Sign in to follow this  
Charmain_Vaughn

Skeleton Of A Horse

Thanks Char ... that is very cool.

BUT ..... those charts don't have HALF of the 'points' that Bumper's confo guru speaks of (sorry ... can't recall her name and too lazy to look it up).

I'm still trying to put together the point of croup and point of hip and some other stuff I glanced over that didn't immediately put a picture in my mind.

Though, looking at the internal organ chart ... that may be due to my own sheer ignorance. ALWAYS a chance of that!

I love that the cannon bone is only on the front in the Skeletal diagram ... it's a metatarsus when it's behind. New one on me. Yay!

I'll still call it a hind cannon though ... real likely.

:happy0203:

The point of hip- where the hip bones stick out on either side of the horse- I find it helpful to do comparative anatomy here. Put your hands on your hips and you have located your "points of hip" transfer that idea to the horse- the points of the hips are where the hip bones jut out on either side.

The point of the croup as I understand that is the peak of the hind end- the horse's pelvis, basically, has points the jut upward along the spine, and usually are located at the highest point of the horse's hind end. Sometimes referred to as the SI or Sacro-Iliac joint.

The point of the buttock- the farthest back point of the horse's rear end, located under the tail if you're looking from the side. Where the pelvis and femur meet, basically.

Point of shoulder- where the scapula and humerus meet.

Thanks GT. Since learning in 4H as a child, 'the croup' and 'the loin' have always been one of those 'stop and think about it' things.

Thank you for clarifying the POC for me!