Sign in to follow this  
CowgirlRanchHand03

Horse Behavior Project!

Hi,

I'm doing an animal behavior project for my college Biology class. This involves plainly obserbing my horse with no human contact for one month, roughly 15 minutes a day at different times. I'll be doing other research as to why horses do what they do, but i'd be open to what everyone has to say about the subject. So why do horses do what they do while not with thier owners? You can list off behaviors and reasons...even if you only have one thing to share.

I hope you understand what i'm saying and asking. I won't be insulted if noone replys. lol. Thanks CRH03

My new mare does something very ODD.

I got her the first week of September. Every morning, right at dawn, we can see her pacing up/down along the southern fence-line. She walks back/forth staring South. She still does it, because I was up at dawn one morning last week and saw her doing it. She has worn a grass-less path along that portion of the fence. Sometimes she walks from end to end of the fenceline, other times she will stop and turn midway along the fence. Sometimes she paws at the ground, but her attention is always South.

(she was delivered from a place North of me, but she did live most of her life in Florida, which of course, is South.)

There is a thin treeline about 150' away and the property on the other side of the treeline has a large shed with a dogrun attatched for their 5 mop-dogs. Llasas or shitzus? I have never seen/heard any activity over there, so I am not sure what the attraction is for her.

The mare I had before her would eat her 'breakfast' and then lay down in the lee of the barn (to block the wind) and soak up the warm sunshine. She would lay flat for about an hour. Always in the same spot, always w/in a half hour of eating her morning pellets.

kq.jpg

How many other horses are kept within about a mile south of you? Horses can scent each other for about a mile away.

For a short time last summer two horses were kept 1 mile away, but they were moved before my new mare arrived. Only cattle, now. By driving the few roads around me, I think the closest horse is at least 2mi North-East as the crow flies. 2 more about 3.5-4mi North-West, probably 3mi as the crow flies.

Our wind usually comes from North-East to South-West. Sometimes summer storms blow up from the South, but that is only in the warmer weather.

h

Robert Vavra wrote a book called Such is the Real Nature of Horses. He observed horses in the wild & interpets their behavior complete with pictures. You can relate alot of domestic horses behaviors to this. Lots of neat pictures. Am sure their are other books that go into equine behavior. All horses have their own behaviors unique to them but most are based natural instinct.

We had a book called "Thinking with Horses" by Henry Blake for one of my classes last year... its a really easy read, and its really interesting. Its just about their general behavior and how this guy thinks it all works, and he takes what he observes and applies it to his training methods. (If i remember it all right lol)

Here it is on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Horses-Henr...2640&sr=8-1