Sign in to follow this  
Cheri Wolfe

Wild Fires All Over Southern And Central Oklahoma

Well, the wind has been blowing about 40 - 60 MPH all day with a 10% humidity. There are at least 30 wild fires burning between N Texas and OKC. Many houses have burned down and many are still burning. They have evacuated several small towns south and west of us now. I just picked up 3 horses west of Davis that belong to a young man that works for us. The fires were 100 yards from his house and right at the edge of his 5 acre pasture when I left an hour ago. They are directing all of I-35 south to go east on state hwy 7 through Davis and Sulphur and then south at Sulphur. The smoke across I-35 has visability to 0. I don't know if we know any of the people that have already lost home. The radio said they have also lost 50 homes east of OKC and I know they also lost himes south of Ardmore. They are opening up shelters all over the state. With whole towns evacuated, there are going to be a lot of people for Red Cross and the churchs to take care of.

[Angel] [Angel] [Huggy] [Huggy]

That is just horrifying.

I will pray that everyone, human and animal, stay safe.

There are fires about 1 hour west of us and not had any updating on it. I just switch to the local news channel that broadcasts from 7pm to 9pm. and see if I hear of anything. There was one in Parker county but I heard it got contained. News just came on and said the wind advisory had technically expired. There are fire warnings for the larger fires in Montague, Jacksboro, Graham, Parker, Eastland and Granbury. Winds have really drop now to anywhere from 7 to 10 mph. I hope they get the fires out soon now. Suppose to have storms Sat night and Sunday.

The winds also blew all of the smoke and dust to DFW area and when I got off from work, I could see the haze and smell the smoke.

Have a GREAT week

Edited by horses forever

My mom and pop live outside Healdton, off 76, they have an animal rescue there, the animals have been evacuated, some are on stock trailers, over 160 dogs, along with cats in crates and livestock. The firers were at their pasture line, almong the trees, which is about 5/6 acres from their house. At the time I talked to my Pop, he said there were people there from all around tring to help out, one of the neighbors lost everything.....

I couldn't get ahold of my mom for hours but as of 2 am this morning she dropped me a email and told me what going on, they are as of now safe! Hopefully and praying the winds stay down, so they can get better control of these firers. We have friends also that live in Choctaw....haven't heard from them, but one of the roads where the fire has been is theirs!

Prayers please! Cheri and horses forever....glad to know you are okay! PLease keep up posted!

Sending many [Angel] [Angel] for everyone affected.

Stay safe everyone [Huggy]

I didn't realize how bad it was in Oklahoma right now. [Angel] to all the people there and I hope it ends soon.

yes it was very scary I live in Choctaw Ok one of the hardest hit towns. By the time I heard there was a fire headed our way and that they were evacuating the police already wouldn't let me get in to two of my horses on a property just west of my place. I was totally freaking out because even though I was pretty sure that those horses would be ok as they both could easily clear the fence if they had to but I also had my only trailer at that property and needed it to evacuate my other six at my house one full sized horse, a shetland, two mini geldings, a three month old colt, and a very pregnant due any day mini mare. I finally was able to get someone headed to my house with a trailer and they didn't make it in time for when the police said we needed to be out so I walked my horses down the road till they got just outside of Choctaw. It was a very rough walk, the colt had just been started with halter breaking and was terrified of everything and man I had my hands full.

Thankfully everyone and everything was ok at both properties when we were let back in the next morning, but it was very close.

I am surprised with all of the added stress of the fire and the two 45 min trailer rides my mare didn't ever go into labor, ugh she is driving me nuts.

MMN

MissMotherNature-Glad to hear you are all safe, what an adventure.

My mom and pop pulled through, as well, she was in Lawton when all broke loose down by there place and the roads were blocked, she couldn't get home, 1 1/2 drive. She didn't have a clue as to how close the fire was to her place, right in the back pasture...but all is well, the animals have been brought back by the wonderful people who rescued them for her, one man had 30 dogs in his stock trailer, then a couple other people she didn't even know came in to rescue....over 160 dogs and then over 100 cats, livestock was left on the property, they moved them up close to the house.

She did say the next morning that when driving she saw some livestock on the roads burned. One of her neighbors lost everything from animals to home....very sad situation up there. I am suprised that this wasn't more on the news.

Anyway, we used to live in Choctaw, my boys went to school there MANY a year ago, we have friends there that live off Anderson Rd, I do hope all is well with them.

You take care and hope to hear about that new little one due...she must be a strong mare not to have that baby at such a stressfull time....

Hopefully the rain we got this weekend will help prevent the fires from getting worse.