Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

Tempi- Unfortunately the stress won't stoop until the foal is on the ground and nursing. It sounds like you have a good program going. Just make sure you have a plan if the babies don't sell. Unfortunatley with today's economy nothing is for sure. That is where some bredders get into trouble.

I breed for the four year plan. Plus I'm really looking forward to pursuing the FEI young horse track.

Boocoo- I don't think I can live in your weather. For a visit yes but LIVE heck no. Don't know how you do it lady. I actually would rather ride in the cold weather over wicked hot temperatures any day. hehe. Probably why you live where you live and I live in PA. I do like the 70s and low low 80's. If I can find a climate like that all the time I'd be as happy as a clam. :happy0203: Glad to hear his eye is looking good! That is a relief! Silly Beau! Ah the sitting trot...I love it. I would much rather sit than rise any day! Even on Jade whom had a huge and airy trot. That mare taught me how to sit. And it sounds like Beau is doing the same for you. When is your show again? I probably already asked but have forgotten.

Sylves- you crack me up w/ ebay! But if you see any Trainer Choice beigh full seat breeches let me know! I was searching for them the other day...or any nice full seat beige breeches. I need a new pair. So did you get the boots?

Shiloh- Sounds like you have wrily baby on your hands. I do believe my next horse will be a yearling. Though I'm more into the Sportpony world and would love to have a yearling GRP. hmmm. I would have never guessed that your mare is 17!

Goodness I can't wait for my lesson w/ Mr. Trainer. Definately could use his eyes about now. Scotch was pretty intent on not bending fully around my left leg and bending to the left in general. He was a bit high today, but the pony has mediums in him! woot! His HI are improving by leaps and bounds too. Thank goodness!

Still procrastinating on this last paper as well.....I guess I'll try to put some work on it before I head to bed. and 10 more days until Rolex! count down begins!

Oh no, the worry doesn't stop when they hit the ground. When you have put that much time, money, and emotion into the whole thing... You worry until they hit around a year. The worry does start to fade after a while, but I worried the first week, just in case my filly got sick even though her immunity was perfect, I worried the first time I turned her out that I wouldn't be able to get her back in her stall (brave little bugger, didn't want to follow mom). I worried she would somehow kill herself on the safe fencing, or that she would slip and fall while running around like a nut. Then I started to worry that Lucy wouldn't let her nurse enough, and once I turned her out with my gelding, that he would accidentally hurt her when she was being a brat. Then weaning time came, and I had to worry about her climbing out of her stall or pasture to get to mommy. Then I brought all of them home to my new property, and I worried how she would make the trip in the trailer, how she would handle the new fencing, if she would drink the nasty egg water. Then we had the first blanket, first shots, first time the neighbors shot their guns...

I've finally accepted that she's very sane and pretty darned tough. Even though she looks dainty and feminine, she is not likely to kill herself just grazing on her pasture. Her legs will not just happen to snap in two if she trips, lightning is not out looking to strike her down, and the fence is not going to just vanish in the middle of the night, allowing her to go run onto the road and get killed by a drunk driver.

It gets easier the older they get :)

Well we had a NASTY storm come in. Tornados on the ground, hail, lightning, etc. Thankfully the tornados stayed to the north of us. But of course the place is FLOODED. Again.

Ponies are in for tonight. Luckily my step dad went to the feed store and picked up my items since they werent open yesterday so they all have nice, fluffy stalls to sleep in.

The tooth socket is feeling much better today. I took a Motrin 600 this morning and that was it. About 5pm it started aching a bit but nothing bad. I swear my body knows what time it is and it always starts aching then. But I took a Loratab at dinner so we are all good.

The Florida Horse Park is having this big Equestrian Festival thing this weekend. Basically a big show with eventing, etc. Of course the dressage is Thurs and Friday - days I have to work! Boo! Then XC is Sat and the SJ is Sunday. I doubt I will go just because Id really rather watch dressage than jumping. But on that note, they are having a few dressage schooling shows coming up here in the next month or so. I really want to go to at least 2 shows before our local fall season starts up. Luckily my trainers place is across the street from the Fla Horse Park so I wouldnt have to pay for a stall and we could hack over. So I am entertaining that idea.

Oh and Ive found these absolutely AHHH MAAAZZZING browbands online and Im trying to decide... Is Rex a rich blue or emerald green? Hmmmmmmm.....

Scroll down to see the green and the blue one...

http://www.txwarmbloods.com/crystals/french%20quarter.htm

http://www.txwarmbloods.com/crystals/roman...the%20stone.htm

http://www.txwarmbloods.com/crystals/island%20breeze.htm

http://www.txwarmbloods.com/cubes%20n%20tu...tranquility.htm

And that is only a few. I honestly could own almost every single one on there... and there are matching stock pins and dog collars and bridles and.... *gasps for air* oh my! lol

Krazy - There is a tack store in Louisville (Hitching Post) that carries browbands where... THE BEADS CAN BE CHANGED OUT. They were pretty affordable too. You could get blue AND green! And change them out as the mood strikes. I so want some. Maybe when Arab boy is old enough to show.

They aren't shown online, but you could call them. 502-245-4672

Do you ever make it down to Tampa to show? Lakeland has a schooling series, but the Fairgrounds also has some rated shows. Stabling for the dressage shows was pretty reasonable, especially compared to how much it was for the Arab show! I really want to get a trailer so I can go to a couple shows :(

I am jealous yall keep getting rain. We have it forecasted, but it never comes. It always goes north of us.

Speaking of beads, this lady (she's new to the market) does fabulous work:

http://enteratajewelry.com

She did my double bridle, and I'll be the first to admit I thought I knew what looked good, but she blew me out of the water and really set off my mare's bridle. I was so happy with the product.

We had a nasty storm too. Gale winds and lightning.

3day, it all depends on what you are used to. I was born in Montana and can well remember horrendous blizzards when I was a little girl, but we moved a lot as my Dad was military and always lived in fairly warm climates. TN was probably the coldest and I could not stand day time highs being in the 20's!!! I lived in Tucson for 34 years and the hotter for me, the better. Beau likes it hotter as well, as he was born and raised in So. AZ. Then there's my brother - n - law. He lived in CO for years and now in WY and can't stand the heat. But I am not used to humidity either. I prefer the hot dry desert climates of the deserts, but doubt I will ever get my dh to move back there. He really likes it here.

Shiloh, you can google Ace High and pull up her web site. I bet you would know her. She does a lot of kids camps as well and is a really good instructor.

C.S.A. hope your weather warms up so you can bathe Cheese. Where are you going again this weekend? A show?

Back at work today and counting down the weeks till summer break!!!

Boocoo, I'm with ya on that whole "counting down the days till summer" thing! Woo who! Of course, my summer will be filled with recert classes (well, not FILLED, but the classes will take away from my summer just a little... think positive, think positive, it'll be fun, it will be LOADS of fun, yeah?).

Eventer, Oh, I can't think of many of other things that are worse than having a nagging paper assignment hanging over my head... It just makes me shiver thinking about it! But, it sounds like you can handle it... I, on the other hand, would totally freak out... I really disliked writing papers...

I'll keep my eyes out for you on those breeches. I don't seem so lucky with breeches; I bought four pairs off of ebay so far, and only two of the pairs have worked. The latest pair, Tuff Rider full seats, are AWFUL! I rode in them this AM for the second time, and everything was fine except for the knee area; it felt like I was wearing jeans (you know, when the jeans rub holes in your knees). Also, they're so tight around the knees. They just DON'T work! The knee patch tuff rider breeches work well, though. I am convinced that you have to spend an arm and a leg to get nice full seat breeches that work with ya... With respects to the weather, you sound like a Southern California girl (or maybe central Cali), but DEF not the desert (such as Palm Springs). The temps stay relatively steady, ranging from 60's to 90's. If only So. Cali wasn't so darn expensive, over populated and air polluted... That's what I remember of the state when I lived there... Other than that, it's Heaven, as long as the hill sides aren't giving in to mud slides...

Hope you get that paper done.

Shiloh, I feel ya on the whole "I need a trailer" deal! We would just LOVE to find an affordable truck and trailer, but my gosh, I'm too scared to make that kind of purchase on ebay, lol! No, but really, the prices are so expensive... Chad has his eyes set on a gooseneck and a 3/4 ton extended/crew cab pickup w/ 4 wheel drive... Buying new is completely out of the question; Holy smokes, the cost for the pickup alone would cost more than our house and acerage!

Krazy and Tempi, I very much dislike that kind of weather. Well, actually I used to enjoy the lightening and watching funnels form overhead, but that was when I had a decent basement and when I DIDN'T have horses. Now, when storms brew up like that, I get everything ready to make a dash outside to go in the cellar (flash light, baby, dog with leash, blankets, etc). Also, we lost three of our horses to lightening back in Sept. 2007... You know, we think these things will never happen to us... It was awful.

Okay, so I was outbid on those woof boots by $1.00... Chad was using the computer when the boots were in their final minutes of auction... So, I lost the auction... Oh well, I have the wraps; they will work just fine!

I found an Albion dressage saddle for $399 with only 27 min. left in the auction; I sent the link to Lightening, but unfortunately the auction had ended by the time she saw the link... The saddle was described as being in excellent shape, even though it was a two tone brown. Long billets, at least. Medium tree, 17 inch seat. It ended up selling for $399...

You know, I think Miss Shannon is back to normal, other than the coughs. She still HATES her oral meds, but the nebulizer is becoming a piece of cake. She is such a doll!

I got up early this morning to have some Jag time. Poor boy was shivering as I was grooming him. I put a cooler over him, and that didn't seem to help. I figured that he needed to get moving, so I got right on him without lunging. He was so tense (go figure, with the shivering and all). I was going to just walk him, but he was a tight ball under me. I made him stand, and I could LITERALLY feel is back slowly ease down. When I felt like he was more relaxed, we continued walking; he dropped his head down like normal. We worked in both directions, doing figure eights. He responded to my stretching up through ribcage for a halt. But, then it was time to trot. FORGET it! He wanted to run... So, I figured I better lunge. You guys, he was so stiff in the hind end. His hind legs were like unbendable poles. He cantered like a horse with severe downhill confo would canter. It looked so bad. I worked him in both directions. Then I stopped him, took off the lunging stuff, and noticed his shivering again (even though his body was warm)... I decided to call it a day. I brought him back to the barn, untacked, promptly put on his cooler, an and hand grazed him for 20 minutes... That's all she wrote. I'm going to call the chiro today because this is has got to be chiropractic issues. My vet will have no idea, although he'll be the next one that I call... I need to find an equine massage therapist in our area...

So, I'm praying that Jaggar's hips will be okay... I wonder if the chiro is "forcing" the hips to be in an ideal position, but because of the way he developed (crooked), it's uncomfortable for him...

Oh, and not only did our DVD die, so did our TV, or at least it seems. The volume keeps going out... Err!

Have a good day you guys. Hope you get some rain Shiloh! Hope things dry up for you KTM.

You know, I better get out to the barn again to check Jag's vitals... This could be something more than just a chiropractic problem... He was walking fine, so I wouldn't think tieing up. No nasal discharge. He's eating just fine. He pooped while I was finishing him up. Lifted his legs fine for picking out the feet (also worked on stretching the legs; his front legs were great, but he was hesitant to let me stretch his hind leg backward). I don't know...

Edited by Sylves

Sylves, I hear you on the truck and trailer wish. I'm already casually looking out for a second hand truck and trailer for Fessor and me... If we are going to be in small town Iowa, I am going to want a way to get to clinics, shows, lessons, trails, etc. I'm wondering if I could con the parents into helping... I hope Jag feels better soon and you get his issues figured out!

The first schooling show of the year is in two weeks, and I need to decide if I can afford to go. Especially since I would probably be the only one going to compete. I'll put up a flyer just in case anyone else is interested, but it is the same day as a hunter schooling show down the road. Given the choice, I suspect most people will choose to hack over to the show down the road rather than trailer 40+ miles away. I REALLY want to go, even though I'd need a lot of work between now and then to really be ready. We'll see what happens! Hmmm. Maybe the parents would send a little birthday money a week early so I could go...

I have an interview on Friday, and will hopefully have a job offer sometime next week. :)

Tracy

I already have the truck(s), I just need the trailer. I have found a couple listed online in my area for $1000 to $1500, but I just don;t have the cash in hand to do it right now. And I refuse to put it on my credit card. Darned thing is getting close to being paid off!

My fiance's mom said that his dad makes trailers, and told me to ask him about making one. But I would bet that the steel would cost more than just buying an older less-fashionable trailer. I really want one of the rear-facing ones though...

Well we lost power last night right after I got out of the shower so I had to go to bed with wet hair! Ugh! Luckily it was on this morning so I could do something with my fro!

They said the rain was on the way out this AM but at work, the wind gusts were in the 40mph range and it was SO nasty. It is finally clearing up a little bit right now.

Two of the male pigeons "flew the coop" literally today. Apparently the wind was so bad that it blew the coop door open but luckily my step dad got them back in by coaxing them with food.

shiloh, Tampa is a tad far for me to go. Its like 3hrs +. And you guys can have the rain. I havent been able to ride more than 2 days in the last 3 weeks because the place is flooded! It stinks.

BTW be careful with home built horse trailers in Florida. If you DO have one built, you have to keep the receipts for each and every thing that goes into making the trailer. I found this out when I was going to try to get a home built trailer tag for my trailer since the prev owner never properly titled it. Just an FYI. I know that a lady in my GMO has a 2H straight load BP thats like... I think a 94 or 95 model but its safe and workable but she shows a LOT and goes down to Wellington a lot so shes selling it. I dont know for how much but I could ask if youd like. Her 17h WB fit in there. I think it has a ramp too.

Sylves, I hope Jag is ok. Have you had a chance to check on him again?

20 mins left of lunch.... have a good rest of the day.

KTM, I had Chad check on Jaggar; he seems to be fine (eating, pooping, actively walking around, loose, relaxed, "talkative," etc). It's got to be the fact that he was chilled from last night and his recent chiro adjustment.

Sylves, chiropractic work should not cause a horse to shiver like that. I would have your Vet. out if it happens again. That is definitely not normal. I wouldn't ride him when he's like that either. I would put his cooler on him and hand walk him while I wait for the Vet., if your positive he's not tying up. Did you take his temperature and get his heart rate and all that good stuff? Glad he was back to normal later on. Yeah, I can't wait till summer. I could work, but opted not to this summer. I am going out of town and then have company and then dh and son and I are going to the coast, then a horse show, so no time to work. :happy0203:

Used trailers sell very quickly if they are in good shape. Last year when I bought my new one, I barely pulled in the yard with it when someone called about my old one. I hadn't even advertised it yet. They came out that afternoon and bought it!!! A friend of mine had told them about it and gave them my #. So I gave my friend $100 for saving me the hassle of dealing with yahoos that call and want to come out, then never show up, plus the cost of advertising, etc... As for trucks, I have always driven a truck. So that's never been an issue for me. My dh drives one also. Last fall when mine got stolen, I had a show that weekend and we used the dh's to haul the trailer. I had a rental and it was a truck too!! But it wasn't set up to pull my trailer.

Tracy, what happened with the John Deere job?

I decided to do a show in July after all. The one the end of Aug. is the first week students are back at school and that is just not a good time. Figured I'd go in July when I am already off anyway. Makes it so much easier to get ready for a show. Then I will do a schooling show in Sept. to test out 2nd level before Regionals the end of Oct. Maybe, we'll see how it all goes. Can't wait to get home and ride today.

Edited by Boocoo

Boocoo, I'm still interviewing for the job. I've had two interviews so far, and one more on Friday. I also received and returned some paperwork formally applying for the job and authorizing credit/background checks. I'm hoping for a formal job offer next week sometime.

Sylves, I'm glad Shannon and Jaggar are both feeling better!

Tracy

Thanks for the tip about the home-made trailer Krazy. I would not have thought to do that, but I do remember your story. So the licensing is one thing I will be very careful of.

No real point in checking with your friend though, because I wouldn't be able to do anything about it for several months at least. I wouldn't want her to try to hold it or anything. There are always trailers for sale down here or in Ocala, so when the time is right I'm sure I will find something.

Whew got the one paper done...that is due in 2hours. I finished it a few hours ago. And decided I needed a break. So I have 2 more to go. One that is due tomorrow and the other is due on Friday. It's gonna be a late night... Ergh. Good news only 2 more weeks to go! woohoo!!!!!!!!!!

Boocoo, yep, his temp, pulse and bpm were normal. After Shannon's nap, I took her to the barn (it's a gorgeous day; no wind, no dust, not too cool, not to hot, just fresh air and sun). We didn't actually go in the barn to avoid the dust. Instead, Shannon and I sat in the cement bunks alongside Jag's yard. He came up to us to say hello. He was so gentle. I shewed him away to watch him trot and canter, and he was moving normally. A little post-legged in the hind end, but other than that, he's completely normal.

It was quite cold last night. The water in the cat's pan was frozen (I didn't realize it was going to get THAT cold). Jag has shedded pretty much all of his coat, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was truly chilled... but the shivering AFTER the work! Not normal! That's when I decided to call it a day and put him in a cooler immediately. He relaxed within a couple minutes... ON second thought, I will call the vet...

Tracy, good luck with that interview!

Shiloh, Chad talks about getting a regular trailer and having it refurbished into a horse trailer...with living quarters and a tack room... Apparently it's a cost effective way to go...??? Living quarters... yeah right, in my dreams, lol!

Edited by Sylves

May I make a suggestion with regards to ebay and bidding:

If there is the option "best offer," and if there are more than 1 available, go to the "detailed comments" and search for the same item that you wish to make an offer on; this will give you a good idea of how low you can make a successful offer. I found out on my full seat breeches that I could had even gone lower than $32 because there were $30 offers accepted for the same breeches. Oh well, I could had saved $2, big whoop, but seriously! It's something I just figured out! Cool stuff! Ebay is the BOMB!

Ohhh let us know how you like those breeches! I am in the market for a new pair or two that are not ribbed. Ribbed is HOT in the summer down here.

I am so thrilled! We have gotten about an inch and a half of rain today, and its going to rain a bit for the rest of the evening. My grass might grow!!

So my fiance's dad builds trailers and does a lot of welding. He and I are currently discussing taking a 2h straight load, and moving the axels so the ponies can ride backwards. Its much less stressful on them to ride backwards, which I think would be huge for my mare. Plus you back them into the trailer instead of walking them in and then being stuck, or standing behind them and shoeing them in. And they can walk straight out. The axels just have to be moved to keep the tongue weight down because the butt end of the horse weighs more than the head end.

So he's going to see if he can find me a deal on a trailer that is structurally sound, but needs some minor work. If we are going to move axels, there would have to be some repainting anyway. I love projects!

You guys are sooo chatty:-) Hehehehe. I have been really busy the past few days:-)

Sylves-Glad Shannon is better. I was watching a show last night where the little boy had RSV and I had only heard of it from you. Apparently it is very common. I don't think that shivering is normal after a workout like that. I have only had horses shiver out in the cold rain...I would give the vet a call.

Boocoo-I like heat, but I don't know if I could handle it that hot all of the time...hahahaha. I have to mail in my show entries for May tomorrow...I get to do 1-1!!! Woohoo! Do your shows run earlier in the mornings or later in the evenings when it is so hot?

3Day- I am the most horrible procrastinator this week....really bad. I have some Spring fever even though the weather is crap right now! I think it is because I hate this class so much!! Oh, wasn't that horse cute? His face looks just like Winston!

KTS-Glad Rex is being a good boy. Of course he needs a blingy brow band!!

Shiloh-Sorry it has been so hot there...if it makes your feel any better it has done nothing but rain here!

Tracy-Good luck on the job interview!!

So, busy week with school and the drama at my friends' barn. My phone never stops ringing. I went with a friend to look at a barn yesterday and it won't work. There are still sick horses and lots of drama as to getting their butts in gear and getting a program together to care for the mess. And of course, everyone is upset. I just stay locked in my own little barn:-)

The "kids" are all good...didn't get much done with them in the rain. I found a "husband" for Shelby, but my DH will never let me get another horse...but this would be a cool cross. I know the foal would be a little "mixed" in breeding, but I am not interested in having another WB and want more "brain". (I hope that is not offensive...) Anyway, check this handsome boy out!

http://www.mysticoakranch.com/ourstallions...nceincolor.html

Sylves, glad Jag appeared to be normal. Let us know what the Vet. said.

Beckham, no the shows don't run any earlier or later. They are usually so full, the start as early as possible, like 7 a.m. and go to 7 p.m. When it's really hot, they usually are at facilities with covered arenas.

You guys are so used to cold and I am so used to heat. To funny. I think it's cold if it's below 65!! You guys probably think that's a heat wave!

Rode Beau tonight and worked on w-c-w transitions. He did quite well. I weighted my inside seat bone for the down and he was picking it up. Then I was doing some super nice shoulder in and he started spooking like a complete idiot. Only down by K. There are a lot of trees down there, but he was being so silly, I finally got off and longed him in that corner. Got back on and had a faily decent end to my ride. He just has not been the same since that last show. He was kind of grouchy at that show too and I think he felt claustraphobic there, the way the place was laid out, I'm not suprised. Don't think I'll go back down there for a while. I thought it was fine, but things like that have long term effects on Beau and then the colic and eye injury didn't help. I am going to stick to more open venuse for my next couple of shows. He is such a silly boy sometimes. I think I have a ton of patience, and then he pulls this nonsense. He is 13 afterall! Oie ve'

Right quick b/c I didn't get to read all of the posts from this evening:

Eventer: I got your IM back, and I tried to reply, but it wouldn't go. I just typed in "Trainer's Choice Breeches" and it got about 10 results. I do recall a 28 reg, but I'm not 100% positive.

I called the on-call vet; he suggests that our vet come out tomorrow to make sure everything is okay with Jaggar. I'll call in the AM to make the appointment. I also called the chiro: she says based on what I told her, she believes Jag slipped a disc. She says that she can swing by on her way through Iowa to give him the appropriate adjustment. I'm crossing my fingers that we can figure this out because honestly, he is 100% un ridable with his hindend like this. I think he's really uncomfortable. This didn't happen until AFTER his last adjustment... Hum. At any rate, we're praying for a decent outcome. Even if he ends up a pasture pet, I will love him to the end. He is such a good boy!

Okay, gotta go to bed! Thanks for all of the concern for Shannon and Jaggar! At least my little angel is doing better! She's soundly sleeping now. No fever, no coughs, just a precious little angel sleeping soundly!

Sylves- Does not sound normal at all glad you called the vet. Crossing my fingers for Jag. And glad to hear Shannon is feeling much better! I have the ribbed ones and really like them. I went and looked at the brand I recently purchased and they are TC Monarch. I haven't tried the non ribbed but I would be interested.

Beckham- I'm a big procrastinator too. These last 2 weeks I'm like OMG I have soo much stuff to do. I'll be writing papers all week! Even on the ride down to Trainer's I'll be writing. Very cute!

2 papers down one more to go for the week! Yippee! Time for bed...my back is hurting which means that someone is on their way. *sigh* have a good night all

The "kids" are all good...didn't get much done with them in the rain. I found a "husband" for Shelby, but my DH will never let me get another horse...but this would be a cool cross. I know the foal would be a little "mixed" in breeding, but I am not interested in having another WB and want more "brain". (I hope that is not offensive...) Anyway, check this handsome boy out!

http://www.mysticoakranch.com/ourstallions...nceincolor.html

I met Cadence out on the clinic scene when I was traveling, he's quite lovely. I don't hold any love for Samber or Deco, but he's a nice individual. I don't know what mares they have breeding him to though nor have I met the results. Probably would do well with a lighter type.

Good luck.

Interesting Tempi! My husband will never let me:-( But dare to dream. I balked at the Decco in there as well, but figured it would be far enough back. I could always email them for more info.

Everytime I see some cool looking pinto warmblood it has Decco in it and I have to cringe and close the page...*sigh*.

I just wanted to send a kudos to Beck for spotting the stiffness through Jag's hips; she opened my eyes to the root of the problem. Crossing my fingers chiro and vet can figure something out!

Beck, Candence is a nice looking dude! What are your opinions about the Friesian influence?

Yeah, I get to go back to work for a half day! I then get to have my teeth cleaned and get a filling later this afternoon :-) I'm not be sarcastic! I REALLY LOVE clean teeth and I NEED to get OUT of this house!

Off to call Jag's vet; hopefully he can stop by during his day of appointments and take a look at Jag.

I think he's really uncomfortable. This didn't happen until AFTER his last adjustment... Hum.

Sylves, this statement of yours concerns me. Is your chiro a Veterinarian also? Or just a chiro? If she's not a Vet. is she a licensed equine chiro? I have learned the hard way to be very careful with equine chiros. If they are not a Vet. I won't let them work on my horses anymore. I would have your Vet. ***** it before I would let her make anymore adjustments. jmho.