Skippen

How Many "missourians" Are Out There?

Pal, hope your move was uneventful, no problems. Congrats on the promotion, btw!!! Will you keep your place here or planning on selling? Are you planning on taking your horses?

Move was more or less uneventful. It's just a long way up here...about 6 hours.

We were renting and the house is already sold (our friend's hired hand bought it). Colormeahorse is staying in MO with our friend for a while. They moved (or are going to move) the horses out to her house. When she moves up here we'll bring them up here. Right now I have an open invitation to go ride at a couple of my employee's places (most of them own horses). I'll have to borrow a saddle, because I didn't even bring one with me, because I didn't even think about needing one. LOL I'm also trying to talk my wife and our friend into coming up here and trail riding some weekend before it gets too cold. There is a big city park in PDC that has horse camping and trails.

That's nice that you already have someone to ride with! Maybe if colormea comes soon, she can bring your saddle.

We rode for a little while on Sunday. But the neighbor had a sign up saying no horses until after the first of the year. They deer hunt. OK with me, they let us ride for the other 9 months of the year. Little bit of a bummer tho because of the nice weather!

Have plans to ride tomorrow. Hope we get to!

Got the check from insurance company for the truck. Going to Columbia this morning to look at getting another one.

Didn't get to ride today. Oh well. I needed the nap, LOL!

We have a truck again! Hubby picked out a 2004 Ford 3/4 ton, 4x4, extended cab and long bed. Told him he has to get running boards for it. I can hardly get in it! LOL

Hi Missourians, As many of you know, I live in southern Oklahoma where we have been in the worst drought in a century and it is not over yet. We are about 20 inches below normal for rainfall and the outlook is for a drier than average winter. There is no end in sight.

So--- we are looking for more hay to haul in this fall. Missouri is the closest place we know where there is any. We need big round bales preferably NOT Fescue or Johnson grass. We are looking for someone now to haul it by the semi load and hope to have someone located this week.

If anyone can put us in touch with any farmers that will sell hay and not price gouge on it, we would like to buy direct from the grower. All of the hay ads we are finding are dealers and brokers trying to get rich off of the

drought. They are not putting in a dime of their money and trying to make $50.00 a ton off of it.

We are not looking for what most horse people call 'good' hay. We have mature horses that get along great on mature hay that you could not feed to stalled horses. If we get hay that is 'too good', we cannot 'free choice' it and we have too many horses to hand feed them. So hay that is mature, stemmy or hay with some weeds or brush in it works fine for us. It goes in round bale feeders out in big pastures.

If you know of any growers, you can e-mail or PM me. You can e-mail me at wolfeden@brightok.net

Edited by Cheri Wolfe

We are back home! Spent a few days in Alabama visiting friends. Got home about 9:00 last night. Hubby and I drove to Stone Mountain, GA on Saturday. He's been wanting to see it so figured since we were that close, we would go. We actually walked to the top! I didn't think we would every get to the top! Will work on pics later. Too tired to deal with them now, LOL.

Justme, glad you enjoyed your trip to stone mtn. I used to live bout an hour from there and worked all around it. You ought to see the 4th of July bash they put on there.

Well, our 2 original girls have turned into 6 horses. Three QH's, two app mixes and a quarter? pony. Or, at least I think he's pony size. But, he has the heart of a clydesdale. Plus, sons foal coming, and wifes die in early summer. So, I gotta get a well, and some grass growing. Hope to get a ride in this weekend while I'm home. I miss my horses and farm while on the road. I'll be glad when I can find a local job and actually have a life!

CD, are you OTR driver? Do you get to be home every weekend?I'm not doing much riding now. My riding partner had surgery about 2 weeks so she won't be able to ride for awhile.

:smileywavey: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Have a great and safe Holiday.

Going to try to get in a short ride today after dinner. Colton will be going to his other grandma's later so it will be a good time to ride. The weather is great, a little breezy, but temps are fairly warm.

Not much activity on here lately. With winter coming I suppose it will pick up.

Hi everyone! I am new to Missouri. Oiginally from Metro Detroit and relocated to Joplin MO in 2010. I bought my first horse last week and have been getting to know the horse community online and in Missouri. I have a beautiful red dun gelding QH. I am boarding him close to my home.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday today!

Hi everyone! I am new to Missouri. Oiginally from Metro Detroit and relocated to Joplin MO in 2010. I bought my first horse last week and have been getting to know the horse community online and in Missouri. I have a beautiful red dun gelding QH. I am boarding him close to my home.

I hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday today!

Welcome!

You are just down I-44 from me, I live in Springfield. Did you make it through the tornado? I hope you didn't have any damage. How exciting to have your first horse, do you compete or pleasure ride? Please post pics.

Welcome!

You are just down I-44 from me, I live in Springfield. Did you make it through the tornado? I hope you didn't have any damage. How exciting to have your first horse, do you compete or pleasure ride? Please post pics.

Hi SW MO Girl! No, we live further north of where the tornado did the most damage. We did not even suffer wind damage to our trees. We were blessed in that regard. Sam will be my pleasure horse, although, I have been told that his breeding could enable him to be a really good western competing horse. If, in a year or two we are feeling our oats, I may consider learning more about competing in Western Pleasure. I keep that open since we have a long way to go, but as we grow together that may become doable.

I'll have to figure out how to upload photos. I tried to attach an image but I am getting a global upload quota error.

Do you compete?

I'm glad you didn't suffer any damage, we had debris in our yard. I just pleasure ride, I would like to haul one of them somewhere to ride, but I can't take one away from the other because they are so buddy sour. Boarding your horse must sure help out, knowing they're cared for even if you can't be there. My life revolves around being home to feed. My husband helps out when he's home and I'm at work( i.e. throws hay over the fence). I have been thinking about getting a little donkey, but I'm just trying to keep hay for the two I have, much less having another mouth to feed. Since we had such a dry summer, it's tough getting decent hay around here at a fair price. Keep us posted on the Western Pleasure progress.

Howdee all! :smileywavey: Hope everyone's haveing a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend and getting in some riding with this loverly Indian Summer we're having. I got in a ride yesterday and hopeint to get another one in Sunday after church.

We'll have to do a better job of scheduling a MOBB trail ride next year. Maybe the summer won't be so hot and not too rainy.

Gah,, I hate this laptop...4th time I've tried to post on this thread and I keep losing it. Anyway...

Haven't been able to post for awhile because of said laptop. Had to replace the power cord and just got it.

Welcome AQHA Sam! :smileywavey:

We picked up 3 round bales yesterday. Planning on getting 3 more this weekend. Been feeding squares until we could get the rounds. Feeding the rounds is so much easier, LOL! I also moved the water tank closer to the hay. Last year Buddy didn't drink enough water and was on the verge of colic. So I moved the tank closer and made sure he was drinking. So hoping by moving it now he will keep drinking.

What's up with everyone else???

Edited by Just Me

Thank you Just Me! I went to Ponderosa yesterday with a friend and rode the trails. It is located in Pineville and you need part Billy Goat on some of the inclines and descents. My 4yo QH did wonderfully. I think I will give some strong thought to pursuing competitive trail riding with this boy.

This was my 2nd visit with him and his third or fourth visit. Twice on a steep downhill he gave me a start, but he is about as surefooted as they come. Naturally turns himself and places his hooves with confidence. Although at the bottom of one hill I think he thought HOLY CARP that was SCARY. Or maybe I was projecting onto him. :winking:

That's about it for us.

Hey all! Miss all of you. Hope everyone is having a safe and wonderful holidays. I've been riding nearly everyday and have picked up a horse to train and giving lessons for some side money :).

Hey Midmo!!! :smileywavey: Hope you are doing well. Awesome that you are able to do so much riding. My riding partner recently had surgery and will be getting radiation treatments. So, we won't be riding for awhile. Hoping we will be riding soon.

Sam, I always thought the competitive trail riding would be fun. Kinda wish I had given it a try. Not sure I want to do it now, LOL.

Hi AQHASam! I'm not far from you, I'm in the Springfield area. I'm pretty active on the local show circuits, if you ever want to give the western pleasure thing a try I could probably help you out with that :)

Not doing too well right now mentally or physically. Have some terrible decisions to make. If any one knows of a loving home for Beauty my Tennessee Walker please

send me a message . robertbel2@yahoo.com

I'm sorry to hear you're not well; I wondered why there haven't been any posts from you lately. I always enjoyed reading about the antics of your animals. Please keep us informed on how things are.

My husband and I want to be (we have a place back there) but we can't move because we haven't sold our place in Tucson yet.

Bah humbug

I'm sorry to hear you're not well; I wondered why there haven't been any posts from you lately. I always enjoyed reading about the antics of your animals. Please keep us informed on how things are.

:huggy: Robert. I"m not a Missouri person but I loved coming in here reading your antics with the horses. I hope that something turns around for you and things start looking up with the new year.

Hey Robert ... I also enjoy coming in here and checking up on you and your animals [ kids ], laughing with you and also crying for your Dane and you. I hope things will turn for the better quickly and things are not as tough as they seem.

Merry Christmas, MOBB and families! Hope everyone is in good health. We're doing well here, shaggy horses standing around the big round bale. I spent the day cleaning stalls since Jayme was with her dad.

Deb