Sign in to follow this  
quarterflash

'funds Availabe To Study Effects Of Horses On Humans

OK ... thousands of starving horses. Rescues filled to the max. All sorts of bizarro legislation that needs to be fought, and some Rocket Scientist offers FUNDING on how horses affect people?

Are we a species of idiot?

OK ... thousands of starving horses. Rescues filled to the max. All sorts of bizarro legislation that needs to be fought, and some Rocket Scientist offers FUNDING on how horses affect people?

Are we a species of idiot?

HEY! I want someone to pay ME to figure that out ...

Where do I sign up?

Perhaps it is a funded study conducted to show positive influence, improvement and recovery of various medical, physical and mental conditions with patients who are able to have hippotherapy vs patients who do not.

Otherwise, yeah. Give me money. I'll tell them keeping horses keeps me sane. See? Positive effect. To be more specific about the effects of horses on humans: my toes flatten when she steps on me and my linguistic skills multiply in content, creative use and volume. I guess that could be another positive effect. Okay. Where's my money?

Exactly what I thought:

The Horses and Humans Research Foundation (HHRF) is inviting proposals for studies to investigate the therapeutic effects of horses on humans. The Foundation's broad research agenda includes basic research, as well as clinical studies that will ultimately impact physical and mental health and the quality of life for people with disabilities who are involved with equine assisted activities/therapies.

Perhaps this can be a good thing for the horses in need, if they can be shunted sideways into hippotherapy programs all across the country so it can be much more readily accessible to people in need of horse therapy. Theraputic riding centers at every major city and most smaller areas, too. It could spawn a new business to bill the Insurance Companies? Yeah, I'd like to bill Blue Cross Blue Shield for restitution of my horse expenses, please.

Edited by Heidi n Q

I think another thing to consider is that if you want to get insurance to help with various therapies, there has to be some solid, quantifiable evidence that it works.

It may seem like common sense to you or me, but to insurance companies or the government? Not so much. When benefits can be solidly shown, it's much easier to get kids into programs like that :)

Just glancing over the top of it, Manes. Sadly ... that's my MO.

I'd think, however, that TH is established enough to establish valid documentation regarding the program and it's effects NOW. With out throwing money at a STUDY for an established program, why can't the money be used for PUTTING A REALISTIC VOICE FOR THE HORSE within earshot of our legislators?

Hmmm?

Claire McCaskill, MY legislator, will hear NONE of the icky horse slaughter talk. Do you suppose PETA paid somebody to throw a luncheon and show a kill floor film to her? I do.

Helping her to UNSEE that and see a more humane way is going to be tough and expensive.