Sign in to follow this  
jackie2925

Question Regarding Gracie

Can horses be like people and have slow and fast metabolisms? Gracie is almost 3 but dang she is so petite, but she is hancock blood and they are usually thick build type of horses.

She just came back from a trainer for 30 days and I provided all of the feed and hay while she was there and she literally went through 12-15 square bales of hay along with 2 bags of TC growth, rice bran and beet pulp and she's still slim.

What else can I do to bulk her up some. I've thought of weight builder supplements but geez I just need some suggestions.

She is still growing. She won't get her full mature looking body till she is 4-5 yrs old.

As long as you are feeding her enough for the work that she does, she should be fine.

eta- she looks good in all of the pics you post.

Edited by BB Blue

Even the trainer feels that she needs to increase in her weight. We normally give 1 scoop of TC growth twice a day along with 2 flakes of hay twice a day and thats what we have always done.

The trainer added the rice bran and the beet pulp along with a lot more hay and she hasn't gained any weight that I can see. Now I know she was being worked but the trainer didn't work her hard...more than just walking around the pasture but she didn't even work her until she was sweaty except once.

She did tell me that Gracie is a high anxiety type of horse. That you can't push her or she will mentally freeze up...if you go slow and let her think about it the she doens't get stressed or pissed.

Which is so true...Gracie also has this little "tick" thing that is her bad habit....When she gets frustrated she will lower her head and make circles with it.

So knowing all of this I do need to add some weight to her. I noticed Friday that when the light hit her just right I could the outline of her ribs and I don't like that....so I'm looking for some supplements or something that I can do to quickly add some extra weight. I don't really care for the oil supplement so I would like some other suggestions.

I know she's still growing but Bisuit our gelding was thicker than Gracie when he was 2, a lot. And he's nothing special in bloodlines.

Edited by jackie2925

Horses do grow and mature at different rates. Some will look slimmer than others. The two foals I had were like that. The colt never looked chunky but the filly always did.

Have you had her teeth checked lately? Sounds to me like she is getting plenty of feed. Maybe up her hay some. Also, what kind of hay are you feeding her?

She also may be in a growth spurt right now which is why you see a hint of ribs. Is she looking butt high?

Don't be quite so worried, if she is acting normal, she should catch up her weight come spring.

eta - to answer your question - Yes. Horses do have different metabolisms. Which is why you can have two horses on the same pasture and one will look normal and the other will be obese or too thin.

For example - Bandit, the gray, gets twice as much feed as Blue, my appy.

Edited by BB Blue

If you are really concerned, have a vet out to evaluate her. She's young and has plenty of time to grow yet. If she looked like that at 5 years of age, I'd think you had a problem. That 4 y/o year is when they really pack it on if they are going to.

Examples of what I mean-

Chicky at 2yrs old -

Chicky2Sept06.jpg

Chicky at 3yrs old- May 2007

ChickyMay2007.jpg

Little at 2yrs old -

Little2Sept06.jpg

Little 3yrs - May 2007

LittleleftMay2007.jpg

Little looks leaner in her 2yr old pic than Chicky does. Chicky was more laid back and Little played and ran all the time.

eta - Gracie is also a more petite looking mare. Her legs are even more petite looking than Biscuit's.

Edited by BB Blue

I know what worked for my old horse when everything else failed.

Soaked alfalfa cubes. He put on 200lbs in 3 months. He was 26yrs old.

They were. I have since sold all the paints. Chicky, the black/white, is owned by The Sugar Lady on here.

Talking about growth spurts,

Here's what Chicky looked like March of last year when I went to look at her

Chicky1.jpg

And this was taken last month...

Confo.jpg

Edited by The Sugar Lady

There's that Chickie girl! Such a pretty thing.

I dont know if you are able but a mid day feeding really puts the weight on one. I give a half ration for a "lunch" to my hard keepers. It makes a huge difference.

Also I put my hard keeprs on a daily wormer and couldnt believe the difference it made. My 25yr old looks better than he ever has.

Flax seed is great for adding fat without adding additional grain. I had a couple girls who will get flakey skin in the winter and the flax clears it right up.

One more thing, when my filly was 2 she had caps that were retained and although I couldnt "tell" that she was having teeth issues an equine dentist found several that needed removing.

Hope this helps some.

i have a hancock bred gelding.. he's also on the thin side. he is out 24/7 with access to hay and grass. he is just thin... his ribs almost always show. i had the vet do all bloodwork that was needed.. the vet has also come out multiple times to check his vitals and weight..... he said it's just his breeding and there is nothing to worry about. no suggestion of supplements. my horse is usually fatter in the summer months but as soon as winter hits, he gets a real ribby look to him. now when i say fatter, i mean you can just barely see his ribs.

it's all in the breeding i guess.

[smiley Wavey] i sooo feel your pain! i had my filly do the same thing from 2-4. it was horrible! i tried EVERYTHING & nothing worked until i got 'hard keeper' by vita flex. it has probiotics, which if she was alittle stressed with the trainer she needs some good bacteria back in her gut, it helps the absorption of nutrients. (you probably knew that already) anyway my filly was kinda high strung & skinny & that was the only thing for HER that worked & it didnt make her hot @all! its worth a try i think! best of luck! [Yay]

One can add fat to the diet and it is a much safer way to add calories than NSC

An equine nutritionist can give you the details

TSL, I had never seen a pic of Chicky until now.. Holy Crap!! She's beautiful... nevermind, she's fugly.. just drop her off at my house as she shouldn't be disgracing your pasture.

Don't worry about it. I'm not sure why your so freaked about her not being the same size as another horse her age. She's young. All horses grow at different rates. As long as you have had a vet check her over and there is nothing medically wrong with her the best thing to do is just provide her with a good complete feed and let her grow. I had one of those late bloomers. It took him until 6 years old to grow to the height he finished at (about 15.2hh). He also didn't even start to bulk up until then.

See at 3

mon3.jpg

At 4 (see how thin wide wise he is?)

Money4003.jpg

Then here at 6 when he was turning into Mr Muscle Manmoneyshed069.jpg

Since I was showing him and trying to keep a bit more weight on him I did up his fat content of his feed like I see was previously suggested. Try a high fat/protien feed like Ultium or something similar. As I said said helped out my skinny man until he decided he had grown up. [Huggy]

Yes she is wormed every 3 months just like the other 2. I guess my concern is if she is this thin then it would be really easy for her to hit that underweight mark and I know it can be quite difficult to get weight back on them. So I guess I'm trying to prevent it. Here's a picture I took of her yesterday in the rain so it gives a good idea of what she looks like since her winter fuzzies are slicked down. I just want to prevent something before it actually happens.

I picked up some rice bran, beet pulp, alfalfa cubes and some Triple Crown Growth yesterday. So shes getting a little of all of this now and we'll see what happens. Thanks for all of the suggestions and input.

gallery_34010_114_174349.jpg

Wow in that pic I think she looks pretty darn good. Could possibly use some muscle tone but that will come with time. Good choice on the Triple Crown products to, we use the TC lite and our horses really do well on it. Keep up the good work!

My Anglo-arab was ribby until she turned 5-she just kept growing up and not out-now that she's turning five this year she's starting to get broader and heavier-I give her a big scoop and a half twice a day-sometimes three and alfalfa hay once a day-grass hay once a day.

Daily wormer if you have a worm problem in the pasture/not able to rotate or rest your pasture, and Hancock horses have a lot of Thoroughbred blood- like a greyhound dog-you don't see too many fat ones.

Work on building muscle and she'll look like a million - she looks like a pretty nice three year old to me.