Sign in to follow this  
sjohnson9206

Peanut Aka Hez Totally Majestic

I purchased Allie in September and she was sold in foal. We're currently thinking that she's not as she's due 3/30 (in 80+ days), is not bagging and doesn't really have a baby bump... it could just be a hay baby if you know what I mean. The vet was out a couple months ago and looking at her he didn't think she was in foal.

I'm getting ready to take her in for ultrasound and that jazz, but before I do that, what should I be looking for with a little over 80 days left?

I'll try and post pics tonight.

Edited by Apps4Life

Well my mare is due mid march and there is not much change in her either but i can see the baby move at feeding time her tail head is still strong and no udder development but i can tell she is prego. I would have the vet palp her to make sure and to remove all doubt. Go look at her foal watch thread to see how my mare looks and compare but i would have the vet check her.

Edited by Halo's Mom

She likely wouldn't start bagging up until about 4-6 before due date. If she is a maiden mare, she also may not have a huge belly. Or if she is long backed she may not have a huge belly. I had a mare that even on her 3rd foal didn't look bred until the last few weeks.

I would have the vet PALPATE before paying for an ultrasound. If he palpates and determines she is in foal, then you can ultrasound.

Good luck!

She is a maiden mare and she does have a longer back. My vet won't palpate as he has arms the size of sides of beef. He said that they have a new blood test, but I'm not sure how accurate that would be.

Sorry I didn't explain more, to do an ultrasound I'll have to take Allie to the partner horse clinic that my vet has.. another vet will palpate and then if there's something ultrasound.

Here are some pics.. although they may not show anything.

From 10/12/08

10-12-08-Profile.jpg

From tonight

1-7-09-Profile.jpg

Rear

1-7-09-Rear.jpg

Angled

1-7-09-Angled.jpg

And she held this pose for so long I thought I would take this pic of her head

1-7-09-FunkyHeadShot.jpg

Also, as I was playing with her sides her belly started to jump around. Not like she was shivering, but her belly was moving. That's the first time I've ever seen it, but she was also eating. Her belly has never done that before....

Let us know what the vet/ultrasound says. If her belly is moving around and it's not normal, it may just be a baby. Just gonna have to wait and see. Keep us up to date though.

Just to be completely honest(not trying to be harsh, just my opinion and what I see), I wouldn't hold my breath. Just looking at her stomach, I would say she is not pregnant. I mean even if a mare isn't larger in the belly when she's pregnant, they usually just have a different shape to it. I don't see that with her, it looks very tight and fit. Seeing the mares belly move is generally not a sign of pregnancy unless the mares are pretty far a long.. And even then it isn't common. Many people think that what they see is a pregnancy because they are over excited, etc. The best way to tell is like you're going to do and just get an ultrasound. If you don't there is just no way to know for sure, no guarantees. But you know what, stranger things have happened. My mare carried VERY small with her first baby, we had her ultrasounded 3x, she was pregnant(all before the fourth month of pregnancy), but when the 11month came around.. I didn't think she was pregnant neither did anyone else. She had no belly, no udder development.. But she was a maiden. You just never know.. Vet came out and palpated her and she was pregnant. Good luck with her and I hope she is pregnant!

I agree, I just see a hay baby, but hubby is excited. I'll be scheduling a trip to the clinic within the next couple weeks for the ultrasound. I was actually hoping for her not to be in foal as I was looking forward to riding her most of this year.

You never know, she may she may not be. It all depends on what the vet/ultrasound says. I really hope you get her tested, Apps, even if it's just for peace of mind. When I found out my little Drifter was N/N I was like whew! It took a lot of worry off my shoulders and now I can proudly say I know he's N/N instead of I think he is. Well, keep us all updated on her prego status and Good Luck!

Long backed maiden mare...who knows. Their belly's will move when they eat, preg or not. Best thing is to get her checked. She could be carrying high and won't drop til the last month or so.

OK, so we took Allie to the vet last night in hopes of palpation and ultrasound, but.... my vet was the only one there as the other vet got called for an emergency. My vet has arms like sides of beef so Allie didn't get felt up. She did get her shots as even he thinks she "looks" pregnant now. He also took blood for coggins and hopefully a blood pregnancy test.

I'm a little worried about what to do with her... I've read that it's normal that she'll lose weight around her ribs and that I shouldn't really increase her feed at this point. Don't get me wrong, she doesn't look rangy at all, but she definitely has less meat on her ribs and she's getting fed more than 2 months ago. She shouldn't be due until the end of March, beginning of April.

I would appreciate some advice, as like I said, this is the first baby for me.

My mares all get fed normal until the last 2 months or so of pregnancy. Then I up their hay to 24/7 access and change their feed to the reccomended amount of a mare/foal feed. Personally I like the Nutrena Vitality for mares & foals. They are putting more of themselves into making that foal and preparing their bodies for it these months, so do need more feed. As well as after foaling, being sure they have enough mare/foal feed is important to being sure they make plenty of healthy milk.

I would have the vet PALPATE before paying for an ultrasound. If he palpates and determines she is in foal, then you can ultrasound.

Good luck!

Ditto. Ultrasounds this late in the game are a waste of money IMHO. The pregnancy is too big to see anything of value. Palpation is the way to go.

As far as feeding her differently goes you have to be objective when looking at her. Are her body changes due to accommodating the pregnancy or is she truly losing body mass? I am not one to pound the feed to a broodmare towards the end. Mine are on free choice grass hay and/or pasture and whatever amount of my mixed feed they need for maintenance. (Some literally get just a taste). During the last month of pregnancy that baby is robbing her of a high percentage of the calories she takes on .. so trying to put weight on a mare heavily in foal is both useless and dangerous. You dont want that baby too big.

Edited by KarenLynn

Appsforlife - I know for a fact that the blood tests are not 100%. I board at a breeding farm and last year some people brought a mare back to be bred because the vet had taken a blood test and said that she wasn't bred. She was in a paddock between two stallions for weeks and had not come into heat. She was walking away from me one day and I could see a big shift in her belly from side to side. She was very small and did not look pg. That's why the blood test. Watch one of your other horses move away from you and then watch her. I can also bump them and tell the last couple of months. End of story, the owners were called and saw what we were talking about and took her home. 2 1/2 weeks later she had her foal, so that test is iffy.

Also, if you lay your hand flat on the widest part of her stomach part of the way down and just wait, you may feel a kick or movement. If she's due in March, you should be able to feel the movement of a foal by now. Just an observation from past experience.

shylady

Edited by shylady

We've seen movement.. that's why with all the weight shifting I'm pretty sure she's pregnant. They called back with the cost of the blood test and I'm just going to wait the 6 weeks til she's due. If the blood test would have been comprehensive and not just a preg check I would have shelled out the $$$, but it was too rich for my blood.

So I got a call from my vets office today, the blood test came back positive.. [shocked] I didn't approve the cost of the test so I called in a little upset.. my vet is such a doll though, he was like you didn't confirm so you don't have to pay. [Yay] Even though he's not my ideal vet I'm still happy with him.

Also, Allie started bagging last night. [Yay] I plan on taking pics tonight of all the critters, so hopefully I'll have pics to add to this later.

[Jump] Congrats! She is a pretty mare. I just saw this or I would have said also that the maiden mare I used to have did not look preggo till the last two months either.

Who was she bred to again?

Wasn't too sure on the prego status until I saw the udder pic!!! Yup, maiden mares like to make you wonder if the are prego or not. She looks good and I hope you get a purdy little baby, maybe one with spots! hehehe!

{{{{{HFV}}}}}

LOL, hubby and I are working on farm names right now and if this baby comes out with no spots I'm pretty sure the farm name will be SNS Farms (Still No Spots).. I'm even working on a logo [ROTFL] It's going to have a profile App with X's instead of spots.

yup, that's the stallion, I've been looking for pics of this guy for 4 months now, have asked the former owners, who also own the stud and nothing..

His other get though.. are some well put together babies. I'm hoping for something nice.. :winking: