Sign in to follow this  
MyMareKitty

Need Help With The Youngster...

Ricki's a year and four months now and of course since he's still a baby he loves to play but...

The other day I had him in the indoor with a couple poles in random places and flower boxes here and there so he could have fun. Although since he's not afraid of anything he quickly became bored and just ran around for fun. The problem is sometimes he'd come near me and do a little pounce/kick in the air as if he thought I was one of his horse friends. Honestly, this horse is the least bit intimidating (except for his size-he's a huge baby!). He's never tried to kick me at any other time and has never been aggressive, but this scared me a bit...how do I teach him that he can't "charge" (I wouldn't necessarily go that far but I don't know what else to call it) me without thinking he can't come near me, because he always comes up to me and stops when I call him so I don't want him to think that is wrong.

I'd appreciate any advice (: thank you!!

Honestly it probably isn't that big of a deal. But you do need to get after him for it. He needs to realize that you aren't one of his horse friends that is gonna play with him. If he does it, use a rope and get after him with it. Just show him that he's not supposed to be doing that. Hope that helps!!

Merry Christmas!!

Cracking a lounge whip is the only thing I can think of, but otherwise, I can't imagine how this could become an issue unless he begins channeling that aggression in any other way. Just don't stand in the arena when he's turned out.

It will all come back to ground work. He's young, so establishing this sooner rather than later is important. Teach him what is your space, what is his space and when he's allowed in your space. Basic showmanship skills work well for this.

It doesn't sound like he's dangerous...yet. While I don't think it will be dangerous behavior, the older they get and keep doing this, the more issues you can have later on, especially if he bring aggression into it later on.

Good luck. Pics of the little guy would be great so we can fawn over him!

Actually this is very dangerous behavior because it signals the beginning of pet pookie thinking he can boss you around or treat you like another horse. I'd growl at him and come at him like I was a monster and chase him off. It won't make him afraid of you, I promise. There is a big difference in the way you come up to a horse to chase him out of your space and to catch or pet him. Driving him away simply tells him that kind of behavior isn't acceptable and it doesn't involve anything that is going to hurt or scare him. Plus, I like a horse that will go away when I tell it to. Nothing like trying to put a cranky horse up when you have 5 spoiled horses crowding the gait and not a one of them will shoo and let you through.

Thanks guys! I'm going to try out a couple of the things and just work with him more.

NOTJAP: Sorry I probably should've been more clear haha but it's not turn out. I was just de-sensitizing him to things in the arena and he was just walking around and walking over things and then he would just have those little moments when he'd trot around and then do that.

Actually this is very dangerous behavior because it signals the beginning of pet pookie thinking he can boss you around or treat you like another horse. I'd growl at him and come at him like I was a monster and chase him off. It won't make him afraid of you, I promise. There is a big difference in the way you come up to a horse to chase him out of your space and to catch or pet him. Driving him away simply tells him that kind of behavior isn't acceptable and it doesn't involve anything that is going to hurt or scare him. Plus, I like a horse that will go away when I tell it to. Nothing like trying to put a cranky horse up when you have 5 spoiled horses crowding the gait and not a one of them will shoo and let you through.

Sorry I think I was posting while you replied but thank you so much I will try that for sure. I really should have tried that the first time he did it but it just surprised me so much that I had no idea how to react.

and K. Blue- I will definitely get some pictures up of him very soon! I asked for a new camera for christmas so we'll see...haha. He's HUGE now. Last time we sticked him he was already almost 15hh I'll have to do it again and give you an update.

thats really dangerous. I love playing with my horses loose, but I establish on a rope that they are to keep their buts away at all times. I would definitely carry a whip with you with a pretty long lash so you can get him before he gets to close. Also since you said he was getting bored, try to advance your language and get him to respond to your cues doing different things other than just running around playing.

Just think, if he did that to his mother, she'd kick the crap out of him. I'd carry a whip and when he did it, smack him and yell (the same reaction as if he bit or kicked you) for a few seconds then go back to what you were doing...he'll learn quick.

I really appreciate all of the help you are all giving me!! Tomorrow when I go to the barn I will try some things and let you know how they work out.

Dapplefred: What do you mean by advance your language? Sorry I'm tired and I think I'm a little bit slow tonight..

With my horses, if I'm going to be in the arena they're going to be working, even when loose. When I free lunge, they go around the arena at whatever gait, but they go and they go away from me. If I know they just to run around and be idiots and buck and kick and play then I'll turn them loose in the arena and stand outside and watch.

Tag has a similar habit. He's been doing it since he was a baby and he's almost 8 now and I've gotten after him before so he knows how close he's allowed to get. He will come galloping up to me but he stops about 10 feet away and then walks up to me. Every once in a while he gets really excited and kicks up his heels, which is fine, but sometimes those heels are too close to my head and then he gets in trouble. I just carry a whip and give a good crack or flick it at them if they get too close.

Basically, horses can be horses, but you aren't a horse so if they want to run and play and be silly then I'm all for it as long as they keep their distance from people.