Sign in to follow this  
spacytracy

Cattle Panel Horse Stalls And Panel Paddocks

Does anyone use them?

http://www.badcattlepanels.com/stalls.htm

Do you like the setup? Do you use it indoors? How messy is it? Did you put something along the bottom to catch bedding and hay?

Also, does anyone use panels for horse paddocks? I want to make a paddock about 15x30ish. However, most of the websites I've seen don't have corral panels past about 10 feet. So if I put 3 in a row, do they stay straght?

Any info would be great!

They work very well if you anchor the corners with a post. Otherwise horses can shift them around. I use them a lot for temporary stalls and small paddocks.

If you want them as more permanent stalls, you can fasten treated 2X6's around the bottom to hold in shavings. I do that with foals to keep them from sliding under mine.

I use them too, for temporary stalls in the indoor. I too fasten a 2x6 across the bottom to keep foals from sliding under. I use brackets I get in the plumbing department of the local home improvement store and 1 inch construction screws to fasten the boards onto the panels. For odd corners or fastening to the walls I use short lengths of chain and snaps. I keep a bolt cutter handy in case of emergencies. For longer straight lines we put a metal t-post in every other panel and chain the panel tightly to the post.

I use them for dividers on the top half of my wooden stalls. Have also used them for short stretches in the paddock - be sure to use t-post or something frequently - a 15 or 16 foot stretch is too long for the panel to be stable. The panels are stiffer than weld wire.

I'm using them now, but I'm not happy with them. (not the brand you posted) When the horses get to "horsin' around" over and through the panels they don't hold up very well. It's a real wreck when one kicks through and hangs on a rail too.

One of my paddocks have 3 ten footers down one side. Hubby drove a T-post in the ground on the outside where they meet and wired them to the panels to hold them steady. I know if those posts weren't there, my filly would have moved them around by now.

I too use these when I need an additional temporary stall. They do work well w/ 2x6's on the bottom and the panels anchored with T-posts. I have only had one accident with them and It was quite the accident, the horse thankfully came out with no injuries, but she decided to be a stall kicker and tried to kick at the mare next to her and got caught in the panel. She got herself out before I could get her out, but it crumbled the panel and it was extremley scary. As long as the horse is not a stall kicker they work very well.

Those are the 'standard' out here in the desert SW. Never had a problem with horses getting caught.

azgrulla

Well, neither of my horses are kickers, they're pretty laid back.

I could definitely do the tposts outside in the paddock, but inside anchoring will be a problem - the floor is cement.

.....here's something I was thinking about for using panels.

I have my eye on a place for rent just outside the town where I live. It's got no barn........but it DOES have a two car garage.

I was thinking about getting permission to mount two 12' panels to the wall in the one parking spot so they fold flat touching in the corner OR swing out and connect at what would be a corner opposite the wall corner. Rubber matting goes down on the floor along with shavings or even floor dry in case the horse pees.

For me it would be handy for the really cold winter days that I'm penning and the horse could use the extra protection of a building after competition.

CR

That may just work for you CR!

my problem is that my stalls, whatever I do, have to be freestanding - no connections to walls at all. So if I do wood stalls, I have to use cement anchors for the corner posts. If I do panels, well....that's where I'm sort of stumped.

my entire outdoor (90x180) is panels...with the tposts on the outside and a little baling twine, you cant beat it...for stalls inside with concrete floors...is there anything you can maybe bracket or wire them to?? a ceiling, a beam, a wall??

You could use the deck post anchors; square metal sockets that can be anchored to the concrete, then insert and screw down wooden 4X4's. Still need concrete anchor screws, but it would work.

I use portable panels for just about everything, horses and cows. We don't use that kind. What we use, we get from a place in Texas. We have been using them for at least 23 yrs. Never had a problem with them other than the fact that they are heavy. I can carry/drag one by myself if need be.

This is what we use.

http://www.portablepanels.com/