Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Dressage Chit Chat Thread #24

vito-Sounds like a good goal to shooy for. Just don't get so focused on the goal you lose sight on the journey.

ES-Congrats on finding a saddle that fits. So when do we get pics?

Tracy-Sounds like you have a good plan. I hope it all pans out. Just don't get discourages if you don't find anything right away.

Beck-Don't you love the older horses that act like three year olds? I love rifding out in fields. It makes circle work seem less boring. First show may be in April. I have to decide if I want to go or not. I probably will.

3Day=Get to work ya bum. LOL. That sucks about the tooth.

Hubby was sick today so no barn for me. Did some work on the trailer. I need to decide if I am going to torture myself and show next month.Basically I would go to work . Than in the morning go to the show until the end. So no sleep for 24 hours. Come home and crash. Get up in the morning and go to the show again. It is doable but than I need to sleep for 10+ hours.

Good grief CSA! I would die without sleep! I get all whiney and start to cry for new reason:-) You are much tougher then I am...however, when I get to a show I get a certain surge of energy and that may keep you going until you can sleep. Ahg!!

3Day-Shelby is 14. She was xrayed and they are actually pretty darn good for a horse of her age, size, and breeding...so I guess I can't complain. I really started noticing she was do about a month ago, she has been in serious work all winter, so ahg, another bill. Maybe they could inject her brain too, hahahaha.

So, it is supposed to be 68 degrees today, so it looks like another hacking/conditioning day here too. It is very rare to be able to ride out of the arena this time of year and it looks like the weather is going to change this weekend, so I need to take advantage of it!

Beck, oh yes, the weather is going to change... It rained all yesterday, but today is decent. We're supposed to get some icky snow/ice/rain at the end of the week. With the temps bordering freezing in the mornings, I might be able to sneak in a ride tomorrow AM (all the mud will be "spongy" frozen). Other than that, I assume Jag and I will not get to practice riding for a little bit... Oh well, he'll probably enjoy the break. I'm sorry that Shelby is being mare-ish. Is there a supp that you could give her to help tone down her 'mare- attitude'?

CSA, to go without sleep for 24 hours... well, back in college I had to pull a couple all-nighters. Aw, the adrenaline! I would be able to stay up for 24 hours, but for goodness sake, don't put me infront of the wheel of a car or on a horse's back; I'd probably crash or something. Do you work a rotating/night shift?

Eventer, I looked into x-rays- we'd have to trailer Jag to Moville, which is an hour away. That would be cool to send Scotch to the Hasslers, even for just a week, but I would imagine that would be rather expensive.

Jag is turning 15 this spring. He had a flex test during his PPE; he seemed definitely ouchy on the right hind with Doc pulled the leg up, but he trotted out sound. You see, the thing was, I was already in love with Jag, his owner wasn't asking too much $ for him, the owner NEEDED to find him a new home (like that WEEK b/c she needed the cash), and I wanted to give Jag a new home. I figured at $800, you get what you pay for. At the age of 14 (when we bought him), there should be some issues with arthritis (especially with his lifestyle as an OTTB and western gaming horse). Doc and I figured that with a little TLC, food and training, he'd make a nice gelding.

He's turning out better than expected! If I could just make his hock/stifle feel better... Injections? Feed through supp? IM injections? X-rays?

Well, gotta go! Recess duty again!

CSA - I can't imagine showing on no sleep! I've had to pull all nighters for work (design projects due immediately) and I get really emotional and grumpy after. I can't imagine being able to ride that way. If you do it, all I can say is if you do well, you friggen KNOW you deserve that because you are giving your all!

TracyA - Good luck with your exam and job search. Has the economy hit your field at all? It seems like it might be one of those things that people will always need, so hopefully you'll be better off than a lot of grads out looking for work these days.

Beckham03 - Mares. Heh - Echo gets in her moods too. Does Regumate really help? She gets so witchy sometimes that the staff says they get scared to stick their arm in her stall to throw her hay in (I have her fed on mats on the ground instead of in the feeder, so they have to go in). How fun that you've been getting some good riding in the fields!!!! Hope the weather holds out a bit longer :)

3Day - Hope the paper finished up well. Bummer about the tooth!

Sylves - Yes, Jag is turning out awesome!!! Echo is turning 15 this year too. Nothing wrong with that! I just started her on Cosequin with MSM a week ago. She isn't having any issues, but I figured that it's time to at least do some preventative stuff. For Jag, I think if the vet thinks an X-ray would help him know what's going on with the stifle, that would be ideal. Is there heat?

So, responding to the pic requests, yes, I'm going to ask my daughter to take pics when we go out this weekend. She's 10 so she gets bored hanging out in the arena taking pics, but she does a good job :)

Ooh, and this is cool. I listed my Isabell on ebay and it's already almost at what I bought the Ellipse for. I'll be really happy if the Wintec goes just a tad higher and then it would be an even 'trade' type of thing. Edited to add - I just looked and there are 33 people watching it. It's bound to get another few bids, right? Yippee! :)

Edited by e.s.dressage

ES-That is how I know my horse is trained. The first day is mostly western. What I want to do is in the morning. However trainer is there all day. Gaming is at night. If I am there I might as well do it. I seldom get to leave the mare run and she does enjoy it. I did a couple last year. Getting back on the horse gets difficult as the night goes on. However Cheese starts to run better when I am not trying to correct her and just trying to stay on.LOL. Caffene is your friend.

Beck-Enjoy the weather. I am so jealous.

Sylves-You got a heck of a deal with Jag. Stupid question but how do you knoe Jag needs a sopplement/injections? Since the mare is turning 18 I am starting to look at joint supplements. However the one issue she used to have has dissappeared with the dressage work. So I am guessing it was due to muscular weakness. So how can you tell if horse who had little topline muscle and is now starting to use the back correctly needs something or is just getting used to working the correct muscles(not sore/stiffness)? Hope that makes sense.

Usss. I hate tuesdays. Back to work. I can''t fall asleep because I shifted to a day shift schedule. Dometimes third shift does not seem woth the extra $60 a mweek.

csa- I am a bum! [bat Eyelashes] your girl is turning 18! She definately doesn't look or act like it! hehe. That's a long day for a show....not sure if I would be willing to do it. At least you could take a snooze in your truck between classes. And I definately know that I couldn't do a shift schedule. That would make me cranky!

Beckham- LOL inject her brain. Maybe someday they will do something crazy like that. I know the bill thing...I just paid for Scotch's hock injections today. Ergh. And 68!!!! Send some this way!!!!

Enjoy your hack!

Sylves- Definately look into xrays before you inject. I haul Scotch 1 1/2hrs to go to my vet. There are vets that will come to my barn but Dr. D is an amazing lameness/overall vet (He worked for New Bolton) so I'm willing to travel to him. Plus he's eye candy too. Scotch has some issues in his hocks. Injections did help him quite a bit, but did get xrays first. And he's one a IM Adequan monthly...and IV Legend during show season. I use Cosquin ASU or the Optimized. Both are the same thing even though the ASU is the new and improved one...but Cosquin Optimized (w/ MSM) is the same thing dosage wise. Been told that supplements are a waste of money...but who knows. Try one thing first and build up. Your Jag boy is definately turning into a great guy! Glad you were able to get him! and recess duty again! FUN!

ES- paper done! Good daugher, wish she could come and take pictures for me! hehe

Got to class this AM w/ little to no sleep trying to finish that stupid paper...and NO class. Big sign stating the very fact! @@$!!@! Man! What kind of professor doesn't email us stating there is no class especially for a 8am class! Ok done rant :) So ponyboy got ridden early this AM. Did a hack in the cold wind and then we jumped a xrail just for the heck of it. He's such a good ponyboy. Now I'm watching my all time favorite movie...Pride and Prejudice. Gosh I can watch it any day any time.

Edited by 3DayEventer

Sylves-A phone call to the vet may add some insight...when Winston was around 15 the vet decided that Adequan was the best choice at the time. It worked great for a few years, then I started to see the stiffness I see in Jag and get some nasty resistance to work. Vet decided to inject the lower hocks and he was back in business. Work was getting harder and harder for him and I didn't want to inject the crap out of him, so I retired him from showing (5-6 days a week of hard riding) and now just ride him some at home. I keep him on Cosequin and MSM and he looks great and runs like a 2 yr old. Under saddle I noticed the bad stiffness in his right hind last week, so injections again it is. And to answer CSA's question as well-Sometimes you notice weakness, stiffness, lameness, or I have seen it show up as just pure resistance; horse suddenly won't go on the bit, grabs the bit, throwing head, rearing, etc. You may notice your horse taking longer to warm up, stiffness coming out of the stall in the mornings, some off steps here and there. Some vets may suggest trying something like Adequan first, or suggest x-rays and treatment if there is no improvement or severe lameness. Okay, that is my 2 cents...I will save my lecture on joint supplements until later. Now that I am in science **** for vet tech school I understand a lot more about how they work and why some don't:-)

Got home late Sun. night and did not have a chance to get on here yesterday. First day back from Spring break. I have pictures. I uploaded them last night, but need to put them in photobucket so I can post them. I also got the video, but it must be copy righted, because it won't let me burn it or save it to my computer.

The show was pretty good. Beau got a little fussy and I suspect his feet may have been a tad sore from it having rained earlier this week. But if that's all the fussy he got from sore feet, then it's a huge improvement. Sat. a.m. I did First Level test 1. My husband and I both thought it was the best test I ever did. We were in the outdoor ring and it was really good. We thought it would be a mid 60's, but it was only a 60.667. However,it gave me my 2nd first level score towards my bronze. Did not get it on video, darnit. He did say I lacked energy, so must need to drive him up into bridle more. That afternoon I did First level test 4. It was a fairly decent test. But that's when Beau started getting real fussy in my warm up, like he was sore, plus now we were inside. Still, pretty good. We got 7's on our leg yields and 7's on counter canter loops. The score was a 60.789. I got the video and I like it, but can see where I need to improve. I scratched my first level test one this a.m. cause it was at 8:40 and my first level test 4 was not till 3:32. That's to long in between and Beau was getting a bit cranky. So I did my First level test 4 this afternoon and while it wasn't great, it wasn't bad. I got the video to atest to that fact. I thought it would be about a 58 or 59. I was completely shocked when I got the test back and it was a 54.211. She didn't like anything we did. I will not show for her again and a lot of people were very disgusted with her as a judge. Overall it was a good show, but Beau did end up throwing a hind shoe and we aren't real sure when he did that. It was on him before my test. We also think he is better if I do two tests the first day and just one the second. I did not get my regional qualifying scores, but I did get on SWDC qualifying score and my first level bronze scores. So two goals accomplished out of three.

I still need to find a way to get Beau to relax more at shows. I can honestly say it's not me anymore. I am not at all nervous and there is...... a lot of improvement with him. We are getting there, but if he would just relax and chill out, we would get much better scores. Because he gets tense, we loose points. You can see it in his neck. I know that I can now think and I always remember to breathe and I can make good corrections now. I didn't use to even remember my tests!!!

On a good note, I could see in the video's that I am riding a whole lot better. Those are the very first videos I have ever seen of myself riding. My elbows stayed bent and soft, my hands were very giving and I kept the contact. I did not have one single comment that said I was not holding a steady enough connection. I used to get that all the time. I definitely kept the connection. I just need to get he hing leg a little more and drive him a bit more forward. I also sat his big bouncy trot quite well. Not as bad as I thought I was!!

Fun show and my shoer came and put a shoe back on yesterday. What an awesome shoer I have!!

I read everyone's posts but have to run now. More later and pictures tonight.

Edited by Boocoo

Boocoo, sounds like you had a decent time. It's too bad the judge was extra critical. It sounds like she was consistent and not showing favoritism, which is a plus, I guess. Man, you note that this was your first time being video taped while riding; I absolutely don't know what I'd do without my video camera! I now tape every single ride... but the flip side is, I bet you wonder what you would do without a good trainer. I don't really have a trainer...yet. Apparently there's a lady from Rapid City, IA who moved here a year ago; I heard that she is a dressage instructor. She works in the same town that I work, so she's close enough to give me a lesson at my farm! Ew, I'm crossing my fingers that she's half way decent! I need an educated teacher because I'm determined to do this dressage stuff RIGHT!

CSA, I feel for ya- I couldn't work the night shift. I'm happy as a lark with my daytime job. Could you take a vacation day for a horse show? I would think the last thing you want to do is wipe yourself out. I know I'd feel wiped out after working all night, then showing all day. With regards to Jag's joints, I can see stiffness only in the canter tracking left. It's like he can't fully extend his left hind leg behind himself. He extends it beautifully at the walk and trot, but for some reason, he wants to almost bunny-hop when cantering to the left. (And, I always thought his ouchy hind was on his right side...). I'm hoping the chiro can do something about it; maybe he's out of alignment, or something. At any rate, I am most certainly considering other options because I would love to at least get him doing solid training level.

Beck, I actually spoke with Dr. T, the vet that vetted Jag for the PPE, and he was sort of inconclusive about what to do. Unfortunately his clinic doesn't have an x-ray for large animals. He said that he has injected hocks successfully, but he believes that the feed through supps would be the best first option. He didn't really have an opinion of what brand of glucosamine to use, so I just went with "Next Level" pellets. I do notice that Jag is free-er in his movement, but obviously it's not helping the left hind (as seen in the canter). I know that you guys recommend going straight to the Cosequinn. I'm assuming the powder form is superior to the pelleted and liquid forms because the powder is purer. I'll call doc again to discuss injections again. What about the IM injections? Are they any good?

I'm back to considering injections again, even though it puts a bit of a strain on our finances. I took into consideration that the "Next Level" pellets cost $38 per container, and that seems to only last a month, if that long. Perhaps I could save money by only giving IM or hock injections... Plus, it probably wouldn't be TOO much more to ditch the off brand and go for the good stuff- Cosequinn (am I spelling that right?) I know, I know, horse ownership is poverty... lol!

Edited by Sylves

Boocoo-When you find out how to untense Beau at shows, call me:-) Shelby gets so tense and her submission scores are crap. I feel like I ride a good test then get blasted. If she is calm it is too calm...arg! A great first outing for you two this year with those two goals off the list in MARCH! Congrats...I am waiting for pics!!!

Sylves-Cosequin has a smaller molecular weight, which is patented. Joint supplements have to get through the synovial membrane to get to the joint. It is semi-permeable and only very small molecules can get through. (Like a cell membrane.) So, no one has done any research on these other brands like the work that has been done on Cosequin. Good chance that the molecules of glucosimine don't make it anywhere but the stable floor. (Even though to read a lot of these labels, they sound really good.) I love Cosequin and have had some great luck with it. Use it on my dogs too. If your vet hasn't done a lot of injections I wouldn't let him, sorry. Adequan and Legend are both great as well. Boocoo using something that is supposed to be good too...what is it?

3day-I realized I scheduled injections during Equine Affair...arg. Oh well, really want my horses fixed and can go another day.

Someone asked about hormones...Shelby is back on Reumate and it does work with the mareness but is a pain in the butt to give...I want to try her on Depo Provera, but she has to be out of heat first.

Off to the barn!

I just went back and read my post about the show. Wanted to clarify that when I said I didn't used to remember my tests, I don't mean the pattern. I always know the pattern for the test and I never use a test caller. I meant that after I am done riding and go back over it in my head, I would realized that while I was doing the test I wasn't focused enough to make good corrections.

Yes, Slyves, a good trainer is essential. However, she was not with me at the show. I usually go to shows without a coach. I would probably do better if she was there, but she can't always go and if I am the only student of hers there, that's a lot of extra expense. So I wing it on my own at shows.

I have Beau on Springtime J-Flex chondroitin. It is a very pure form of Chondroitin and lasts quite a while for the cost. If I get to the point where he needs injections in the hocks, that will be it. We will be done. Fortunately, he seems sound physcially, espcecially since he ran on the track and he is 13 years old, it's the mental issues I have to deal with! [ROTFL]

Boocoo- CONGRATS! First show of the season at a new level. Way to GO lady! Can't wait for pics!

Beckham- oh man bummer!! But yay to injections! It sucks that they are so expensive.

I second Cosequin! Check out my slide show I did today...instead of studying haha.

Ponyboy Slide Show

Edited by 3DayEventer

How does Chondroitin and Glucosamine work? Isn't it normally formulated together. Do other ingredients work with the joints (shark cartilage, perna mussel, Ester C and MSM). MSM is a anti inflammatory, yes?

Boocoo, would you explain the reason for retiring Beau if he ends up not responding to his supplements (if he needs injections)? Too expensive, too risky, indication of too much stress on the hocks? As for trainers, being that I'm probably one of the only dressage students this lady would have, we'd probably (crossing my fingers) share truck/trailer/expenses and go to shows together. Oh, boy, wouldn't that be awesome! Of course, she'd have to supply the truck. We could supply the trailer, but perhaps she has a better trailer than our "aircraft carrier." ... <sigh> Once again, I'm totally jumping ahead of myself! I need to get a lesson from her first to even see if she's a decent teacher...

Beck, thank you so much for the information. I have been wondering and asking about that, and you're the first person to explain it to me. Chad says that the pelleted form is probably no good because the key ingredient had probably been compromised during the extrusion process.

Okay, gotta go again!

Have any of you gone down the Adequan route? Is it worth the near $1500 of treatments?

Edited to add:

oops, it's a little more than $1500! More like near $2100... sigh.

Edited by Sylves

Leaving work but

Adequan gave me my horse back. Actually, we were struggling at training level and are schooling 2nd in one year with Adequan and then after 8 weeks of that, hock injections. LOVE IT

Sylves-That price of $289 is not bad for a loading dose of Adequan, then it is usually one shot per month, so really not that bad. It is awesome and worked great on Winston and Shelby still gets it once per month and then hock injections when needed. It has been well worth the cost. I decided to retire Winston when I saw him struggling with the work despite the Adequan and injections. (Like 3-day I will sometimes add Legend during show season.) I was ready to move him up to 2nd level and he is well schooled at 2nd, but physically it became very hard to sit and do the collection necessary at that level. He will always have a home with me, so even though it was a little hard to stop showing him, I didn't have to worry about selling him and I still enjoy riding him:-) Shelby is far from struggling with the work, she gets cranky when sore, but doesn't struggle, so we will keep moving forward. And the x-rays show no reason to slow down...maybe if she was struggling a little she would slow down!!! And I do have Beckham on Cosequin as well even though he is only six, but he works pretty hard these days and I want to keep him moving:-) Also, what do you feed him? The addition of Omega 3's helps with inflammation as well as MSM and all of other goodies mentioned:-)

And yes, I agree with what Chad said about the supplement:-) Man, I am soooo chatty today!

So, I had a wonderful hack on Beckham...got it lots of great canter work and we had a blast, too bad it is supposed to rain tomorrow. I have a lesson scheduled for Friday too.

Sylves, it's a personal reason for just not continuing with Beau if I have to do injections. He has enough other issues mentally and keeping his ruined feet sound, that I would just choose not to show him anymore if I have to deal with injections. If he didn't perform well at a show I would be stressed out thinking I left his injections go to long and I am just not up to dealing with that added stress with Beau, on top of all his other stressful issues. Anywhoo, at the rate we are going, I don't think we will need them. He is very sound, except for his feet, and has awesome hock action. I wish I could upload the darn video for you all to see. He is a really cool mover. I get a lot of comments on his hock action from various people. Judges, spectators, other trainers, etc... I will do pics tonight. We were at the high school last night for freshman orientation for our son, so didn't get them done. I would not retire him, but I would not show him anymore. If he started having trouble with being ridden lightly at home, then I would quit riding him and just turn him out. Like Beckham, Beau will not ever be sold. He will always have a home with me. He does like to work, but I honestly think he would be happier just doing lessons, clinics and staying home. But that is not an option just yet!!

Another plan of ours is for me to hopefully get my bronze medal on Beau. I am hoping I am doing 2nd level by this fall and 3rd by the end of 2010. Once I get that, I will slow way down with Beau anyway and we plan on buying a youngster for me to bring along as my next prospect. I have my eye on a really nice Hanoverian yearling right now, but I don't know if we can do it this year after buying a house last year and taking a huge hit on our rental house as well. So may just have to wait till next year to start looking. I honestly think I will be able to ride Beau for 3 to 5 more years though. We'll just see how it goes.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement on my show. I was really hoping for better scores. If he would settle down and work like he does at home, we could get the better scores. But he is what he is and I have accepted that a long time ago! The fact that he is not a WB and scores like he does is pretty good actually, so we will just have to be satisified with that. Hard to do though, because I have very high expectations in life! But we will just have to carry on!

3day, I love your slide show. Very nice and Scotch is such a great horse.

I need to have hubby video me at home and then I can post it. Some day soon!

Edited by Boocoo

I went for a little field trip over lunch... I timed the trip from school to the barn where we're moving next week. The new place is three miles from school, and takes ten minutes. :) I'm looking forward to having the pony closer so I can spend more time with him without spending a small fortune on gas. There's an upper level rider who trains at the new place. I am HOPING to get to see her ride and get inspired. I'll try to get some pictures next week.

Tracy

tracy-Yay!!! It is so great to have them close. This is going to be great for you:-)

3Day-Loved the slide show. I didn't realize you had done so much eventing with Scotch. He is a cute jumper! How long have you had him? I guess I just loose track of time:-)

Boocoo-Sounds like we have a lot of the same philosophy regarding horse care. If there is just a lot of problems and a lot of maintenance, it is time to stop for me. I could just feel it with Winston and new it was time. He still gets treated the same, gives rides to kids, I ride him, and he is still mean to Beckham, so he really enjoys his life:-) I'll tell you though, I see him trotting through the field and it makes me tempted to put him back in serious work:-) I am still waiting on those pics:-)

So, it is a rainy day, which we actually kind of need. So I wormed everyone and through them out, so they get a day off. I don't like to ride the same day I worm them or give vaccines. It isn't really muddy and the next 2 days will be great and a lesson Friday.

So I went to Whole Foods with my mom and Gramma for lunch and shopping and met DH there. Also picked up some fun stuff for dinner. I need to think about getting my butt ready for class next week.

Beck, Ah, I miss Fresh Fields/Whole Foods! That is such a nice store! I swear, the meat IS better from WF/FF!

Eventer, That slide show is a great way to procrastinate! At least you're doing something worth while, lol! I would be a little miffed too if our prof canceled class by just posting the announcement on the door. What about all those non-trad students who had a long commute? An email would had been more courteous, but who knows, maybe the prof had a personal emergency? How's that paper coming along? Is the subject interesting at all?

I'm waiting for a call from Doc; I'll give him an update on Jag's stiff leg and see where he wants to go from here. Chad and I discussed switching to more expensive treatments; it sounds like he's receptive to the idea. Chad did always promise that I could go as far as I wanted to with regards to helping my pets (surgery, therapy treatments, etc). I do need to be realistic, though; family and bills first, then supplements and joint treatments, lol!

Well, I'm thinking about what we're going to have for dinner so that it can be ready by the time Chad comes home from work... then I'll head out to the barn after dinner! The weather is nice today. No 40 degrees, blowing wind and driving rain! I'll take advantage of the nice weather and get some Jag time!

Edited by Sylves

ha Beckham, good ol Winston. He sounds like a great character. I love Whole Foods. We have a couple in the area. Not super close, but it's fun to go once in a while when we go to the BIG city!!!

I got Beau out last night and rode him, first time since the show. He was quite nice actually, in spite of having given him his WN vaccine the night before. He usually gets sore. I have two more vaccines to give him, but have learned to space them out and then he doesn't get so sore. I bought a new pair of Grip Bum Equesentials at the show. Wow, I love them. Rode in them last night. I also dropped my stirrups another hole again! Wow, it felt really good. I don't post so high and can influence Beau better at the sitting trot.

We had a wicked thunderstorm last night and lots of hail and lightning, so couldn't get on the computer. Tonight, I will do pictures.

Edited by Boocoo

Well here are some pictures from the show. I hope they aren't to huge. We'll see. The indoor ones did not turn out. So this was my outdoor test on Sat. a.m. I liked this test. It was very fluid, rythmic and Beau was relaxed!! We just needed a bit more energy according to the judge!

057.jpg

066.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

080.jpg

068.jpg

Boocoo-Very nice pics. Low scoring judges can suck but at least it sounds like she kept scoring consistant.

Sykves-I am already taking one day vacation.Otherwise I would have to work Sat. night. I once did an all day show and went to work and than stayed up to 3 the next day. Never again. I remember something about the human body not being able to break downse glucosmine/chondroiten in pill form. I wonder if it is the same with horses?

Tracy-Congrats on finding a barn closer to school.

3Day-I love the slide show. Yes my mare is 18 going on 5. I don't think she will ever act her age. If she does I think I'll retire her.

KTM-I see your new guy made it home safe and sound.I can't wait to see how he matures.

I should be at the barn right now. It is in the 30's but should be warming up shortly. Work was a killer.So I elected to come home relax and have a cold one.Yt's suppose to rain tomorrow. So I will be kicking myself.Oh well I am sure Cheese will enjoy an extra day off.

Yey, Beau pictures! You two look very lovely!

KTS, How is the Riley-mon doing?

KTM, Is Rex settling in okay?

Tracy, When do you get to move to your new barn? That sounds like it will be a good change!

I lunged and rode yesterday- got it all on tape. I was foolish to attempt the left lead canter, otherwise it was an awesome ride. I'm planning on the chiropractor coming out sometime next week; I am very much looking forward to the appointment. If the adjustment doesn't do the trick for that left hind, I'm going to have to rely on Doc to figure it out. Crossing my fingers that this gets fixed by periodic adjustments... Thankfully there's an equine chiropractor near us!

Edited by Sylves

Sylves, the move is next week, either Tuesday or Wednesday. I cannot WAIT to have Fessor closer to home. It will be so very nice to pop out over lunch and go see him once in awhile.

We had a networking event at school yesterday of attorneys with small firms. Mostly it was just a chance to get to know people, but could also generate some leads. Among the attendees were a pair of brothers who run a John Deere franchise in a small town about an hour and a half from here. I've been looking at the job posting for their business because they are looking for someone who can be both an accountant and a lawyer. They are offering a very competetive salary. The downside? I'd need to move, and the dealership is in a town of about 2,200 people. I'd be 20-30 miles from a pair of cities with about 25,000 people, and about 50 miles from Iowa City (home of the University of Iowa). There would be a nice low cost of living and the possiblity of getting some land within five years or so. But I need to see if living small town life would make me crazy. I think I'll drive out this afternoon and take a look around the town. The dealership is having an open house this week to celebrate an expansion, so that might be a good time to see what the people are like. Finding a place to board shouldn't be too hard, but finding facilities to work in might require a second hand truck and trailer so I could haul in once every couple of weeks for a lesson. We'll see. I am *trying* to get on the yahoo group of the dressage group out in the eastern part of the state, but no luck yet.

I'll check back in later. The weather has cooled off here, but fortunately, we aren't expecting to get hit by the snow that is forecast for Kansas and parts south.

Tracy

Thank you C.S.A. and Sylves for your nice comments on my show photos. I really like how most of us on this board really support each other!!! [Huggy]

Boocoo - Your photos are lovely! Beau is absolutely drool-worthy. Regardless of the scores, it sounds like you have your own grasp of how you did on your tests, which is awesome. I wish we could see the video!

I haven't been on here much because I'm absolutely swamped with work, but hopefully I'll be able to respond to more people next week. I'm still hoping to have my daughter take some pics this weekend so that I can get some feedback from you all! :)

Echo had her spring shots and exam this morning and the vet said she's looking better than ever. Yay! Ooh, and my wintec ended up selling on ebay for within $40 of what I paid for my new saddle!!! Woohoo!

Edited by e.s.dressage

Thank you E.S. I agree with two out of the three judges! Not bad, eh? :happy0203: I know what I need to do and that is make a concientious effort to really ride him forward at shows. Beau tends to get tense and suck back when he's nervous and I get lax a daisy and let him! [bang Head] But at least I can honestly say there's a whole lot of improvement!! I wish you could all see the video as well so I could get some honest feedback from folks on here. Oh and did I mention, all three of my tests were from three different judges? That's why I was so shocked about that last score. The first two were fairly close and I rode the 3rd test even a bit better than the first two and got that score! Oh well, you win some, you loose some, right?

Good deal on your saddle selling E.S. Get lots of pics this weekend. How old is Echo. Glad the Vet. said she is looking good.

Tracy, the John Deere Franchise sounds like a whole lot of fun. And it's not to far from town. I bet you would even be able to "let down" and relax in a small town atmosphere. I love small towns and we are close enought to big cities, if we want to go do anything.

C.S.A. hope your weather is warming up. We just had a wicked thuderstorm roll through here. It was black as night at 10 a.m.!! We so need the rain.

Sylves, glad you had a good ride. You are a very determined person and I love that! I am the same way. I might get down for about 10 min. then I am back up and determined to go try, try again!

I was planning on dragging my arena tonight so I could ride tomorrow, but now after that storm, don't think I will get to ride till maybe Sun. for sure by Mon.

Did I mention I bought a pair of Grip Bum Equesential breeches at the show? I rode in them on Wed. and love, love, love them. They are so comfy!

Edited by Boocoo

I am a bad chatter...again. I have been on a Spring cleaning mission here at home, at the farm, in my car...the flower beds and riding a lot. Trying to get a lot done before school starts up again next week.

Boocoo-Nice pics! Nice square halt and what a nice up hill canter! I was like, he doesn't look at all tense in these pics, what is she talking about? hehehehe. Then I saw where you said he wasn't in these, duh:-) I have the same problems with Shelby; if she is super forward she is tense and I get knocked for that or she is too laid back, and I get knocked for that:-( At least you got feedback from three different judges in one show! I have noticed that some really freak when a horse is a little hot and and really call it tension and knock you for it and some don't. All we can do is our best...so way to go!!!

Sylves-I hope you aren't getting that nasty storm I keep hearing about your way! I watched your video and will comment in the other thread.

Tracy-I couldn't survive a too small town. I am spoiled, I have land but live in a really popular part of the city and have quick access to a lot of things. The problem is that it is getting too crowded with "city folk":-) Hahahaha. Let us know what you think of the town!

ES-Busy busy. I hear ya. Hope you get some rides in this weekend with pics:-)

CSA-Sorry work was rough...some days you just need to come home and kick back! I hear ya on that! When I worked on my feet all day somedays I would come home and think there was no way I could get back up again. When I was younger it didn't seem to bother me:-)

So, I had a lesson on Beckham today...haven't had one since last fall. Trainer was impressed, except that he is still fat:-( He is turning out to be a really easy keeper and I like to throw hay at them all the time, sigh:( Anyway, she said she is impressed with how through I have him and how he is staying on the outside rein. His canter is much more balanced and quite nice. I am having to flex him a lot to the inside because he is still building strength to really step up and carry himself. I have a bad habit of holding him up like he is still a baby. Anyway, we are set for training 4 at the next show and then training 4 and 1-1. She said first will be no problem for him.

I am heading back out to do some ground work with Shelby. I am working on building her confidence and or relationship while I am waiting to get her hocks done. She is a challenge, but I learn something new everyday.

The mini across the road that is neglected keeps breaking out and coming to see Shelby. They whinny for each other. So sad...the mini lives in a **** hole all alone and they don't take care of it. I fed it yesterday. I have called the HS out 4 times and they don't do anything because it has crappy hay and shelter....it just breaks my heart.

Okay, not enough time to read all of the replies from today, but I did skim.

ES, congrats on selling your saddle for a good price! I'm about to put a saddle on ebay; I'm crossing my fingers that it goes for at least as much as I paid for it.

Beck: we're on our way out to do some spring cleaning too. I might get a chance to lunge, but that will be it. Have fun getting everything cleaned up! I love CLEAN!

Boocoo, I absolutely LOVE that everyone on this board ARE supportive of each other. We are very good at constructive critism.

Yey! It's Friday. TGIF, right? The weekend hit right when I REALLY needed it. Tough day yesterday... (school issues...I'm having to crack down on the kids and they're flat out mad at me... <sigh>)

Have a great weekend everyone! Gotta go to the barn now!