Sign in to follow this  
CowgirlRanchHand03

Young Horses And...

So I brought my soon to be 5 yr old to a show just to ride around the warm up pen and let him see the sights and sounds....Wow..he was a wreck!! He freaked out at EVERY noise and would constantly chop on his bit(which was driving me nuts). While just walking around, if another horse came trotting loping by he wanted to take off because he was scared of them being too close, I was afraid to let him gallop in fear he would spoke and do something stupid like buck...or make a big scene. The first time I brought him to a show last year, he was WAY better... Anyways...I know he's young and still learning, we're going to bring him to a fun night on Tuesday, I'm hualing him every chance I get.....I'm just wondering if you guys have any tip/advice to make his/and mine, learning expereice better and more constructive????? FYI: he's teeth are going to get done soon. I realize he's out of his comfort zone, b/c when I got home I went for a trail ride..and he was Perfect!!

Perhaps getting him tired out sorta before I head out to a show?? idk...Telll me your opinions. and what you do... Thanks CRH 03

i had the same problem with my soon to be four year old mare last year! [Crazy] she was looking and sorta freaking at everything it was ambaressing lol. well by the end of the day though she was sleeping with horses trooting and loping by her.

with more experiance your horse will probably calm down as he sees its nothing to worry about. also another good thing to do would take an old timer that your horse knows. the second show i went to with my mare a friend went with us with an older horse that my mare got along with and she was perfect! i donno why, maybe seeing a horse she knew calm helped keep her calm?

also you said you were scared he would buck or make a big scene. if you dont have confidence, chances are neither will your horse. only you know the limits of your horse, so maybe for the first couple of shows just trot and walk him around until you and your horse are completely relaxed.

if possible. park your trailer farther away from all the other horses and show ring and away from anything else exciting. if at any time you feel overwhelmed you could just retreat and give your horse a break from everything.

well, i hope this helps! [smiley Wavey]

Gotta love young horses! And something about horses running really sets them off.

If you're set up at home where you can, one thing that helps is to tie them in the arena and ride by them so they can get used to it. Lots of ponying too.

As far as hauling out, I try to make sure they're turned out a good bit the day or night before to take some of the edge off. Then when I get there, I lead them around and let them see the sights and settle. I'll also lunge to get their mind.

The arena where they have a lot of the barrel races here is a nice set up. It's got livestock chutes around one side so you can tie horses right off of there, including right by the alley way. I've hauled there just to tie my horses & let them hang out and not even ride. Just let them hang out and get over the excitement.

The more they get out, the better they get. Just keep in mind they're going to be a different horse & don't be in a hurry to do a whole lot.

I like to tie banners to our home arena around the pattern so the young ones get use to them.

I've hauld my 5 year old to several shows, he still hasnt gotten use to horses running up behind him, however when he starts to react I make him move his feet. Get him doing a circle, get his mind off that other horse, calms him down alot.

Best wishes

If you have a second, older and solid horse, take that one too and pony the young one. When i've had a young one i haul them long before they are even broke, and just pony them around and let them stand tied to the trailer. Standing tied is a great teaching tool.

If you don't have that option then just haul him to everything you can, even if it's something you AREN'T entering, just to get him accustomed to commotion. Leave him tied to the trailer, lead him around on foot, ride him, whatever. But just haul him a lot. He'll get used to it.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I've always been to afraid of ponying a young horse at shows just because if they decide to really blow (bolt, buck) because something really sets them off I don't have as much control & it's easier for them to hurt someone else or get loose. If I had one that was just a little nervous and needed the edge taken off, I probably would't worry as much. But a young horse that either hadn't been out or that I knew certain things really set them off I wouldn't.

Of course, I've got one that goes from just about falling alseep to looking like an NFR horse if he gets rattled. So I'm a little more cautious.

Haul Haul Haul, even if it is to stand tied to the trailer the whole day while you are running the other horses.

I have a wild haired 5 year old that is still a handful but she is way better than she used to be, I started hauling her ever chance I got, especially to places with warm up pens so I could ride between events. I have found with her that if she starts to feel like a helium balloon I find the place in the warm up pen where she is the softest and do small figure eights, counter arcs, anything to keep her feet moving in the direction I choose. Much better the direction you choose than the direction they choose. Key is to keep the feet moving and the brain engaged on you and not so much what is around them...good luck!

I have a 7 y/o gelding that has been hauled for almost 2 years and he STILL is scared to death of everything outside of his feild and my arena...if i take him 500 feet away from his pen he is spooking at everything! Ive sacked him out numerous times and he has been all over showing. But he is nearly dangerous to trail ride because he will jump out from under you. I do pony him all the time and it doesnt help...i just kinda gave up and only work him in the arena...

Some do take longer than others and some never totally get over the scaredy cat thing completely. My bay mare was like that...Get her in the arena and headed towards a barrel and you were fine but riding from the trailer to the arena...better have your seatbelt on! She was terrified of everything and you were her safe spot which usually meant she was trying to stand on top of you. She was good on the trail, but parking lots really got her. She had a little safety bubble at her trailer and at the arena-inbetween were bugger monsters and you couldn't convince her otherwise.

Just haul him every chance you get! Trail riding is another great thing to do! My mom has a 5 yr old mare that is a big baby, she is going to go lots of places this year just to stand tied at the trailer!

Ditto to bumper.

I have a three yr old who I'll be hauling to barrel shows this year. Just riding around and standing tied to the trailer. She has been shown halter since she was a weanling, (so she has been hauled quite a bit) but still tends to be a drama queen when it comes to something new. I try keeping her paired up with my eight yr old app. It takes alot for him to get worked up about anything so when she gets spooky about something but sees him not caring she mellows out pretty fast.

So if you have a friend with an experienced horse it may be an idea to have your youngster see that horse not having a problem with anything.