Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

I felt like it was time for a new thread, lol!

We were discussing the following:

* measuring dressage arenas and Shiloh's determination to be dead on with the measurements (lol)

* figuring out a solution to Beau's heals: Smart Sox supps for Beau and Shioh suggested trimming the "yuckies" on the heals that refuse to grow out to help promote new growth.

*Beau's eye- stitches are coming out soon!

* Layla's hind legs (the hair coming off in clumps): Zinc for Layla?

* KTM's dental appointment (OUCH!) and the aftermath of discomfort, hours out of the saddle and a little bike riding

* LS's adventures of saddle fitting (and the much anticipated Stubben that didn't work out) and the fires in her country, again! Oh, and LS's bunny is so cute!

* Shiloh's new double bridle that was advertised as a cob size, but was really a pony size

* buying the pre-made/pre-measured arena versus making an arena from scratch (different materials, ideas for measuring, etc)

*CSA's painting is nearing a finish; it's lookin' good thus far! CSA will have their first show soon! CSA plans to teach a friend to ride.

* Echo's ouchy leg and pilates for riders. We're waiting for more pictures of ES and Echo, and THAT NEW SADDLE that they love!

*Eventer's classes have her bogged down with more papers due on Monday, so that'll keep her out of the saddle. Scotch will get a little break.

*Shelby had her hocks done successfully, so it sounds like she'll be back in work soon (or she has already started up with schooling again). Beck's and KTM's weather is whackier than a fruit cake...

*Boocoo's show season is coming to a close (right?) already because of the weather! It's getting nasty hot in TX with brush fires to intensify the heat. Boocoo, are you anywhere near the fires?

*Tracy must be busy with school and the new barn. It sounds like she's happy with the new set up! She's on a job search as her senior year quickly comes to a close. She plans to stay in Iowa.

* Tempi is a little upset about our talking behind her back, which I can understand; I'm as guilty as the rest of us, especially with my comment about the D3 rating. In speaking for myself, I was slightly shocked at her posts; I found them to be egotistical and demeaning with a hint of good advice. I think just a slight adjustment to the way she expresses her opinions and to the way that she shares her advice might serve her well, especially when developing a rewarding Internet relationship the others on this board. Boocoo suggests an opportunity to make a change from negative to positive, and to reacquaint herself to the others with a bit more tolerable attitude.

Please forgive me if I forgot something... :-) Also, please forgive my typos, because I know there are some (I'm tired....)

Okay, so we had a good day with Shannon. She is taking her meds fairly well. She's sleeping right now, so it would be smart for me if I could hit the sack too! I miss Jaggar. Beck, thankfully Chad and I share barn chores. He is much neater than I when it comes to cleaning the barn!

As Sunday approaches, I would like to wish everyone a very happy Easter! He lives!

Edit to add: Haha! It's "heels," not "heals" when referring to the anatomy of the hoof... [Duh]

Edited by Sylves

Last couple of posts:

From Boocoo

Krazy, have you tried Shapleys M-T-G on Layla's legs? That stuff is amazing I am telling you. Glad you didn't have much trouble with your wisdome tooth. I had two pulled and they were fine. My 5 tooth bridge however, was extremely painful when he first did it and put the temporaries in! But it was well worth it once it was all said and done. We have Mtn. bikes and ride them all summer long. We like to go to parks and ride on the bike paths. My son and hubby call them Mama parks, cause I will go ride there. I won't go ride "real" mtn. bike trails that are really steep up and down and all rutted out and rough. Nope, I'm to old for that nonsens, give me a nice bike path. But we go for about 8 to 12 mile rides! I love it. And then of course the kayaks will be coming out soon as well. Love doing that all summer long.

Shiloh, I will ask my farrier about the heels next time he comes. He's coming this Wed. His front feet aren't so bad, it's the back ones that are crushed. Truly crushed.

My arena has two railroad ties in each corner to mark the corners and then just 3 landscape timbers up each side, spaced out along the entire length, to mark the sides, then my cones for the letters just outside the perimeter. We measured it with string and a square to mark each corner. It's nothing fancy, but it is clearly and precisely marked and eventually we plan to use railroad ties around the entire perimeter. The arena itself is 200' x 90' and we measured it out inside the arena. Now, the arena is not perfectly square and the previous owners did that so as to save some of the trees, but there is plenty of room inside it to have a perfectly square dressage arena and it has a nice level base and good footing.

I think I will cut Beau's stitches out on Monday. That will have been 14 days and it is healing nicely. He now lets me wash it without pitching a fit and there is only a little swelling left on the inside corner of his eyelid. It is healing very nicely. He's such a sweet boy.

AND

Tempi, there is nothing wrong with correct training and no one on this board will argue with you on the fact that dressage is a tough discipline and requires correct training.

One thing we do not do on this board, however, is put each other down. Instead, we all try to boost each other up. When anyone gives advice, they try and do so in an upbeat, positive, constructive and helpful way, rather than sound like a know it all and put everyone down.

So perhaps, if you want to join in and post with all of us, start over and introduce yourself on the board. The chit chat thread is a good place to do that. Then, if you are all set on offering advice, find a constructive and positive manner in which to do so!

edited to correct a typo!

From Shiloh

There was a RR tie arena at a place I boarded in TN and I really liked it. It kept the footing in quite nicely, and one thing is for sure, no one broke those things riding into them!

Where did you get RR ties though, and how on earth did you move them into place? I have heard not to use the real RR ones because they have been coated in something toxic? Is that really an issue? Only one of mine chews on wood, and that is only if he is locked in my "stall" while I am riding. Goofy Arab, he actually licked the soap off the wood and then resumed chewing.

I have certainly considered RR ties, and would prefer them, if it is at all practical for me to do it.

One more question, you are in TX right? On sand or another type of soil? I am on sand and am not putting a base down at this time because riding on the sand isn't bad. The plot is already level and doesn't hold water, so no real NEED for a base.

KTM-Ouch. I know you said it didn't hurt but I know people who ended up curled on the couch for a day. What kind of bike did you get?

LTS-Sorry to hear about the saddle. I hope you find something soon.

Shiloh-If you figure the measurements out in feet let me know. I would like to be ablr to set up something in the ring to practice a test every now and again.

ES-Sorry to hear about Echo's leg. But like Sylves sadi WE NEED PICS.

3Day- At least the weather is miserable. You shouldn't get to distracted with the paper.

Sylves-Glad to hear Shannon is being a little trooper. It is just a bummer you can't take her to ant Easter egg hunts. Oh well there is always next year. Are you going to dye any eggs?

The weather is awful today It is suppose to rain all day. Good for sleeping but that is about it. I ahd a good ride on Cheese yeaterday. She went on the bit for like half a stride at the canter. As soon as I felt her go on the bit I praised her and asked her to top. She was so ditracted I was afraid if we kept on going it would go sour. She is in season Her mind kept going to the boys in the pasture that is near the ring. Dang mares.

CSA, I don't know what it's like to ride a mare that's in heat, but it doesn't sound like fun! I've always stuck with nice, even-tempered geldings, lol!

* Tempi is a little upset about our talking behind her back, which I can understand; I'm as guilty as the rest of us, especially with my comment about the D3 rating. In speaking for myself, I was slightly shocked at her posts; I found them to be egotistical and demeaning with a hint of good advice. I think just a slight adjustment to the way she expresses her opinions and to the way that she shares her advice might serve her well, especially when developing a rewarding Internet relationship the others on this board. Boocoo suggests an opportunity to make a change from negative to positive, and to reacquaint herself to the others with a bit more tolerable attitude.

Wasn't upset, trust me, I was following it. Was more curious than anything why people just don't go to the source to ask the question.

Didn't catch the D-3 thing, could you reference?

Thorns aside, I am who I am. It may come across negative, but in reality, I am just very direct, and I'm fairly cheap with words. If that (and apparently does to a few) come across negative, then I apologise.

CSA, I don't know what it's like to ride a mare that's in heat, but it doesn't sound like fun! I've always stuck with nice, even-tempered geldings, lol!

LOL. I think that is why I like mares. They always seem to want to spice life up a bit. Maybe it is just the ones I get to ride. LOL.

Joking aside, Cheese is not to bad. It is just hard to get her attention where it should be. It doesn't help she is stalled right across from a stallion.

CSA, PM me your email addy, and I will scan what I have and send it to you. It came out just a touch off because I had already cut my 197 feet of thread, only to find out that I remembered incorrectly and it is really 196 feet and maybe 6". But I just decided that as much as it pains me to be 6" off, it won't make a big deal in the grand scheme of things. And I am too lazy to go back and re-tie the knots.

Also, mine is a 20x60. I can do the measurements in 20x40 for you if you want.

It is a BEAUTIFUL day here in central Iowa. Fessor and I had a great ride today. He was so good for me, that I cut short the arena portion of the ride and took him out on the trail. Thanks to the C-W-C thread, we got some decent C-W transitions. And Fessor was really trying to come through without changing shape for some of our transitions. We still need to improve our connection over the back, but we are making progress. Fessor was fantastic for our trail ride. He was nice and relaxed with a wonderfully forward walk. We had to stop for a train, and he wasn't particularly thrilled with that idea. I learned that he will stay calmer if I let him walk rather than trying to ask him to stand still. So we walked, did some leg yields off of each leg, and walked in large circles. After the long train finally passed, Fessor walked calmly across the wood and train tracks and kept on going. I LOVE my pony!

I'm very happy with the new barn. Fessor enjoys getting out every day. The people have been very welcoming and friendly. And it is so nice to be able to WORK in the arenas, even when other people are also riding. :D I'm not sure how long I'll be there, though. The most promising job lead I have so far is far enough from Des Moines that I'd need to move. Whatever happens, I'll work something out. It may mean working independently with Fessor, with occasional lessons when I can get them. I don't know if that would mean taking lessons on another horse or trying to buy a second hand truck and trailer so I could take him in somewhere for lessons. If nothing else, I'll take a page out of Sylves book and set up my video camera on a tripod. :)

Have a good weekend, everyone!

Tracy

Hey Tracey- Send some sun our way in PA! Please! Glad to hear you had a fantastic ride on your boy! So you and Fessor are settling in well then. Fantastic! Hears to more great days just like you had!

CSA- very true w/ the bad weather. But today I walked out of work and the sun is out! Whatdaheck! I didn't bring my riding clothes because I thought it would make me want to go to the barn. Which of course I wanted to go ride...but must get papers done. Glad to hear Cheese has been a good girl. She's so cute! Can't wait to hear how your first show goes! PS I'm planning on going to Green Lane in the next month or so...just FYI if you want to meet up :)

Sylves- Happy Easter to you too! :) Do you have any plans? Are ya cooking?

Work work work. That's all I've been doing. Counting down until Rolex! Woot! And then next friday I'll have my Trainer's eyes. YAY!

Ok seriously...walk the dogs and then cracking down on papers

Yea, Tracy is back! Yes, the weather is awesome! I'm glad to read that you got to enjoy the weather. The train sounds a little scary, but thankfully Fessor took it okay. I kinda have to stay inside, unfortunately because Shannon has her RSV pneumonia and I am battling a "Super Virus" apparently. I have orders from the Mom and Hubby that I am to stay out of the barn until I'm done with my z-pak... No fair! Hubby just started his z-pak today (he got what I have), and he's outside right now putting the duallys on tractor... I would love so much to go outside and take Jaggar and Champ on a hack down the dirt road...

You know, I forgot updates from "StopDropRoll" and "GroomerTabby." How are you guys doing? RioTollerAgain also posts on here sometimes. What about KissTheSky and KrazyTbMare? KTS, how is Riley doing? Is he back in work? KTM, I saw that Rex's first two weeks have been successful at his new home!

Tempi, I must had kept the D3 thing to myself. I was just surprised that you included the fact that you made it to your D3 in your "about me" page on your website. The D levels are very basic. The better riders in my region at least pushed for a C2 or higher. Not that PC is the determining factor of our horse knowledge and riding ability, but it is nationally recognized and well respected in most parts of America. I would think that a prof in the equestrian field would try for a higher rating. Surely you could had done higher than your D3. But, maybe you just got sick of the PC politics. Everything has to be so-by-the-book in the PC world. We used to make fun of it all of the time!

Edited by Sylves

Sylves, I hope Shannon continues to improve. I'm so sorry she got sick! Scary stuff! I'm glad to hear that she has a favorite movie. Even if you get sick of Spirit, it will be nice to know she has a movie she'll sit in front of. For my nephews, *the* movie was Beauty and the Beast (disney version). We must have had that on two or three times a day. It was the ONLY thing they would sit in front of for any length of time.

Z-pack for a super virus? Hopefully a super bacteria since the Z-pack will not work on viruses... Either way, I hope you get better quickly!

Tracy

I know, Tracy. I questioned the PA when she suggested I take the z-pak... Apparently this nasty virus causes a bacterial infection that sets in the lungs (pneumonia, bronchitis, etc) over time. Soooo, Chad and I are both on the z-pak, prescribed by two different people (I went to a PA and hubby went to a MD).

Eventer, yes, we have been cooking more than normal. We could trade; I'll write your papers, and you could keep up our house, lol! Just kidding. You're probably so ready for summer break, lol!

OK, I guess I can see using it to prevent a secondary infection. And if they know that a lot of people have been getting secondary bacterial infections, I could see them preventing you from getting even MORE sick.

Sylves - that's not the bridle I bought, but it's the same brand. Mine is much more fine. That one wasn't on Ebay last time I looked though or I would have bought it instead. Its $30 cheaper. Oh well, too late now.

I had that super-virus that turns into a nasty bacterial thing. I got it from a friend over Christmas. We were both sick off and on for 3 months, though she was much sicker than I was. We both have asthma problems now, and the allergies have been way worse. Sucks.

So I feel like a dunce. I just figured out I have 14 RR ties in my front yard that are really doing nothing. Now I just need to finish one more roll of toilet paper so I have something to roll my string onto (keeping up with 197 feet of srting any other way just won't work). Arena here we come!

LOVE the recap Sylves. Thanks!

My socket has been aching since last night. Its not dry socket but just a dull ache, and enough of an annoyance at night that I cant really sleep.

And who knew Darvocet really does NOTHING for me? So I called my boss and he called me in some Loratabs. About to go pick them up.

Today was beautiful here in Florida. At least from 5pm on. LOL With hardly any sleep, I slept until like 345pm, waking up every few hours feeling not-so-hot. But I shall live!

Rex is doing fine. I am sure he thinks I am starving him. He was on like 4lbs of this sweet feed when I got him and he is now transitioned over to 1/2lb of ration balancer plus alfalfa cubes. I just dont like all the sugars in my feed so I give them the vits and minerals they need and add fat as needed. With him being as big as he is, being a little on the thin side right now isnt such a bad thing.

But last night I was able to leave Ben in the round pen and Layla and Rex in the paddock that the round pen is in all night. So Rex and Layla spent their first night together. They did fine though.

BTW, shiloh, you cant really get RR ties anymore. Something to do with the chemical they painted on them, which for the life of me right now is leaving me.

Off to go get my meds....

Homemade dressage arenas... Hum

Large planters with non toxic plants placed in between the letters and in the corners. Large cones with the letters. Ground poles between cones and planters.

Plastic stakes that drive into the ground with white chain or rope tied to the tops of the stakes.

???

Jaggar needs to get used to different types of dressage arenas; we tried riding him in our homemade dressage arena, and he was bulging away from the perimeter the whole time.

Shiloh, I like your idea of measuring the string and storing it on a paper towel roll! Great idea!

So, I am just now eating dinner; it has been a long day! It was sunny, but chilly and windy and I got a lot done. DH has been watching soccer most of the day.

Tracy-So glad you are getting to enjoy Fessor and your new facility! You must feel so much better! How many horses are at this facility?

Sylves-I hope Shannon is feeling better! What a long week for you guys. I don't listen to anybody and ride all the time when I am not supposed to! Stitches, dr's orders, doesn't matter....I can't help it. If I don't do the chores, they won't get done.

CSA-Is your show next Saturday??? For some reasons I was thinking today and was looking for pictures...hahahaha.

Shiloh-Speaking of pics...I forgot the camera today:( I will get some tomorrow since the whole family will be around for Easter and I will have people to help. They were all so stinking dirty today anyway!

KTM-Glad to hear Rex is settling in so well!

3-Day-When you get done with walking your dogs and your hw, you can come help me with mine:-) My dogs were insane today!

So, had a busy day today...went and picked up some lilies and did a little planting, barn cleaning, etc. So bummer news though, my friend that comes to ride with me has a case of strangles at her barn...so she is not allowed anywhere near my barn now. AHG! We have so much fun too! Her BO does some hauling and brings a lot of strange horses in, so ya, not a good deal going on there. I left a message for my vet to see if other then keeping everyone off of my property, if I need to do anything else. I think it stays in the barn for 5 months and I doubt if they will take the necessary precautions and do the necessary quarantines...ahg. Another friend there was going to move her horse next week, now that certainly won't happen.

I did have a nice ride on Beckham today. My trainer gave me some stuff to work on, one being some 10 meter circles at the canter and he wasn't thrilled to the right:-) Overall, still a good ride with challenging him a bit more.

Happy Easter everyone.

Yea, Tracy is back! Yes, the

Tempi, I must had kept the D3 thing to myself. I was just surprised that you included the fact that you made it to your D3 in your "about me" page on your website. The D levels are very basic. The better riders in my region at least pushed for a C2 or higher. Not that PC is the determining factor of our horse knowledge and riding ability, but it is nationally recognized and well respected in most parts of America. I would think that a prof in the equestrian field would try for a higher rating. Surely you could had done higher than your D3. But, maybe you just got sick of the PC politics. Everything has to be so-by-the-book in the PC world. We used to make fun of it all of the time!

I can't believe that geocities site is still up and running! I haven't updated it since I think when I bought Atherton. Which I think was more than three years ago.

To answer the question-- I left my PC due to three reasons. First reason, is I rode the OT rejects at the time, and while I was working through C-2 or 3 certification (doing all the training and ground work just not the jumping), I didn't have a horse I could test on properly and come through without loosing a few screws.

At that time, I had completed my C-1 at the time (or so I was told), but I was waiting for the USPC to get back to the club to make it official. Didn't believe the source. I was lucky to get the C-1 done, I thought that pony would put me through a oxer.

Any event, But while that was going on, I was invited to train full time with my then dressage coach, it meant leaving the barn and subsequently the club. I let the C-1 rating thing drop entirely. Hindsight I should have stuck around long enough to complete the 2 or 3 and find out about the C-1, but, between high school, riding/training full time and working part time, it was just too much.

By college, I moved south.

The third, if you are curious, was the internal politics of the barn.

But yeah, I learned two schools, the USPC/DQ way (which is still with me in some to many ways and I still thoroughly make fun of on many occasion) and the 'old timer' Kentucky horseman ways.

Shantel- EEP but yeh better drugs! Hope they work this time so you can get some sleep. Wow that is a lot of sweet feed! Glad that you switched him over and have him on Alfalfa cubes. Good choice.

Shiloh- TP! interesting! Good luck finishing the arena. Get some pics of the finished product!

Sylves- Ah greenies! Scotch wouldn't go into the corners his first show. They had big ol' flower boxes in each corner. He'll get use to them I'm sure! I can't wait for this semester to be over. End of the month and I'm done! WOOT!

Beckham- 1 paper done! Thank goodness. I have one more to do for Tuesday. Haven't even looked at the topic yet. How many more weeks do you have left? Sounds like Beckham is a good boy :)

Yup one paper down! And now I'm watching the Sound of Music. Love it!

No to the plastic chain. That stuff is EXPENSIVE and this arena is going in my pasture. SO it needs to be tough. Plants are a no-no too unless they are thorny weeds. The horses eat anything else. They ate my banana tree over the fence. Its now just a stump. I left them near that fence for a couple hours, and my banana tree was just gone. Buttheads.

That's why I'm having trouble figuring out what to use. I think my neighbor might be able to get me some RR ties on the black market of RR ties, though I thought they were making them without the toxic stuff now, or at least they sold the same thing without the toxic stuff for landscaping uses? I can't remember. The 14 I have should get me started, provided my fiance and I can get them into the bed of his truck without killing ourselves.

My mom just chewed me out for spending too much time on HC? I don't understand. I thought I was bringing up the fact that I have an event on May 2nd so I have to get the paperwork in. So then she ranted against my horsey life. I don't know where that came from, considering I just filled out an epic application for a job with Johns Hopkins University's CTY program, filled out Goucher info, while I was talking to her. Sometimes, I think my parents search for something to get angry about. I maintain a 4.0 (legit), got accepted into a good school with a nice scholarship, maintain and balance music, school, riding, social life and work. I understand I need to work on some things, sure, everyone does, but my parents get really, really angry over riding for some reason. Always have, it just bubbles over now and then. They don't really support it, and never will, but don't you think they would get it by now? I'm grateful that they pay my half-lease. I am. I take care of everything else and come home when they call and do my best to keep my horsey life "quiet" so I don't flaunt 'cause they hate it.

*shrugs* I'm 18 now, so I guess it doesn't matter as much as needing their parental permission on the forms! Yay! Go April babies!

Worked my 9 hour shift (yuck!), got to put in my 2nd ride ever on this bay mare (yay!) but didn't get to ride The Pony (boo).

This bay mare is a realllll witch on the ground. Absolutely the most brat attitude you could stuff into one body! Undersaddle? Willing, sweet, an occasional mare moment, but harmless. She requires a lot of leg though and is more unfit than I would like, but its not her fault or her owners! Her owner is a nice young teenager who is going in for her second ankle surgery, so her entire year in terms of riding has been messed up. I've been asked to step in and ride her at least once a week, keep her groomed and in line. I really, really, really enjoy working with her! She is a good egg, despite her manners. We are working on it. I got her to stand for mounting today perfectly on the first try and be a bit more responsive undersaddle, ride into the corners, etc.

Hopefully, between work tomorrow and celebrating Easter with close family friends, I can stealthily slip in a ride on The Pony, since I've been away. After that, its all completing an absolutely deadly Physics test and AP Gov't work and AP English work....:-) Spring Break is the load-on time for work!

I finally got photobucket to work!

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMGP2169.jpg

Thats pretty much all I have. There is rarely anyone around to take pics while I am riding.

dobby, not sure what to say about the parents. The bay mare sounds fun though!

I agree with you Beckham. No bickering on the chit chat thread. Oh, and we watched Slumdog Millionaire tonight. Excellent movie!!!

Tempi, good rule of thumb, read what you have typed before you hit that send button. Nothing wrong with offering advice, but do not hit send if what you have typed is offensive to others. No room for that on this dressage board!! You can always go post on UDBB if you want to be negative. They all seem to be like that over there! Not a nice place at all sometimes, although you can find some really good advice from some very knowledgeable folks over there.

Shiloh, the people who owned my house before us, put the arena in. They put in a base, so it will drain after it rains. You can get railroad ties at landscape places around here. You can also check with the rail road. They sell old ones now and then. We just push them out of the back of the truck and then my DH and I move them where we want them. We put gloves on and heave and ho! Since you only have 14, just put them on your corners and and then put 3 on each side. One in the middle on each side and one half way between the middle and the corner one on each side. That will line it out for you for now. We don't have 197' of string either. We have enough to do one corner and the length on one side. We got that side squared up and then did the other side. Then we did an X across the entire arena to make sure we were even. We used a square on each corner to make sure the string was straight so we knew where to put the rail road ties. They are coated with creosote so as not to rot. We used to paint our wood fences with creosote to keep the horses from chewing on them, way back when. Everyone around here has rail road tie arenas. I also rode in one at some schooling shows in California. Haven't heard anything about them being toxic. I don't think they could sell them if they were??? Where in TN did you live? I used to live in Gallatin, outside of Nashville.

Hauled Beau to my lesson today. He was very aprehensive about riding in the trailer. Every time I slowed down I could hear him stomping. I took it nice and easy for him. He was a goof ball when I was saddling him also and then he did his spin away when I got on him. Silly boy. He hasn't acted like that in a long, long time, but that's how he gets after bad experiences. Poor guy. We just took our time with him. It was also quite cool today, compared to how it has been and lots of activity at my trainers barn today. Once I got on him we worked on getting some relaxation and rhythm. Then we did sitting trot work with no stirrups. Then we did some canter work and he was good for that. We did not work on any c-w-c today as he was just a tad to nervous and pushing Beau when he is in that frame of mind is not a good idea. I have only ridden him twice in the past two weeks, ever since he hurt himself, so considering all that, he did remarkably well. I should be able to get back into a routine now. He always does best with repitition. He is also due to be shod. My shoer comes on Wed. So that will help as well.

Happy Easter everyone. What is everyone doing? We will go to church, and then lunch for dh's b.day and then he wants to go spend his b.day $$ !! Should be a fun day!

Edited by Boocoo

Chad's mom came over to our house this morning with Easter treats for Shannon! She was so cute; ewing and ahing! She had her breathing treatment and oral meds before Grandma's visit, so we got the yuckies out of the way. She just hates the oral meds, but she is accepting the nebulizer a little better now. Unfortunately the oral meds might be the generic brand, which means the taste is comprimised. Yuck!

Yea, I get to finally get to have some Jag time! I plan on using the jump saddle and taking a hack down the dirt road, but it's so darn windy... Maybe I'll stick with the dressage saddle and do some w/t in his yard, like I always do. It'll be nice to get out.

No church for us, but we did have a little Bible and prayer time. It feels weird to miss church on such a special day! I'm actually considering calling pastor to see if he'd visit us at home to do Communion and a little Bible study with us...??? We're way over-due for Communion!

Dobby, I feel your pain. It was so darn difficult when I was 18, still at home, and getting ready for college. Hind sight, I wonder if my parents were having just as hard of a time that I was having. It sounds like you work hard with your job, school work, family life and horses. I know how it feels; you just want to feel appriciated and be granted some freedom to do your own thing. When you start up college, you will REALLY appriciate the freedom from the parents!

Boocoo, It's a good thing that Beau actually got on the trailer, lol! Mission accomplished! You two will be back into normal work in no time!

Shiloh, I love those pictures! What a pretty mare. You have kept her looking really good!

Eventer, you must be really good at writing reports/essays! Kudos to you! Would you agree that things will ease up for Dobby when she goes to college? Isn't the freedom while at college SOOO much better than those last few months before leaving for college?

Tempi, that makes sense. As an example, KTS is only a C2 currently, but I KNOW that she could EASILY get her A. I got my B, but by no means am I a B anymore, lol! I'm more like a D3 at this moment! I really miss Pony Club, though. I had some wonderful times. Everything I know about horses, I learned in Pony Club (and from my vet who had to visit our barn MANY times for Dee's high maintance health...). Tempi, what do you do? When I routed to your geocities website from you HC profile, I saw that you're into raising sport ponies. Are you mostly into the dressage aspects of breeding, or do you specialize in other sports? What are your favorite breeding stallions? Forgive me as I have zero background in breeding.

Okay, gotta go. I feel like I neglect my family when I'm on HC.... Dobby, when I read about how your parents thought you were on HC too much, I sorta thought the same about myself...

HAPPY EASTER you guys! Have a wonderful day!!!!

Sylves- thanks for saying she is lovely! I finally have it down to a science on keeping her. She MUST have alfalfa or she gets a bit nutty, and she needs a low-starch feed, and 1/4 cup of epsom salts. She is naturally shiney, and her filly has inherited that beautiful metallic sheen. And the muscle too.

Now if only I could get the mare to stop itching her mane, maybe it would grow back out. I really think they just do it for fun half the time.

I'm glad Shannon is feeling better. Sick kiddos are no fun.

boocoo, the more i hear about beau, the more i think he might be Lucy's long-lost sibling. She is the same way when she gets nervous. You just can't do much with her.

Well today Im doing better. Yesterday wasnt so great. The darvocet wasnt doing jack crap! I finally got my boss to call in some hydrocodine for me. That works much better BUT it makes me itch and upsets my stomach but at least it gets rid of the aching.

Randy came home for a little break from work. He made me french toast and sausage for Easter breakfest/lunch. Then we went on a short bike ride. Oh and I calculated wrong. Four times up and down my street is a little over a mile, not half a mile. So today we did a little over a mile again.

Then we went to the barn to play with the baby horse. I had Randy hold the lead rope on one side and clipped the other side to the cross tie. So that way he was "cross tied" but one end wasnt attached to the wall in case he had a moment. He knows how to straight tie but we are learning with the cross tying.

Anyways, I groomed him and thank goodness we are finally getting rid of all of that hair! He is starting to slick out. We brushed his mane and tail, and then went onto the feet.

He is good about picking up his feet, esp his hinds, but his fronts he still does that "OMG Im going to fall over" thing and doesnt always hold it up for me. So today it was nice to have Randy holding him. But I went around and did all of his feet and he didnt take one misstep or do anything bad. He was perfect. So of course he got a lot of cookies.

Then he got fly sprayed. LOL Hes not quite sure about the cold liquid going all over him. He tucks his butt like when you hose them off and its cold. But he was good, as usual.

After that I put the bridle on him for like 5 mins and then took it off and took him out into the pasture and did some leading/ground work. Finally I put a saddle pad and surcingle on him and made him trot around a bit. He could totally care less.

Boo, glad Beau worked through him being tense. I dont blame him after his poor eye. But he will get through it.

Shiloh, what does she itch her mane on? My 3 y/o used to do that by putting his head through the fence. Maybe put some hot wire on whatever she uses to rub her mane on?

Sylves, good to hear Shannon is taking better to the meds. And what fun for her to have Gma come over with goodies. Hope you had a good Easter!

Argh.. I want to ride SOOOOOOO badly. I know better though. I guess I will go take another pill and let it make me sleepy and then I wont want to ride. lol

Oh Boocoo, I used to live in Nashville, and I worked in Brentwood. I miss my friends, and I miss my job, but I wasn't crazy about anyone outside the horsey world there. It was like a club of people who grew up in TN, and I guess I wasn't cool enough to be part of it.

Krazy, that so exciting about your boy! I remember when I first started doing those things with Mr. Kashmir. He hated the bit, but the saddle, surcingle, stirrups, none of that even got a reaction. He too had issues with his feet but his thing was because he has been pinned to the wall and kicked in the belly for not holding still. And he was a baby, and his breeder had done no real work with him. He's just lovely now. You will have fun with your boy!

My mare itches her mane on her run-in shed. The posts are 4x4's, and she loves to itch on the corners. I would love to get some 6" PVC, split it lengthwise, and finish this problem once and for all, but I don't know anyone with the right saw to split the PVC. I have been doing the neck threadworm protocol on her, because this is the first year she has ever been itchy. My gelding had them when I bought him (he reacted horribly to being wormed with ivermectin during the summer, would itch his neck off practically). We just did the second treatment, so no idea yet if it will really help.

A pic from the other day of me on my little Arab

downsized_0409091329.jpg

Edited by shiloh04