Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Dressage Chit Chat Thread #24

Boocoo, glad to read that Beau seems to be recovering. Perhaps all of this will have some lasting effect; maybe he'll be less ear/head shy and maybe it will make your bond with him stronger? There's always the positive with the negative.

No, unfortunately with Beau, he has a memory like an elephant. He will be more head shy if anything else. I usually just leave his head alone. I brush it daily and he's fine with that and he's fine with clipping as well. He also offers me head hugs every day before I get on him. He just doesnt' want you coming at his head with your hand, nor does he want to be yanked around by his head. But I have learned how to deal with him in a positive manner, so it's all good!

Ok, the bell just rang, my son should be walking in any time and we will be out of here very soon.

As for a possible movie, we bought "Cloverfield" and (a movie for munchkin) "Spirit" (you know, the animated horse movie!). Even if the weather insists on blizzarding (is that a word?), we'll have something to entertain ourselves... <sigh> Poor SerahRose up there in South Dakota where they're supposed to get about a foot of snow along with lovely blizzard conditions... Those farmers up there are seriously concerned about getting the crops in. With all of the flooding and continual snow, they wonder if they'll get anything planted this Spring.... Oh, the wrath of God rains down...

Edited by Sylves

Ah hah, we popped in "Spirit" for Shannon; let's just say it's a winner! Shannon was ew'ing and ah'ing and giggling and ut-oh'ing... And she keeps saying, "Gagger" (that's what Jaggar's name is in baby language, lol). It's so adorable.

We're in a blizzard warning, and it is 38 degrees and NOT even raining. I'm telling ya, the weatherman is playing an April Fool's joke on us!

Edited by Sylves

Ooh, Sylves, Spirit is one of my daughter's favorite movies as well! We have kind of a tradition of having a "girls' night" together every once in a while, popping in Spirit and cleaning tack. It's fun :)

It's great weather here, but I'm on the second phase of that project that kept me in all last weekend, so I'm in the office and not out riding. Bleh. But I think this time I'll have some time tomorrow to ride, and my daughter is going to come take pics if that happens. Yay! Next weekend she has a big state-wide Taekwondo tournament, so we'll be heading to Phoenix and staying overnight there. No riding (again) that weekend, but lots of fun rooting for my little martial arts master!! :tongue9:

I have a lesson on Thursday. Can't wait! I should get at least a couple of rides in between now and then. Still working away on those transitions. Echo's getting pretty awesome at her upward transitions, but the downward ones are still kinda funky.

No snow yet, but by gosh, we're in a blizzard warning! What's up with that? It's 45 degrees out, and a little windy... okay "a little windy" is an understatement. But, still NO PRECIPITATION. Not funny, Mr. Meteorologist, not funny at all!

Blizzard! OH no! I'm currently looking out the window on a beautiful sunny day. I hope that you don't see any snow Sylves! Ick!

Cloverfield? I have never heard of it? What is it about and who plays in it?

So I'm debating on whether I want to post the transistional phase of our ride from a few weeks ago. It's one step forward two steps back. I just read in Dressage Today on someone calling 2nd level the black hole of levels. Which I heartily concur too. Well if any of you want to see the ponyboy at one of our worst stages. Let me know. haha!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I am heading out to the barn before the barn to ride before that crappy weather comes here:-( I am taking the camcorder with me, so hopefully I will get some video and will catch up more later.

3-Day-I agree with that black hole comment:-) I want to see video!!!

ESD, I think Spirit is Shannon's new favorite movie! We've now seen it twice...and I'm already beginning to memorize the scenes/script. She is so into the movie. I pictured you and your daughter (just a generic mom and daughter) sitting in front of the TV with Spirit on, tack all spread out on the floor, a bowl of popcorn... Life is good!

Eventer, we watched Cloverfield last night (on our laptop in the bedroom so that munchkin could sleep undisturbed). Let's just say, I'm happy to live in the country, FAR away from any big city where sky scrapers topple over and mobs of city people run you over during major catastrophes. The movie had me in suspence, wondering what was going to happen next. There were some pretty shocking moments. The end of the movie left me thinking, "omgosh, what would I do if I were in that situation...?" The ending is touching and scary at the same time... Oh, and I think you should post that video! I watched some footage of you and Scotch on youtube. You two are really good!

Beck, Hah, the blizzard WAS a joke! They were saying we'd get somewhere in the ballpark of 10-18 inches of snow with blizzard conditions... Not even! We got a dusting of snow with visibility of about a mile. The sun came out about noon today, and all of the snow melted. This system rolling in isn't much to speak of, unless of course, it fuels up over the great lakes...That's awesome that you're going to video tape your ride! Hopefully you'll share it with us. Enjoy the nice weather...

I would had gone out to ride this afternoon, but I woke up with a yucky cold, so I think I better stay inside. I don't feel like going to work with the cold... I want to let my body fight the virus now, and NOT tomorrow... so I'm going to stay home. I'm sure Jag won't mind the extra day off...

Edited by Sylves

Well, we are under a thunderstorm watch and it keeps pooping out, so that is good! It is supposed to get cold the next 2 days, but no blizzards called for here! Probably no riding either though!

Boocoo-Did Beau's eye go down this weekend? Are you back to riding yet?

3-Day-Waiting on that video:-)

ES-Glad you are having good weather! Do you take lessons every week? Looks like my lesson will be rained out this week...I don't have an indoor. As the warm weather progresses, that will be less and less of an issue:-)

Sylves-So no blizzard, huh? One of my friends dates the most popular weatherman around here and I love to give him grief. You should hear what people say to him in public...but they all like to act like they know him.

So, got a nice ride in with my mom and my friend. Warmed Beckham up and had to keep getting off and getting on my mom's horse, ahg. Anyway, turned the camera on and did a little show...went to turn it of and it was already off. So turned it back on and got back on and Mr. B wasn't happy, but got a short clip anyway. Then we went for a nice gallop in the field across the road:-) So, it should be done by now...excuse his tubbiness...we are working on it.

Had the vet Friday. Winston and Shelby got their hocks done. Poor Winston's are pretty bad...arthritic. But, he does well and goes galloping out every morning. He still enjoys light riding. Shelby's were great and was looking forward to putting her back to work this week...but will have to wait until the snow melts, *sigh*. Got to get the entries sent in for Beckham for the May 9th show. Need a few more training level scores to finish his certificate of performance and hope to do 1-1 in June.

Well, got to get some stuff done...have the farrier early in the morning!!

Hah hah, beck, I was laughing at the commentary! That is so cool that your mom rides with you! Beckham looks really good! Gosh, I can't wait for steady, consistant work like that out of Jaggar. It's too bad there isn't such thing as an "auto pilot" camcorder; you know, a camcorder that follows the target, complete with auto focus and zoom! Hum, we should invent it!

Glad to read that the hock injections went well for Shelby, but is Winston doing okay? Was your mom on Winston in the video?

I'm really excited about Ebonee Rose! She seems to have the maturity and ability to do this right. She also has a sweet mare who seems to be a willing partner. Doesn't it feel like you guys just took on another student? Now you have me and Ebonee as your faithful pupils! :-)

Beckham your boy is so cute! I can't wait until my 3-yo is going so nicely. I love raising them myself!

I actually rode both of mine today. I'm trying to teach my mare her flying changes, which is going to be darned difficult. She is a very very complicated horse to ride well, and she counter-canters around the pasture. Changing leads is just not something that comes easily for her, though she can do it. I've seen better riders than myself get them on her. Any magic tips? Right now I am just working on simple changes with lots of changes of direction, and as long as she hasn't seen an interesting blade of grass, I can get just a half-step of walk or trot out of her before she picks up the new lead. Better than a month ago.

I'm having to agree that 2nd is the black hole. Everything about 2nd level just bores me somehow, not in that its easy, its just not in the least bit mentally stimulating to me. Never has been. I like first, and I am liking things about 3rd, and S-I and H-I are great and all that, but its just so... blah.

I haven't had a chance to read all the posts but I'm just giving a quick update before I go to bed ha ha.

I had my shw today, it was a h/j show and everything went awesome. I got a first in eq on the flat, second in hunter-under-saddle (Thumper is definitely not a hunter horse so it's okay ha ha), third in hunter 1 and first in hunter 2.

I was in the midst of my eq over fences class, on my fourth jump to be exact, when Thumper took off from a loooooooooooooong spot and I wasn't prepared for it and ended up falling off because I landed too far ahead, lost my right stirrup, and without that base of support, I was a goner.

The fall itself wasn't that bad but Thumper stepped on my ankle(!!) Fortunately it's not broken, just badly bruised and swollen. Elevation, icing, and painkillers are what the doctors gave me ha ha.

Beckham- Awh he is lovely! What a nice boy you have on your hands! Gosh I would love to show but it is not going to happen anytime soon. This phase is killing us. I need my april dose of Scott. haha. OUCH getting 2 horses injected in one setting...wouldn't want to see that bill. That's so awesome that your mom rides w/ you too! Cool!

Sylves- AHH ok yes I know what movie you are talking about now. Probably something I wouldn't want to watch. eep! I love the movie Spirit...makes me want to go out and rent it. Don't think Jeremy would want to watch it w/ me though. hehe.

StopDropRoll- I just giggle every time I read your name. Sounds like you had a nice show and great placings! Good job! Bummer about the fall though. Whew glad to hear that you are ok and that your ankle isn't broken!! That would not be a good thing!

Scotch has been a pretty good boy the last few days. And I jumped him over some little stuff today. He was a beast...but is taking off on landing and bucking. :indifferent: First time he's jumped in ages. So I'm really looking forward to getting him back into it. I definately need to do it...i would get stuck in my dressage seat. So I need to start back up in 2pt to give myself a reminder that I can still bend over fences. I guess we shall see how he is tomorrow...if he is sound I'll continue introducing small fences and then hopefully have him doing a course again. A friend of mine wants me to do the Boyd Martin clinic...which I would love to do. Just am not sure if a month will get us there. We will see though!

So here's one clip. We are in a serious transistional phase. And this was the worst ride I've had on him in awhile (ride was a couple of weeks ago). Ponyboy is at the point of one step forward two steps back. So don't laugh at us too hard. :)

3day-Haha It sounds like Scotch had a little to much fun. Scotch doesn't look bad at all in the vid. If that is one of the bad times I want to see one of the good times.

SDR-Congrats on the show.The ankle thing sounds painful but at least it isn't broken or sprained. I don't suppose you have any show pics?

Shiloh- I wouldn't stress to much of the half step. Sometimes when watching it is hardly noticeable. Don't go to crazy schooling them. Your mare seems a lot like my mare. To much of a good thing and then she starts getting sloppy. My favorite exercise (western) is turn down center line, change the bend, legyeil, straighten out and sk for a change. I hope I explained iut correctly. It seems easier to ride than explain. I have to keep Cheese's mind in gear with something every stride or she falls on the forehand and rushes the change.Not a good thing while pole bending.

Beck- Nice vid. I have to say your mom's horse looks comfy to ride

Sylves-How you feeling?

ES-If you figure out the trick to the downward transitiong let me know.

So it was a beautiful day yesterday and I didn't ride. I went with my sister down to our grandmom's house for the day. Nothing beats grandmom's cooking. We had stopped off at the local farmer's market and picked up cream puffs for desert. There went my sister's diet for the day.LOL. I had a wonderful time. I really need to go see my grandmom more.

Suppose to get a bunch of rain today. So I think I will go to the barn and give Cheese her West Bile shot today and spoil her a bit. Someone I know is interested in getting lessons. He just want to learn to riede western and relax. So I told I wouldn't mind teaching him but I have to use my sister's hors,Kay. Well Kay hasn't been ridden in a couple years so I have to put a couple of rides on her. So I now have a project horse. She is a sweet little arab that loves attention. I just wish she was at my barn.

3day, Scotch doesn't look that bad, but he does look like he could relax a bit more??? Still, I love that pony. He is so handsome. How do you get his tail to stay so nice all the time?

Well I'm behind, so will just fill in with me and Beau. His eye is open all the way now, although still smaller than the other one. The swelling has gone down a lot. We took out my dressage arena and dragged and ripped it up real good on Sat. Re-measured and put it back together yesterday and then I got Beau out to longe him. He was quite saucy! Course he has had a week off, good feed and it turned quite cool and verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry windy over the weekend. I longed him at walk, trot, walk transitions and then trot, canter. That's when he thought it would be fun to buck, hop, kick and dance all around on the longe line. I don't think so, said I, and kept him moving forward and trying not to laugh. He was quite cute and obviously feeling much better. We did both directions and called it quits. I plan to do the same today and hopefully ride tomorrow. I am really pleased with how well this eye is healing up. The Vet. was right, it's healing very quickly. The incision looks great. I have just been washing it daily with cotton soaked in iodine diluted with water. No ointment yet. I don't want it dripping down into his eye. Once the swelling goes all the way down and the stitches dissolve, I'll put a light layer of ointment on so it won't scar, but I don't think it will anyway, it's healing so nicely.

Hey Boocoo, it's good to read that Beau is feeling better and that you're getting back into the swing of things!

CSA, It will be fun to teach your friend! I found that when I taught riding lessons (beginner levels) I really improved my OWN riding because I was constantly thinking about and teaching the basics (sit up, leg under hip, alignment from ear to heel, straight line from elbow to bit, look up, etc). Have fun working with Kay and your friend!

SDR, It sounds like you had a good day, other than the little mishap at the jump/long spot. I'd hate to think what would happen to me if I was caught off guard, stirrup-less and my horse taking a long spot; I think I'd be a goner too! I've never had a horse step on my ankle; OUCH! It sounds very painful!

Eventer, I don't know, if that's a bad day, then my eyes must be fooling me! You guys look really good. Yes, Scotch may be disagreeing with some of your aids, but he's not putting up too much of a fight, by the looks of it. Who knows, maybe he was feeling a little sore. I think it's rare to have the horse and rider feeling 100% on the same day. If it's any constellation to you, your aids are quiet, your position is awesome, Scotch is trying and he's not disagreeing too badly. You're an awesome rider!

Edited by Sylves

CSA, I do think our mares are a lot alike. Probably why I like yours so much!

With mine, I made the mistake of teaching her counter canter first, when that was easier for her. Now she is convinced she has no need to change leads to change directions. I don't school too much of this, but every time I want to change directions, I do a simple change just to get her used to the idea of changing leads. She has excellent balance in the CC, so in her mind there is no need to change leads. I'm not focused so much on the half step as I am on the idea of changing leads to change directions, and being light and responsive to my aids. Silly girl thinks cantering is just way too much fun!

I've tried the LY. Unfortunately for her, the normal aids to change leads don't really work. She really does require perfection, which can be a PITA. If she ain't happy, its all going to **** in a handbasket.

There's a reason I choose to ride my 3-yo on windy days! Hes so much more forgiving of things that make him uncomfy, like wind, among about 47 other things.

So anyway, don't do as I have done. If your horse is naturally talented in the CC, teach the flying changes first. The whole "CC needs to be taught before the flying change" is not an absolute!

3D, is Scotch a red dun, or do you have him bodyclipped? My eyes like to play tricks on me with video. He is adorable.

And I can see what you mean by having a bad day. He looks like he is just being a bit difficult, but you handled it very well! If that video had been taken yesterday, I would say it must be going around because my mare and my boarder's mare were both being a bit snotty.

shiloh-So will we ever see a pic of your mare? I would love to see a pic of Cheese's long lost relative.LOL.I know what youa re going through with the CC. Until we started dressage and Cheese started using her back a bit her CC was as comfy as the the regular canter. However know her canter is so much better and her CC feels so off balanced.

Don't you love the horses who require you to ride perfectly? I am slowly finding this out. Dang sensitive mare feels everythimg I do wrong. I am just worried that Cheese will use the changing of leads as an excuse to speed up. Just another thing that is fun and exciting.

csa- mmm cream puffs. Hope you can get in a ride this week...though the next few days it is supposed to drop into the 40's! BLEH

Boocoo- Thank you! It's that stage. Making the jump from training level work to 2nd level is a bit of a stretch for him mentally. So the tension for him is to be expected until he's more comfortable and confident. He's the type to be a bit tense and hot...again someone royally screwed him up then decided to put the pooy pony on the slaughter wagon. Terrible! It will be a long process but he is getting more relaxed in the HI and lateral work every time. :) I'm a fanatic about tails! Ever since I did my WS position it has been engrained in my head. So I'm a huge tail person. :) Glad to hear that Beau's eye is healing quickly!! Think there will be any scarring?

Sylves- Thanks!! :) He really is a good little man. He's coming along so that's good! He was in a confused state which again trainer told me to expect it. HI right his the hardest movement for him. So he is quite worried as you can tell! Thanks for the nice compliments! hehe I was pretty pleased with my position so yay! Now I have to work on elevating my hands. But today he had the best HI right so far! Much more willing to put them in and more supple in the bridle. So whew.

Shiloh- He's a red dun and he's body clipped! :) And Thanks! He wasn't being naughty in a sense, the HI is quite new for him and he's a worrier!!! Big time. I like to call it a state of confusion. hehe. Now I want to video tape him again as that video was about 2 plus weeks ago and he's already much more confident!

So sound pony after jumping! Woot! And he was terrific for the most part today. HI is getting better and better! Less worrying which is terrific. ERG Got email from trainer's secretary...he has this Wednesday open but I can't take off. And then he has the 24th open...of course that's the weekend of Rolex. So I can't do the 24th. I really need trainer's eyes again this month....cross your fingers that I can get down there. But May we're heading down for a few days which will be great!

Ok off to get ready for the Business Etiquette dinner...ou vey

Alright, now that I'm not so tired I can get caught up!

Sylves-I agree with you about Ebonee Rose. I haven't posted on her threads or anything but I

have been reading everything and I don't think I have seen a poster on here that takes all

the comments and critiques as well as she does! I can't wait to see how she and Rose do

once she gets some instruction and her mare gets stronger.

Yeah, having Thump stepping on my ankle was definitely not fun but other than that I had a

really good show. It was the first show since I started showing him (two years ago!!!) that I

could actually keep my head over the fences. In most cases I would just top riding, become

a passenger and pray for the best ha ha.

3DayEventer- Yes, the show was awesome. It couldn't have been a better first show of the year. I

was really surprised I got first in the jumping classes because Thumper is definitely

not a hunter, he is an eventer through and through ha ha. I was watching your

videos on youtube (and I subscribed to your channel btw, I'm XvixXtheXrockerX,)

and was wondering why you are making such a big leap from training level to second?

Just curious and if you have already explained it somewhere and I missed it, sorry ha

ha.

Also, I am really envious of your position! You are such an elegant looking rider

and Scotch looks gorgeous. :)

c.s.a.-No, I don't have any pictures. I'm sad about it too, I have Thumper all braided and the braids

actually looked nice ha ha. I do have some conformation pictures from the day before after I

gave Thump a bath so I'll upload those as soon as I can. I have a big event coming up in a

month so I should have some pictures from that show hopefully. I'll see if I can bribe my

sister into tagging along to get pictures lol.

Good luck with Kay and teaching is fun! I'm a camp counselor at my barn for the summer and

I help the little kids. It's pretty rewarding when they get the light bulb over their heads ha ha.

shiloh-That's weird that counter-canter should be taught before flying changes. It makes sense

and all but....I don't know where I'm going with this ha ha. Anyway, my instructor has me

doing flying changes and we haven't even thought about counter-canter. I'm going to have

to agree that the rule is not always true (or something. I don't even make sense anymore-I

blame that on the painkillers ha ha).

Boocoo-I'm glad to hear that Beau's eye is healing alright!

Okay, I think I'm up to date now. Agh I hate being laid up. I wish I could go out and ride ha ha. of course I get injured with as Thumper and I start getting a breakthrough with the canter and our transitions ha ha.

Oh well, everything happens for a reason, I just have to find the reason for this event lol. I also have before and after conformation pictures of Thumper from two years ago, before I started leasing him and some pictures I took on Saturday. I'll get those posted ASAP.

:)

I have posted pics of her before, its just been a while. I rarely have anyone to take pics while I ride, and if I do there is usually a post or tree or something in the way. I have a lovely canter pic of her from Dec, and there is a post right in front of her head. Can't photoshop that out!

I'm planning to ride today and take some video, if the weather cooperates. If it turns out at all (digital camera, overcast) I'll post it.

Hang on a bit and I'll go dig up some old pics.

OK, some pics of my mare from the past couple years. She had about a year and a half off to have my filly, so she is just getting back into work.

IMGP0403.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

I was trying to upload a couple more recent ones, but photobucket is not working. i'll have to try later.

Greetings from windy and snowy Ohio!! Yuck!!!

Sylves-Thanks! I love my boy:-) My mom and my friend were riding with me. My mom is on her horse, Smokey. He is a lot smaller then Winston:-) Winston is doing GREAT! In fact, he was a maniac today. They all got new shoes this morning and he ran and bucked like a crazy fool and tried to get the other two going. I was sure no one would have shoes left! He is always the instigator and the trouble maker despite being the oldest:-)

3-Day-Thanks! Scotch looks great! I remember teaching Winston HI and thinking he would never get it. Then one day it just clicked and he never went backwards. I have done a little bit with Beckham with different lateral moves to make him more adjustable. Kudos on the jumping!! And yes, I am racking up crazy bills this week:(

Stop Drop-Ouch, glad you are okay after your fall!

Boocoo-Glad to hear that eye is healing up. I bet at some point you will never be able to tell it was there!

CSA-Yes, Smokey is a very comfortable ride. He is a very nice horse for my mom and very quiet.

Shiloh-I think I will always go the route of youngsters! Most of the time older horses don't work out for me, but I always seem to form a nice bond with younger ones without baggage. I got Winston when he was 3 and have had him for 16 years! I am the only one who has every ridden Beckham and he trusts me...and I like it that way!

So yup, nasty, windy and cold. DH left on a business trip and the animals and I are huddled in front of the tv. Looks like we will have riding weather again on Weds. I watched this really awesome special on Christian the Lion on Animal Planet today...it was great!! It is on again Thursday if anyone wants to catch it!

Great pictures Shiloh. You have an awesome position. What breed is your horse? I know you may have said, but I can't find it!

Beckham, it is cold and windy here. I wimped out and did not ride today. It so windy and cold after warm 80 degree days, I opted to wait till tomorrow. I longed yesterday and today and he is full of it! So, I know he is feeling better. Such a sweet boy. I don't think it will scar. The wounds are healing very quickly and I am very impressed with the Vets. suture job. But he is definitely feeling much, much better and the cooler weather makes him frisky!

SDR, summer camp counselor sounds like a lot of fun. My trainers have explained to me that you can teach counter counter before simple change, or, simple change before counter canter. As they explain, it's kind of hard sometimes to know which one to teach first, and since we have to counter canter somewhat in first level, we taught that to Beau first. We are going to start working on walk to canter transitions, although I have already been doing them and he will do them. Then a simple change. I want to be showing second level test 1 by fall, so need to nail the simple change and the medium trot this summer.

3day, that's awesome that pony boy is sound after jumping!!!

She's appendix QH. I have some video from my ride today, nothing special just WTC really because of the way my pasture is set up, and my fiance didn't want to walk all the way to the far end where there is more room to ride.

Once Photobucket stops being a PITA maybe I can post the video and a couple more pics.

It's been a long night; Shannon spiked a pretty high fever around 6, and the Tylenol doesn't seem to be doing the trick... She's sleeping now. Chad and I are going to take turns checking on her. Poor baby girl!

I went out to work with Jag (before munchkin spiked the fever). He was NQR- miss stepping with the right front. I trotted him around twice, and decided he wasn't 100% sound (or something wasn't right). No rocks in the feet, no heat in the legs, no visible discomfort to pressure.... I'm wondering if the ground conditions were a bit too sloppy/slippery, and he was simply losing his footing? I put him back to "bed" with his blankie, beatpulp and hay. I'll try him out tomorrow (if possible) to see how he is doing...

Shiloh, I've seen those pictures before! You are a very lovely rider!

Beau, I don't know if I already wrote this; it's good to read that Beau is kind of back to work!

Beck, it sounds like our weather finally arrived in your home state... It must had refueled or something, because it was basically nothing when it came through NW Iowa... I hear ya about the horses trying to be rid of their shoes. My old event horse lost shoes all of the time until we got on a 4 week routine. Oh, he had to be trimmed/shod every 4 weeks! Wowza! It looks like Smokey is a chillin' horse! The perfect youth or husband horse!

SDR, Ebonee really comes across as a very mature young woman, doesn't she! You wrote that you're a camp counselor; I was a cc as well back in the day! It WAS fun! Much better than flipping bugers all summer long!

Okay, I'm headed to bed for a little bit. Baby girl is still sleeping at the moment, and so should I. My gosh, it's 1:00 am... Wow! Good night!

Shiloh, appx. QH, eh? That's what Beau is. No wonder I like her so much. What level are you schooling her right now?

Sylves, hope your baby girl is feeling better soon? Is she in a day care? No wonder she's getting sick a lot, eh? I don't feel so great myself today, allergies. But we have a 4 day weekend this weekend.

Thanks for the well wishes for Beau, everyone. He is feeling much better and I let him down in his pasture for about 20 min. last night. Didn't want to over do it, since he hasn't been down there since last week when he colicked. His eye still has some swelling, but really looks so much better. I plan to ride him this afternoon. Just a light walk, trot canter ride and slowly bring him back this week, since he's had a week off.

Well, best guess is she is appendix. I don't have her papers, she was sold to me as a QH but she's not all QH. Plus given where she came from (KY), it would not surprise me if she has some TB in her.

I am kinda between first and third with her right now. She had a year and a half off for baby-making, so she is still getting fit again. I've done some work with her on half-pass, and am starting to work toward getting lead changes. Her main holdbacks are her extended gaits. She's just not built for it, especially in the canter. She has a lot of ability to sit, but she is built like a mack truck.

The other thing holding us back right now is my lack of an arena. My pasture has some uneven footing that kinda worries her, and I don't have an arena set up yet. The lack of straight lines kinda screws with my head. Its on the list, but was after the new fence to open up another acre of pasture and finishing the wash rack and the veggie garden and chicken pen.

What I am really excited about right now is my 3-yo Arab. He is just fun.

Sylves, I hope your little munchkin feels better soon. That is no fun when they are sick. And your horse too Boocoo.

Wow. I am so behind. Things have been crazy with work and all so I havent been on much but I have been reading.

Things are going well here. Rode Layla Sunday and yesterday. She was good. Last night we were doing w/c/w and they were much improved. We were finishing with some sitting trot and I was going to let her stop, but then she started offering this LOVELY trot. She arches that neck and her ears go up and her nose is slightly IFV and its just heaven to sit.

Rex is doing well too. He started not wanting to leave the barn and lead because he is still seperated from Layla and Ben so he is not happy about being alone in the paddock even though he is right next to them. So we have been doing some lessons in leading with gentle encouragements from the dressage whip. Last night after I worked with him, Randy helped me turn them back out, and Rex walked right out and to his paddock with no whip encouragement. So that was nice.

But my geezus. The weather!!! Its been mid 80s during the day and high 60s-70s at night. Then all of a sudden its low 40s and today its 60 but SO windy and cold and tonight its down to 34 again!! I just put the blankets up!

Im at work so this is going to be short. But like I said, I have been reading and Im glad to hear everyones updates, and that the crappy things that have happened to some are getting better.