Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

Hey, long time no talk!

Been pretty busy, but really no news, other than . . . I can ride Riley tomorrow!!!!!!! Just walk and trot, as he still has the plate in, but YAY.

Oh, and Sylves, I'm a C3 (traditional), and am rebelling against the current system of non-grandfatherification (my own word) and am in no mood to go for my dressage A and B, even though I have the horse, and a back-up horse capable of doing 3rd-4th.. Maybe I'll rejoin next year once they get the crap sorted out. I still have like 4 years before I age out.

Love the recap Sylves, it reads like it should be preceeded by "And tonight on the dressage board...." Or maybe "Previously on the chit chat thread soap opera.... "

Anyway, Hi tempi, welcome to our chit chat thread!

KTBM, Awww Rex seems like a sensible boy!

Boocoo, I'm glad Beau got on the trailer again!

Aw dobby, ((((hugs)))) I'm sorry you're having parent troubles.

Not much going on here, off to work in a bit, then it's Tuesday!! My day off, going to ride the pony and stuff. I'm not sure if I'll go for the Bates, I said if she has others interedted to let them have first dibbs. I'm just not sure I want to make that big a gamble hoping it's going to fit. Maybe something else will come along.

Tempi, that makes sense. As an example, KTS is only a C2 currently, but I KNOW that she could EASILY get her A. I got my B, but by no means am I a B anymore, lol! I'm more like a D3 at this moment! I really miss Pony Club, though. I had some wonderful times. Everything I know about horses, I learned in Pony Club (and from my vet who had to visit our barn MANY times for Dee's high maintance health...). Tempi, what do you do? When I routed to your geocities website from you HC profile, I saw that you're into raising sport ponies. Are you mostly into the dressage aspects of breeding, or do you specialize in other sports? What are your favorite breeding stallions? Forgive me as I have zero background in breeding.

It's alright.

I know what you mean, a lot of what PC taught me was good management and how things should be. The people in Kentucky- I think it became a much larger scale, with a more diverse population and a different point of view. Then I left managing on that level and went to being something completely different.

In regards to what I do with ponies, I do a bit of everything with that program (actually I split the two into different LLC's recently). Team EnGaged is the performance division where I take ponies through the levels and HAF is the breeding division.

I split the two so they can have specific goals and budgets.

For HAF: I like to think that I when breed for dressage ponies, I breed straight from the sires and dams who are known for throwing strictly dressage. But I utilize a lot of the jumper and eventing lines for the impulsion and gaits. I think when you begin to specialize in bloodlines, instead of reaching a balance between the two, you loose something in the middle. I also don't place as much importance with the sire- yes, I want to see what he's producing, but I from experience, the dam is about 50/50 genetic, but 75 percent personality and ride-ability.

I got into bloodline and pedigree when I really started involving myself in training, especially when I found a horse that I liked riding. I think it's apart of a rider's duty to know where the horse is coming from to help it go somewhere. With my riding horses, I maintain a close relation to the breeders.

I prefer to have all my mares going under saddle (my current broodmare went u/s until she was too wide to comfortably go) and having them as 'working girls' in some point in their life.

When I shop for a sire that fits that individual mare and complements her lines and is known for improving where the mare is weak. I'm not against using freshman or sophmore sires, as long as the family is known and proven. My first generation is due on the ground next month, the sire is Savant (owned by Ponderosa Performance Horses)-- photo attached.

Next year- I'm doing ET on the FEI mare-to-be and I can't wait, the sire is Winterlake Cardi (recent video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLM_1MXjp1o). I wasn't planning on breeding a pure welsh cob, but he is throwing equally typey foals who are excelling in the open arenas.

The goal is to produce individuals equipped with readability, charm and superior quality of movement.

My eventual goal is to get the larger sires (Florencio, Idocus, Oliver, Ideal, Quaterback who are some of my favorites) in smaller bodies without loosing movement or rideability. On the pony end, I like Matina's McCoy, Cardi, Hilken's Black Delight, FS Don't Worry, Voyager, Power and Paint, Tuscani Dundee and Stibby Me (Sweet Rock Solid).

I utilize a lot of welsh lines, and prefer welsh b/d bloodline crosses when riding, found that straight D is really chunky. But anything large pony (13.3 to 14.2) I'm willing to get on with.

Team EnGaged came almost by accident-- I found that there was a huge disconnect between breeders and riders. Especially pony breeders. My intent is to prove the line and build up the proven mare base, but getting as many ponies up through the levels to FEI.

post-2516-1239581218_thumb.jpg

Sylves, you had asked me before about show season ending, but it doesn't end here in TX. It goes all year round. There is a show in June, July and Aug. I could go to. I am going to show the first weekend of May and that will be it till the end of Aug. beginning of Sept. Then I will probably do a show then and hopefully Regionals in Oct./Nov. I am going out to Tucson to see my Mom when school gets out and then her and my sister are driving back with me and my son to spend a week. So Beau will get a vacation himself and then back to the grindstone once they leave. I don't ride much when they are here, we are usually too busy running around.

Shiloh, we thought Nashville was a very clicky place as well. Beautiful area though. Love, love, love the history. We used to love to go to The Hermitage and Bellmeade and of course all the music stuff is incredible. Our son went to a private christian school there and Ricky Skaggs son also went there. Ricky Skaggs was on the school board, so his picture is in our sons year book! We used to drive by his house on the way home and also one of the Oakridge Boys. It was pretty cool seeing a lot of those kinds of peoples homes. Johnny Cash's son went to the same church we went to and him and his wife would sing and play guitar and the fiddle sometimes. It was really cool. Yeah, I bet Lucy and Beau are related. What is her breeding? Beau is Tricky fun x an own daughter of Easy Jet!! He is ultra sensitive and I think race track life just wasn't for him. I had his 1/2 brother for a while and he was nothing like Beau! But I didn't bond with him like I do Beau either.

Krazy, hope you are feeling better soon. Sounds like your new horse has a really good mind. That will help alot with his training.

KTS, I bet you can't wait to get back on Riley.

Sylves, glad Shannon is learning to accept her med. Sometimes our little ones just don't understand why would we do this awful thing to them. My dh tells me all the time I am on the computer to much. I just laugh at him, cause he is watching all his fav. TV shows when I am on the computer and he likes NASCAR and motocross and Dirty Jobs and Top Gear and all those kinds of shows I am just not into, so I tell him to bad! And our son is on his Play Station, or reading. But.......... in spite of all this, we spend a lot of quality time together as a family. so this is each one of us's down time and as a Mom of a young child yourself, you need some time for you!

For example, this a.m. we all went to church then out to eat for the DH b.day and then shopping to spend his b.day $$. We had a lot of fun and came home and our son and I cleaned up after all the animals and got them all fed, while dh dragged my arena for me. Now we are all inside and the dh is watching TV, son is on Playstation and I am on the computer. None of us really minds, but we do like to tease each other. :winking:

I am off again tomorrow, yeah, so will get Beau out and ride him again!

Forgot to add a photo of the ET mare.

This was taken during last summer while clinic-ing with Poulin.

Yes, I know I'm squinting and looking quite determined to get the extended canter out on the first step (emphasis on go).

post-2516-1239585999_thumb.jpg

I only lived in Nashville for about a year and a half, and all my friends (of which there were not many, I was on the road ALL the time) thought it was very cliquey as well. Not one of them really liked living there, though I think they all still do. Jobs and such. I LOVED East TN though!

As for Lucy's breeding, not sure. She was sold to me without papers, and has no tattoo. She has several Bend Or spots, so I am guessing she probably has him WAY back. She was 12 when I bought her, so she was probably separated from her papers somewhere along the line.

Hey Tempi, the link didn't work. I even copied/pasted the sire's name in the YouTube search, and nothing came up. Savant is a lovely horse! Hope that first generation is a great outcome!

Boocoo, Personal time... Ah, that sounds better! As long as I don't do too much personal time, we're all fine. Chad is really cool about me being on HC; he calls it my "sorority." It's actually a great way to network and continue learning. I wish there could had been something like this back when I was riding in high school. I think Internet was such a new thing back then; I had only been on the Internet a few times when I was in HS. Now, people wonder what they would do WITHOUT Internet, lol! Wow, things have changed!

LS, it sounds like you're not sold on the Bates. What are some other makes that you would like to consider? Crosby? Kieffer? County? Collegiant? Barnsby? I am not familiar with some of the other makes that are mentioned on the dressage board.

I got to spend some time with Jaggar this afternoon! I lunged him w/ and w/out side reins. He did several HUGE bucks, especially going to the left at the canter. I think it has something to do with his last adjustment; the chiro was making an adjustment in his hips, but she speculates that Jag's hips developed crooked, maybe because of an injury from racing. At any rate, Jag did not seem too pleased about his hind end... It's almost like we're trying to force the joints into an ideal setting, but his body is rejecting the setting... I got on him for about 10 minutes, just walking and a little trot. He felt good under me. I'm hoping his hips improve, but if they don't, that's just the way it's going to be...

Shannon is doing better and better. Today was a good day for her! She's down for the night. She has a follow up with her Dr. tomorrow; I'm hoping we see an improvement in her lungs.

Good night everyone!

Hope everyone had a great Easter!

Shantel- Sounds like your young boy is doing well! That is terrific! He looks like he has such a kind eye. Best of luck with him!

Sylves- It depends on what I'm writing on, but for the most part I can spit them out. Dunno know, but writing "business" like papers are fairly easy for me. OO Sounds like you had a great Easter! Glad to hear the grandma could come out :) Nice to have family around. Excellent you got to see the Jag boy and were able to get him out. Hope she gets a clean bill of health at the Doctors!

Boocoo- what's the temps like there in the middle of summer? Do you ever have a "hot" month? Sounds like you had a nice Easter too!

Shiloh- Your mare is lovely! Are you planning on showing her this summer?

Dobby- *hugs* I'm here for ya girl. It will get better! Just have to take the good with the bad. Sincerely hope that things will get better for you. College is coming up soon too. Are you staying in state or going out?

Scotch was very lovey with me today...I haven't seen him in 3 days. But he was all over me. And had a pretty good ride on him too! I think he missed me? Easter with the family is always an adventure. My oldest sibling is a bit of PIA at times...

Still haven't started my last paper...but that is on the agenda for tomorrow after I ride. So hopefully I can write this one in an efficient manner.

No real plans for showing the mare this summer. I don't have a trailer, and it is HOT here from March thru October/November. I am on some meds that majorly mess with my ability to keep my body cool, so showing is out until I get that all straightened out. Plus I am getting married in August. There just won't be time or money. The Arab does have a show planned for Thanksgiving though. There is a big Arabian show in Tampa, so my boarder and I are planning to attend. I am hoping he will be doing well enough at training level by then that I would not make a mockery of the sport. He is bred to be a park horse, and his preferred way of trotting involves his head parallel to the ground. He is very flexible in the neck and can go properly, it's just going to take some work to get him working correctly on a consistent basis. His canter is just dreamy though!

Maybe over the winter I can show my mare. My fiance and I really want to get a trailer, but we have other financial obligations that are more important. Being an adult sucks sometimes!

Krazy, we need more pics of Rex.

Hey Tempi, the link didn't work. I even copied/pasted the sire's name in the YouTube search, and nothing came up. Savant is a lovely horse! Hope that first generation is a great outcome!

Try this:

(First PSG test last year)

For some reason... the owner didn't put him under his name on YT, but if you search dressage welsh cob, it'll pop up.

I got to meet Savant when I was at YHC a few years ago, actually the photo of him is from the developing horse championships- I think he placed 5th overall, which isn't bad for an seven/eight-year-old. Thought he was a gelding until I saw the advertisement for him as a stallion.

I'll be sure to post photos when the foal comes, I'm getting quite nervous about the entire thing. I'm halfway expecting a green-eyed, huge monster that makes Chucky seem like an angel. On the bright side, I hope to qualify the offspring at YHC in three to four years.

Gosh you all have been chatty. OK catch up time.

Beck-Yes the show is this coming weekend. I'll try to get pics. Last time Hubby was late and wasn't able to get pics. What soccer league does your hubby watch? Hubby likes English league. He can't seem to get into the US soccer though.

shiloh- It looks like your boy is taking everything in strie. He looks so calm. I love the last pic of your mare.I'll sens a PM than.

KTM- Rex sounds like a doll. Hopefully he continues to take to training so well.

Sylves-Yay for Jag time. It sounds like you have a nice MIL.

Boocoo- Glad to hear Beau loaded ok. That can be a tense time after a trailer mishap.

dobby-Hang in there. Things will get better. I am sure your mom is stressed about your leaving.

3day-Let me know when you plan on going to Green Lane. There is a slight chance I could make it. I would have to bring someone along. Would you mind? Cheese won't gett shoes on until after Memorial Day. So I like to keep road riding to a min. until then.

Tracy-Sounds like the new barn is working out. Yay. Good luck on the job search.

Holiday is over Yay. I like the holidays but trying to squeeze seeing all the family in can be a pain. Especiallly since Hubby and I worked Sat. night/Sin morning. By 5 you are ready to pass out.So Cheese had the day off. I am planning to go do some jumping today. The show is a combined training show and I haven't jumped in about a month. Luckily since we are still working on the basics we are at the lowest level and the fences are pnly 2ft. So it should be a piece of cake.

Busy weekend for all:-) I had a nice holiday despite drama with my friends that board their horses across the road where they are having a strangles outbreak. I am a little freaked out as well. My cell phone has rang non-stop for two days. I really need to get some studying done tonight!

CSA-My hubby watches all soccer. We have the Columbus Crew here and we attend a lot of games. That is actually where we met:-) I did get to see the "real" Beckham in person last fall:-) Are you all ready for Saturday?

3-Day-I am a major procrastinator this weekend, ahg! Beckham would love three days off in a row...I have to base my riding schedule on the weather this time of year! Beckham is an awfully good boy...we have a nice relationship sine I broke him:-)

Boocoo-Yay for a nice day with the fam! We had some fun too and took my dogs over to my parents to play in the back yard on the agility stuff. My dogs suck at it and it was total craziness with 6 dogs! Hahaha!

KTS-Glad Riley is healing so fast!

Shiloh-So I had a great ride yesterday, but hubby left before I rode! All he got were tons of pics of the dogs jumping:-) And now it is raining...during show season we get a lot of photos. Congrats on your mare being so good!!

Sylves-I am so glad Shannon is on the mend...what a long ordeal for her! How is the weather there? I see we have 70 degree weather heading our way this week, yay!!!

So, my phone is still ringing off the hook. Just got some info from my friend that works at OSU Vet hospital, so I feel a little better. She was actually going to move her horse this week and now has to wait until the quarantine is over. I got this kittens dropped off this morning to get neutered and need to get some other stuff done. When the weather gets rainy like this my sinuses go crazy and I don't feel like doing anything.

Oh, I just saw this on the Today Show:

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...=1&ct=title

I have had to deal with strangles outbreaks a couple times. I now vaccinate all of mine for it, because it is just a PITA.

The main thing with strangles is to sanitize everything. Bleach works well. If your friends have been visiting before they were aware of the strangles, at this point just cross your fingers and pray to the heavens that you will be spared. If you meet your friends off the farm, shower and change your clothes before you go touch your horses.

I had always been told that strangles can live on a fence post or bucket, etc, for up to 4 months. I did read something on The Horse recently that they are now thinking that is not anywhere near true. However, horses can shed the strangles bacteria without showing symptoms of the disease.

If your horses do get strangles, supportive care is really all you can do. Bute or banamine if needed, keep them quarantined, make sure they are eating and drinking and monitor the temp. If an abscess interferes with eating and drinking, the vet can come out and drain it.

Its rarely fatal anymore unless you toss your horse into a pasture to fend for itself and refuse to admit that maybe he does have strangles (I have seen this at a barn I used to teach lessons for). Its just a PITA to deal with because you have to sanitize everything, and the sick horse cannot have any contact with horses who are not sick.

So yeah, all of mine are vaccinated. My mare had it about 6 years ago, before I bought her. My gelding was exposed last winter right after I bought him. He had a mild snotty nose, but nothing else. He also had no direct contact with any sick horses. The BO would feed the other horses and then feed him before he realized that his stallion had strangles.

I do the IM vaccine, but there is an IN as well. The IM has a higher risk of side effects, but it doesn't rely on the skill of the person administering it to be effective. None of mine have had any issues with the IM.

Oh, and Tempi, you're not too likely to get a monster that puts Chucky to shame. If you breed two horses you really like, chances are very good you will get a foal you like.

And if they do come out hating you, be patient. It doesn't always last. My poor little Perfect Filly apparently had some very un-fond memories of her enema. At a year old, she still gets nervous about me touching her hiney (but is fine with anything else). For the first two months of her life, if a human tried to get near her, she would try to kill herself. Literally throw herself over backwards onto the ground, into fences or walls, would run THRU the water tank. I wasn't sure she was going to live to see weaning time. It took 3 of us to catch her IN HER STALL (12x12 too) to get a halter on her. She was about a week old. I just wanted something on her in case I had a real need to catch her.

Then, at about 2 months, she suddenly got over herself. Now I can worm her or give her a shot in the pasture, no halter, and she follows me around for more. Weird little thing. If I am working on the fences, I have to expect for her to come up behind me to sniff my butt at some point. She has an odd thing with butt sniffing actually. When I trim her hooves, she also likes to sniff my butt and then will rest her nose on it. No biting, just likes butts. She is a bit odd.

But she is an absolute joy. IMO she is almost the perfect combo of her mom and dad. I do wish she had a bit more angle to her hocks, but it doesn't seem to affect her movement. She has her dad's gaits.

Hehe, Shiloh, maybe your filly thinks she's a dog, lol! I've never seen a horse that was that fascinated with butts, lol! It sounds so cute, though!

Beck, is that how your gelding got his name? The famous soccer play? That must be a little worrisome with the strangles so near by... It's a good thing that strangles isn't deadly anymore, but it certainly would require you to be on your toes until everything is in the clear. It makes me happy to have Jaggar in such an isolated area.

Tempi, all sarcasm aside, I would think breeding would be so tricky. As long as people do it responsibly, it's all good. What I can't stand are people who seem to think that just because a horse has a uterus, she should have a foal. Just yesterday I was searching Equine.com for free horses, and I ran across a mare who was for free; she was advertised as a mare who would make a great brood mare. WHAT??? If she's a decent enough broodmare, she certainly shouldn't be "bad" enough to be GIVEN AWAY! Ah, it just makes you wonder!

Shannon's dr. appointment was good! Her breathing is improved and her fever is completely gone. She still has yuckies in her lungs (pneumonia) and some irritation in her right ear. Dr. has ordered for some more x-rays on the 22nd. Shannon will have to stay home at least until we get the results from our next appointment.

I took a good look at Jag's hips this morning when I went to do chores; he's definitely got something going in his joints... Chad and I were talking about it on our way to town for the appointment; we figure the best thing to do is to continue working on Jag's strength in the hind end. I can't see how injections will help, as it appears to be a problem in his conformation. There's no reason to mask the problem. Oh well, even if he has to be a basic pleasure/trail horse, he's still my bud! I love him to bits.

I found a free TB in Boone, IA (Tracy, that's just a twenty minute drive from you). He's an ex-eventer, 16.3 hd 23 year old. He can't be used for any serious work or competition. Basically, the owner is looking for an easy going retirement home for her beloved horse. I found him on equine.com. I am waiting for a reply from the owner; I'd love a good ol' boy to relax on, but Chad isn't interested. He reminded me (again) that no horse is "free." I know, I know. I just have this thing for TBs!

Shiloh, we were only in TN for about 14 months ourselves. That is where I switched Beau from barrel racing over to dressage. So some good did come out of it. I love the sport of barrel racing, but dressage is a much better discipline for me and definitely for Beau.

3day, our temps in the summer can get up over 100, but they are mostly low to mid 90's. However, the humidity is really high, so it's stinking hot and muggy. Most of the shows in the summer waive jackets and one has it a rule that you absolutely can not wear your jacket. I much prefer heat to cold though.

Sylves, we didn't even have computers when I was in high school, much less the internet! We still had 8 tracks and cassettes were only just getting popular. Ha, tells you I am older than the dinosaurs!!! :happy0203: We didn't have cell phones or I-pods either. I remember when CD's were the new thing and we had zillions of cassettes, what to do with them all???

C.S.A.have fun with the jumping. I like to work Beau over ground poles now and then, need to do it more often. I am still trying to get him over to the park to trail ride. I want to go this coming weekend, but our forecast is calling for rain.

I am going to audit a sporthorse versatility clinic next Sunday. You do one dressage test of choice and then an obstacle course. One class is just walk, trot and one is walk, trot, canter. No jumping. The hunter versatility has jumping. I may try the sporthorse one with Beau later this summer. I think that, along with trail riding will help boost his confidence.

So, we are keeping fingers crossed that mine are okay...my horses have never been to the neighbor's barn and no one has been over visiting for a while. No other horses have been in my barn. I have told no one to come over...I don't even want their cars in my driveway. Vet at OSU told me to just monitor temps and if they spike a temp to start them on penicillin. They have a good record with this stopping it from going to the lymph nodes. Both of my friends' horses are older and the vet feels there is a good chance they will be okay. I haven't vaccinated for it in years...I figured by now, with the fact they have all been all over the country, they have been exposed by now. Vet feels I am safe as long as I stay isolated. Problem is, I will never feel safe having friends over to ride:-(

Have to go pick kitties up from vet...

Keeping fingers crossed for your ponies, Beckham. I bet you will be fine. I only vaccinated for it two years in a row and quit. The Vets. say it isn't fool proof anyway, and like your horses, Beau has been all over the country.

I'm so glad to hear Shannon is feeling better! Poor little girl.

It is so hot here I think I am going to spontaneously combust. You know, like you see on the movies where the heat ray hits something and it just turns to a charred mass? Like that. My a/c is set on 74, and I am still roasting. I bet this is what menopause feels like (only I am 28). I so wish I had a cover over my concrete was rack so I could go trim my filly's hooves.

Oh, Tempi, that is one thing I would recommend about raising a young horse. I have raised 2 so far, and IMO the most important thing for their future is FREQUENT trimming. If you can learn to touch up between farrier visits, that is the best thing for them. If you let them go a bit too long, especially if you have a leggy baby with a short-ish neck, you can end up with problems that you will be paying for for a long time coming. My gelding came to me with some very uneven hooves, and it took weekly touch-ups over a year's time to get him squared away. The filly just started growing hoof like mad and is getting a touch upright in one front, so she is on a every-week touch-up schedule now too. If you let them get too crooked in the fronts, it really affects their muscles in the shoulders. My poor boy couldn't stand even close to square when I bought him because of those hooves.

Boocoo, who did you take lessons from in TN? I wonder if I know him/her. The dressage scene is pretty small there.

CSA- I will! It probably won't be for another month or so, but hopefully we'll be going once a week. Sure it doesn't matter to me if you bring a friend. The more the merrier! Good luck at your show this weekend!

Beckham- I still am procrastinationg. Though I finally looked at the topics and eep...I should have done this a week ago. I don't even know how to start this paper. *sigh* OO Strangles. Keeping my fingers crossed that things will be fine at your barn. I'm sure you'll be ok though. It is a scarey situation, but I think you'll be fine. I don't even vaccinate for strangles anymore. There was a youngster I was breaking at my old trainer's farm that ended up getting strangles. He had it pretty bad, but overcame it with medication. None of our other horses contracted it (to our knowledge) and we had about 35+ on the property. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you. Saw the dreamhorse ad you sent to S. in MA. Cute guy I'm looking for S. too. haha.

Boocoo- yikes 100!! I don't think I could live in that heat. That's nice they waive jackets...I would be roasting!! Do you take the hottest month off for showing? July is normally our hot month. Try to do very little showing that month. hehe. The sporthorse clinic sounds fun! Let us know how it goes.

Sylves- YAY glad shannon is feeling better! When will you be getting back on your Jag boy?

Shiloh- send some heat my way. It is 49degrees here. And a bit windy. Pony has his medium on today.

Slyves, let me know if you come to see the horse in Boone. I'll introduce you to Fessor, and we can have some hot chocolate or coffee. :)

I just mailed off the formal paperwork for the job I have been interviewing for the past couple of weeks. I have one more interview this Friday. So far, things are looking very promising. I expect a job offer sometime next week. So one of my major stressors has significantly reduced, and I can focus on finishing up the semester and looking forward to graduation. I'd look to start working late in May or the first week of June.

There's not too much to report from here. After a lovely Saturday and cloudy but pleasant Easter we have a cold, dreary, rainy day today. It's my long day at school, so Fessor gets the day off. The weather is supposed to warm up and dry out for most of the week, so that will be nice. Now I just need to see if I can arrange a schooling show for the end of this month or not... Otherwise, the next time I'll have available is the end of May (if I'm not moving!).

Tracy

Tempi, I really, REALLY like Kobis! I was checking out the the website; looks like you shouldn't worry too much. The offspring look like fine animals! The owner knows her stuff. Is she choosy about what mares she breeds her studs to?

Boocoo, I'm just floored by all of the kids running around during recess with their Ipods! I remember when I was in grade school, I had my walkman. The disc man was something to be envied! I don't remember 8 tracks, though! I'm a child of the 80's. I'm assuming you're a child of the 70's?

CSA, you'll be showing on my B-day! I hope the weather is nice for ya! Have fun with the combined test. I was planning to do an education class this Saturday (to satisfy my recert credits for teaching)... I'm so glad that I changed my mind and decided not to do classes on that day! I'd so much rather be riding!

Beck, hope those kitties are okay after their altering. Poor babies. I wish more people took the time to alter their kittens; there are just too many strays out there causing problems and getting sick...

Shannon is taking her afternoon nap, Chad is off to work, and I'm having my "Spring Break" (a four day weekend). Kinda bored, but oh well; it's WAY better than having a paper/assignement hanging over my head like Eventer has (I feel for ya, Eventer!). Hopefully Chad won't have to begin working in the fields when he gets home because I would LOVE to get some Jag time in today!

Edited by Sylves

Oh man, Tracy, If only I could get Chad to budge, lol! I'd just love to go look at the horse, but Chad is pretty adamant about getting some other things done around the house (well, actually, REPLACING the house, lol) before taking on any more horses. He says (and I agree half willingly) that a 23 year old will start having problems (especially a TB) and he will not live much longer... So, I don't think I'll get to talk Chad into this one... BUT... I can dream about it, right?! Yes, some hot chocolate sounds rather good right now! I think I'll go make myself a cup of cocoa!

3day, the heat does not bother me. I grew up in the south west deserts, so 100 degrees is a cold spell!!! [ROTFL] Beau also was born and raised in So. AZ. I usually show in June and July, but I am going to Tucson in June and going to work hard on getting ready to show 2nd level the rest of the summer for a show the end of Aug./Sept. at a show then and then do SWDC in Oct. and maybe regionals. It's actually the end of Oct. beginning of Nov. Now, January, when it's in the 40's and 50's, no way am I showing in that. That is way to cold for this desert rat!!!

Shiloh, I had my horses at a barn in Hendersonville, called Ace High. She was not a dressage specialist, rather she teaches all disciplines. She has arabs and did a lot of side seat. She would have only been able to get Beau and I thru first level, but what she does know, she knows very well. She started Beau in dressage and was truly awesome with him. If anyone could stand him besides me, it was her. She loved riding him, even with all his little quirks about saddling, etc... I wish she could see him now.

Sylves, I am older than that even!! But we'll just leave it at that!!! [ROTFL] I was a bit older than most, when I got married and have been married going on 17 years. Our son will be 15 this year. I agree with Chad on the horse situation. A horse that is 23 years old could have a ton of unforseen problems, and not only do you not need that financially, you don't need it emotionally either and not to mention the time two horses take vs. one. You work, you have a very young child and you have Jag. Just concentrate on getting Jag going. Your doing a great job with him. I know, I have had up to 6 horses at one time and 3 boarders. [shocked] Then I got down to just two and then just one from Jan. of 05 till last summer when I got my little TB for Beau to have a buddy. Then after I sold him I was so relieved that I didn't have to get a buddy for Beau after all. Now it would be different if I didn't work full time and have other obligations. But for now, I will have just one horse. I will get a new dressage prospect eventually, but really hope to get my bronze on Beau. Once I accomplish that, I will let Beau stay home and be a trail horse and get the new horse going and ready to show. I have countless people asking me if I want a retired horse for a buddy for Beau. NO, NO, NO, I tell them. He's fine on his own. He's actually better. Stays calmer and not so worried about things. And if I get a retired horse, I am pretty much stuck with it. That would put a real damper on getting a new horse, as I only have two stalls and don't want more than 2 horses on this property.

Rode him today and he was a goof ball when I saddle him again!! What is up with this? I tell ya! I did take his stitches out and his eye looks great. Then I got on him and my new leathers were to long. He did stand quietly when I mounted him, 3 times, due to adjusting the new leathers. In my lesson on Sat. she had me doing sitting trot without stirrups. It made my ribs in the front, really, really, really sore! They feel badly bruised. So I put my back brace on today and that helped. However, when I was riding like that on Sat. for way to long, I unfortunately would pull on Beau's mouth to much, so he was really pissy today if I so much as lightly pulled to much. Talk about the horse teaching the rider to have following hands. He is super, duper sensitive. I did work on first level test 2, as I am doing that one in my next show and first level test 4. We did have a pretty decent ride. I need to ride tomorrow and Wed. as well as we are supposed to get rain on Thurs. and Fri.

Hey Shiloh, thanks for the tips. Namely its just a re-occuring nightmare that's been pestering me for the last... 10 months. I've been around foals, yearlings (the current crop is just hitting their yearling stage) before, but they were never mine, therefore it was never anything personal. I like to relate it to babysitting. You can babysit until the cows come home, but until it's one of your own, it doesn't quite feel the same.

My farrier knows what's up, we've developed a plan ahead of time.

Sylves-- Breeding is hard work and I'm not talking about actually having the foal!

I will be the first to admit I agonized over choices for both mares, and choosing gave me heartburn for a solid week. I talked to both stallion owners as extensively as possible, and I was lucky enough to see one go in person (the other-- Cardi, I talked to a few higher-ups about his progeny, and namely they were amateur women which speaks volumes to me). I looked at what the stallion was producing out of my mare's lines and how they were maturing to get a better picture.

I compared, contrasted, talked to, ran about and just plain second guessed myself.

All in all it boils down to this: breeding is nothing more than a hypothisis in action.

All you can hope for at the end of the day (when day 1 occurs) is not only you have a happy, bouncing baby something, but the research you've poured and agonized over comes through.

(there ends my soapbox on breeding;))

That aside, I understand where you're coming from about the uterus is not a clown car. I fully believe that with you, and I'll back that notion 100 percent. I love both my mares, and I want carbon copies of them on the ground. Both of them have excellent pedigrees.

However-- I will politely disagree with you about the free status. There are a lot of good to great mares out there who are free or on free leases because their owners cannot afford them or are getting out of the game.

I was offered two wonderful welsh b's this season, coming generationally from on-the-line winners, Pony Finals Champions and sisters to a few high-ranking USEF sires. I turned them away because I cannot produce more than I can ride or afford. Actually, the mare that is due now was a freebie. Owner was filing for bankruptcy.

Breeding is addictive, both on and off paper. Most people get in over their heads because they produce beyond what they can handle as three and four year olds.

About the stallion owner: she's known to be paticular especially about "off breed" mares. She got to meet the mare, and then I sent photos, copies of registeries and what I was planning to do with the results. It seemed like a good match to her.

Good news is the baby looks like it's alive and kicking-- we rubbed Mamma's belly for a bit and the baby started doing its acrobatics, it was amusing to look at and see. But from the motion- it looks huge on midget mamma.

I wish the rain would stop so I can ride, we're showing this weekend.

Boocoo, I have heard of Ace High. I cannot remember much abotu them specifically, but I boarded with an Arab trainer so I knew of them from the Arab world.

Tempi, I never agonized over stallion choices because I knew I wanted an Andy or Luso, and once I found Annie's dad I knew he was it. But once she was confirmed in foal, I stressed for the next 11 months. She started showing signs of heat around 4 months, and I was terrified she had aborted. Then I felt Annie move around 5 months, then nothing until about 8 months when she started getting huge. Then the panic set in about foaling her out. What if she had a difficult birth and I lost mare and foal? What if the foal required a ton of vet bills? What if I happened to miss the birth and the foal suffocated in the amniotic sack? What if she retained the placenta and then foundered?

In the end, Lucy had that filly out in less than 3 minutes, at 11pm. It took her an hour and a half to pass the placenta, and I had to bottle feed Annie because she was just so leggy, and she did need an enema, but everything else went perfectly. Thank God.

Now I just have to continue to keep her from killing herself until she is old enough to ride.

It is TOTALLY different when they are yours!

Whew who! I'm bidding on a set of white woof boots! It ends in two hours. So far, the bid is up to $15! The boots are just the right size for Jag. It'll be easier to slap those babies on than have to mess with the polos! Crossing my fingers I don't get outbid because I can't go higher...

:-)

I thought I had lost the baby around month eight, she was big, but just looked like she had a grass belly- and the stallions were talking to her. But checks proved otherwise. I just have some randy stallions.

Beck-I was kind of excited when Beckham was traded to a UD team. But it looks like he is staying with Ac Milan. Which I can't complain to much since they are my favorite team.I was just hoping he would spark some interest in the US. I would love if Philly got a soccer team.

Sylves-Good luck winning the boots. Glad to hear Dhannon is getting better. With this economy horses are easy to come by. So it is easier to be picky. I have been offered a little of everything. Howver Cheese is enough for me. I swear she is related to the energizer bunny.Happy early Bday. I am actually showing on Sun. Thankfully because I need the extra day to get ready.

Boocoo-Trying to plan rides around the weather sucks. The weathermen never seem to get it right. Glad to hear Beau is back to his big ol' goofy self.

3Day- Woohoo. I haven't been to Green Lane in a couple of years. I'll try to behave myself.I went past the one part where they have the Scottish/Irish fest. Holy cow!!!! They tore out the brdige. I wonder what they are doing?

Trcy-Sometimes nothing going on is good.

Tempi- Unfortunately the stress won't stoop until the foal is on the ground and nursing. It sounds like you have a good program going. Just make sure you have a plan if the babies don't sell. Unfortunatley with today's economy nothing is for sure. That is where some bredders get into trouble.

So I got the trailer checked out. It is all good for the weekend. Now I just have to clean all the tack and the horse. I am not sure Cheese will like the idea of a bath with the cooler tamps. We had a good ride. Had issues with the left lead after a fence. So we kept things simple. I am so out of shape. I need to do more two point work. Cheese seems to like the new jumping bit. mShe was so light in the bridle. Even when she went to flatten out and take off she was easy to bring back and rebalance.