Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Dressage Chit Chat Thread #24

The colic was the easy part! :happy0203: I'm more worried about his eye. It is quite nasty and a lot of stitches in it. Keeping it clean and him from rubbing it will be a challenge. I tried putting a fly mask on it and he had a fit. It's still to swollen and sore. So at least I know he won't rub it while it's sore!

Poor Beau! Jingles for a full recovery. [Angel] And best wishes to Boocoo for a good pony while he recuperates. :)

The boys are settling in at the new place. We loaded up the trailer with the first load, Sam and Fessor, at about 7:10 this morning. About half an hour later we got to the barn, unloaded the boys, put them in their stalls, and gave them some hay. Fessor sniffed the shavings twice, then promptly peed. I swear he does that to claim his territory! When I left for my morning class, Fessor had been introduced to the barn owner and primary worker and was munching his hay. Eli and Cash came in the second load since their owner has a more flexible morning schedule than H. and I do.

I went down for lunch to see how everyone was settling in. Cash was fine out in the pasture, and the three geldings in their stalls were nice and relaxed. They alternated between dozing and munching on some more hay. I was pleased to see Fessor had shavings in his tail and ears -- a clear sign that he lay down for awhile! And I could see that he had drunk some water and pooped in the stall. So all major functions seem to be working fine. Sam and Eli were willing to be petted a bit, but were quite happy to just doze. The three boys were going out this afternoon and should be out now. I'll need a picture of that... Fessor will look SMALL out with the two of them. Sam and Eli are both 18Hh+, and Fessor is 15.3Hh. :D The horses are going to *love* daily turnout.

I'm hoping to get some pictures this week. And if the weather warms up a bit, I'll get Fessor out on the trails in the adjoining park for a change of pace.

Tracy

Boocoo - I hope Beau feels better soon! You're right, at least he was on his way to the vet when he gashed his eye, but jeeeeez, talk about a bad day [Huggy]

TracyA - Sounds like the ponies are in horsey heaven! Awesome :)

Sylves - How cool that Chad's parents live so close and have a barn to boot! I know you'd love to jave Jag at home, but I think you have the next best thing! Plus, you know somebody responsible is always aroud to keep an eye on him. Very nice :smilie:

LST - Dang you're busy! Too bad the saddle didn't fit... but on the bright side, sleeping in is nice! Wish I could do that one of these days... er, weeks even? I'm busy too.

Beckham03 - I am so sad to hear about the horses around you [Me Cry] I seriously don't know how I could see that happening and not do something, but it sounds like you're trying and what the $#*! can you do? Glad you fed them, at least. Hopefully you can do more. [Huggy]

So I was stuck working ALL weekend and didn't get to ride. I feel like it's been ages, but it's only been three days. I try not to let X go that long without getting ridden usually, though. I'm going to ride today (yay!) after I finish up with work. It's a gorgeous day, so I'm really looking forward to it.

Hope everybody has a great day/evening/etc!!

Thanks everyone for the well wishes for Beau. When I got home from work, his eye was even bigger poor guy. It is the size of a softball at this time. The Vet. said it would be, so no suprise there. He can barely see out of his eye on that side. He had pooped twice and urniated twice as well, so I fed him a small ration of his feed and gave him a small amount of hay. He is very happy to be eating again. I will give him another small feeding before bed and again tomorrow a.m. Then he can be back on normal ration tomorrow night.

Tracy glad Fessor is settling in well. The park sounds awesome. I really need to do more of that myself. I am thinking about getting an Aussie stock saddle for that purpose.

E.S. to bad you had to work all day. Why did I think you were at a show last weekend? [Duh]

OMG Boocoo!!! What a day...and poor Beau's eye!! I am glad everything is going better now! Winston is the gas colic king. I always have a ton of Banamine on hand and you can tell because he lays on his side and moans. I give him Banamine, he sleeps, farts, and all is well. It happens a lot when the clover is out. I am surprised Beau didn't walk it out on his own since he has the ability to go in and out and is more stoic:-) I used racehorse blinders on Winston when he layed his eye open...you might try that if the fly mask doesn't work...

ES-Well, hopefully something will work out with the horses since I have the neighborhood in an uproar. I through them some hay tonight and saw hillbilly had his horse trailer out, who knows what he is up to. There are some dogs involved in this mess as well. Now I am the neighborhood trouble maker...just feed your animals or don't have them!! Sorry, it is been a long week:-) You should get some pics of you in your new saddle.

Sylves-Yes, Shelby has her days:-) She is too smart for her own good and has had the tar beat out of her in the past...so everytime she does something bad she really freaks out because she thinks you will beat her. She is regularly seen by the chiro, is on regumate, and is getting her hocks done Friday. I got her from an old trainer who has known Shelby before and after she was damaged. She does great if you work her really hard, but she is insecure and normal riding around the house makes her crazy...so she is weird, good at shows and bad at home:-) But yesterday was just odd because she has been doing awesome and was good today. She bites at her blanket when you put it on and got me. (It still hurts.) I also just bought her a hackamore to help with her insecurity at home...when she feels weak in a movement or nervous, she grabs the bit and at the same time, hates to feel trapped, so we'll see if that helps. So yes, she is something else, but I have had some amazing rides on her...in really hard clinics with hard German trainers she will go till she drops...she is very talented. The thing is, with a horse like this, I learn something new everyday about horses!

So, I had my class today and the prof is cool...except that after I bought the text book he tells us we don't need it because he gives us all we need, ahg. Then I had a great ride on Beckham...working hard on keeping him on the outside rein...I can completely give him the inside rein now and he stays. It has also helped his lateral work. No class tomorrow...need to get my oil changed and go to the grocery store; neither of which I like to do:-)

Well Beckham, I wondered if it might be the grass that is down in his bottom pasture right now. Although, I don't let him down there all day long, and when I do let him down there it's not for very long. Like maybe 10 to 15 min. But that might have just done it. Beau was standing in the corner of his paddock, outside his barn, with a back foot cocked, when I got down there this a.m. Then he stretches his nose all the way to his front hoof, which is stretched way out. He has only colicked on me twice now, including today, the first time was 5 years ago, and I think he may have been ok? But I didn't have any banamine or anything else for that matter, so I just hauled him up there and laid his eye open for him! [Duh] I am really bummed about it. But not much I can do now, except get him healed up. If he were to become chronic about it, I would definitely keep banamine on hand, that's for sure. We went down there and fed him some treats right now and made sure his eye is staying clean. I thought about race horse blinkers for him. There is a tack shop right down the road that sells them, but I don't think I could even get that on his head right now. Beau has always been real funny about his head anyway, and now his eye is so huge and he was getting pissed off at me for looking at it to much! I can twitch him if I have to, but sure would rather just leave hiim alone. I am thinking when the swelling goes down some more, in a day or 5, I might get one of those and put it on him.

Beckham, glad the class went well. You can always use the text book for reference. Beckham sounds like he did a great job today. Shelby has her issues, like Beau. I can so totally relate!!! I know what you mean about always learning something with difficult horses. Hence my signature!!! :happy0203: I hate going to the grocery also. I have my hubby change my oil, so that's not so bad!

Yikes Boocoo! Poor guy...did he pass the oil yet? Crossing my fingers that he feels better

Sylves- wow didn't know you met him on eHarmony. Cool for you and glad that everything worked out! I don't know if I could fly that route...but that's just me! Interesting enough today in my communcations course...we had to figure out what animals each one of us would represent...and I was a cat. Described as Very independent...couldn't care less about others going ons...but am extremely watchful and apparently I'm self confident? Not sure about that last bit....but hey!

ES- ick. working all week! Hope you get a ride in soon!

Sorry everyone else I'll reply but ya'll are off my page. hehe.

BUSY. Had so much stuff due in 2 days! Had a paper and test yesterday. Test today in HR management and a speech in communications class. Thought I was going to crash and burn in the speech, but I felt like it went over really well. My speech itself was clear w/ no fumbling at all. Quite happy with it...then professor picked me out as an example to follow for other speeches! WHOA! Normally I'm a bumbling red faced fool. Not a bad day! Scotch was excellent today as well! Still working on more angle in HI and becoming more prompt in the canter/walk transistion. But overall not too bad! Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Edited by 3DayEventer

Well he had a very dirty behind when I got home yesterday afternoon and had two piles of poo and was very hungry. I fed him a small ration at 4:30 and another small ration at 8:30 and this a.m. he had cleaned up everything and was really hungry again. So I gave him more hay and most of his Strategy and will feed him two more times today, then back to normal ration tomorrow, which is free choice coastal and his Strategy twice a day. His eye actually looked better this a.m. The bleeding had stopped and it just seemed better, even though it is still HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks C.S.A.

I am still trying to catch up on this board!

So Sylves, you met Chad on E-harmony! How cool is that? I never thought those things worked. I did a singles service thing once, before I started dating my husband and met a guy, who was quite handsome, a great dancer and loved to get into fist fights every time we went out! [shocked] And he wasn't a young man either. He was probably in his mid 30's at the time, quite a bit older than I was, although that never bothered me. Anyway, needless to say, after about the 5th fight, I walked out of a night club one night and left him there! [ROTFL] I think he was still very bitter about his divorce, ya think? 4 months later I started dating my husband and we were married within 8 months. Been together now for 17 years!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best thing that ever happened to me, then our son of course. I have always had horses, 33 years now and that's how I met him, was through horses.

3day, congrats on your speech and being an example!!! I knew you could do it. You go girl!!!!! [Yay]

Edited by Boocoo

Just a note for anyone who is interested... John Lyons is the featured presenter this weekend at the Iowa Horse Fair. The fair runs Friday afternoon through Sunday and is located at the state fairgrounds. If you happen to be in the area, let me know. :) And check out the horse fair!

Tracy

Oh my gosh, SYLVES, I met my fianc? on eHarmony! I think it's great and have heard a lot of success stories. It's pretty amazing? we have the best time together and are absolutely perfect, but chances are I wouldn't have picked him out of a crowd for myself. I think Dr. Warren just *knows* :winking:

Boocoo - Glad Beau's doing better. I had a horse gash his eye in a trailer once and he also needed stitches. I was worried he's tear it open itching, but he left it alone, so hopefully Beau will do the same.

3Day - Nice work with the speech, and Scotch! Good day :)

Beckham - Shelby sounds like a challenge - glad she has you to help her work though her issues. How long have you had her? Hopefully she'll start to see that it's not all that bad with you. Sounds like things are going really well with Bekham!

So I got out for a quick ride yesterday and Echo was awesome! She was really forward and light and just overall felt great. I think maybe she needed a few days off to chill out and relax those muscles she's been working so hard lately, so it's probably a good thing I was swamped with work over the weekend!

Dating service vs/ Eharomny...

Yep, I met Chad on Eharmony! It was an excellent experience!

I also tried the dating service; I was matched with some older 40 yr old (mind you, I was only 28) who smoked and who didn't really seem to care about his son from his previous marriage....yeah, like that date lasted long! I couldn't wait to get away from the guy.

Then I met some freak who seemed cool at the restaurant, but at the end of the date, he begged me - REPEATEDLY- to spend the night at his house... ummmm, NO! Then the freak kept calling me. Thank goodness he didn't know where I lived! I was absolutely NOT impressed with the dating service.

Oh, and the funniest thing about the dating service; they wanted to charge me $10,000 for a lifetime of matches and "only" $750 for two months worth of matches. I was like, "you've gotta be kidding me!" I talked the girl into letting me pay only $75 for a month's worth of 3 or more matches. Ha,ha, after the two matches, I didn't even follow through with the third match. The dating service was a complete joke.

Now, Eharmony was a GOOD experience... I paid $30 for a month's subscription, and as I was closing my account (I had met some great guys, and I figured I could take what I gained and go on my own from there), I found that there was a new match- it was Chad. When I read that Chad liked to spend his free time with his horses, I clicked the "fast track" button and he responded that night. We got to know each other on the phone; we talked for hours on end. We decided to meet at the NE Horse Expo (after two months of getting to know each other over the phone). Simply put, Chad and I just CLICKED. I believe God brought us together.

We were matched on Eharmony 1/05, we met face to face 3/05 and we married 10/05! It was the best decision I have ever made.

Boocoo, I am so happy that Beau is feeling better. Poor guy- everyone having to mess with his ouchy eye. This must be traumatic for him. With Beau's eye on the mend, will you have to cancel any big events? Chad warned me to not turn Jag out on the grass until the grass matures. I always knew that the fresh Spring grass was dangerous for ponies (founder), but I always thought the larger horses could take it better in increments (at least) ... Not so, says Chad. He told me that even 10-20 minutes of grazing this grass could possibly cause a colic... ouch!

ES, That is so cool that you also met on Eharmony! Isn't it the best?! Chad's brother met his wife on EH, and as a Christmas gift, they bought Chad a month's subscription to EH. He said that his first match was me! Chad was my last match. Another cool thing to share: my parents had some guests over for dinner one evening (they were old college buddies), and my mom told the guests about how I met Chad. The couple laughed hysterically when they heard that I met my husband on EH. They explained that they're very close friends with the founder, Dr. Warren! They proceeded to say that he is a VERY good man and that he designed this website with the true intention of bringing compatible people together for truly lasting relationships. Also, the LONG questionnaire (that you fill out when you create your account) is set up to detect lying. People have actually been rejected from EH because the system detected lying. Now that's COOL! ES, would you agree that those commercials for EH are TRUE?! Every single man that I met through EH was a decent individual who shared similar beliefs and a similar outlook on life as me!

Hey Beck, I know what you mean about the textbook- they aren't cheap, and then when you find out that you're not really going to use it... Man, that's a couple hundred you could had spent on lessons or board... Err. Oh well, so goes the life of a graduate student who has to fund her own education. It ain't cheap, that's for sure! As for Shelby, it sounds like the bite was an accident? It's more than just "mareness;" it's the fact that she was mistreated at one time. That makes sense. Keep plugging away with her. Hopefully she'll start to settle down. As for the mini, I believe you're doing the right thing. If the others think of you as the trouble maker, they'll just have to get over it. What's more important is that the mini is getting the nurishment that he needs... pure guy!

CSA, How's it goin'? Did your husband like his gift, or has he not received it yet? Are you planning anything for the birthday? I am so bad about birthdays, unless it's for my daughter. The best I have done for Chad on his birthday was an apple pie slice while riding in the combine harvesting the beans... Yeah, his b-day falls right in the beginning of harvest and my b-day falls right in the middle of planting. I wasn't thinking, because our wedding anniversary falls right in the MIDDLE of harvest, but so far, his father lets him have the evening off so that we can go out for the anniversary.

Eventer, I just LOVE it when everything falls into place for a test, presentation or project. I worry, worry, and worry up until the moment it's due, and some take flight, and some bomb really quickly. I am happy for you! Keep up the good work!

Tracy, It sounds like that new barn is a winner! The kids sound happy in their new home! Is the horse fair this weekend? That's about a four hour drive for us... and Lyons is the REAL McCoy- not just a NH disciple. He's the real deal. I'd love to see him... Four hours... Hummm. We also have to drive up to Worthington, MN to see our new nephew (born on 3/26)... Hummm. It's supposed to be pretty yucky weather, so I probably wouldn't get much riding in... hummm... I don't know; we'll see, and I'll let you know if we decide to make the trip to Des Moines!

I went into work this morning to help out with the preschool; I took Shannon along. She had a blast playing with the four year olds! We got home, I made her a little lunch, and I put her down for a nap. She JUST finally fell asleep. I'm now waiting for the Chiro to call me; she is planning to drive here today to work on Jag. I am looking forward to her visit.

Have a better day today Boocoo. Hopefully that new "worm" hasn't attacked any of your school computers... I think our comps are all UTD for Windows Security updates... Crossing my fingers our computers aren't effected...

Edited by Sylves

Dating service vs/ Eharomny...

ES, would you agree that those commercials for EH are TRUE?! Every single man that I met through EH was a decent individual who shared similar beliefs and a similar outlook on life as me!

Totally, although I only dated one other guy from there. He was a good person and we were very compatible, but we didn't have the wonderful, complete 'click' going (I feel bad, because I think he thought we did. When he wanted to introduce me to his mother after a couple of months of dating, I had to say no, because in my gut I knew it wasn't going to work, so I broke up with him instead. Ouch.). My fianc? was the second and final person I dated from EH; I am the ONLY person he dated from there. We've been together for over two years now and (as you can see in my siggy) we are engaged!!! I could not be happier - he is the most phenomenal person I've met in my life! He adores my daughter too, and is 100% supportive of my riding (he is just as passionate about golf, so he understands). I couldn't recommend EH more, and don't hesitate to tell people that's where we met. They are usually surprised, and say, "Why did you guys need eHarmony?" - It's not like that. We could have both easily gone out on plenty of dates without eHarmony, but we wanted something more.

I had also tried Match.com briefly, and had some craziness like you in the dating service. No, thank you! lol

Anyway, enough of my personal info! That's very cool that your parents' guests know Dr. warren! I can totally believe that he's in it for the right reasons. That's funny too, about people not being accepted after filling out the questionaire. I know somebody who wasn't, but I didn't know why. Eek... guess she was lying!

Alright, now time for me to catch up-again ha ha.

Boocoo- I'm glad to see that Beau's eye is healing and hope nothing else happens ha ha.

3DayEventer-Congrats on the speech! I love my speech class. I don't do too well but I still love it ha ha. I feel ya on the loads of homework. I had 3 (!!!) papers due today, all for the same class. It didn't help that my group members can't communicate properly so I don't know who has done what for this project ha ha.

e.s.dressage- That's my thinking, everything happens for a reason ha ha. I'm glad Echo was good!

So today (this week) could have gone better. This one guy in my class, who also happens to be my partner for world religions, is being a complete and total (word I can't say). Ugh. He's bitter/mad that I don't like him back and has resorted to a 3rd grader's mentality while around me.

We have a big project due tomorrow and has he helped me at all? Nope. So I didn't get to ride Thumper today and tomorrow it's supposed to be icky. Wonderful.

So tomorrow I'm talking to my teacher and explaining things and telling her that I will not work with this petulant guy. I mean, yesterday he even said that I should go try out for the TV show "Biggest Loser". What an ***. -_- I know I'm not skinny but I am not obese. :rolleye0014:

On a happier note however, I rode Thumper yesterday and he was perfect. Really round, really through, really soft. Ah, it was heaven ha ha. I don't think he has ever done trot serpentines as beautifully as yesterday. And then the canter. I actually felt him wrap around my inside leg and really step under himself. It was awesome!

I can't wait for the weekend though, I have a show on Sunday(!)

3Day-Congrats on your speech. It sounds like it went really well.

SDR-Good luck at the show.

Tracy-Glad to hear everyone is settling in ok.

ES-Sounds like a good ride. A couple days off is sometimes a good thing.

Sylves-How did the chiro visit go? How old is Shannon? It sounds like she had a fun day.

Np npthing on the pic yet. I was told it could take 2-3 weeks. So I am tying to wait patiently. I am kind of excited to see it.Not planning anuthing for hubby's Bday. I usually make one of his fav dinners or take him out. Unfortunatley my mom passed away the day after his Bday a few years back. He understands it is not the best time of the year for me.

I have had enough of this rain stuff. Ot seems like every other day it is raining. I have to wash Cheese's winter blankets yet. I hang them outside to dry but this weather is not coroperating. I have a lesson in the morning. Got to go to work.

Sylves, the match making thing I did was all via telephone message. We didn't all have the internet back then. It wasn't very expensive either, but I kept meeting duds. I decided I was going to be single forever and all I needed was my horse when I met my husband!!

Yeah, the fresh spring grass can cause founder and colic, I have always known that, but Beau has been grazing back there for quite some time now. However, we did just have a bunch of rain. I was always told to just let them back there for a while each day and he is never back there for more than 20 min. but that could have been long enough, I guess. Now I will have to start all over since I am keeping him confined to his paddock till his eye is better. He was much better about me washing it today, but it is still HUGE and he is quite ouchy. I just kept feeding him a bunch of treats. He is so funny about his head and now this! He is back up to full ration of food and he was hungry when I got home from work today. He is used to having hay 24/7.

I am not going to have to cancel anything, thank goodness. I am not scheduled for a lesson till the 11th and I am sure by then I will be riding him and be able to take him. I'll play that one by ear. Otherwise, I have a show May 2nd & 3rd and he'll be fine by then. I will start riding him just as soon as he can see out of that eye again. That will mean the swelling has mostly subsided and as long as I know he is not in any great pain.

Thanks SDR. I hope nothing else happens either!!

Edited by Boocoo

SDR, that comment about "The Biggest Loser" really went over the line. I don't know what could be done about it at college, but lem-me tell you, if a kid said something like that at my school, I would personally see to it that the kid have some severe negative consequences. It's a form of bullying, and in the adult world, it could be considered harassment. When you approach your teacher/professor about this, put your best foot forward; stand tall and proud, look the teach/prof in the eyes and state that you were highly offended by your partner's comment, and with your chin up and looking confident, state that you would like her/him to reconsider a partner for you in the future. I hope it goes okay...

ES, I also didn't need Eharmony, but it was definitely a helpful tool. I do beleive that if it weren't for EH, I'd be living with guy and not truly happy. Relationships WERE work before I went the EH route. EH paired me up with the RIGHT person. I also went on a date with a guy from EH before meeting Chad. While we were compatiable, we definitely didn't click. The red flag for me was when we had planned an afternoon in the park in Omaha, and I wanted to take along Champ, he asked that Champ not go in his car... I explained to him that Champ comes with the package, and if he doesn't accept that, then perhaps we shouldn't waste each other's time. That was the end of THAT! Chad, on the other hand, has accepted Champ into his home and heart (kind of...) :grin:

CSA- the chiro didn't show up yesterday... <sad>. I've been trying to get through to her on the phone, but her voice box is full and she's not answering. We sent an email yesterday; she'll need to call Chad so that he can be at the barn if she shows up today (I'm at work...). Honestly, though, I'm a little concerned that something happened to the chiro, Rachel. I hope she didn't get in an accident... <worried>. Shannon, my little angel is going to be two next month! She is the sweetest little thing. Her "terrible two's" really isn't so bad, knock on wood! I know that impatient feeling when you're waiting for something important. I remember having to wait a couple months for my wedding flowers to be freeze-dried and arranged in a frame. I called the shop almost everyday, "Is it ready yet? I could drive down there today and pick it up :-)" So many times I got a, "Well, it's not ready yet, it should be done next week..." <sigh> That went on for a couple months. It was very difficult for me to be patient, lol. I'm sorry about the timing of your mother's passing and your husband's birthday. That would be a definite damper on things. I don't want to imagine my mother passing... period. It's a very sad thought...

Boocoo, phew, that's good to know that this injury to the eye won't cause you to have to cancel an important show or clinic (although life IS like that sometimes... I had to cancel my first prelim HT because of my horse's illness... and that was my only chance ever to go prelim...). I hope nothing else happens with him. Beau is in good hands :-)

I'm working on yet ANOTHER Jag video. We had a pretty fantastic ride yesterday, although Boocoo, I still need to follow your advice and shorten the stirrups some more; my leg looked a little loose (even though it felt effective?).

Edited by Sylves

Sylves, if your leg felt good you might simply be seeing a relaxed leg. My trainer frequently tells me that I need floppy leg syndrome. Think of it this way -- a consistent leg will need to maintain consistent feel against the side of the horse. And the side of the horse is moving. If the leg is too still, it often means the rider is HOLDING the leg still. Let Jag tell you if your leg is ok or too loose.

I had a good first ride at the new stables on Fessor yesterday. He was just coming in from turnout when I arrived, so I figured he'd be nice and calm. Just to be sure, I lunged him for a few minutes to make sure we had a brain. Then, we got on and rode on down to the outdoor. Fessor was fantastic! I was a bit keyed up, so initially I just walked on a fairly loose rein and focused on my breathing. Once I was a bit calmer, I just focused on rhythm and relaxation. We didn't do anything too intense, but worked at all three gaits and tryed some lengthened trot (sitting). He didn't seem to care about the bicycles on the trail nearby or the man yelling for his dog to come. And our canter work was better than it has been in awhile. Yay for full sized arenas to work in!

I am very pleased with how soft and relaxed Fessor looks at the new place. He settled right in, and was laying down and relaxing on his first day there. So far, the people I've met are quite friendly. So I'm hoping this continues to work well. It's SO nice to be close enough to stop by over lunch. :) Now if I can just get a job nailed down... This argues in favor of finding something in or near Des Moines so I can keep Fessor where he is.

Tracy

Yeah Sylves, it's always disappointing to have to cancel things. In the spring of 2007 I canceled 4 shows in 4 months. Two rated and two schooling. That's when I was having trouble finding a shoer to fix Beaus crushed heels. One shoer made it worse and he got to the point where he wouldn't even walk without crow hopping! That's when I got off him, canceled my next show and vowed I would not show again till I found a shoer to fix his feet. That fall I took him back to a rated show and won AA Reserve Champion!!! We have been working on his feet ever since. His heels are pretty much crushed, but we can make him comfortable enough that he is working really well now.

Yesterday when I got home, his eye was swollen shut. Today he can see out of about the bottom 1/4" or so and the swelling is noticeably going down. The Vet. said it would heal fast and it sure seems like it is. He is a bit better about letting me wash it off for him now as well. Course he is getting lots and lot of treats in the process! :tongue9: Nah, he's not a spoiled, pampered pony, now is he? [bat Eyelashes]

Edited by Boocoo

Beck, Slumdog? :happy0203:

Ok, we'll let you slide, but I am looking forward to your comments on Sylves latest video that she posted!!

Gah getting left behind is not fun!

Wow ES you met your fiance on EHarmony too! Neat!

Sylves- As do I. I just like when I don't turn red and get completely scared. I felt pretty self confident that day..and I have no idea why! I'm too scared to post my videos! LOL. I actually have one from this past summer...and have one from a ride a few weeks ago. I'll have to go check out your new video! Jag is looking better and better!

Boocoo- Poor boy! Hope his eye heals up quickly!

CSA- how's the Cheese girl doing??

StopDropandRoll- Oyy sounds interesting w/ the boy. I would turn violent. heheheh Are you still in HS? My communcations class is interesting. The professor is CRAZY! But oh well. Good luck at your show!! Jumping? Dressage?

Beckham- GOOD MOVIE! I just watched Changling last night. Sad :( But inspiring

Not much is new here.....I found the pair of boots I will be buying for myself once I save up the extra cash. I did find them online for a lot cheaper than what Rick's has them priced at. Oy Vey. AND only 3 more weeks till Rolex! Woohoo! And then I'm almost done w/ this semester...last week of april and I'm done! Pretty stoked!

Okay, I am drinking my coffee and thought I would catch up:-) Slumdog was a great movie; I highly recommend it!!

Sylves-So all of this talk about how people met their husbands, I will add mine:-) I met him at a Columbus Crew soccer game. He had season tickets in the same area I did and I thought he was cute. I then met him at a tailgate and we went out to another bar after a big game. He was an OSU student at the time. He got a job in another city and we dated long distance until we got married in 2002. We lived there for 3 years, then moved back to Columbus in 2005. He was not a huge animal person when we got married...he did have a cat and I had a cat, a dog, and Winston. My dog passed away not long after we married and we added Buddy...and lets just say we are up to 2 dogs, 5 house cats, 3 barn cats, and 3 horses...hahahahaha! My farm is next door to my parents, so we will always be near them. I told them I am putting up a wall!!

ES-I hope you get some time off this weekend to ride! We are still waiting on pics of that new saddle:-)

Tracy-So happy to hear about the barn move!!! It sounds great! Waiting for some new pics from you too!

Boocoo-Glad to hear Beau is on the mend...they do live to give us heart attacks you know! I am sure you will be back to riding in no time. It is hard to tell what makes them colic sometimes...could have been the grass. Everything changes so much this time of year, grass, weather...ahg.

3Day-School is kicking my butt too. Organic Chemistry, ahg!!!!

CSA-Get any rides in between work this week?

Equine Affair is going on and I don't really have time to go. The girls from the barn have been going to watch Steffan Peters. I have the vet coming to finish vaccines and inject hocks this morning, so no time for me:-) I want to get Shelby back in work and am anxious to ride Winston more. I am going to try to set up my camera for you guys tomorrow and get some video...it is supposed to be the nicest day of the weekend!

I better head out...lots to do!!

It is an exciting time to be from Iowa. Today, the Iowa Supreme Court struck down the law limiting marriage to between a man and a woman. Iowa is now the fourth state to allow gay marriage, and the only midwestern state to do so. The decision was unanimous!

I haven't seen the story hit the national news yet, but all the local news outlets are reporting the decision!

Tracy

Boocoo-So how is Beau? At least you don't have to cancel anything.

Sylves-Wait a few more month. My nieces terrible two are just kicking in and she is 2 1/2. This is the stage I love the fact I can walk away with only feeling slightly guilty.I watched your latest vid. You guys are improving so much.

Beck-That is a bummer you can't make Equine Affair. I can't wait for the video.I love learning by seeing everyone's vids and pics.

3Day- Cheese is good. We had a fantastic ride yesterday. So of course it has got to rain today. We better be seeing pics from Rolex.

Tacy-Sounds like the new place is working out.I hope you get more chances to ride. Good luck at finding a job close by. That would suck having to move again.

I had a wonderful lesson yesterday. The trainer was a half hour late. I had asked her to print some info on a show we are planning to do. Well she had printer issues. So since I caused iher being late I can't complain. So Cheese had a long warm up. Well her walk was fantastic. So I started adding asome shoulder fore. We also schooled the leg yeild. I had let her get away with not listening to the leg. Well it spilled over to our western I decided enough was enough. So I started demanding it. Cheese gets the benefit of the doubt that I am messing up idoing dressage. I need to a bit more demanding of the things that she know. I just don't want to get after her to much if I am screwing up.

Well by lesson time her walk was solid. So we did a lot of trot work. Well if I could get my hands were they are suppose to be Cheese would be great. I have a tendancy to drop and bear down with the rein. When I was corrected and brought the hand up Cheese went right onto the bit in a nice frame. The lesson went so well we got to canter. The canter wasn't to bad.I just got to remember to keep my leg under me and weight towards the inside. Poor Cheese was tired after that. I felt it when I woke up for work last night. We both get the day off today because of rain.

Beck, I think your right, they do live to give us heart attacks. To bad about Equine Affaire. I still don't know why they don't have one in TX???? I went to one once in Pomona, CA.

C.S.A. glad you had such a good lesson on Cheese today.

Beau seemed fine this a.m. It was still kind of dark. I am hoping his eye is a little more open when I get home from work today. About 3 more hours! Argh, can I make it? Still not sure when I am going to put him back to work? Maybe a light longe session by Sunday? I am playing it be ear.

SOme lovely weather is rolling in tonight <sigh>. I don't know if I'll get to ride tonight. Last night we wormed Jaggar. Tonight I have to help my husband get a tractor from the shop. Jaggar may be getting a nice break... At least we left on a nice note; that last ride was so enjoyable!

Maybe I'll comprimise and lunge Jag, and then help hubby with the tractor...

Boocoo, glad to read that Beau seems to be recovering. Perhaps all of this will have some lasting effect; maybe he'll be less ear/head shy and maybe it will make your bond with him stronger? There's always the positive with the negative.

CSA, it sounds like a great lesson! You two have come a long way! Oh, and I'm knockin' on wood, with regards to my daughter and the terrible twos. She's pretty impossible at church, but that's about it...

Tracy, I haven't heard of the new ruling for Iowa with regards to marriage. It is SOO conservative where I am; I'm surprised too. I am glad that the barn is working out so well! It sounds like it's a true winner, espeically if the thought of having to move away for a job is unappealing. Gosh, you'd think there would be plenty of job opportunities in your area, yeah? :-)

Beck, Oh, how nice it would be to sit down and watch a movie... Hummm. Maybe Chad and I should give it a try tonight... I can put baby in her crib and we can watch a DVD on the laptop in our bedroom... oh yes, our house is THAT small! <rolls the eyes>

Okay, it's at the end of the day, and all of the teachers have left the building. It's time for me to go HOME!

Edited by Sylves