Sign in to follow this  
foreverjumpin

Bone Chip?

Brie came in Thursday with her left hind very swollen from the hock down. I figured it was probably a kick but couldn't really tell where the actual injury was because it was so puffed up. She would stand on it and walked well, so I didn't call the vet out. I hosed it for 20 minutes.

Friday-- swelling looked better, but still definately swollen. Stood on it comfortably. Hosed it again.

Today-- swelling much, much better. Barely swollen. You can definately see where the kick was as there is now a swollen lump. She will stand on it all the time. She is off at the trot, but not lame. My trimmer came out this morning and had a **** of a time trimming that hoof. Definately hurts a lot when it is held up. He thinks it's a bone chip, so I made an appointment with my vet for Monday.

Pictures from Thursday.. they don't show the swelling too well..

2vb6agx.jpg

2rhmpfn.jpg

If you have experience with bone chips--- does this sound like one? How is it taken care of?

Edited by justjenny

I have no experience with bone chips. Have you spoke with your vet? I can call my vet about the craziest things, and he will help me trouble shot it, and determine if he needs to come for a visit.

I haven't spoken with him. He is part of a large vets office and he is very popular. They don't give out his number... you can only speak with a receptionist. It's a pain.. but he is an excellent vet.

The only way that I know of to remove bone chips is to go in surgically. There used to be a mare out where I board. One night during a lighting storm she spooked and slammed into the fence. She ended up with a scratch on her cheek so her owner thought and went on vacation..

While on vacation, her mare's cheek swelled with puss. I ended up hotpacking twice a day and flushed it, it would go down and come right back. About the 3rd day of constant draining of pus and getting no where, we called the vet out. He did xrays and realized she had bone chips. She was sedated and he removed 5 BONE CHIPS from just a small area. ---So yes it can happen. Just suggest that the vet does xray of the leg to make sure. Good Luck [smiley Wavey]

I haven't spoken with him. He is part of a large vets office and he is very popular. They don't give out his number... you can only speak with a receptionist. It's a pain.. but he is an excellent vet.

My vet is the same way and I HATE THIS! I hate not being able to talk one-on-one with my vet. Guess it comes with a high demand practice.

Good job on calling the vet. What did he say?