Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Dressage Chit Chat Thread #24

Hmmm. I feed Buckeyes Gro N Win, which is a ration balancer. I will have to check the zinc levels. Strange and nasty stuff that it is.

And dont worry about losing count of the feet, worry about driving yourself mad by making it square in the corners!!

ES- OO I wish I had more time or I would do a Pilates session at the gym. Silly Echo, hope her leg is healing quickly. Sounds like it was still a tough lesson. Those can be the hardest as you are really thinking about your body and movements.

LTS- Bummer about the Stubben. And your bunny is way too cute. Gosh I want a floppy ear bunny. As for Lightning there will be some rides that will be terrific and then some ones that aren't so. I've had those days where I just want to cry. But it is a training process :) You'll see things really starting to come together soon I'm sure!

Sylves- OMG sending lots of jingles for the little one. But it sounds like she is doing better! Thank goodness! The Tempi person has a homepage? I saw her blog but that's about as far as I got. I did notice she rides with the Poulins? Anyone know if that is actually true? Hope you are feeling better too so you can go out and ride your Jag boy!

Shiloh- Glad you can use the double at least! Good luck measuring out an arena! Mine would probably lopsided if I was doing it. Straight lines were never my thing when I had to measure.

Beckham- ooo rained out BOO! SNOW! why that's crazy! Hope you feel better too. When is your first show? It takes us about 2hours to get to Trainer's. Not a bad drive either. Ick 8hrs! That's a bit of a haul.

Shantel- sounds like FL had some crazy weather. weird! OUUU ouch to wisdom teeth. Poor lady! Did ya get drugs??? Like good ones? haha. Have you tried putting desitine on her legs after scrubbing them?

Not much to report here. Work is crazy busy this week as it's a holiday. Running around like a mad-woman. Papers due on Monday so I need to get cracking on them. Scotch will probably have tomorrow off too. I need to get these papers finished and done.

I got Darvocet but it really doesnt hurt. It is nice to be able to tell my patients that it isnt going to hurt b/c now I actually KNOW!

I have never tried the desitine cream. HMMM Thanks!

Being the engineer that I am, I have calculated out exactly how long each string needs to be, including the diagonal so that I can make sure the whole thing is square. I did it down to the quarter-inch. As if 1/4" makes a difference over 197 feet :)

Now I just need to figure out where that piece of paper is...

Will catch up in the next couple of days. I just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Easter.

I had a wonderful ride today. I finally heard back from the lady doing the painting. It look awesome. [Yay]

LST-Love the bunny

For those of you wondering about tempi, she has a blog too. In which she gripes about a judge pulling her aside for not wearing her formal attire to a schooling show. Which is not only at the KHP, but also very clearly states on the entry that formal attire is required. I know because I have showed on that series before and had to get special permission to show in alternative attire as all my show attire was in FL, and I was in KY.

OK, so if any of you ever need the measurements of a dressage arena in feet and inches, i just worked it all out again. In case anyone wants to put in an arena but doesn't have a tape measure that has meters on it.

Boocoo, what is your arena made of? Do you just have wood fencing, or one of the fancy dressage arenas from a catalog, or something else? I am trying to decide what to use for mine once I get all this string measured. Someone on COTH mentioned PVC pipe with tomato stakes to hold the whole thing into the ground. Not sure if that would be better (and more cost effective) than going with wood, or if something else would work better. Can't afford the $2k price tag for the nifty plastic ones.

Let me set the record straight here I'm all for lusitanos and Andalusians, and the what not.

Truth is, I've ridden across breeds, disciplines. I live at a reining barn. I ride and own horses that are unapproved with the major breeding verbands.

In the current herd, my broodmare is full arabian, registered with the IAHA (will be tested with RPSI this fall), her current foal is by an AWS stallion. The mare that I'm training at 3rd/4th level now is registered with WPCSA as a full welsh cob, who happens to be double registered with American Sport Pony, I schooled a full PSG on an ex-reining Quarter Horse and first learned to ride dressage on thoroughbreds.

Truth be told, I am a supporter of the verbands because not only the mastery of the bloodlines, but the utilization of performance within their books. Are they completely without fault? No, but for consistently producing individuals capable of upper level performance, it's one of the few systems, if not the only cross-book systems doing so.

2) I believe in solid training and conditioning of the individual horse. This means from the ground up and like it or not, there are boring parts of training that cannot be skipped over, unless a person feels like addressing them at a different time, through much more effort.

I also believe in the education of the rider, at all costs and if you can't afford it, then find a way.

And no, I don't believe in perfection, I just believe in being correct and it isn't always through the usual means or manner. At sometimes it can come off as harsh, but as Yoda said: do or do not there is no try. It's a tough discipline, but anything worth doing is never easy.

3) it's still quite apparent you still read the responses, the blog and talk about me. Not to mention look for photos. If you want to ask questions or know me, then why not ask the source? I'm fully capable of speaking for myself without a representative. If you don't like my responses, then many of you have found the ignore button.

Krazy, have you tried Shapleys M-T-G on Layla's legs? That stuff is amazing I am telling you. Glad you didn't have much trouble with your wisdome tooth. I had two pulled and they were fine. My 5 tooth bridge however, was extremely painful when he first did it and put the temporaries in! But it was well worth it once it was all said and done. We have Mtn. bikes and ride them all summer long. We like to go to parks and ride on the bike paths. My son and hubby call them Mama parks, cause I will go ride there. I won't go ride "real" mtn. bike trails that are really steep up and down and all rutted out and rough. Nope, I'm to old for that nonsens, give me a nice bike path. But we go for about 8 to 12 mile rides! I love it. And then of course the kayaks will be coming out soon as well. Love doing that all summer long.

Shiloh, I will ask my farrier about the heels next time he comes. He's coming this Wed. His front feet aren't so bad, it's the back ones that are crushed. Truly crushed.

My arena has two railroad ties in each corner to mark the corners and then just 3 landscape timbers up each side, spaced out along the entire length, to mark the sides, then my cones for the letters just outside the perimeter. We measured it with string and a square to mark each corner. It's nothing fancy, but it is clearly and precisely marked and eventually we plan to use railroad ties around the entire perimeter. The arena itself is 200' x 90' and we measured it out inside the arena. Now, the arena is not perfectly square and the previous owners did that so as to save some of the trees, but there is plenty of room inside it to have a perfectly square dressage arena and it has a nice level base and good footing.

I think I will cut Beau's stitches out on Monday. That will have been 14 days and it is healing nicely. He now lets me wash it without pitching a fit and there is only a little swelling left on the inside corner of his eyelid. It is healing very nicely. He's such a sweet boy.

For those of you wondering about tempi, she has a blog too. In which she gripes about a judge pulling her aside for not wearing her formal attire to a schooling show. Which is not only at the KHP, but also very clearly states on the entry that formal attire is required. I know because I have showed on that series before and had to get special permission to show in alternative attire as all my show attire was in FL, and I was in KY.

Shiloh, if you're going to quote me, get it correct. It was non formal attire at a schooling show (they do have those at KHP). If you really are curious over the passage it said this:

Flash forward a few hours, I'm on, I'm riding and ready to go in, but prior to the event I get yanked aside by the judge who is bent (at a schooling show) for everyone to be formally dressed.

While I'm all for wearing my jacket at shows, and looking the part, it's a schooling show. It's not meant to be serious, it's meant to be relaxed. While wearing your attire is encouraged, it should not be enforced. The way I also see it is since I'm riding not with the crowd (ala training and intro)-- I'm doing you the favor of having something to judge other than horses that can't go on he bit.

Which leads me to think if I go down the centerline at PSG at one of these shows, I'll wear something similar, if something worse. Haven't decided.

Aside the mellowdrama from the fashion police, the test went smooth. The medium trot just wasn't firing on all cylinders, my impression of a sitting trot was odd, but the canter work was quite nice. We scored 60 percent and change, enough to place second over a green third level horse and under a seasoned stuck-at-second level pair.

Edited by tempichange

Tempi, there is nothing wrong with correct training and no one on this board will argue with you on the fact that dressage is a tough discipline and requires correct training.

One thing we do not do on this board, however, is put each other down. Instead, we all try to boost each other up. When anyone gives advice, they try and do so in an upbeat, positive, constructive and helpful way, rather than sound like a know it all and put everyone down.

So perhaps, if you want to join in and post with all of us, start over and introduce yourself on the board. The chit chat thread is a good place to do that. Then, if you are all set on offering advice, find a constructive and positive manner in which to do so! :happy0203:

edited to correct a typo!

Edited by Boocoo

There was a RR tie arena at a place I boarded in TN and I really liked it. It kept the footing in quite nicely, and one thing is for sure, no one broke those things riding into them!

Where did you get RR ties though, and how on earth did you move them into place? I have heard not to use the real RR ones because they have been coated in something toxic? Is that really an issue? Only one of mine chews on wood, and that is only if he is locked in my "stall" while I am riding. Goofy Arab, he actually licked the soap off the wood and then resumed chewing.

I have certainly considered RR ties, and would prefer them, if it is at all practical for me to do it.

One more question, you are in TX right? On sand or another type of soil? I am on sand and am not putting a base down at this time because riding on the sand isn't bad. The plot is already level and doesn't hold water, so no real NEED for a base.

Tempichange-This makes me glad I never read your blog.

While I'm all for wearing my jacket at shows, and looking the part, it's a schooling show. It's not meant to be serious, it's meant to be relaxed. While wearing your attire is encouraged, it should not be enforced. The way I also see it is since I'm riding not with the crowd (ala training and intro)-- I'm doing you the favor of having something to judge other than horses that can't go on he bit.

Go back and read your blog. Listen for the tone of voice in your head. It sounds kind of snobbish.

While correct training is great. Sometimes you have to get creative abd go against the norm. Especially if your horse has had a different career previous to dressage. That is why I come to this bosrd. A lot of these ladies have dealt with the problems I am going through. Thst is to say where some of the classical ideas don't work right away. Yes you get to the place where it would work but it takes a little more.

For example when I started dressage I had a push the horse onto the bit no matter what type trsiner. That didn't work on my barrel horse. It just made her tense and explode forward. I came here and got some wonderful advice from some great people. Now they are stuck with me hanging around.

I say no bickering on the chit chat board...this is our fun place. Where are those ignore instructions? This is my happy place.

A busy day planned, so I will catch up later...hopefully with some pictures, as Shiloh requested:-)

You southerners are lucky to have a better ground base to use for arenas...I had to have all kinds of excavating done, then six inches of big rock, 8 inches of pea gravel, then my river sand, which I need more of. Stuff is way too expensive.

Talk to you all later!!

Where did you get RR ties though, and how on earth did you move them into place? I have heard not to use the real RR ones because they have been coated in something toxic? Is that really an issue? Only one of mine chews on wood, and that is only if he is locked in my "stall" while I am riding. Goofy Arab, he actually licked the soap off the wood and then resumed chewing.

Try your local RR yard. I know RJ Corman has a few tracks down there and would probably sell you the old ones. Or you might want to try the local government.

Sometimes you have to get creative abd go against the norm. Especially if your horse has had a different career previous to dressage. That is why I come to this bosrd. A lot of these ladies have dealt with the problems I am going through. Thst is to say where some of the classical ideas don't work right away. Yes you get to the place where it would work but it takes a little more.

All for getting creative, as long as the creative produces correct (and I didn't say classical, which is another kettle). Riding 'off breeds' or horses with baggage, as the judges put it, does that. '

And while the entry might sound snarky-- the show was a schooling show and it is fairly notorious for people to pull horses out of a field and show up; not prepared, not ready to go. To me, if you're going to snark at me for showing up to a schooling show not fully dressed, on a frigid day, and not bother to groom the warm-up (or the arenas) or hold the same standards for others, then I have every right to have a laugh and snark right back.

Still plan on going down the centerline with sparkily polos, and an ostentatious neon-colored ultra, boarderline barfy-cute pad when I get the chance.

But, in short: it's a schooling show, not the USEF/DF Regionals. They were making the situation out be a mountain when all they really have is a molehill.