Sign in to follow this  
gonedunit225

Mare Not Gaining Weight

ok well my frend has a question and i thought id post it here. when i bought my pony my freind also bought a pony for the same guy. she had no paper but the guy told her that the pny was the same age as mine which is 12. she was my freinds first and only horse and they really bonded. my freind went off to college and left the the pony at this other guys house. she called the guy maybe last week and he told her that the mare isnt gaining weight and shes thin and he giving her 2 gallons of whole oats a day and says that the guy that sold her the pony lied and that shes propbly an old pony in her 20s.

the 2 years that my frend kept the pony at my house with my pony the pony was doing fine. she did get a little thin 2 summers ago but that was becasue the guy i was paying to take care of them forgot to sometimes but she gained that back.

not i dont think shes an old pony. she seemd to have plenty of stamina when we would go loping in my back feield, we would go atleast 5 times a week for about 2 hours a ride of almost nonstop lopping.

i dont know anything about telling the age of a horse and niether does she soif someone can help her out it would be awsome.

the pony is a very picky eater she only lliked to eat timothy hay or the hay that was blueish and had wide leaves. but when we didnt have the hay she liked we would feed her a mix of oats, sweet mix, sunflower seed, corn and alfalfa pelets. and she did fine on that. yes she was a bit thin but she had a really big fat deposit on the top of her neck and she was ridding alot so she was really in shape.

i dont know but could it be that she doesnt like the place shes in all alone and misses her owner?

Just because a horse is old does not automaticly mean she will loose weight and slow down. Shoot, we have a 21 year old ex roping horse that gives the 4 and 5 year olds a run for their money, and this year we were starting two new horses, rode them all outside for the first time and decided to take old Dollar out with them. NONE of the young horses did a thing, but Old Dollar did. He launched his owners husband, then took off for the hills, jumped a few ditches, went down in the gully, circled the barn a couple times, then came snorting back. We all got on and rode and he was the only one prancing on his toes with his tail up. hehehe

Also, ditto to Buddy Roo, sounds like she needs better feed. 2 gallons of whole oats is not enough to keep a horse fat through the winter.

Coggins only shows the presence of EIA, nothing else. Have the vet draw a bit more and run a full test. Vet can tell you the approximate age of the horse too.