Sign in to follow this  
goldentoes

Joining The Dark Side...

So, apparently I'm being drafted by my friends' eventing team (believe it or not, they have named themselves "team bad decision") to experience my first outing at Beginner Novice at VHT.

I've been down banks and through water, but looking at some of the courses online, I'm not sure how this is going to work out. Any words of advice for a wannabe hunter princess crossing the boundary?

I'm a little afraid that I won't be able to find the "back seat" by then, and that my love of the long spot might be my undoing. Fortunately I'll be mounted on a CANTER horse in training whose tendency when confused by his rider is just to stop or run out.

(and yes, we will be going schooling several times, and hopefully to an unrecognized event first to get our toes wet, and if things aren't progressing well we'll have a different rider take him, if that's allowed).

Additionally, advice on colors would be appreciated. My corrupting influences have nixed the idea of a leopard print saddlepad, much to my disappointment.

Hah hah! You'll probably win the event, lol! Seriously. BN is kinda like a hunter course on hills with a couple of different types of fences (maybe a bank, a ditch, some water, a down hill fence, a skinny). Have you ever done fox hunting or a hunter pace?

Hint to the wise, just be secure in your saddle and remember that it's better to be a little left behind than a little too far forward.

As for colors, don't give it too much thought. If your rescue has some colors, use them. Have fun with a helmet cover, the vest/shirt and the saddle pad. If you want colored boots, go for it, but black or white brushing boots work just fine. As long as you don't try to go out to xc with some polo wraps or SMB's, you'll be fine!

Edited by Sylves

oooooo yay!

Basically, just think about staying tall and keeping your stomach strong and pointing your belly where you want to go and you will have fun! make sure you have a solid galloping postion.

Since your doing BN, having long spots are ok. well they are never "ok" but if your going to go long, BN is the place to do it, b/c jumps are much smaller, but if you think about staying tall and strong, then I feel like your long spots will be less long... (but obviously i don't know you, so who knows. lol)

Remember to smile!!! and have fun!!!!

I love Virgina Horse Park, I went to a horse trial there last halloween weekend.

If you want cheetah print go for it! just maybe don't do cheetah print and hot pink... but really, wear what ever your happy and confident in.

I'm trying to get our logo on a saddlepad, then I can just wear a royal blue shirt. :)

I think about this stuff way too much.

As for long spots, lately I've been concentrating really hard on not jumping ahead and sitting down, and my reward has been a bunch of close ones/chips. LOL

Edited by goldentoes

Once you do your first event, you'll forever consider yourself an eventer!

You know that you are required to show us pictures when it's all said and done, right?!

Edited by Sylves

Oh, I'm sure there will be MUCH documentation of this process, heh.

Starting this weekend, we're off to FPP for some schooling and beer.

Sooooo.... Yesterday went really well :) I do not know if it went so well because I'm in an allergy/claritin haze so I couldn't overthink anything (and I swear it makes my butt feel heavy) or what, but here are some little vids from FPP yesterday:

Little log drop:

The "yee-haw" jump near the cows:

My favorite, the Log thingy up the hill to the... straw bale super-mini table-like thingy:

(I did that a bunch of times)

From earlier, when Klondike was still throwing tantrums and trying to canter sideways... tiny coop to the zigzag thingamajig to the ditch:

I did really well at WAITING for the jumps, pictures show I'm still ahead of the motion a bit but I think shortening my stirrups another hole will help with that. But I had NO really huge launches, and no instances of jumping way ahead and causing horse to lose confidence. He felt like he'd jump anything I pointed him at by the end of the day, which was pretty cool :)

I think we'll be OK for VHT if things keep progressing like this :) I started out really worried about the XC, but now I'm more worried about the stressage part.

Ah, you guys look awesome! It was fun watching the videos- it brought back fun memories... It looks like they've added some fences since I've last seen FPP!

Kelly! You looked like a "real" eventer in the last video! It was awesome to see how well you just sat and waited for the fence when he got a little strong to it.

I'm sure the event is going to be fantastic. You're a great jock, and I know you and the CANTER ponies click!

Have a great time! And don't worry so much about distances- keep a steady gallop (or even canter) up, and they'll come to you.

I think for now we'll be cantering/hand galloping. No need to really go in BN, LOL

Trying to figure out the schedule now- looks like an intro for the weekend of the ninth- either a local short course, or a real one in VA. Not sure yet. :)

I need some more dressage work, in a big way. Thought we were doing OK until my lesson last week, in which I learned we have a LOT to work on. Even for a BN level test.

Your coach is hysterical.

You should get a t-shirt made with a couple of her sayings on it,

'Get ugly up there if ya gotta, be a monkey!'

Do you have BN test A? I hate, hate, hate that test. Who thought it would be a great idea to have the first movement for the green beans to be a short diagonal rollback type mess? Drives me nuts. Test B rides so much better.

There better be a ton of pictures from this event! All the horses are so cute- I'm sure you'll do great.

I don't even know what test it is (honestly, my teeny bit of experience with memorizing stuff leads me to believe I am better off not learning it now. If I practice frequently and have it so memorized I can do it in my sleep, the odds are around 95% that I will forget it in competition. I know.). I can't even figure out how to enter. Fortunately I have People who can help me.

I got all official over the weekend, found a fantastic deal on a tipperary vest at Rolex, added a matching royal blue saddlepad and front boots with blue closures so at least we will look adorable.

:)

Ditto to BN test A. I hear you on that. Anyways, Good luck! You guys look great and I'm super excited for you! It sounds like you are gearing up for a good first event. I want to go BN so badly! The XC fences are so much fun, aren't they? Big enough that they are actual jumps but small enough that its a welcoming course.

Well things are all up in the air now. Horsey keeps hurting himself in turnout and is all wonky on a stifle, so there's a good chance I won't be going to a little prep thingy. eek.

put a martingale strap/breatplate on him and hang on!! And don't be afraid to trot. There is no reason you have to be in a gallop or even a canter the whole time. Even when I took my horse training a few times, we still trotted on the course!

It's official, we're out of VHT and doing an unrec'd at waredaca instead (june somethingth).

That stifle-kick is just too iffy. booooo!

Might still go to VHT to hang out, if anyone is going to be there :)

OK people, it's official- unrecognized at Waredaca, June 21.

Is anyone going to be there to point and laugh? Or exclaim about how wannabe hunter riders are ruining the sport? *grin*