historyrider

Posts That Disappear For No Reason?

Okay everyone.

I am having a really annoying problem with posting on the forum and no one at HC ever responsed when I ask if I am the only one so;

I enter posts quite regularly on the training forum. It's getting nearly 50 percent of the time, ESPECIALLY on my home computer, they are not there the next time I log on. Now I have been getting really cautious lately and will save long posts before I hit the save button. I am careful to log out and even go back without logging in and see if they are still there. They always are, at the moment I check but the next morning or hours later, they are just gone.

I don't know about everyone but I participate on the boards for fun but I put a good deal of time and consideration into everything I write. It's getting infuriating to come back and find that a recent contribution of mine simply does not exist any longer.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only person having this problem and I want to start a thread to discuss the matter.

Perhaps I have a virus that is being screened or an older version of some kind of software??? I don't know but I want to figure this out.

Thank you to anyone who offers anything on this subject.

William (historyrider)

William, I've had it happen to me a couple times, and I'm not sure why it happens. I wish I could help you, but I don't have the authority to look into it for you. I will make admin aware of this post.

I always read your replies, because quite often we are on the same page with our answers. Let me see what can be done. :happy0203:

Char,

No, I never received anything from you and honestly I thought that perhaps I was the only one with this issue and you thought I was "crazy?" It really makes no sense. They are there on the forum, I can log out and look back and yes, they are usually still there. Then the next day as I'm rereading the posts my response is just missing. A couple of times someone else has quoted what I said from the missing post and that still appears in their offering, but the original is gone?

Any insights, suggestions or possible causes for this would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks Mudder and Char for any help.

William (historyrider)

No, William, you aren't the only one with that problem. I've "lost" many a post on GCC and the debate board, and, having been a mod for years, I KNOW they were not out of line.

Oz is right. It does happen and it's frustrating as can be! I guess my email to you went the same way! [shocked]

Basically I said when you type out a long post or response - type it in another program (like Word or whatever you have) then copy and paste it in the response window. That way... if something does happen to it you have your original version to repost. It's a pain in the patootie but that's the best advice I can give you.

I "WISH" I had a more concrete solution for you William. Nobody on the tech side has been able to duplicate this so we can get a handle on 'why'.

I know it's frustrating. I'm sorry I can't help.

char

P.S. Have you seen this! [Jump]

My response to Char just disappeared in the last 10 minutes. Oh bother.

Char,

Thank you for that and for posting the link to that story. My friend Maria told me that she was writing something about me but I did not know that Horsecity had picked it up and used it. That was really sweet of her to write but I suspect she is trying to poke me in the ribs for being so obsessed about the horses. My time management skills are quite terrible. Spending so much time on the boards I'm sure is part of that as well. That is why I try and confine myself to the training forum. If I started trying to keep up with the General topics or the debate board I doubt I would ever get anything done.

OOPS! No it didn't?? Now that's just weird. Well now I like what I wrote the second time better so I will delete the first response myself.

William (historyrider)

Edited by historyrider

Ok I'm going to try this again :( I just joined yesterday and so far less than HALF of my posts are NOT showing up!!!! I tried to repost my posts just a bit ago and they didn't show up!! This is beyond frustrating :(

Well I see it this time, for now at least SMkymtndawn. Welcome to the board! I have taken Char's advice to heart and if I am working on something long, I type it in another program or Copy and Paste it to notepad or something to save a copy before I post it.

I do hope the I.T. folks figure this out soon.

William (historyrider)

It happened to me earlier this week and I posted another.

Then Megs asked me why my alter ego was posting posts as well.

I looked and both responses were suddenly there.

So, I deleted the lesser of the best of the two.

Are you using Firefox by any chance William?

I find I have more trouble if I use than than if I use Windows Internet explorer.

This has just been insane since yesterday. I think I must be using some kind of bogus internet application at home because I have cut and pasted 3 different posts, including this one, at least 5 times each since last night and first thing this morning.

I can put them up, log out and then take a peek while logged out and they are there. I come back later and they are gone. I just can't understand what my computer has to do with it if I post, log off and THEN they delete on their own???

Very frustrating.

William (historyrider)

Today I found an old version of Netscape on this computer. I'm going to try to copy and paste those other two posts back up and see if they stick this time.

Wish me luck.

William (historyrider)

PS. Thank you for that suggestion Manes, I think you may be correct. I recall thanking you in at least one of my earlier attempts to post but obviously that version didn't make it.

I don't know how I got here. I am brand new here, I am stumbling my way around, but I have found this very helpful. I had one post disappear on me today and I just knew it had to be me..lol But I see there is a chance that I did do something right! Now I am going to work on the picture thing.

Just an update. It still happens that my posts dissappear sometimes right after I post them, other times over night. The other interesting thing that happened over the weekend is that my password has gotten corrupted. I was logged on and posting. I logged off to check to see if my offerings were still there and I noticed that my username still appeared on the list of logged on users while my screen displayed that I was logged out. I saw one of my posts was missing so I went to log back in and put it back but my password was now invalid. Can two people be logged on using the same account at the same time? So? I am led to believe I might have a computer savy adversary on line who might be able to get my password and is having a bit of fun with me. I reset my password of course so we will see.

Oh if computers only had reins.

William (historyrider)

Guest cowboy1980

Interesting. I am brand new. I had three posts disappear while reading through and sending suggestions out in the Trading Post and General Chit Chat. I also expereinced the password problem, but what I did was automatically revert to my original password that I signed up with and entered. Just some quirkey thing I guess. I am with SmokeyMtnDawn on this. New to the system. Bugs.

Have you defragmented your computer and swept it for viruses and trojan ecryptions that effect your incoming and out going internet services? Has your computer been running slowwer than usual?

Guest cowboy1980

So I've been informed that forums are controlled by administrators that have edit power. The other night at like 3 in the morning, I was writing a long repsonse to a leatherworks question and when i finished and posted it appeared briefly and then poof! Crazy!

I've had the same thing happen to me several times. My post #'s are like half of what they were 6 months ago. It's frustrating to say the least!