Sign in to follow this  
Big Bay

Spot The...

TICK!!

My poor girl has a tick in her ear. Didn't know until it hurt her so bad that she won't let you touch her ear. Either going to let it fall out(should fall out this afternoon or tomorrow), or might run to the vet and get a sedation shot customized for her weight so that I can sedate her and get it out. Her poor ear is swelling already. Hasn't swollen up more since last night.

2myw7ci.jpg

I have already tried "pinching" her top lip.. ending up with my thumb feeling numb until a little bit ago, now it hurts. And I tried the ear thing but the tick is in her left ear.. so right ear is an EAR none the less.

Nothing worked. I can't put vasaline in her ear, it could melt from the heat and drop into her ear and cause an infection.

Edited by It'sATallBay

Um, why don't you just pull it off? If it's hurting her that bad and you are able to pull it out from the head then I would definately do that instead of wait for it to fall off. In fact it might not fall off, it could burrow in even deeper.

I don't know, if it were me I would just take it off of her. I live in MN and we have horrible ticks in the summer, I just always pull them off when I see them..never had a problem with it..someone correct me if I'm wrong :confused0024:

I think the point is that the mare won't let her touch the ear since its so sore.

Shoot, I'd be worried that the tick would fall INTO her ear. just gives me the willies...

Ditto to This is It! I can't see the tick that well, but if you are talking about one of those big gray ones, it is also full of babies. Ewwww.

Get that thing out.

I would spray it with a spray bottle but it is IN her ear. It scares ME TOO that the tick can fall INTO her ear. I really just want to get the shot and sedate her to get it out.

Yes is is a grey on that is getting bigger by the hour.

We just got this mare Monday.(March 23, 2009) I already tried pulling it out, she jerked her head away. She is short but she can get that head high and far away from me lol.

Maybe I can spray it with listerine and stand there and whipe it with a rag really quickly to get it out? Still scared it will fall in her ear.

Edited by It'sATallBay

Girl just go to the vet and get the shot that way you don't have to be so worried about letting it fall in th ear or not getting it all out. Have someone help you . Get a pair of hemostats or tweezers. Wish I was there to help I have to pluck the things out allllll day long in the summer when Im grooming dogs...

Do you have an ear plug that you could shove down her ear to prevent the tick from falling in? I have had to pull a tick out of our pony's ear before but it was way farther down the ear than yours. Luckily she is really good about her ears. Gross, gross, gross.

:twitch::sick:

If you cant think of any other ways to get it out, and she wont let you touch it... just go for the shot, then you're guaranteed to get the nasty lil thing out of her ear and be able clean the area thoroughly...

im itching all over now... grrrrrossss.

Good luck!

You can directly spray piranha fly spray onto the tick and it will kill it. It won't matter if the spray goes down in the ear as it will kill any others that are lurking that you don't see. My colt had a tick on his ear drum and the vet took a syringe with piranha and squirt it down in his ear. Next day he was pretty much back to normal.

Okay, so if you need a quick "twitch" for her nose, you can use those plastic clamps, and clamp it on her nose. then bend her ear back and get that sucker outta there!

If not, go get the shot and sedate her and get it out that way.

Also, you can put vaseline in her ear in the summer, it won't melt. We do that a lot of times when mites or whatever come out in the summer, all the horses get vaseline in their ears to keep them from eating their poor ears.

IT'S OUT!!

I sprayed listerine in her ear and left and went to a friends after about 5 minutes of waiting. She shook her head alot before I left and the dang fat blood sucker wouldn't let go. When I got back(bout 4 hours later) IT WAS OUT!!

She let me touch her ear and since it was already mostly dark outside, I will just clean her all up tomorrow and make sure the dang thing ain't in her ear. It is infected where he was sucking on her, so I will get that cleaned up tomorrow.

I am so happy my girl is out of pain.. or atleast will be. She can't be in too much pain cause she let me touch her ear(she had mosquitoes on her ears). Oh I am so happy its out!!

Any suggestions on what to put on the bo-bo that the stupid tick caused?