AnnShh

Surgery Today :(

I broke my ankle last June and had surgery to remove several large bone chips. It was a really bad injury, according to my OS. Was non- weight barring all summer, and started riding again in September. Started having pain along the tendon, my OS tried several different things over the course of several months. Initially he and my PT thought it just needed to be stretched and over time it would get better. The pain continued and got worse, and after failed attempts by my OS with non-surgical treatments, he sent me to Baltimore for a second opinion (he didn't want to jump into surgical treatments without another opinion). The guy in Baltimore said that I have a tear along the peroneal tendon (which was why it was missed on the MRI- it was hard to see) and that the only option is surgery.

So I go in today at 6:30am for surgery to do a tendon reconstruction, tighten the ligament, and possibly deepen the boney groove the tendon sits in. I'll be in a cast, non weight barring for 6 weeks, and then a long rehab process. The OS in Baltimore said no riding for 3 months.... but once I can walk I'm getting on bareback or w/o stirrups so that I can at least sit on Milo.

I'm so disappointed and just not happy about this. I was hoping to get out to more events this season and then jumper shows this summer because Milo has been amazing over the past several months. But none of that is going to happen now... by the time I can ride again, it will almost be time for me to leave for college. I know that I don't have another treatment option, but at the same time, I sit here thinking of all the riding time I'll miss... riding time that I was looking forward to because once I go to college I'll only see my boy during Christmas and Summer. [Me Cry] I rode him today and was having second thoughts because it doesn't hurt while I ride... but then once I'm done riding I realize that I have to go through with the surgery.

You're already at the hospital by now, but just wanted to send good thoughts your way.

Hang in there [Angel]

Thinking about you and hope all is going well. Don't let the downtime get to you too much. I know it's hard thinking you won't be able to ride for awhile. :huggy:

Thanks guys [Huggy]

I'm really out of it, so if this post doesn't make sense, sorry in advance! I"m on percocet and I have really bad side effects from it (dizzy so muh to he point I can't sit up) but that was the only thing they could give me beacause the other options don't work on me. They lowered the dose this time around to see if the side effects can be lessened and so far it hasn't been as bad- I'm still a tad dizzy and really out of it (I kept saying/thinking that my surgery was yesterday). The pain wasn't that bad after the surgery, but I'm really starting to feel it now. I may need to get a higher dose of the percocet from the doc tomorrow because the lower dose hasn't done much as of right now.

Turns out there was no tear. I almost broke out into tears when they told me because I thought I had just gone through the surgery for nothing... but the OS said that I would have needed it anyway beause everything was extremely loose and the ankle was basically reconstructed. I have screws in there now to hold the ligaments tighter to the bone.

I go in on Wednesday for my post op and will be put in a cast then (I'm in a splint now due to the possibility of swelling and stuff) and he said that since everything went well, if I continue to heal well there is a chance that in 4 weeks I can start weight barring in a walking cast.

I miss my boy but I know he's in good hands and is being well taken care of for me. He's so good... last time I had surgery I went out there on crutches about 1-2 times a week, someone got him for me and then I took the lead rope and he just walked right next to me. We really didn't click much after I bought him, but I'm so glad I stuck with him because he really tries hard.

Oh, you poor thing! I know how that feels to get screws in your ankle, and it isn't pleasant. About three years ago, I broke my ankle, shattered it actually. Wore a cast for awhile, and when it didn't heal correctly, I got pins and a plate put in. It healed fine over the course of a year, but then I had all the hardware taken out. Another cast for another 6 weeks, and then a boot for a long time.

I'm so sorry you have to go through all that, but the end result will be worth it. They gave me morphine for the pain at first, and it really helped a lot! [Crazy] Yeah, it did! :happy0203: My surgery was in the summer, too. What a bummer, no riding.

Here's hoping you'll heal fast . It get discouraging at times, but hang in there. It doesn't last forever. [Huggy] [Huggy]

Edited to add Buddyroo, does that mean I can join the 'Got screwed Club' now? I've been screwed so many ways in the last year that I could be the poster child for the club...........

Edited by rwdodgerblue

Glad everything went good. I know what you mean about Percocet. I take that daily for my back. Used to make me soooo dizzy. I think I'm used to it now cuz it just makes me really tired.

Thanks guys! Just got back from the OS... the splint they had me in was too tight around my toes and was rubbing/pushing on my pinky toe, so I went in and they put a new one on. I just took my meds again 30 mins ago but my foot/ankle is killing me. Hopefully the meds kick in soon... I may have to take 2 percocet next time instead of just 1.5.