Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

So I did read everyones posts. However I am starting to have computer issues. I need to gat a new vid card. So I am probably going to be more of a lurker for a few days. Not unless I can hop on Hubby's computer. I am trying to keep HC visits short. Trying being the word. LOL>

You know I am going to agree with Beckham here about the chiro. It does sound a bit off that he is worse after the chiro visit. The shaking is just not normal. I almost wonder if maybe there is a nerve that has been pinched somewhere in the hind end?

Beckham, you SO should breed Shelby, but pick an Andy or Luso. You'll get all the brain you could ask for. Just tell hubby that you will breed her, keep the foal, and then sell Shelby :) I'm only half-kidding.

OK, I am off to go ride.

Sylves-I would definately have the vet out, not the chiro at this point? Did I already say that? I am not a vet and just looking at your vids could see some stiffness/possible arthritis in those hocks. I have just seen it look like that a lot in horses of that age. I would treat the arthritis and continue to ride him...the work you do is actually good for them. I agree with Boocoo...is your chiro a vet? I have had the same chiro for 16 years and have never had adverse reactions on any horse. I have seen no change, but never anything worse or negative.

Shiloh-I have been looking at some Luso or Andy's for someone and never considered that cross...hmmm. If I could convince my hubby, I would so love to have another foal to raise. I love dealing with young horses! I prefer goofy young ones over grouchy older ones with baggage any day! I even love the groundwork as a weanling, breaking them, everything. I think it is because most of my life the horses I got were young, my dad would never buy me finished horses because he said I would never learn anything:-) Now, later in life I bought myself a few older trained horses, and hmmm, that isn't always perfect.

The weather here still really sucks!!

Beckham, I LOVE Andys. :D I don't know if the crosses are as late maturing as the purebreds, but it is something to keep in mind. Have fun dreaming!

Oh, I posted a "what should I look for in a second hand truck and trailer" thread on the general horse talk board. Just in case I can think about trading in my current vehicle for a truck. I can dream, right?

Tracy

I'm half thinking early stages of EPM. I'm waiting for the vet's phone call return. I'm at work, so it's so darn difficult to take care of this business until I get home...

Rachel is not a vet, but she is a licensed equine rebalancer. She suggested that he may not do well with the last adjustment because of the way his bones have developed. I agree, the shivering was way off. Not normal. He looks so stiff. I want doc out here like NOW to start the EPM diagnosis process.

Gotta go; I have to get my teeth cleaned and have a cavity drilled...

Well that's good your chiro is at least licensed. There are too many quacks out there. We have to be so careful. I could tell you some horror stories, but it would take me all day! I would not have anymore adjustments done on Jag though, until your Vet. has taken a look at him. Hoping for the best for him! We are all just looking out for you! [Huggy]

You know, I have to be honest here, after boarding at a Friesien barn in Cal., while I really like the breed, I do not care for that breed for dressage. However, I was very seriously considering a young Friesien gelding about a year ago. He was nicely proportioned and showed a lot of promise in dressage, so yeah, even having said I would never own one for dressage, I was considering one!!! I do try to be open minded.

My next horse will be WB and will be a gelding and I would love for him to be at least 17 hands. But that is because I am tall and I like a lot of horse under me. I know of one I would love to have, but sure as heck can't afford his price tag, so I will likely get a baby and raise him myself. Wouldn't be my first BBQ!!! :happy0203:

Sylves, I was wondering about early EPM. I know Fessor's canter got uncoordinated before he showed any neuro symptoms. He's made a full recovery. Hopefully you can get Jag feeling better.

Tracy

I know of a filly who is half Hanno and half Lusitano, and she is precious. I've seen several of that type of cross before and they are very nice. The WB gives some size, while the Luso or Andy gives the brain, flash, hair, and desire to climb into your pocket. As well as soundness.

I have no interest in Friesians either, never really have. Nor in a WB. Might take a WB/Luso cross if it is the right cross, but no real interest in them. They just don't do it for me. Probably in part because everyone has one and I like to be different, and the rest because the ones I have known don't really look or move like anything special. If I am going to pay that kind of price for a horse, I want something that doesn't move like a TB, which can be picked up for about $500 if not for free.

I do know that not all of them are like that, but it just seems like they are way over done and to many people it is a status symbol, or what is required to score well at shows.

Of course I also don't care too much about showing. Maybe if I did I would get more into the WB thing. Or the half-WB thing rather, because I would still always want the Luso or Andy brain.

Oh, Beckham, this is my filly's daddy: www.baroquefarmsusa.com/lusiadas.html

And this is one I REALLY like and would love to cross onto my filly someday, obviously when she is older than a yearling: http://mapleridgeandalusians.com/Uri.htm

Edited by shiloh04

Oh my gosh, Sylves, I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through the worry of EPM. I have to admit that EPM also flashed through my mind when Echo fell in the turnout the other day (when she hurt her leg) and it's a scary thought. Hopefully you'll find out that's not the issue with Jag.

Boocoo - That's funny about the heat thing. I'm right there with you. Under 65 and I'm thinking it's coooold outside!

Beckham - Cadence is gorgeous. I know some people aren't into friesians for dressage, but I love the breed. And he's "flashy" alright. Dang! Too bad you're not allowed to have any more ponies, lol.

shiloh - Good luck with the trailer hunt! Structurally sound is where it's at. You get a good deal and everything else is elbow grease and kind of fun, anyway :)

Tracy - Good luck with the interview!!!

3Day - Two weeks and counting! You must be happy :)

KrazyTB - Sounds like you have similar wind to what we've been having here. I'm feeling no love for it.

I think I'm pretty much caught up now :) What a week. Aside from scrambling to get my taxes done, I've been taking care of Echo's leg which is healing fine, but I just wanted to make sure it didn't get infected where the scrape went deeper. Because it swelled a bit, I haven't ridden her since my lesson, but this weekend I think she should be back in gear and maybe I can finally get pics of the new saddle in action.

So beyond my horse getting banged up, today I found out my dog might have heartworm! He's the same one who's been on meds for Valley Fever for the past six months, and when I brought him in for a blood panel last week to check the titer and at the same time just do an overall panel to see how his liver's dealing with the meds he's been on, etc., he came up positive for heartworm! This is crazy for a few reasons: 1. He's been on Heartguard regularly since I got him from the shelter a few years ago 2. We lived in Oregon, and now AZ, both of which have low incidences of heartworm and 3. I had him tested in 07 as a safety, and he was fine. W T F ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? We're doing another blood test today to be absolutely sure before we treat him, because treatment is expensive and no fun. It's an arsenic treatment that in itself can be dangerous. This dog is a magnet for health issues, but I love him.

Here's are a couple of pics. Please send positive vibes for today's tests to show no heartworm, and that it was some weird mistake with the last one.

snow4.jpg

hike.jpg

Edited by e.s.dressage

Awwww ESD I hope your doggy is OK. Sometimes labs mix up samples, so maybe they tested another dog and just mixed it up.

Awwww ESD I hope your doggy is OK. Sometimes labs mix up samples, so maybe they tested another dog and just mixed it up.

Well, it showed the Valley Fever titer (now lower, since he's been on his meds, so at least that's good), so it's his alright. But, as I'm racking my brain and thinking of any other possibility, I was wondering if maybe since he just had his Heartguard a couple of days prior, that was in his bloodstream and made a false positive? I'm so worried. [Me Cry]

If he really has it, that's two potentially fatal diseases this dog has had in the few years I've had him: Valley Fever and Heartworm. I just don't get it? there are all those dogs out there that people throw in the backyard and they're fine, then here's mine who gets all the care in the world, and this is where we're at. So sad... anxiously awaiting the new tests at 4:00, and the results however much later than that. *biting nails* Please wish Hemi luck!!!

Edited by e.s.dressage

ES-I hope your dog is okay!! I'll have lost some faith in Heartguard if that is the case!!

I will update more later as I am off to help a friend with a short babysitting gig:-( (Starbucks first, of course!) And yes, I rode in the rain today because I am an idiot:-)

ESD, did you get the test results yet? I guess you're in a different time zone than me (1 hour behind me?), so maybe you're still waiting for the phone call. That's scary because I always thought the wormer was 100% effective. I always had Champ on HeartGard, but his new vet only carries Iverheart Max, which is a bit of a wider spectrum wormer. We really have to make sure Champ eats his wormer tablet; I don't think the IHM tastes as good as the HGP. I would like to go back to the HGP because I know for sure that Champ will eat it. Is it possible that Hemi didn't eat one of his doses or that you accidentally missed a dose? You are so right; most dogs survive half emaciated in a yard or basement with half the treatment responsible owners would give, and they live just find. Then there are the dogs that we pamper, and they seem to get all of the problems!!! It seems to be the same with horses... the more we dote on them, the more likely they are going to have something wrong with them... I'm sorry about Hemi. I hope everything works out for you and him! Poor guy!

Tracy, that is interesting that you were thinking EPM too (for Jaggar, right?). Tell me some more about your EPM experience with Fessor and EPM. What kind of antiprotozoal did you use? How long did it take to recover? Did you get a satisfactory recovery? We dealt with EPM too; Chad's WB, Quincy (Sylves) got EPM. We treated him 3 different times, each time being unsuccessfully. We drew a spinal on him to be 100% sure. There was no blood contamination, thankfully. Oh man, I NEVER want to have to do a spinal again. I just don't want to do that to Jaggar, but... I don't know. Maybe just some neuro tests, a blood test to see if he was even exposed to the protozoa, and proceed with a drug (skip the definitive spinal tap...)

Fresians... I don't know much about the breed except for what I've heard from others (opinions, not facts). I have an eventer friend in TX who ADORES the breed. She has a fresian that does strictly dressage; he's a handsome fellow. Then there's Chad who thinks they're a fad. I've heard that fresians make great carriage horses, but you DO see them doing pretty well in the dressage world. I say, if the animal has wonderful movement that will allow him to excell at his sport, then it's a huge plus! Obviously, there's more to it than just movement.

Okay, so I am about ready to drive myself to my vet's HOUSE because he NEVER called me back. I called the office again this evening; she said that she passed the message onto Dr. T, but he must had been busy. I politely asked her to pass the message onto him again. She promises that tomorrow she'll personally see to it that he calls me. I'm hoping so, because the more I watch Jaggar walk, the more I see neuro-ness. <sigh>

On the positive side of things, Shannon had a good day with G-ma so that Chad and I could go to work. My dentist appointment went well. I handled the numbing injection okay (I am scared of needles, and today was no different). My teeth feel smooth and clean. Dinner is in the crock pot, so there's not much necessary prep for dinner.

Chad's here; gotta go!

ESD, did you get the test results yet? I guess you're in a different time zone than me (1 hour behind me?), so maybe you're still waiting for the phone call. That's scary because I always thought the wormer was 100% effective.

I won't hear back until tomorrow. They're doing two more tests. One in-house and one to the lab.

I'm not faulting Heartguard on this. I am potentially faulting 1800petmeds. I had no idea, until my vet told me today, that they get a lot of their stuff from overseas (i.e. China). Merial won't sell directly to them apparently. So I guess there have been issues with their meds not being reliable or correctly formulated. I had no freaking clue, and that's where I've been getting the Heartguard. I'm so bummed. I'm also worried that maybe I missed a dose and it's my fault, but I read online today that even if you space them four months apart (not that I did that - I gave it monthly) it's still 95% effective. So no matter what it's baffling. I'm still hoping the positive test was just a mistake, but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out. Aaaaagh....

Edited by e.s.dressage

I look at Friesians like stilletos---when they are right, they are gorgeous, comfortable, floaty, stable, classy and full of a good walk, but done averagely and all you end up is a cute pair of shoes you can't wear and festering blisters.

I know one I love watching go undersaddle--whheeewyy, but I have yet to personally see another, although I blessed enough to have Iron Springs Farm near by so I at least get to hear about their performances at Devon!

I've been reading, okay, so skimming, but all y'all are chatty as of recent!

ES--Prayers your way! Your dog is gorgeous and the case is troubling and like a mystery frankly. I'm wishing Hemi all the luck in the world!

Undersaddle has been good recently. We had a dressage lesson this afternoon which was productive and good. I've got to pick up a slightly expensive thin riser pad (I don't remember the company, another rider in the barn has one) for The Pony to make up for the saddle...plus, towels won't cut it as risers in our event in a couple of weeks!

I'm kinda wigging out because our event is coming up so fast and I've got so much other stuff going on between flute concerts, endless work hours, AP classes, teaching sunday school, prom, etc. I'm worried that a) we won't be ready for the ring and B) that I won't have time to turn the dark palomino mudfest pony back into a sparkling white dream pony! haha

3day--Hey, are you going to Fairhill on May 2nd for the unrecognized? I'll be there. But don't watch. Its gonna be my first time there and the first and possibly last competition of the season, so I am a weeee bit nervous!

Rain Rain Go Away Please come Back.....after the event!

The first signs I had of something NQR with Fessor was a loss of quality of his canter. He slowly lost some balance and rhythm in the canter, but never felt like he was going to fall over. It was more that we got a four beat canter that was very hard to counteract, even when he was going fairly quickly. He also started losing muscle along his topline and in his haunches. The muscles in his haunches got soft and was a bit asymmetrical. It was a few more months before he showed any neuro signs. Eventually, I could pull his tail toward me and keep him two tracking -- VERY weak in the back end.

The folks at the equine referral clinic in Runnels have a treatment that costs about HALF what Marquis costs. It's given in two doses (three days apart), either administered as a liquid via nasalgastro tube or as a paste. I'll have to look up the name of the drug. It's compounded in a pharmacy, not something he just picks up off the shelf. I've known four horses with EPM (somewhat early, not falling down neurological) to make a full recovery off this treatment. It took awhile, but I noticed some improvement within the first week after the second treatment. If your vet calls Dr. Brad (Gordon?) at the Equine Referral Clinic in Runnells, he ought to be able to tell your vet what he uses.

We had a rash of EPM at a previous barn (four horses treated within six months). It got to the point that once horses started showing neuro signs, the vets treated for EPM. No spinal, it's quite a bit more expensive than the treatment. The first time I heard of it, I thought it was snake oil. But I couldn't argue with the results I saw. Hopefully IF Jaggar has EPM, it's early enough to treat and reverse. I didn't want to mention EPM as a possibility, because of your difficult experience with Quincy! I know it can still be a hard disease to treat for some horses, but I have seen several horses recover. None of them were *severe* cases though.

Tracy

It took a bit of searching, but I found the post with the name of the drug we used to treat Fessor for EPM. toltrazuril.

Tracy

Chad just went out to do chores, and he did some neuro tests. Jag would cross his legs, and then uncross on his own. Chad did not see any unevenness with muscle development (drooping muzzle/nose/eyes, etc, hind quarter muscles looked even and strong). He sincerely thinks it's not EPM, but he does agree that a thorough work up with Dr. T would be beneficial. I would like to state that Rachel, the chiro, did warn me that her latest adjustment may not go over too well because of the way Jaggar's hips developed when he was young (assuming). Granted, Rachel wasn't expecting this intense of a reaction, but nevertheless, she did warn me of a 50/50 chance that the adjustment would work. I don't know... She is coming out tomorrow to readjust his hips so that they're back to where they were, and to check/adjust/re balance the vertebrae that seems to be out.

ESD, I never knew that about 1800petmeds! I did always question whether the meds were expired, though, when you don't buy directly from the vet's office. I used to buy my Frontline and Heartguard for a greatly reduced price over the internet (only for a couple months worth), and after pondering the idea that the meds were sub par, I decided to spend the extra and go back to buying directly from the vet. I would had never thought that 1800petmeds would sell unsatisfactory meds, though! Wow! I wonder what the BBB has on record for them? I really hope Hemi is okay. (That's a cool name, btw!)

ILD, Yey! eventing!!! Sounds like fun- Fair Hill unrecognized HT's! What level are you going to go? You'll get that pony all cleaned up and ready, even with everything else going on right now! Prom really can be a cinch. Maybe you could get a sub for Sunday School? There is not much you can do about the workloads (AP classes and work), but if you stay on top of it, things should work out! Flute concerts? That sounds like it might require some of your time! (All sarcasm intended!) Just think, Summer/graduation will be here before you know it!

ESD, I never knew that about 1800petmeds!

Ugh, I just found this thread online: counterfeit meds, and others like it, although I looked the company up on the BBB and there was nothing bad, so who knows. But, if you look at the second post on the thread I posted, it mentions somebody's dog who had been on Heartguard through 1800petmeds who ended up testing positive for heartworms. Sound familiar?

Anyhoo, this is neither horse nor dressage related, so I'll let it go now (on here) and will just let you all know how the tests that we did today come back. Hopefully it'll have been a lot of worry over nothing. Thanks for all of the support!

Just a quick update...I am whooped after watching 11 kids! Some people I know have church group at their house every other week and my friend and I watch the kids for some extra cash. They are nice people and some nice little kids:-)

ESD-I never knew that either about 1800...I buy Cosequin and Advantix from Smartpak and get the Heartguard at the vet. However, I just got a sample of Revolution for the cats and some coupons, so I am getting it for the dogs next time...it is topical and does fleas and heartworm. I hope your dog is okay. We went through a lot with our dog a few years ago with spinal surgery.

Sylves-I had Poet treated for EPM a few years ago and he was fine. We used Marquis. I still don't see the same thing in Jagger that I saw in Poet. What did your vet say when you went to his house?

Shiloh-Cool...I will check out those stallions tomorrow:-)

Boocoo-I am not a Friesian fan either...they are very popular around here....I have worked with a few and they are very sweet and pretty, just not the movement I am looking for.

So, I had to ride in the steady drizzle because it didn't let up at all today. Beckham was a crazy man...Spring willies, but ended up a nice, yet wet, ride.

So, now they are thinking not strangles at the neighbors...crazy town there, I tell ya.

Okay, going up to bed to watch Idol and doze off...weather is supposed to perk up tomorrow!

Busy day.

We're gearing in for a show, which means unless show ground has wireless, I'm SOL and will be away starting Friday (living in LQ in ***). I still need to pack my own stuff, clean and set up my "yard sale" box for a friend who is going to be repping for me at the barn while away.

Then there's the equine population...

We're showing two, taking three this time around and it's huge prep work on my end.

I ended up pulling the haflinger's mane. Which made my hands go sore. Hindsight being what it is, I should have given in to temptation and hogged it off, but the vain snob in me says: I couldn't have gotten the pretty button braids out of it.

Sinari was a gem, coming off of her massage in good work. She's shaping up nicely for Saturday and Sunday's show. Jingle hard for above 60 percent, so I won't have to show until August at NDPC!

May is beginning to bag up. Spent a half hour scratching her bum, and keeping her company. She's one of the few ponies that lends a good ear. She's on and off about treats at this point.

Becks- Understand about Deco, we have a son of his in the barn, even though he's two and taller than 90 percent of the population- he's a pain. I've seen a few pinto warmbloods out there without Samber or Deco in there and they are actually eventing (RPSI book). I like Sympatico's mares.

My SO, is ultimately very casual about the breeding and equine population as long as it doesn't fringe on the household expenses and my current time scheduling (over booked). This foal is on the market, but I probably won't let it go until I'm ready to. We have ET starting in January, and after that-- I'm done.

Well Sylves, that's just it, Friesiens really don't do that well in dressage. They are a draft breed and built to pull a cart or wagon. That's why they have that flat, pulling movement and look like they are paddling. They don't do to bad at lower level dressage, but you don't see very many go to far past first level. That's because they are such a heavy breed that once you start asking for collection they have a tendency to break down. If used for their bred purpose of pulling a cart, they can go on forever without so many soundness issues. You do have a few that make to upper levels and they can be stunning to watch, but they are the exception to the breed, not the norm.

Beckham, kudos to you for watching 11 kids. No, I really don't like the Friesien movement for a dressage horse either. I had a friend that had one that was really stunning and in particular when he was pulling his two wheel cart. You are a better woman than I am. I don't do drizzle!! I am a wimp!

When I got home today my shoer was here and he said Beau blew up once. He never does that, so whatever has been bugging him is really getting to be an issue. I decided to go ahead and ride, as we may be in for some rain for the next couple of days. I saddled him up and he was fine, decided to go ahead and longe him in side reins before getting on him. That was fine. Got on him and did walk in both directions by scary spooky horse eating oak tree at end of arena by A. He was fine both directions. Did some rising trot warm up all over the arena, 20 m circles, 15 m circles, 10 m circles, lengthening across diagnols, serpentines, he was a little looky in that corner, but mostly he was fine. Ok, so I wend down to S and did walk, trot, canter, trot, walk transitions, then walk to canter, spiraled in and cantered 10m circle, then back out to 20m circle, 3 half halts, weight outside seat bone and he walked, then back from walk to canter and did it again. He seems to like that, so did it the other way. He did feel a bit unbalanced in the left lead canter so I did a bunch of canter, trot, canter transitions first, then did the w-c-w and he was fine. So we worked on some leg yield from center line to M, pick up left lead canter, then I would canter across the diagnol and trot at x, then back up center line, leg yield to H and pick up right lead canter. He did those beautifully, so we walked on a loose rein, then medium walk, halt at C, rein back 4 steps, proceed medium walk, very nicely done. I was very pleased with him and told my dh Beau redeemed himself. My dh said my world revolves around Beau and he laughs and tells me I am cute cause I love my horse so much. He is such a sweet man and I am so lucky to have him for my husband!!

Anyway, that was a lot and kudos to anyone who read it all. I have been frustrated with this set back as of late, so tonights ride was awesome. He will now get a day off and I will ride again on Fri. if it doesn't rain.

Edited by Boocoo

Ohhh starting to bag up!! Not that it necessarily means a ton in mare world, but its getting closer anyway. When is she "due"? Got your foaling kit ready? Make sure you have a baby bottle, as my filly would not have survived without being bottle fed. She was huge and had trouble standing and nursing at first. Also, cut a bigger hole in the nipple. I know firsthand that they really can't get anything out thru the tiny hole designed for human babies ;)

My fiance is not too tight on the number of horses here either. If I had the money, there is a nice Arab/Luso I would probably try to steal from my instructor. But mine are out all the time and I only have a bit over 3 acres, 1.5 of which is resting and has been for a couple months. Just no room for a 5th horse here.

So I was looking at some rear-facing trailers online today, and I discovered that Hawk makes a rear-facing 2h slant BP. Payments on one is like $160 a month. Please convince me this is a BAD idea...

Shiloh, save that $160 each month instead and pay cash for a trailer later on. You can always rent one if you really need to go somewhere.

Yeah, thats what I would end up doing. If I really NEED to go somewhere, I can always ask a couple friends.

Ohhh starting to bag up!! Not that it necessarily means a ton in mare world, but its getting closer anyway. When is she "due"? Got your foaling kit ready? Make sure you have a baby bottle, as my filly would not have survived without being bottle fed. She was huge and had trouble standing and nursing at first. Also, cut a bigger hole in the nipple. I know firsthand that they really can't get anything out thru the tiny hole designed for human babies ;)

My fiance is not too tight on the number of horses here either. If I had the money, there is a nice Arab/Luso I would probably try to steal from my instructor. But mine are out all the time and I only have a bit over 3 acres, 1.5 of which is resting and has been for a couple months. Just no room for a 5th horse here.

So I was looking at some rear-facing trailers online today, and I discovered that Hawk makes a rear-facing 2h slant BP. Payments on one is like $160 a month. Please convince me this is a BAD idea...

If you're going to take a loan out for a trailer, then get the trailer you really want.

IMHO, trucks are the ones that you'll continuously have to replace every so often, and me being who I am, I don't mind driving a used vehicle. When it comes to horse trailers though, I'd rather have what I want the first time around because I know it won't be replaced for a solid ten to fifteen years, and they often retain better value (and I know I can sell it fairly easily vs. car or truck).

So my strategy is this: buy a used truck that is capable of hauling the kind of trailer I want (2 box convertible, horse GN with LQ, rear tack, step up) and improve my credit enough where I could take out a loan for the trailer.

She's not showing milk veins yet-- just starting to fill up. I think around 300 days we'll be cooking. Foal-kit-wise, yes, the kit is ready completely down to detail, completely with extra mountain of rags. I just need to get some peppermint mash from Smartpak, who should be in town for the Rolex (I'm playing hookey from work next week).

About friesians:

It really depends on the type. For the area you live in, you might see more of the cart-horses, but I've seen plenty the sporty, U/L ones around here and in Europe. In fact, there was an FEI YH one that did fabulously a few years ago, should be making his return as a Developing Horse at the Lamplight show. Jane S down in Florida has one, and I know there's a number of them making third and fourth level premiers this year.

I think the statement about lower levels is more of a rider thing.

The problem I find with them is that while they are easy to get on with, they are harder to be honest about. Most people put them round and completely forget about the hind end. Plus they have a weaker canter due to being a cart horse for a couple centuries. It happens but, there are worse fates to have.

About friesians:

It really depends on the type. For the area you live in, you might see more of the cart-horses, but I've seen plenty the sporty, U/L ones around here and in Europe. In fact, there was an FEI YH one that did fabulously a few years ago, should be making his return as a Developing Horse at the Lamplight show. Jane S down in Florida has one, and I know there's a number of them making third and fourth level premiers this year.

I think the statement about lower levels is more of a rider thing.

The problem I find with them is that while they are easy to get on with, they are harder to be honest about. Most people put them round and completely forget about the hind end. Plus they have a weaker canter due to being a cart horse for a couple centuries. It happens but, there are worse fates to have.

I have seen plenty of sporty Friesiens, especially since most of my experience with them is California where they are a huge fad. Simply put, they are not built for dressage and they have a lot of problems with breaking down past 1st level. Has nothing to do with the rider, facts are facts. Most BNT trainers will tell you that. Jane Savoie is indeeed an exception and being the fabulous trainer that she is, she could probably make a burro look good at GP. As I previously stated, the ones that make it to the upper levels are indeed fabulous, but they are the exception to the breed, not the norm. That's why you don't see to many Friesiens at the upper levels. They simply can't physically go that far.

Dobby- Nope won't be going. I'm thinking of doing the Boyd Martin clinic on May 3rd....but am not sure yet. Good luck kick some butt!

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Boocoo on a few things. When I was at Regionals I saw quite a few friesians @ 3rd and above. Not all Warmbloods will excell in dressage either along with various other breeds. Friend of mine as a lovely friesian with a kick a s s canter...and they are currently showing successfully at 4th level.

I will agree with you that it at times is not always the rider. But I like Friesians I find that some of them are quite lovely in the dressage ring. I have quite a few DQ friends that are a bit against the breed in the dressage world. Dressage should be about versatility of the horse. Just my personal opinion :)

Cheers!

Ok ponyboy having a bit of a tense week. Tonight will be a long and low type of frame work. But lesson w/ Mr. Trainer tomorrow! Get stuff around so we can hook up and make our trip to MD for lesson. Have a good day all.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you Boocoo on a few things. When I was at Regionals I saw quite a few friesians @ 3rd and above. Not all Warmbloods will excell in dressage either along with various other breeds. Friend of mine as a lovely friesian with a kick a s s canter...and they are currently showing successfully at 4th level.

I will agree with you that it at times is not always the rider. But I like Friesians I find that some of them are quite lovely in the dressage ring. I have quite a few DQ friends that are a bit against the breed in the dressage world. Dressage should be about versatility of the horse. Just my personal opinion :)

Cheers!

3day, we are most certainly all entitled to our opinions, but I will make one thing perfectly clear. I am not against Friesiens and I most certainly am very well aware that not all WB's make it to the top either. But a WB will exel over a Friesien because conformationally they are built for dressage, where as Friesiens are built to pull. As I said, 3 times now, the Friesiens that make it above and beyone 1st level are the exception, not the norm and you don't see very many above 1st level. I did not say you don't see ANY, I said you don't see MANY! Ok, I am done with this topic now. Good day all!

Oh, you chatty people, you! lol!

I had to skim through the most recent posts because I'm limited with my breaks at work.

I actually didn't drive to my vet's house, lol. I really wanted to, though because I was feeling rather anxious about all of this. He finally called this morning, but of course, my phone didn't pick it up the call because I work in a basement, and I don't get very good reception down here. I left my classroom briefly, walked upstairs and tried calling Dr. T back, but it was no good. The line was busy (it's calving season, so all of our vets are REALLY Really busy. He left a message; he'll try to get back to me later this afternoon...

The chiro is stopping by today to put things back to where they were last week (before his last adjustment). She did warn me that the last adjustment may not agree with Jaggar (and it didn't, lol).

Okay, gotta go- check out my warning thread about the possible conficker worm....