Skippen

How Many "missourians" Are Out There?

Hello Just Me and thank you. Everyone on here is so nice i am happy i joined. I am from High Ridge currently but moving soon. Not sure if anyone is that close to me. I would love to move further out in the country. But my main family are here. I also have family in Cuba MO and Dexter mo. I Love going out there it is just so peaceful

Hello Just Me and thank you. Everyone on here is so nice i am happy i joined. I am from High Ridge currently but moving soon. Not sure if anyone is that close to me. I would love to move further out in the country. But my main family are here. I also have family in Cuba MO and Dexter mo. I Love going out there it is just so peaceful

Robert, I am by not means a vet nor do I play one on tv. But in my experience with them, ABX are a bad idea to give, they will prolong the abcess by keeping it at bay. To blow it has to fester. My mare had one once and it took her 3 weeks to blow it. She was 3 legged lame for 3 weeks, then one day she was running around hte pasture like nothing happened.

Ranger, where are you moving to? I have family in Steelville, not that far from Cuba!

rob, how is Sunora doing?

We are moving to Dittmer. (fingers crossed the house dont fall through) it is on 10 acres. We r out there the most bc we own a lake lot in woodland lakes. So its not that far from my uncle and cousins. If my husbands business wasnt here we would move further. We both love the peacefull country setting. I would love to walk my horse into town and not ger funny looks lol.

Robert, I am by not means a vet nor do I play one on tv. But in my experience with them, ABX are a bad idea to give, they will prolong the abcess by keeping it at bay. To blow it has to fester. My mare had one once and it took her 3 weeks to blow it. She was 3 legged lame for 3 weeks, then one day she was running around hte pasture like nothing happened.

Journey you know how I luv ya and respect you very much. BUT I am going to disagree with you on this and will tell you why and I hope you use this info when you make that decision again. First I gave up on the vets as her leg was now swelling big time from the coronet all the way just below the knee and I mean big time and this is with the 20cc of penicillin daily. Found an expert advice blog and found that for a horse Sunora's size she should be getting 33-35 cc of penicllin not daily but 2x a day. No wonder there was no sign of swelling going down just geting worse. If any thing that small amount was enough to let the bacteria build up an immunity. Now for the first time when I went out in the wee hours of the morning and threw some hay Sunora stood on her bad foot while she ate and this is the first time since the injury.

Now here is why I disagree Journey. Had a friend get on video chat very upset about me and SUnora and worried to death. She proceeded to tell me to get her on an antibiotic immediately. She then told me why. She was told to let the abscess take its path on her horse by well meaning friends so she did. Then as the horse became more lame each day she finally couldn't stand it any more and called in her Equine vet thirty miles away. When the vet x-rayed the hoof he told her she almost lost her horse that the abscess had almost worked its way into the coffin bone and if it had they would have had to put the horse down with no hope. You ask most vets and they will tell you they haven't even heard of an abscess getting into the coffin bone. So my conclusion is the Equine medical community isn't as far along on hoof medical knowledge of the hoof as they need to be. I am finally seeing a change and hopefully swelling in the leg and infection will now start to get under control. If in three more days I do not see even more improvement I am having the University come out and take an x-ray and hope that it will show some thing. They told me last time that you can't depend on an x-ray to show a pocket of infection even. Some times it does but more often it won't. SO unless it has to do with a fracture or the bones it may not tell you a thing. Grrrr. lol.

Thanks for asking JustMe. Hope things slow down around here as I have went through two tanks of gas running to stores getting things for Sunora and taking to vets to get opinions. Dang gas is messing up my budget. lol.

@robert . I hope everything gets better for her. I cant imagine what u r going through.

I have a question for everyone. I have been doing ground work with ranger and he is doing amazing. I am so proud of him. Anyway i kniw they need to be able to frex from side to side and he has no problems with that and he grazez fine but when i went to have him flex down and back(head between front legs not fully though) he couldnt do it. I do not use treats much even though he loves them he wouldnt even do it for an apple. I have watched him itch his knee before so i know he can get there. Is this something i should be worried about. If not what type of workout(ground) can i use to help loosen him up.

Ranger: Sometime they have to stretch out to that kind of a flex. Try making him touch his chest with his nose. If that causes him pain or he can't do it, it might be a problem in his poll. Sometimes they need to be aligned and you might need to have a vet with chiropratic experience check him out. Some horses that have been malnurished are out of alignment and some vets are taught to do chiropratic alignments on horses. Some use their hands, others use acupuncture (with small electric charge), and others use both.

To have him flex lower, try having him place his front feet out farther in front of him then when he's standing squared up. Then entice him with the treat between his front legs. This is also how I've seen horses trained to 'bow' as a trick.

That is where i got the treat idea lol. He just stepped back. He does not have patience he gjves up if he dont get the treat but on the sides he can touch his chest just not straight down. If that makes sence. It does nit seem to hurt him. The vet comes out next week for shots i will ask him to check him out. If the treat does not work or if nobody has never had him flex bedore is there a way i can work with him on it? Like a different exercize. He is loose and flexable except the one thing.

Flexing to his shoulders is a different area. He needs to be able to flex to the center of his chest as well. I think that's a poll problem. I would suggest having your vet check him over and see if it is a poll problem and if he has any other spots that might need to be aligned.

went out to see ranger todat and was shocked at what i found. He is gainning weight and has changed so much in a week. I took some pics and i know he is still skinny but he has put weight on and i am looking at that as possitive.

post-59472-0-07851300-1334804928_thumb.jpg

the computer will only let me do the one pic but at least it shows him lol

He does look better!!! With that full on side shot, I can see that he does have a rather step shoulder. It's not too steep, but it could contribute to the choppy trot. I'm sure once he gets to a really good weight and gets some muscle back on he'll look awesome!

Edited by SpiffyGrl

Ya you cant see it in this pic but he still has some rib showing but he is getting muscle on gis shoulders and legs really good. Also his neck is filling out my husband thought i git the wrong horse bc he is looking so much better. It is a slow process but i dont want it to go to fast and be unhealthy. His hips are still a little pointy also. We have a mo fox trotter at the barn that has been trying put weight on for a year he looks good but the owner is upset bc Ranger is gaining in only a few months. We decided to take him off the equine sr bc he already has a lot of energy and that is just giving him more and making him hot. So holefully he will calm down a little. When he gets to full weight and holds it he will be going if to a trainner.

rob, how's Sunora doing tonight? Can you tell if she's any better/worse? Got to be so frustrating for you.

Still limbing around but can lope if she wants too. I can put pressure any where on the frog and she doesn't flinch. Sooooo where is the

darn abscess if there is one? :rotf: Right now soaking in a huge bag of water and Epson Salt and giving her Broad Spectrum

Prim for the antibiotic. Also give a shot of Banimine once a day for pain. Bought a 50 lb. of Biotin 100% and a bag of oats to mix it with. Going to keep on all the time since Sunora's hoofs don't stay as healthy as they should. Oh I also am put Freeze Gel on the leg from knee to the coronet band every day just for grins to help the swelling and pain. Darn Comanche every time I feed Sunora the antibiotic in feed I have to battle Comanche. I mean I smack with the lead I have on Sunora and he still comes back. When it comes to food he just doesn't give up the big pig.:duh: If there is an abscess sure wish it would show its ugly self soon. If there even is an abscess. I have been told I dont have to have a puncture to have the abscess so I am watching and waiting for it to

show. Oh I am also putting on NO Thrush powder in case she does have thursh. Met a genuine Equine Podiatrist thrugh a friend on Face Book and she told me to buy Clean Trax and put on her hoof. I went all over online to get the best price and found it for

$16.99 verses $20-$25. SOooo I ordered the stuff only when it finshed at check out they had charged me $18 for shipping a very small dinky bottle. I have been had.:rotf: There are probably other stores where the price is higher but maybe had free shipping.:bang_head: I always say live and learn.

Well I am mailing back the Trail Easy Boots don't like the fit. Easy Care is going to mail me a sizing kit for $8.50 of three sizes of boots to see the exact size boot for her. Valley Vet said to mail their's back and they would put a note on my record then allow me to order Easy Boot Glove at the sale price. Couldn't believe they are doing that for me.:yahoo: Sooooooooo when I get my lame horse over this nonsense and finally get my Glove boots I am going to be sooo ready for a long trail ride with friends. lol.

It is killing me to not be able to ride now. I put a snaffle on Comanche and made him do some walking only the head strong independent ornery good for nothing Leopard want to at lest trot and I won't do that till he has more girth and size to him. He is going to be a handful to train I can see that already the ornery knot head. lol. Soooo it every one going to be ready to hit the

TRAIL IN A FEW WEEKS OR MONTH TOPS? :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Ranger Girl he is looking much better with more weight. Hang in there.

Doc!! Good to "see" you! I was just thinking about you yesterday!

She looks great! Wow, that year went by fast. What are your plans for her?

Robert, I respect you disagreeing. Don't be surprised if once you stop the abx and banamine she gets worse again. Now, I will say that movement is the best way to get an abcess to blow. I to have hears of them getting into the bone and causing huge issues. But that is rare. I've got my fingers crossed that she either pops the abcess or absorbs it soon so you can get back to riding her. Oh, with all the different meds and such you are giving her now are you feeding a probiotic to help her stomach?

Robert, I respect you disagreeing. Don't be surprised if once you stop the abx and banamine she gets worse again. Now, I will say that movement is the best way to get an abcess to blow. I to have hears of them getting into the bone and causing huge issues. But that is rare. I've got my fingers crossed that she either pops the abcess or absorbs it soon so you can get back to riding her. Oh, with all the different meds and such you are giving her now are you feeding a probiotic to help her stomach?

My link

Hi journey. Well I talked to the Equine Podiatrist and we are going to treat it as a fungi which makes more sense to me. At this point I worked the hoof over since the farrier

didn't and today soaked in Clean Trax for one hour. Wow!!!!!!!!!!! I see now why I was told to be sure and wrap the top of the boot soak. The fumes are deadly. lol. Had no idea they woud be so potent. Reminded me of the time I mixed bleach with some thing to clean in the kitchen and ended up opening windows and doors and turning on fans it was so potent. Put the dogs in the bed room and closed the doors. Even with a bandanna on I couldn't breathe and my lungs bothered me for two weeks.:rotf:

Any way this stuff does not affect the good tissue like the toxic bleach or other remedies. I had used Koppertox before and that stuff dries the frog up big time. The Podiatrist wants me to do it one more time in two weeks. It was hilarious but not. I didn't want to wait till Tuesday before I could use Pay Pal so took a large dog food bag that is insulated on the inside to keep moisture and air out. Waited till in the barn to pour the gallon of water in then poured the powder of the Clean Trax in. All of a sudden a seam started leaking the water out.:bang_head: Hey this was suppose to be air tight darn it. lol. I grabbed a huge clean bucket and sit the bag in it squeezing the top shut so I could breathe. Put Sunora's foot in it and boy did she surprise me. Stood there for one hour not making a move for me. I was proud of my stinker. Poured the remaining solution into the horse trailer to kill any spoores living on the mats. Podiatrist thinks the spoores are in the hay in the barn on the floor where they are peeing and pooping. Suggested that I put rock down then mats which would make the cleaning much easier. Believe I well.

journey it is funny how the tenderness has moved from the frog not to the back of the bulbs and even then she barely flinches if pressed on. The area has turned white like the frog had been. So guess it is gradually healing up. No sign of an abscess blowing the only thing remotely resembling a blown abscess is at the coronet band in the middle in front there is a bare spot a little puffy. That was the last place Sunora had an abscess blow but it didn't look like this. Guess time will tell. I have cut out pain shots and am giving her biotin in her feed and plan to make it a permanent thing as she has always had trouble with cracking hoofs.

Been messing with ornery Comanche setting on him bare back and doing a little walking and turning teaching neck rein at the same time. He is a stubborn little cuss some times but have learned more sensitive I am the better he does. He isn't one to

get in a contest of wills.:rotf:

Just checking in to let everyone know that I'm still alive. Alot has been going on the last couple of months. Still loving my job and getting seettled in up here in NE IA. I've only been back to MO for a couple of short visits for court as Colormeahorse and I are getting a divorce.

Edited to say: settled not seettled.

Edited by palomino_overo

That sucks Pali. I'm sorry. :huggy:

Thought you knew that from FB...She decided that she liked being apart from me better than being together. We're still best friends just not married.

No. :( Didn't see it on your's or her's. I may have just missed it though. At least you guys are still friends, that's the important thing. :huggy:

Anyone want a Fly bonnet for your pony(ies) to wear while you ride?????

HGFlyBonnet.jpg

I'm making one for each of mine! I can get 2 fly bonnets out of a skien of yarn. Probably won't have any purple, as I have to make another for Spiffy since I messed the 1st one up, but I can probably make 1 more Hunter Green, 1 more darkish blue (after I make Dude's), and 2 Black ones.

Ok peoples ...got my tickets!:yahoo: I'll be in the great state of Misery from July 12th to July 25th when I get booted out..

I'll be staying with my sisters, both in High Ridge and probably head down to the family property between Steelvile and Cherryville (Cuba/Sullivan/Rolla area) sometime. Have nieces in Festas and Mom and Dad are in Oakville by Arnold.

Looking forward to seeing some of you!:smileywavey:

AD

That's awesome Alaska!!! Spiffy's baby will be here and old enough to play with by then! You MUST come see us!

AD, I can't believe you know about Cherryville! My grandparents lived in Cook Station. My brothers and I still own the house. And one of my brothers lives just outside of Steelville. If you are going to see Spiffy, I'm right on the way! Another MOBB meeting!

Edited by Just Me