frasier looks like a really nice boy!

Yay for a great ride Boocoo!

Meagaaaaan, how've you been girlie? and the horses? Fortunately I'm a long way from the fires, it's so so sad the news coming up from there though. A LOT of fires here are lit intentionally, the big ones up here a few years ago, that could easily have put us in the same situation that Victoria is in now, were arson... I'll never understand why, I have no sympathy for arsonists of any kind, especially once their fires start killing hundreds of people, there is no excuse for that.... *sigh*

Well, now the work preparing for the show season can begin. I clipped Fessor yesterday so he will dry quickly if we get sweaty working in the indoor. I have a lot to work on, and I NEED to ride to help address my emotional/mental issues. The only way to desensitize myself is to work at it while I'm on Fessor.

I also added a LOT of holes to my side reins. Their shortest length was way too long to be effective for Fessor, but does work ok for the 18Hh perch cross. So now, I can adjust the length with the new holes instead of tying the side reins off to the approximate length. I'm finding Fessor and I need to do some remedial lunge work. I inadvertantly let him get VERY disrespectful on the lunge line -- circling in closer and closer at the slower gaits and ignoring downward transition cues. He knows what I want -- when I ask for the downward he tosses his head and inverts because he knows that when he ignores me I'll tug on the lunge line. ***sigh*** SO, we've improvised a tie down with his rope halter so that the head up evasion isn't an option. And if I attach the lunge line to the rope halter, I won't be yanking on his mouth to correct the refusal to do downward transitions reasonably promptly. Now the only thing to do is find a setting where he has to stretch into the rein to connect, and make sure I can reach his hocks with my whip to encourage him forward.

For myself, I need to work on mental relaxation and letting unexpected noises pass across my awareness without really noticing them. I'm too reactive -- probably a result of the anxiety I'm being treated for. Right now, I plan on taking Xanex before ALL of my rides. I don't want it to become a crutch, but for now I'm on a daily dose anyway. The other area I want to work on for me is body awareness and alignment. Fessor will tell me if I am tense or crooked, but I can be a bit slow on the uptake. I want to learn to notice physical tension or tightness as soon as it occurs and find ways to counteract that tension. Again, that takes saddle time as much as anything. That, and really paying attention to what my horse is telling me EVERY stride. So I need to find a state of relaxed focus where I can make the changes in my body that my horse tells me I need to make. Finally, I need to start stretching. I'm so very tight in most of my muscles, that it isn't remotely funny. Once I loosen my muscles a bit and improve my flexibility, I should be able to ride softer in the saddle. Fessor will approve! :)

Can anyone arrange for me to win the lottery? I just want to have my own place with a few horses (including my trainer and one of her first students with their horses). I would love to be able to build to my own specifications, and have enough room for a largish indoor (at LEAST big enough to include a regulation dressage arena) and space to ride outdoors. And enough pasture space to subdivide so that I can rotate horses and give the pastures a rest so grass can grow. And GOOD, safe fencing.... Yes, my wish list keeps getting longer. :D

Tracy

Tracy- [Huggy] Hang in there. It sounds like things are slowly getting better.

LST-Glad to hear you are safe from the fires. It sounds devastating. I can't believe some people are so stupid to start fires that lead to such destruction.

KTS nice pics.

3day-Can you reccomend any trainers who will travel to the bucks/mont. area?

Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day. Everything was melting so the ring was like soup. So only walk/trot work. So I decided to try a new western bit I had gotten. With all the dreaage work we have been doing Cheese had decided her old bit was too much. So I got a dogbone argetine bit. Cheese loved it. Her trot was amazing on the bit and round. The nextday(yesterday) ws not so good. Everything just hit me. Trainer issues, the possibilty of not showing for awhile, and work stress. So I rode like poo and my horse responded accordingly. That didn't help my mood. I was suppose to go to a local club meeting last night and raise some heck over the gymkhana. Basically the club president has taken over and if you win (and not from his barn) they make a rule against you. This was a fun place to ride. I did a few shows there to relax and have some fun. I think I am just done with them. I ended up visiting my sister and niece for a little and got sucked into hanging out there for a bit. Much better than a club meeting.

I'm really excited; I got a call from a dressage trainer/rider from Grand Island, Nebraska who teaches in Omaha on the weekends. She said that she has a horse that she could give me a lunge lesson on!

I also met Heidi Basler last weekend. She said that she has some young horses in Sioux City, and she is thinking about keeping them in Sioux City to train. If she decides to train in Sioux City, she'll give me lessons on Jag (Sioux City is only an hour drive for us!).

Also, I heard of a Michael Beining who does clinics in Omaha... Does anyone know of this guy?

Gotta go- Recess duty!

:-)

Yay! It looks like I'm going to get some much needed riding lessons!

Edited by Sylves

So I'm curious, can I join this thread? I used to post on HC more a long time ago and just got wrapped up in work and life and stopped, but I would love to have a dressage network and you all seem to have such great friendly support for each other :)

Here's my scoop: I grew up riding H/J and had fun with it, then joined the dressage team in college (UC Davis) and loved it! After college I had to sell my horse as I was on "my own" and without my parents' help I couldn't afford a horse any more. Married, had a baby and that was it for a bit. Finally got a horse again a few years later but just trail rode for about six years as lessons and anything structured wasn't going to happen being a young mom starting a career. But I was SO happy to be riding again, so it was all good. The horse was my mare Echo, who I still have and I posted pics of her in the pics forum on this board.

Eventually divorced (bad marriage, too young) and my daughter, Echo and I moved from Oregon to Arizona where I decided that with a fresh start, I wanted to get back into lessons! It took about a year to get that to be a realization, but now for the last year Echo and I have been taking lessons whenever possible and are slowly coming along. Echo was never anything but a trail horse until now (I tried to school her a bit in dressage, but realized I didn't know enough yet to do a good job of it without help), so our progress is a bit slow, but I think we're finally starting to get some "aha!" moments. She seems so happy to have some support and discipline, so it's really fun.

I'm hoping that this year I'll go to my first show in twelve years! It'll be Echo's first show ever.

OK, that's enough info for now. Just wanted to introduce myself properly :)

Sounds like all is well for everyone!

LTS- glad that you are far from the fires! I can just imagine the devastation that it is causing. :-(

Boocoo- Great rides are always needed! Glad to hear that he is coming along soooo well!

PMJ- good luck w/ the saddle! hope you don't have to buy a new one!

csa- I do knowof trainer's that would travel to Bucks...my barn is actually on the border of Berks/Mont. PM me for names and numbers of trainers.

Sylves- Excellent! I hope you are able to find someone to ride w/ consistently! I don't know the name of any of the trainers but keeping my fingers crossed for you!

ESD- welcome! Just jump on in! sounds like you and Echo are on the right path. Good luck at the show! when is it? We always enjoy pics!

KTS- nice pics of your boy.

Not much is going on here. Scotch is doing quite well! Am now trying to start back up on a consistent schedule w/ him. Even though he gets his hocks injected next week...hopefully. Weather needs to stay decent in order for me to haul him down there. Went on a lovely hack...he was very well behaved! :D Attaching some photos of the first day trying to get back onto a schedule.

Walking to the indoor

post-11964-1234293616_thumb.jpg

I might biased, but I have a cute pony ;)

post-11964-1234293648_thumb.jpg

Warm-up

post-11964-1234293670_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3DayEventer

Hi everyone! Busy week here:-)

Vegas-Hi! We want an update!

ES-Welcome!

Sylves-Did any of these bad storms hit you guys? We are supposed to get hammered today:( When are you going to get to try those lessons?

Lightening-I hope you and your family and friends are staying safe down there!

3Day-Man, nice arena! I hope you are enjoying this warm-up too!

Shantel-Where have you been?

Boo-Yay on the great ride!! I thought of you the other night...I was riding Beckham and there were about 7 deer playing around the pound. I yelled "Hi Bambi!" They looked at me and kept playing; they never left! Guess they weren't afraid of me!

I have been bombed with homework this week. I had a great lesson on Shelby yesterday and even did yoga on her during my warm-up. Not all that long ago I wouldn't even take me feet out of the stirrups on her:-) Happy Hump Day!!

Welcome e.s.!!

Scotch is adorable as ever!!!

Well, here's Frais' updated video . . . you can see I believe in cross training, lol.

Well, I have had a rough morning!

Trying to clean the stalls, pack for Florida (leaving tomorrow!! Ack), and then disaster strikes.

I have turned out Bailey, who is on stall rest for a stifle injury, into the small round pen so he can have some grass and enjoy the warm morning, just like I have every day for the last 4 months.

I hear this terrible crash as I am cleaning stalls, so I run out, and he has collapsed the entire pen on top oh him, with his bottom hind leg pinned through the metal bars, and is still struggling.

I get to him, clip a lead rop on him (thank god I left the halter on) and as soon as I arrive, he quiets, curls up, and starts eating grass while lying down. He continues to be still as I try and disassemble the metal planks, but they are all jammed stuck. I have to leave him to grab a hammer and at the last second, grab some rope. When I get back to him, he has laid down completely on his side, legs sticking straight out. The hammer wont dislodge the pins, and he starts to struggle again. I go to his head and quiet him, and convince him to lie back down and be still. He does. But he has since tangled his second hind leg in the bars also.

With him back flat on his side, I pick up the top hind leg, and pull it out, while tying my ropes to the section he is tangled in. I pull the metal back enough that that leg is free, and then slowly pull the plank out from under him, sliding his leg out. He is still stock still, so I am able to pull all the sections that are lying on top of him. He is finally free, but still won't move.

I go back to his head, tell him he can move now. I grab the lead and cluck to him, and he clambers up. And puts weight on the leg, which is scraped but not bleeding.

We walk off. He walks sound! I cold hose him, and bute him, and wrap him, and groom him and baby him, because he is really shaky. He calms down, and is back napping in his stall.

Oh. my God. It was horrible. I don't know how I got those planks off of him, they are really heavy. Adrenaline. I still can't belive he laid still for the whole process, which must have taken over 10 minutes. He LISTENED. It was freaky. He is not a quiet horse, nor a particularly smart one, but he saved himself.

My right hand, the pinky particularly, really hurts. I don't know if he kicked it or I pulled a tendon. ****.

I'm gonna go check on him again.

Holy cow, Kiss the Sky. That sounds intense. Adrenaline indeed! I'm so glad Bailey seems OK. It sounds like you were super woman for a few minutes, but I hope your finger's OK!

3Day - I was thinking the same thing as Beckham - NICE arena! And I'm not sure when our show will be; I'm going to leave that up to my instructor, but I let her know that I want to do it this year. So, some time in the next 11 months! He he.

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome :) I'm excited to have fellow dressage people to talk to. The people at the barn I board at are mostly ropers, gamers or just have their horses for fun. That's just fine with me? except when I'm in the arena while they're roping and Echo and I have to dodge cows and galloping horses while trying to relax, maintain rhythm, etc, lol.

I had a decent lesson yesterday, my first since the beginning of January when it was just TOO COLD! My trainer encouraged me to focus on feel and not think/analyze things so much. She suggested I practice tensing various parts of my body then really letting go to help get a feel for what letting go feels like. Fessor tells me when I do it right -- he starts trying to really stretch down into the bit when I manage to really let go of my entire leg from the hip on down. I see more stretching in my future -- some areas are hard to let go because they are just so tight! I'm a bit stiff today, both from sitting an almost lengthened trot and from body clipping Fessor on Sunday. I need to get into walking the dogs to get more exercise and start building my endurance. And getting into the gym would help too! I just want to win the lottery so I can have a personal trainer to help with weight loss, increased flexibility, and upper body strength. :D

I had to reschedule the farrier today, right after calling him yesterday. When I told him that Fridays and Saturdays I'm generally available all day, I forgot about the memorial service for my aunt on Saturday. Oops! So, I managed to arrange for him to come NEXT Saturday instead, and let a couple key people know so they can spread the word to their students about the change in plan. But I can't be at the church AND at the barn holding Fessor, Eli, Sam (BIG stud), and Cash, along with any of the other five horses who were going to be trimmed.

Poor Sam. He's going to be gelded tomorrow sometime. The current barn can't afford the increased insurance rate for having a stallion on the property, and spring is coming. We need to get rid of the "testosterone poisoning" before Sam gets into full "Let's breed" mode. :) So the almost six year old, 2,000 - 2,200 lb Clyde will soon be a gelding instead of a stallion. He'll still be gorgeous, and when the weather is nice enough to put up some electric fencing he'll be able to go out with some of the other larger horses. I'm hoping to be out at the barn to hold Sam, since the trainer will pass out if she tries to hold her baby and sees blood. Otherwise, I imagine her fiance will go out to hold Sam for the vet.

Not too much to report from here. Staying awake in classes is a challenge these days. The dose of Xanax that calms the anxiety enough for it not to cause problems makes me a bit dopey. Sitting still for too long is an invitation to nap, whether I want to or not. Even if I drink caffeine during class, it's a challenge making it through. ***sigh*** We'll find the right combination one of these days!

Tracy

Edited to add: I'm glad to hear that Bailey is OK! Thank goodness he managed to stay calm enough for you to help him safely. Scary!

Edited by TracyA

Beckham, those "bambi's" are to much! You know, when we lived in AZ and I had wide open desert all around me, he was not as spooky. Coyotes used to walk right through my arena onto the ranch property next door and it never even phased him. But my place here is so heavily wooded, you can't see much except trees and the deer are so abundant, I'm sure he never smelt them like this before! I had a good ride yesterday and we did 1st level test 4. I am excited to say that it is getting easier for us. I remember a couple of months ago when we first did and I thought it was hard. So that's good news.

E.S. Dressage. I remember you from a while back. I have been posting on horse city for 8 years. Oh my gosh, yep, 8 years. I've been on the dressage board for a little over 4 now. When I first started posting on horsecity, you didn't even have to have an account. Then about a year later they made all these accounts for everyone, so it shows I have been on the boards since Dec. of 01. Anyway, welcome to the chit chat thread. We all used to try and comment on everything everyone posted since the last time we were on line, but it's just to much to keep up with. So we all just try and tell each other about whats going on with our horses and most everything else and it works out just great. Where in AZ are you? I am from Tucson. Haven't lived there in 5 years though. But my Mom & sister are still there and I go out there about once a year. I miss it and sometimes want to go "home" but I like it here and I couldn't have a place like I have here, there.

KTS, that is plum scary. And noone was around to help you? Good job on keeping your head and getting that horse out of that mess. That could have been really bad.

Sylves, yeah for lessons.

3day, Scotch is looking great! Glad you are getting back on a schedule.

Lightning, glad you aren't anywhere near those fires. Having lived in So. Cal and southern AZ I know how scary fires can be!!!

We are punting the satelite internet. It is slower than dial up. So I found another one to go with and they will do a signal test before they hook anything up, no charge. So stuck back on dial up for now! Argh! [bang Head]