goldpiper

Hmmm, Is It Time For

I've been working on show clothes so I haven't worked on the quilt project. As soon as I finish up the clothes I will start back on the quilt.

How's everyone doing on their MQ?

I know...I'm busy too. My MQ is in a bag until I can get back to it.

I'm still working on my baby quilt, time is ticking away, the baby shower is on June 14th. and I'm at the applique stage right now, there are 18 blocks with appliques.

Once those blocks are done, stitching the blocks together won't take a few hours.

Then I clip the seam allowances and wash it!

I had to come up with a cute bee pattern and since it's in 3 parts, it takes a little more time to cut out and assemble.

I thought I had some Wonder Under, but I don't, I just can't find the time to get to town.

And I'm trying my hand at the machine zigzag stitch as the directions state for applying them.

I've not done much, so I'm rusty.

I want it to look good, so I've been practicing.

For those who have experience...do you have any hints for me on making corners?

I stated earlier, I never feel totally in control when I machine stitch.

Here's a pic of the bee, of course there's batting underneath, just put this together to show you what the applique will look like.

I still have to add the detail by hand...antennas and bee trail.

SDC12447.jpg

These are the quilt sandwich blocks ready for assembly.

SDC12437.jpg

Goldpiper that's what I like about the mystery quilt, no deadline breathing down your neck to finish the blocks and send them to someone else.

I'm so thankful to you for getting me back into quilting.

I'm already planning my next quilt!

But...I made a promise to myself...to finish all my quilts before I start another.

Question...do you quilt the tops yourself or have someone with a long-arm do them?

I don't think I could do it justice myself and have heard anything over a twin is impossible to quilt on a sewing machine.

Your thoughts on this please.

I decided I will definatly have mine done, I got a card from a woman who does lovely work that is local to me.

You all do amazing work!!

I remember seeing the quilt that was made for Alleyway and it was breathtaking!

I wish I had HALF the talent as some of you HC ladies have!

Hey guys... well I promised that I was going to start on this... but at least I see I'm not alone! lol

I am planning to make some time soon, I really want to get it going! I love the final picture of it and can't wait to see it in the black and whites I have picked out for it!! [Yay]

Hopefully things are going to start to settle down now that most of the garden is in......

Well that is the plan for this weekend to work on my MQ. I have not had time since I had several nieces graduating this year I have been to busy making afghans and my poor little arm is wore out. But graduation was last night so I am all done with those.

Whoo hoo!! I have been working on mine, and it's starting to come together.

I should have the top done today or tonight. :crazy:

Good for you DM!

Post pics of the top please when it's together.

Do you quilt your own tops?

Mine's still in a bag!

Still working on the baby quilt...I need to have my head examined thinking this rag quilt would be quick and easy!

Of course if I'd stuck to applique hearts instead of bees, I do believe I'd be done by now!

Here's a pic of where I'm at right now. I haven't decided which stitch to sew them on yet but when that's done I have to add the antenaes, sew it together, clip all the seams and wash it untill it frays.

Still have a lot to do and a little over 2 wks to do it in.

SDC12475.jpg

But mtn penny...fresh garden veggies are so good to eat.

I've had gardens...once those veggies start comin in, you're pretty much a slave to them.

The quilt will always be there.

Well I confess that part of the quilt slacking had to do with the garden but really we were putting in a dripper system out of pvc. So now all I have to do is turn on the water and go inside to quilt. LOL

Ok quilters, time to check in.

What's everyone up to?

Anyone have their kitty block done for the Animal Charity quilt? Pics please. I wanted to donate one, but since they had enough and I have so much on my plate, I'll get in on the next one.

I finished up the baby quilt and the shower was last Sunday. It was a huge hit with all the ladies there!

I had 5 requests for custom baby quilts, but I have no idea what I would charge! I know what I had in it cost-wise, but time/labor...oh my...how would you ever charge for that?

Anyway, I've already bought fabric for another one I'm starting today. It's for my daughter's longtime friend whose baby is 7 wks.

His nursery is lodge/moose done in green/browns/tans.

Anyone have a moose pattern I can use? Has to be about 4x4 square.

On to the pic of the finished bumble bee quilt.

SDC12514-1.jpg

QH Luvr. I love that quilt! It looks so comfy and cozy for baby! I definitely wouldn't sell your self short on those!

Around here it costs minimum $150 to have a quilt quilted by a machine at a shop.. I think that is minimum size of twin but I could be wrong and it could be minimum regardless of size..... [Question] (what a totally useless bit of info! lol)

I will be posting the first block on the Charity quilt in just a few minutes! [Yay]

BUMP

Thanks MM I just can't see someone paying enough for a small crib quilt to make it worth my while.

Does it really cost that much to have a quilt done on a longarm machine?

E-gad! That kind of makes me scared to make quilt tops!

How does anyone afford to get their tops quilted?

Do you do yours yourself?

If so how?

I'm thinking of signing up for a class in Aug. at a local quilt shop for a quilt as you go. It's a French Roses pattern, I loved it at first sight.

Good thing about it is no quilting when it's together it's done.

I started the lodge quilt last night and got a lot done. If I can get the right moose applique pattern, it should be done by the end of next week.

I have no clue.. most of what I have done is either small enough or I've hand quilted it.

That is what my sister told me... someone she knows has them quilted there.

It is pricey I thought! We don't have a lot of quilt shops here though so there is no competition.

Hope you can do the class.. I don't know that pattern, will have to go look it up!

And I assume we will be seeing pictures of the lodge quilt???? :)

Oh sure MM, I'll post pics of it when I get it together.

Quilting is big in my area, there are several quilt guilds and 5 quilting shops within 25 mile radius of me.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive to have done.

Found a pic of the french roses pattern finished & washed.

french roses

Just got home about 30 mins ago from Co. I will post pics either tomarrow or Tuesday. oh and MM I need an addy to send the cat block to.

Oh sure MM, I'll post pics of it when I get it together.

Quilting is big in my area, there are several quilt guilds and 5 quilting shops within 25 mile radius of me.

Hopefully it won't be too expensive to have done.

Found a pic of the french roses pattern finished & washed.

french roses

That is SO PRETTY! [Jump]

Just got home about 30 mins ago from Co. I will post pics either tomarrow or Tuesday. oh and MM I need an addy to send the cat block to.

Will send you PM. Thanks!

Ok ladies, I need help!! I havent had a chance to work on my quilt because life has been so crazy. I started to work on step 5 today and cut out my strips and sewed them together, The next step says to cut 5 12 7/8 pieces and I should end up with a 12 7/8 x 12 7/8 block. Well, If I cut my 3 strips I sewed together at 12 7/8 I am going to end up with a 12 7/8 x 12 1/2 block!!! I went back and made sure I cut my fabric right and I did sooooooo any ideas? did anyone else have this problem??

so pretty... i wish i could sew like this i would love to make one of these for my bed lol i get so cold in the winter lol

Here I thought for sure you would have had yours done Driften' LOL

Mine is together just not backed yet. But it looks like I have not posted pics. I could have swore I did. I guess I will try to dig up the pictures tomarrow.

I don't even have all mine cut out and pieced yet. :( Life has been insane and any time I have had to sew I've been working on the Fundraiser Quilt. .... which I will be posting updated pictures hopefully this coming weekend. :D

I would love to see how ya'll are working out with this quilt though! I love the pattern and hope to make it one day. :D