Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Dressage Chit Chat Thread #24

Well Shiloh, she is a nice looking mare. I know what you mean about having a place to ride. We were fortunate that our house already had an arena. So now we need to see pics of your Arab.

I should be able to finally ride Beau today. It's not windy and nice and sunny out. Leaving work soon and plan to go straight home and ride.

Arab boy I can post pics of!

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

The last one is from December a year ago. I just love the picture. No real pics of me riding him yet. I do have a couple of me sitting on him, but not in my photoucket.

His name is EA Kashmir, after the Zepplin song. He's about 15.2h, will be 3 in a month and a half. He's just got the best personality, and very very athletic. His trot needs work, but I adore his canter. He is the complete opposite of my mare. Calm, lazy, into everything, very bendy. I'm planning to take him to the Arab show this Thanksgiving and hopefully show him at training level. If his canter is presentable by then. He is built to toss his head right up into the air, and he thinks its just a ball of fun to run around like a giraffe. When he does get the nose out of the sky, he moves very nicely.

shiloh- I like your mare but love your boy. He is so darn cute.

Sylves-How is shannon doing? I hope she is feeling better and you get some sleep tonight.

Boocoo-Glad to hear Beau is almost fully recovered and almost ready to go back to work.

KTM-Glad to hear Rex is settled in nicely.

Got to go to wrok. Will caych up with everyone else later.

Shiloh, very nice looking arab boy you have there. I bet he will be a lot of fun to bring along. He looks like a blast!!

I got to ride today, finally. First time since last Monday. Beau's eye is almost completely back to normal, except for the stitches. They will dissolve on their own, but the Vet. told me to snip the ends off after 10 days if I could still see them. Other than that it is looking really good and I got him out today and longed him first, about 10 min. and had him do transitions between all the gaits with side reins, both directions. Then I hopped on him and did a bit of walk both directions and then rising trot, 20 m circles, 3 loop serpentines and diagnols. He was pretty flexilbe I am happy to say. Sometimes after some time off I have to remind him how to bend!! [Question] But he did well with that, so I did a bit of sitting trot and then sitting trot, canter transitions. Remember how much trouble I used to have with trot to canter cause his feet hurt so bad? Well now I can just think canter and he canters. It was quite nice, so I worked on walk to canter with no trot steps and he was very good at that as well, so we called it a day. I only rode him about 15 min. but since I longed him 10 I figured that was a good first day back to work. He seemed happy to be back to work and really trying hard to please me. So this summer I need to work on canter to walk, medium trot and simple changes. [shocked]

Glad to hear you are back riding! C-W transitions are also on my list of things to work on. Miss mare just now has the strength for W-C.

My little Arab is just fun. I've been able to do pretty much everything with him myself, as he knew how to lead and clip when I bought him. He is just so sane. I even took him to a show last April, first time off the property, by himself even, and he behaved perfectly. A 12-yo did showmanship with him, and he was just perfect. It was her first time at a show, and his as well. I wish I had pics of them because her little dressage attire and his braids were just precious!

My double bridle comes tomorrow. I'm excited to try it out, just for a little spin around the pasture. I think it will make a huge difference for my mare. She can get pretty heavy in a snaffle, but is very light in anything with a touch of leverage. I think it will really help her for me to be able to ride with a lighter contact. Its funny, I don't have to use the curb rein on a pelham, just having it makes the difference.

Sylves- Oh no poor Shannon. Hope she feels better soon!

Boocoo- It sounds like Beau is definately wanting to get back to work!

Where did the warm weather go?? It was quite chilly today...had to put Scotch's medium blanket on. Last night had a business dinner which was very interesting and informative. Had to pull out my business attire that I've been building up. So after looking at my wardrobe I went shopping today for some more professionals clothes. I bought one dress shirt as that's all I really could find. hehe. So I'll probably go out and try again. Need a nice pair of brown heels, too.

UGH my board is going up $30 next month. Eep. Also trainer's secretary emailed me \apologizing about the April schedule not being sent to all of trainer's students. There was a mix up. So a lot of the slots are filled, but she said trainer had a slot open on the 17th...and the 24th. Can't do the 24th as I'm in KY for the Rolex and I'm not sure if I can do the 17th as its a Friday and one of my employees has off. So not sure if I'll be able to make it down to trainer. I really could use his eyes right about now too. BUT am going down for a few days in May. Which will be very very helpful.

Good boy today for the most part. Canter work has been coming and going...he is still needing more muscling for the collected canter. So at times we have a tendency to fall out of it. So I need to work on more strengthing and not ask for the collection for long lengths of time.

Have a good night all!

Shannon has had a fever off and on since Monday night, so made a doctor's appointment for today at 1:30. I gave her some fruit, and she spat it out and began crying; sounds like a sore throat... Fever + sore throat sometimes = Strep... And, you DON'T mess around with Strep throat! Poor baby girl. For the time being, she enjoys laying down and watching her favorite movie- Spirit. She points to the TV and says, "Gagger!" She wants to watch the horse movie!

I rode Jag just lightly last night- we hacked on the dirt road. I collected up my reins at the end of the ride to work on a figure 8, walk/halt. He didn't seem off yesterday, which was a relief.

The chiro made it out to our barn today; she said that he was out in his hind end/hips. We did a lot of work on his hips. She says that perhaps he was out of alignment when he was racing (younger) and his bones just developed in a way that would inhibit proper alignment in the right stifle... I couldn't completely grasp what she was saying, but it kind of sounds like his conformation might present a challenge for any kind of collection. Oh well. We'll do what we can! I don't care if we just stay at training level forever. Jag's main purpose/job is to be a good ol' boy for my daughter someday... :-)

Eventer- Yuck, board is on the rise! I suppose, with hay and grain prices, an increase in board is inevitable. Even though we don't have a proper place to ride like an arena, I'm happy that we can keep our horses on our family's land. One of these days, when we're rich (lol) we're going to build an indoor arena... <day dreaming>

Boocoo- Have fun with the walk to canter/ halt to canter transitions! Glad to read that you two are back in commission!

Shiloh- What a pretty boy! You and KTM could share stories about training from the ground up!

CSA- Thanks for asking about Shannon! I can't tell if she's better or not... Hopefully the doctor will have something to say this afternoon...

So Shiloh, what are some ways you work with canter to walk transitions? I haven't attempted them to much yet!

3day, to bad about the schedule. That would highly irriate me, but I don't have much patience for lack of organization, so I have to learn to keep it in check! Even at my age! [Crazy] But I'm sure you'll get it all worked out. To bad your board is going up! Argh!

Sylves, Shannon is at that age where she will get sick. Is she in day care? That's where all those fun little germs come from and they have to build up their immune system. Hopefully you aren't dealing with ear infections. Those are the worst!

Rode Beau again tonight. I just did rising trot, sitting trot, si, then some hi. He struggled a bit on the right side, and just power housed it on the left side. I wish he could do it like that on both sides. But it was good, since he hasn't done it in a while. Then we did some leg yields into canter, like in First test 2. I am doing First 2 and First 4 at my next show. After that show I am only going to do one test a day at shows. This show is local though and he is very familiar with the facilities, so he should be fine.

Went and bought Hubby a new Ipod for his upcoming b.day today. He wanted a green one! Ok, I got him a cool green one! :happy0203:

Tomorrow is last day of work for 4 days!!! [Yay]

I haven't done much with them yet either. I do them on a small circle, from as collected a canter as I can get, and right now I am just working on getting the walk even if its ugly. But with my mare, that's what I have to do with her. Get what I am after, and then go back and refine it. I don't think I would try that with another horse, but she is difficult and gets herself worked up into confusion really easily.

Like today, I got my double in the mail, so I oiled it, went to ride in it (just a spin around the parture), and it didn't even come close to fitting. Way too tiny (warning: Bobby's bridles run SMALL). So I took the curb off and just used it as a snaffle because it fit like that. Something must have been uncomfortable because she started getting pissed, sticking her tongue out of her mouth (and the bradoon I am using is her regular bit). I ended up with a piaffe while I was trying to just halt. Not a correct one of course. That's just how this mare is. Very hot and prone to lose her mind :)

How have you been working on yours?

Sylves- Crossing my fingers that Shannon can give the sickness a boot. Glad that the chiro was able to come out. Did she recommend you give him a day off after the adjustment? The first time Scotch was adjusted he was out in his hip too. Let me tell what a give difference getting it all back in aligment felt! Yes it sucks about the rising of my board. And I'm already at a high amount too. If it goes up any more I will more than likely have to start looking for another place. Wish I had my own place. Are you thinking of putting in an outdoor like arena?

Boocoo- Not that they are unorganized but trainer is a BNT so his scheduling time for haul-ins is limited! I'm happy that I'm on the "in-list". haha. But good news his secretary emailed me saying that she rearranged and asked another rider if she would mind switching days! SO yay I'm going down. He'll be able to powerhouse on both sides in due time! Sounds like he is doing well! Good luck at your show! I'm jealous you are showing. hehe.

Shiloh- bummer about the double! I was fortunate finding a Sommerset double for a wicked deal last year.

So scheduled for my lesson w/ training next Friday! Woot! Hopefully Scotch will have the HI right better this time so we won't have to spend as much time in that area. Then Rolex is the weekend after AND end of semester! Yeh!

I was bummed about the bridle, but I ended up putting the bradoon hanger on my jumping bridle that has double reins, and put my elevator bit on the new bridle. So it works. I'm going to ride in it tomorrow and see how it goes. The only thing I am worried about is that my mare tends to like the bit lower in her mouth, and there is just not room for that with a double.

Shiloh-That sucks about the bridle. Hope you can figure some use for it.

3Day- Sounds like you got a couple busy weeks coming up. Busy but good. Have fun. Sucks about board.

Boocoo-Enjoy your mini vacation.

Sylves- Awwww. That sounds so cute(the whole"Gagger thing). Yay for the chiro finally making it out.

This weather is torture. It frezezing cold in the morning, when I want to ride. Now when it is time to get a shower and some sleep it is beautiful. I just sent my entry in for my first show on the 19. Eeeek. So I guess my weekend will be spent getting everything ready for that.

3day, glad you got on the schedule!!!

Shiloh, I have only been working on walk to canter. I also do them on a 10 m circle, I walk a circle, trot a circle, canter a circle, then go to walk, we still have trot steps, then from walk to canter. He finds that easy, but isn't sure what I want when I want him to go from canter to walk. He is also very hot and prone to loosing his mind. I have to do like you do. Get it, then refine it. He tries hard, but sometimes it's more than his one brain cell can handle, so we back off and then go to it again later. I have a lesson on Sat. so I am going to ask her how she wants me to do canter to walk.

C.S.A. sorry your weather is so cold. What part of the country are you in? Our weather is warm here, but we are supposed to have a major Tstorm on Sat. night.

Boocoo, I am in Pa. I just want to ride after work at 7 a.m. Darn third shift stuff is a pain at times.

Boocoo, let me know what your instructor says. I am currently pretty much instructorless. There is really no one around here that would come to my farm, and I don't have a trailer. I do take lessons when I am in KY visiting my parents, but of course I am not riding my mare, and he has not seen me ride my mare in 2 years.

One thing I have heard that has helped a bit is to think halt instead of walk. I also know my mare CAN do c-w because she used to just slam on the brakes when I would do a downward out of a canter, so I have worked hard to send her forward into the trot. Its been several years since we had that issue, so now I am going to have to go back and fix it again.

One thing I have learned is so take what the horse naturally offers and request that, reward it, and THEN go for what is harder for them. As in, I really wish I had worked with the c-w when she offered them and not sent her forward into a trot every time she offered. I was just doing what I was told, but it didn't work out too well in this case. Probably because miss Lucy is a hothead.

I got to ride in my double today, and after a bit of a hack and then some trot that was done with her head in the air, she did finally give me the nice soft trot she used to give. So I rewarded, hopped off, and hopefully I can go back tomorrow in the snaffle and have the same softness!

Ahh, the Canter Walk Canter.

It took TWO Friggin' YEARS for Riley to get this. Then downs were ok, not great or anything, but the ups were ****. He didn't get the Go Forward part of the transition . . . he'd hop up and down in place.

But then, one day, he got it. And now he's a pro- I always get 8s, frequently 9s, and a 10 last year on my simple changes.

What I would do for the downs is to think gallopade (like really collected canter in place) and then I just kind of melt into the walk.

When they get good at simples, my favorite (Riley thinks it's fun too) is to do a 15 or 20 meter circle, doing simple changes every quarter. It really keeps the jump and the straightness in the counter canter, and it's helpful to 2nd-3, where you end up riding a counter canter after a simple.

What I would do for the downs is to think gallopade (like really collected canter in place) and then I just kind of melt into the walk....

Thats pretty much what I have been doing. Its just ugly right now. The other trouble spot recently has been forward. I cannot ride her with a whip due to past abuse issues, which has never been a problem until just recently where she would rather plod along than really work half the time.

That's an good exercise KTS! I'm going to play with that tomorrow.

Trainer has me on a 20meter circle doing simple changes and then we progressed to 10meters. Which help a ton as it makes them sit back on their haunches allowing them to free up their forehand to sit down into the walk. I'm able to get some really nice canter-walk transistions going from 20m to 10meters.

I will let you know what she says Shiloh. I have a lesson on Sat. Good advice from KTS as well.

Beau can do the walk to canter, but the canter to walk, he of course thinks he is supposed to trot, before he walks and I have really not worked with him much on it. I want my trainer to work with me first and instruct me how she wants me to do it, so I don't mess it up. I used to do all this stuff when I rode western, thought nothing about technique of course. We would also do flying changes whilst loping down the river bottom. No problem and lots of fun, but now we have to do them with style and that will take a bit of work!!! :happy0203:

I think I told you once before Shiloh, my cousin lives in Lakeland and my Aunt is in Bartow. My Grandmother was from Ft. Myers. My father was raised on a huge cattle ranch in south west Florida, south east of Naples.

C.S.A. that's right, you are in PA. I forgot! No wonder it's so stinkin cold!!

Didn't ride today. Cleaned my bridle and cleaned Beau's eye up, he rolled and it had dust all over it, and snipped the long ends of the stiches off. It is looking really good. Most the swelling is gone now. I practiced a couple of braids as well, since I am going to braid him at my next show. I am also planning on hauling him to a local park with equestrian trails to hack out, not this weekend, but next. I really need to get him out of the arena. I know it will build confidence in him. I used to trail ride all the time in AZ and he was never this goosey, course his feet weren't fried back then either! [Me Cry] I bought a new supplement from Smart Pack called Smart Sox. It is supposed to stimulate the blood flow in the hooves. I am hoping it works and that will stimulate some growth in the back heels. Could be wistful thinking, but it's worth a try.

Boocoo- When is your show? Great idea to haul to a park! There is a park near my farm that is awesome to hack around...they also have xc jumps! :) Smart Sox now that's a catchy name! Hope it works for the handsome beast!

I just had to let a little rant out. What is the deal with the Tempi person....I have never seen someone so negative. My goodness. Ok done :)

Miss Shannon is finally doing better. Yesterday I took her to the clinic to be seen by a MD. The doc sent us to the hospital for x-rays, blood test, nasal swab and blood/oxygen test. The x-rays showed a small patch of pneumonia in the lower right lung and the RSV test came up positive. Her blood/oxygen was borderline low. The doc wanted Shannon to stay at the hospital (just to be on the safe side). My mother drove up from Lincoln (pretty much in a panic- she was shaking when she stepped into the room) and Chad stayed overnight with me. We didn't sleep much at all; Chad was in a very old recliner and I laid in the hospital bed with Shannon. They had a "lead" taped to her toe to monitor her blood/oxygen levels. The levels dropped into the low 80's, so it was a GOOD thing that we were at the hospital! The nurse came in around midnight to put an oxygen mask on her. Poor baby girl! We did avoid the iv, THANKFULLY. Doc really encouraged the IV, but accepted the idea of us offering water constantly to keep Shannon hydrated. Shannon had to have two IM's of antibiotics. She couldn't leave the room. It felt like a jail. There was a TV/DVD player, thankfully; she requested the "Gagger" movie. Let's just say, Chad and I...and the nurses have the whole movie memorized, lol! She's hooked to the movie.

Doc let us go home tonight, THANK GOODNESS! It was amazing; about a half hour after getting home, Shannon perked up, her fever dropped to only 99 (it was spiking 103 last night), she was thirsty for water, she was hungry for cereal w/ milk, she was going through diapers like crazy, and she was playing like her good ol' self! Wow! What a relief to be home. I get to sleep in my own bed!!! Although... we absolutely MUST keep an eye on Shannon all night; if she is short of breath at all, it'll be a mad rush to the ER.

Shannon will have a follow up on Monday; If she isn't well, my mom will stay in town to watch her so that Chad and I can get back to work. Thankfully we have Good Friday and Easter Monday off! My mom has been so wonderful!

I haven't ridden Jaggar since Tuesday. I'm on the "Z pack" (as of today) because of my cold and other symptoms and the stress of all this hospitalization/lack of sleep; Chad insisted that I stay out of the barn until I'm better. I told him that was fine as long as he tacks up Jag for me; I could meet Jag outside the barn...and then go riding, lol! Chad says, "very funny," jokingly, but half seriously. I don't care that much because I just want my little girl better. Pneumonia is a scary thing. Thank goodness we got her in to the clinic as early as we did! Speaking of pneumonia, my old horse, Dee and I had pneumonia at the same time. Actually, I had pneumonia AND mono.... Thankfully, that's in the past... <sigh>

Eventer, I agree, Tempi is quite a character. I suppose I should keep my opinion to myself, but if you go to her home page, you might see what I see in her. Really, she's just a kid. She has listed on her "about me" page that she achieved her D3 rating in pony club... um, wow.

Shiloh, you know what I'd do if I were in your shoes... sell that double bridle on Ebay, and then look for a nice used double on ebay! It's too bad you can't return the bridle (oiled). But, that is why there is ebay... :-) Question, you say that you have tempi on your ignore list. So, does that mean that you don't get to enjoy her posts because they're blocked? I was just wondering.

Boocoo, Ew,it sounds like you're moving up the training scale! What an accomplishment! You made me giggle with the ,"He tries hard, but sometimes it's more than his one brain cell can handle..."! :-) It sounds like you're still battling the feet. I need a refresher: what is your farrier doing to correct the contracted heels (wait, I'm assuming contracted heels...)? I hope the SmarkPak supplement helps!

Okay, I'm a complete zombie. I'm making mistakes (see w/c/w post...). I need to hit the sack. Good night.

Tomorrow is Good Friday; Mom said that she would watch Shannon so that Chad and I could go to church (the RSV is very contagious, and if an infant gets it, that's a BAD thing...) because we have missed so many services. We haven't been to a single Lent service. I wanted so badly to go tonight for Maundy Thursday, especially since it was going to include Holy Communion. Chad and I are a little overdo for Communion. Unfortunately tomorrow's service does not include Communion....

Okay, NOW I'm going to bed!

Wow, I am so behind!!! I have been so busy with work. I think it's finally easing up a bit though :smilie:

Boocoo - I'm so glad Beau's eye is doing better. Are his hoof problems caused by moisture, and that's why they were better in AZ? It's cool that you're hauling to a park to ride. That's SO fun. I used to do that a lot when I was in Oregon (and beach rides! I think I miss those the most), but we haven't done a whole lot of trail riding in AZ yet. I had a trail riding buddy at the place I board but the stinkin' economy forced her to move her horse out of our stable, so I need to make a new trail buddy.

shiloh - Your Arab is beautiful! I love his expression, and it sounds like he has some good size to him! Echo's only 15 hh and at 13, she finished growing quite awhile ago :tongue9:

Sylves - How's Shannon feeling?

c.s.a. - Good luck at the show!!!

I know I'm way more behind than that, but I'll catch up later :)

So I turned Echo out yesterday in some crazy wind, and apparently that was a big mistake because she went ballistic and ate it. She grazed her inner left leg (upper leg), and though it was mostly skin-deep, it still looked nasty (a big area of fur gone) and swelled up just a little bit today. She was totally sound last night and today anyway, so I still saddled her up for my lesson and left it up to my instructor whether we should go ahead with it or not. Since Echo seemed to be just fine, we decided to take it easy on her and do the lesson anyway... doing mostly walk, trot, just a bit of canter, and focusing mainly on me and my seat, leg aids, etc. We dropped down my stirrups a bit and really worked on my leg, getting my shoulders back, using my seat better, etc. For a lesson where we didn't "do" a lot, my muscles sure feel like we did!

Does anybody on here do Pilates? My instructor was telling me today that it's REALLY good for riders. I've never tried it, so I'd be curious to hear any of your experiences. It sounds like it might be fun!

Edited by e.s.dressage

Ok I'm soo far behind!

Boocoo! I'm so glad Beau is alright! Poor schnookums.

And Sylves! Poor little Shannon! I'm glad she's beginning to feel better.

Anyway, so the stubben didn't work out, and I've now come across the possible scenario of trading it for a Bates. I have a couple to choose from, and I don't know what to do LOL. So I came here and made a post about it, what else does one do in a time of termoil?! I know I shouldn't be gambling, but then... I have one saddle that is never going to fit me, so do I gamble again, and see if this one will fit both of us? and possibly again have something that doesnt fit... hmmm thinking

Have been riding the pony, had an absolutely horrible ride, I just wanted to get off and cry. Then tuesday was better. I have to work on getting him more on the aids and obedient, without getting the tension.... It's *ok* where he is comfortable now... but... it could be better, stronger, more... confident, if you know what I mean, occasionally it comes and he's much more confident and together, so I want that every ride, just that *little bit more*.

Happy easter to everyone, from Aussieland and the EB himself IMG_1177.jpg

Edited by Lightning Strikes Twice

Yes, when you put someone on ignore, you no longer get to see their posts unless you want to click on a certain post. I've run into her on other B's before, and its always the same crap. No one can do anything as well as she can, everyone is doing everything wrong, and the world is going to end unless you do what she tells you. Or you will ruin your horse or create some horrible deformed foal by breeding your mare to some stallion she doesn't care for, especially if your mare is not approved by a major WB registry. So yes, I just put her on ignore. Life's too short to have to read that much negativity.

I'm going to keep the bridle. I tried to buy one on Ebay but no luck because I want a brown one. This one will work for my elevator bit, so I just put the bradoon hanger on my Courbette that I had been using for my elevator. I've just never seen a cob bridle so tiny! Plus it was on closeout, so there was no option to trade it for a horse size.

I hope Shannon keeps getting better! That is scary for a child so young!

Oh my, I am sooooo far behind. It has been such a busy week!

Who is this Tempi character? I want to read!

Sylves-Wow, what a scare!! I am so glad Shannon is doing better. Poor little girl! I NEVER have a day I don't go to the barn...sick or not. My hobby, I have to feed. AND, I am so anal about everything that even if I have someone else feed for me, I have to dish it all out. I soak all of their meals and they get different supplements, different hay...yup, I am a big ole pain in the butt!! Even with the dogs...they get all kinds of stuff too.

LST-The Easter bunny! I love it!!! I have 2 Bates saddles for sale...PM me if you are interested.

3Day-So, my lesson got rained out today:-( Glad you got your Scott situation sorted out. How long does it take you to trailer to him? I believe his place is an 8 hour trip for us.

Shiloh-I have a Bobby's double bridle...what size did you get? It went on Poet, but I tried it on Shelby's big ole head and it seemed to fit. Actually, someone borrowed it for a Hanoverian and it fit him too. I have a Sprenger bradoon and just a cheap, standard curb...if you need to borrow something.

Boocoo-You aren't near any of these fires I am seeing on the news, are you?? I hope everyone is safe. Glad to hear that eye is healing up and you are back to work!! Did you see the video I posted? Was curious to hear what you thought.

CSA-Show next weekend?! Woohoo! I expect a lot of photos!!!

So, it has been busy here this week. School, DH was on a business trip, and some dr's appoints, farrier, etc. Oh, and the weather was cold and snowy on Mon and Tues! It was awful and the horses were complete spazzes! I have Beckham's entries ready for the first show of the season and Shelby is back to work after getting her hocks done and looks great. It is raining today, so no lesson and I am fighting off a terrible cold...ahg. I hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Beckham - I got a cob in the double because that is what she usually wears. I have a Courbette and a Barnsby, and I used to have a Kieffer, and they all fit (all cob). The horse sized Collegiate I had was huge and I had to cut down the cheek pieces. And then she stepped on a rein and broke it in about 5 places. But this one is TINY. It's almost pony sized, and the reins are pretty short too. I can use it with my elevator though. It was so cheap on closeout that it didn't make sense to pay $50 including shipping for a brown bradoon hanger when I could buy the whole bridle for $90.

I don't think I need to borrow anything. I have a nice sweet iron curb I bought off ebay. It's old, but was a 4.5" and was $10, and it actually seems to be perfect for her. I am using my JP baucher as a bradoon right now. It's decently thin, though a bit much metal on her face. I am going to wait and get a loose ring bradoon when the Arab show is in town at the end of the month. They usually have a vendor that has some for sale, and I can actually measure the thickness and make sure I am getting what I want.

Do you have any recent pics/video of Shelby?

As for tempi, view her profile or user info or whatever, and there is a website attached. If you click on the names of her ponies, you can get to her picture album.

Oh Tempi; she was getting on Ebonee Rose's case about not doing the training perfectly and having to start all over again in the training. She was shaming ER for boring her mare during ground work, and she was reprimanding ER for not showing more incentive to do the training right. It was really getting on my nerves. I noticed that Tempi isn't really posting on this board much, so it's not much of a bother to me anymore.

Well, Shiloh, that sounds like a good deal on the double. I also keep my eyes peeled for dark brown since both of my saddles are brown. I would love to find a brown w/ white padded, no flash with matching reins, excellent quality bridle... in my price range. I would love a well care for second hand bridle to save a little $, but it has been a difficult search on ebay so far. I keep my eyes peeled, though!

LS, that's too bad about the Stubben. I hope the next "gamble" actually works for you. I've gambled 4 times with Ebay saddles; two of the times were winners! One of the saddles I just gave to a friend and the other saddle we tried to sell on ebay, but it didn't go. We might just hang onto it b/c it might suit Chad when he gets his horse... Who knows. Oh well, hope you find something that works!

Shannon had a decent night. There were no trips to the ER! She doesn't like her oral meds, so that will be a struggle for the next 7 days... She didn't take to the nebulizer too well either... She's sleeping now. I'm going to head to bed for some rest. My mom is here helping us out. She made a fabulous lunch... aw, I LOVE Mom's cooking!

For those Christians out there, today is the sad day.... But Sunday is a day of celebration! Happy Easter!

Bekcham, Tempichanges posts on some of the training threads. She is a very negative person and has nothing good to say about anything or anyone. If she would turn her posts into constructive criticism, she might not be so bad. Personally, I just ignore her. I don't have her on ignore, I just scroll right past her posts anymore. I have said it before, and I"ll say it again. I have no room for negative people in my life.

E.S. to answer your question about Beaus feet. A farrier in California completely buthchered his feet. It only took about 3 to 4 shoeings and he has his toes so long and his heels so low that his back heels became contracted and completely crushed. By this time we moved here to TX and it took me 4 farriers to find one that could help him. Before I found him, Beau had gotten to the point that he was completely resistant, especially in transitions and then he wouldn't even walk when I first got on him. He crow hopped, kicked and pitched a fit. He was hurting bad. I got off him, found a corrective farrier and he came out and then I had about 80% horse back, but I still wasn't satisfied. Found the guy I am using now and he has and this answers Sylves question also, has been working on bringing the toe back and that will in turn bring the heel up. Only problem is, he isn't growing any heels. For the most part, about all we have been doing is keeping him comfortable. The shoes come back past his heels and give him support, so he is working fine, but what we want and need is his heels to get some growth. Hence the Smart Sox supplement. I just buy the tub of it, I don't do the monthly Smart Paks, they are more expensive in the long run. Wouldn't that be a cute name for Beau, Smart Sox, with his three white socks? Ha ha. Anyway, that's why I had a rough couple of years with Beau and couldn't advance out of training level. And that is another reason why I am so excited that I am finally showing first level and schooling 2nd.

Sylves, glad to hear Shannon is feeling better and kudos to your Mom for helping out. Course most moms adore their grandchildren. Your lucky she is close by.

Shiloh, hope you get the double sorted out. I am going through that with dress boots right now. So far I have sent back 4 pairs. The 5th one should be a charm!!!

Beckham I have a horrible cold also. I am sure mine is allergies. Our oak pollen is really high right now, but I feel like crud. Hope you are feeling better and isn't it time for your weather to warm up?

Lightning, hope you get the saddle issues sorted out. I have been there and done that as well! Once you get the right saddle, it is totally worth it.

Going out to feed Beau now. Lesson tomorrow. I'll report back on the lesson tomorrow night and let you all know what my trainer says about w-c-w transistions.

Oy. Its so hard to keep up!

Things are going well here. Earlier this week, it dropped down to 34 at night!!! Its crazy. Had to bust out the blankets for the ponys. But its warmed back up and tomorrow its going to be like 85! Yuck. I hate the hot weather.

Thursday I went ahead and had my boss pull my lower left wisdom tooth. Its the only one that wasnt impacted but I knew it was getting a small cavity because there was a flap of gum tissue covering it, making it hard to keep clean. I was starting to get some pair near my ear and just decided to get it taken out.

I didnt feel any of the shots, I didnt feel him elevating it (thats where we use a tool that kind of looks like a flat head screw driver and wedge it between the teeth and use pressure to loosen the tooth in the bone), and I didnt feel him pull it out with the forceps either. I know we tell patients that you will feel a lot of pressure, but I didnt even feel that. It was great. And with it being a lower, usually those are worse.

My teeth have wicked roots that are all curvey, etc and this one was no exception. The root tip curved back towards my cheek and hooked around the bone. Luckily no bone came out with it though.

I took some Advil around 330pm and I took a Darvacet befor ebed even though I wasnt feeling anything. I woke up at 530am with it aching a bit (not actual pain though) so I took another Darvacet and went to bed. Hasnt bothered me since. I did take some more Advil around 430pm though just to be safe.

So needless to say, no riding for the next couple of days to give the socket a chance to heal. Sarah is coming over tomorrow and I offered her a ride on Layla. So shes going to ride her tomorrow morning. I should be ok to ride on Sunday.

Last weekend, Randy bought us some bikes to ride. I finally had some time to ride it tonight while my alfalfa cubes were soaking. I rode up and down my street 4 times. That came out to approx 3000 ft, so just over 1/2 mile. I could have done more but I didnt want to over do it. I havent ridden a bike in like 10 years so it was fun!

Oh and I dont know what to do about this funk Layla gets on her hind legs. Every spring and summer she gets this fungus looking stuff on her back cannons. It looks like rain rot but its not. You can take your fingernail and just run it down the leg and clumps of hair and the first layer of skin come off. Its GROSS. I have use Betedine, Iodine, Antiomicrobial, antifungal, Ive shaven them to the skin, etc. I can never get it to go away until the winter. She doesnt pee on herself and we dont have any mud, etc. I dont get it. Any suggestions? Ive also use ACV + TTO and nope doesnt work.

Sylves, wow. Poor baby girl! I am glad she is doing better. I hope she keeps improving and no more ER trips. And take care of yourself too!

Boo, glad Beau is doing better. How did the lesson go? BTW I love Smartpaks line of supplements. I use Smartgain on Layla and the mare licks her bowl clean now, a first in over 7 yrs.

LST, love the bunny! So cute! And hang in there with the pony. I went through 2 months of CRAPPY rides and I found going back to the basics for a few rides really made everything click again.

Shiloh, that stinks about the bridle. Can you maybe use it on the arab once he gets older as a snaffle?

e.s., Ive never done pilates but Ive heard the same thing. Id like to try it one day. I hope your horses leg is ok!

Beckham, I agree. I think we all deserve to see some pics of the ponys. What classes are you entering for the upcoming shows? Our show season is pretty much coming to a close very soon as it gets SO hot down here.

Boocoo, regarding the heels... are they truly under-run and crushed still? Sometimes what works is to trim them a bit to get rid of that crushed growth, and then they will come back in correctly if you have the toe backed up enough. Not sure if your farrier has tried that. My Arab has one flat foot (and one upright one) from poor hoofcare and grazing with one ahead regularly, which then tightens up the opposite shoulder. With that one flat foot, I have to make sure to keep the toe back, but also trim the heels before they get crushed. The new growth seems to follow the old, so sometimes removing the old will really help. It takes away what is pulling the new growth under the hoof. Just an idea. I know it's kinda counter-intuitive, but it can work.

Krazy - I read something recently about zinc being especially helpful in horses with skin issues. Again with the Arab, he seems to get bad scratches and other skin funk that I battled constantly last summer. This year I switched his v/m supplement to something with less iron and more zinc, and then added a human zinc pill. No idea if it will help yet. What I added isn't a ton of extra zinc because I didn't want to throw anything off too much, and he technically should be getting enough as it is. But his body just might not be using what he is getting as well as it should, so a little boost might help him out. I do know what crud you are talking about though. My mare had it at one point, but I don't remember when.

Tonight I am starting to measure my string to lay out an arena! I wonder how many times I will lose count of 197 feet.