Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

I've always been told there are actually 2 different "types" of Friesians. The were initially a riding horse several centuries ago, but they started being bred as fancy cart horses so they lost the riding build and the canter. The registries are trying to transition back to a riding horse though, so they are promoting more of a riding conformation and putting more emphasis on the canter.

One thing we have to remember with any imported breed is that most of the imports are going to be the lesser stock. The breeders don't sell their top horses. Especially among people with a limited budget, you are going to see more horses bred for pulling (that have the less desirable conformation). That is what is cheaper and more available to import. I think there are some that are built to do the upper levels, but at your average show that is NOT what you will see. Those top horses go to the top riders, such as Jane Savoie. They don't go to average adult ammie who shows first or second.

So if they are a trend in CA, you're going to see more of the lesser individuals because they are just not enough top horses to go around.

Just my personal opinion on the whole thing. I don't like the ones I have seen in person either as they do move a bit more like a cart horse. I like a horse that looks light on its feet, and they just don't. Of course, with that much mass and the feathers and hair and huge hooves, it is very hard for them to look light on their feet. I have seen a couple Clydes that I really liked, but I know they are not the typical horse for their breed.

Just like the WB's and the Andy/Luso's, breeders hold onto their top horses. Hence why you see some Andy's who move like a sewing machine. And quite a few WB's move like a TB because we use so many TB mares here. We import what we can get and breed those, and they are just not the prime examples of their breeds.

Tempi, i have no issue buying and driving a used vehicle either. My truck is actually an 85 diesel 3/4 ton Suburban (only 200k miles and babied though, one owner). My fiance bought his truck used, though it is an 04. Good point regarding the trailer being around for so long. I will have to sit down and talk to him and see what we want to do. I would love to have something nice that I will want to keep instead of something that may fall apart in 3 years. I just don't know if it is in the budget right now.

And I don't tend to want BIG anyway. I just want a 2h, something rear-facing, dressing room optional. NO MANGERS. BP because of my Suburban, and his truck is only a 1/2 ton but has a factory tow package. He still has a couple years of car payment though, so I am not sure if we want to take on a trailer payment too.

Tracy, I REALLY appreciate all of that great information!

Our doc. used Oxytetracycline (sp?) via IV for 7 days, HIGH dose on Quincy when he was severely neuro for the third time. I'll tell you what, that horse improved at least 80% by the end of that week! We did not enjoy administering the IV once a day (Chad did the administering...), but man, it helped Quincy. Granted, I believed that Quincy would never fully recover because we ignorantly let him go too long with his initial EPM symptoms. We kept denying the idea of EPM. Well, truth be told, denying gets you no where.

When I was speaking with Rachel, the chiro, she explained that she has worked on many horses that were diagnosed with EPM. She says there's a vet in Reynolds (or maybe it's the same place you're speaking of) that has tried the Oxytetra treatment, but prefers an even cheaper treatment because it can be administered orally. Rachel is going to give me the name and number of the vet. It will be very interesting to see if this wormer you speak of is the same wormer Rachels speaks of!

I do know that with all three EPM flareups, Quincy showed very different clinical symptoms. Apparently the type and location of the symptoms are entirely influenced by the location of the protozoa. If the little buggers are chowing down on the nerves near the brain, then you see the symptoms in the face. Likewise if the buggers are chowing down on the nerves toward the the tail, then you see symptoms occur in the hind quarters. It's a very tricky infection to diagnose with clinical symptoms.

Boocoo, Congrats on a successful ride!

. My dh said my world revolves around Beau and he laughs and tells me I am cute cause I love my horse so much. He is such a sweet man and I am so lucky to have him for my husband!!

Haha, that sounds like a carbon copy of Chad!

Boocoo, Congrats on a successful ride!

Haha, that sounds like a carbon copy of Chad!

Think about my poor hubby...I have had Winston longer then I have had him and my life revolves around 3 of them!!!

OK, update on my dog! The new tests found no larvae microfilariae in his bloodstream, so they're thinking it was either a false positive or the other test only detected an adult female heartworm and she hasn't been having babies yet (?). Anyway, my vet's not there today so they just called with that info to keep me in the loop, and my vet will call tomorrow with more info or suggestions for me. I'm feeling better already though :)

You know ESD, I am not bashing your vet here, but it sounds like the lab may have gotten two samples mixed up. Adult heart worms themselves are not tiny, so it doesn't make sense for them to find one in the blood sample. Small mixups like this do happen.

Here's to hoping it was a mistake, and your doggy is fine!

I was wondering about the whole adult female deal myself. That wasn't my vet on the phone today though, it was the office staff because my vet wasn't in, so I'll hear more tomorrow. If it was a mixup, I'm fine with that. Things happen, and I was horrified to think that my dog might have to go through the difficult treatment. So, if it was a mixup, good deal and better that than him really having them :)

Well Sylves and Beckham, good thing our guys understand our horses. Ha ha. I met my dh thru horses. I did not have Beau then, I had my old mare Little Chic and then the two of us have had a few horses over the years. He grew up with horses also and his sister and brother showed reining horses. He used to work at a track galopping horses in his younger days. Like in high school!

E.S. sounds like your dog is going to be all right. We are watching the dog show on Animal Planet right now. There are some dogs I have never even heard of on there!!!

Thanks Sylves. I was relieved Beau acted "normal" I did not ride tonight. It's trying to rain, so cleaned his stall real good and changed the shavings out. Put some fresh ones. I use those pelleted shavings. I love those. Cleaned out his water and got his stall all ready for him to have to be in it for a couple of days. [Me Cry] It's really amazing how when I first got him he would not leave his stall and go into his turn out and now he does not like to be penned in! That took about 7 years!!! :twitch: He really is a lot calmer and relaxed and gets more and more so each passing year!

I am going to bed. I need to get there early tonight!

Tempi, i have no issue buying and driving a used vehicle either. My truck is actually an 85 diesel 3/4 ton Suburban (only 200k miles and babied though, one owner). My fiance bought his truck used, though it is an 04. Good point regarding the trailer being around for so long. I will have to sit down and talk to him and see what we want to do. I would love to have something nice that I will want to keep instead of something that may fall apart in 3 years. I just don't know if it is in the budget right now.

And I don't tend to want BIG anyway. I just want a 2h, something rear-facing, dressing room optional. NO MANGERS. BP because of my Suburban, and his truck is only a 1/2 ton but has a factory tow package. He still has a couple years of car payment though, so I am not sure if we want to take on a trailer payment too.

I understand, in my case, I want something large enough that will be comfortable to haul mares/foals with, but handy enough to get the rest of the herd on with it. I preferred box shipping for sometime. I also don't like staying at hotels.

Tempi, oh, what I'd give to have a living quarters, lol! Chad keeps looking at goose necks with living quarters because he hates leaving his horses in stalls (period) let alone a completely strange place. He wants to be RIGHT THERE just in case there's a problem. At any rate, I would be so tickled if we could just find a 3/4 ton extended cab with decent milage and in good working shape for.... eh, maybe $2000, lol! If you hear of such a deal, let me know!

ESD, Oh, I am really rooting for you and Hemi! It sounds like good news thus far. Do keep us posted. Who cares that it's not horse or dressage related! I truly care to see how things are going. Plus, we all learned something very important about 1800petmeds!!! How is your mare? Is that leg getting any better? Has there been any more missteps or falling? It just freaks me out when I see a horse fall!

Chad said that this morning when he did chores, Jag was running around and bucking up a storm. He said, "That little turd is feeling FINE!" The chiro didn't show and the darn vet didn't call... We'll try again tomorrow. I swear, if this horse was dieing, I'd have to load him up and drive two hours minimum in order to get some decent veterinary care!

Ew, I'm watching Pessoa do his jump off round at the Rolex World Cup in Las Vegas! It's being televised tonight until 11:00, so I won't be going to bed for another half hour, lol! Oh, wow, his horse just landed ON an oxer! Holy smokes! He looked rather irritated! The commercials are awesome!!!!! I'm lovin' it. Eventer, this reminds me; you're so stinkin' lucky because aren't you going to the Rolex in Kentucky... I so want to be you for this weekend, lol! EW, another horse just slammed into a fence!! WOw, this is exciting! Now McLean Ward is going. What a great rider! I wanted to marry him back in the day, lol! He just finished a BEAUTIFUL round that put him in second place!!!!! Now there's Beerabuam's wife that just landed a first place, and I think her horse is a TB; All Hail the Thoroughbred!thankyouthankyou.gif

Edited by Sylves

Tempi, oh, what I'd give to have a living quarters, lol! Chad keeps looking at goose necks with living quarters because he hates leaving his horses in stalls (period) let alone a completely strange place. He wants to be RIGHT THERE just in case there's a problem. At any rate, I would be so tickled if we could just find a 3/4 ton extended cab with decent milage and in good working shape for.... eh, maybe $2000, lol! If you hear of such a deal, let me know!

I'll keep my ear to the ground.

I didn't know the joys of LQ's until I had to stay in one, I normally commuted from my house or a hotel, also schleped my stuff everywhere. Until I stayed I had no idea what I was missing. The other idea for the box is because I attend verband inspections at many farms that don't have extra stalls, I'm constantly holding onto ponies and young foals all day, I'd rather after we're done open the trailer up and let them hang out in there.

Anyone else going to Rolex this year? I'm getting in on a Volunteer and (I think) press pass. Let me know if you guys want to meet up, I'll be out on Thursday, maybe Friday.

Boocoo- Not trying to gang up on you. I completely respect you and your ideas. My ponyboy, I believe is part Morgan one reason I likethe breed of Friesians as well. :happy0203: Anyways that is that.

Sylves- I'll take lots of pics @ Rolex for you :)

Tempi- I'm going to the Rolex. i'll be there Fri-Sun. :)

Off to get around and get the ponyboy loaded. Friend of mine is coming down to MD w/ me too video tape my lesson. Woot! Hopefully Mr. Trainer can help me out on one big issue and much more that has arisen this week.

Sylves-I heard Steffan was awesome as welll! I wish I had gotten to see him when he was here for Equine Affair...but real life comes first, hahahaha. I hope you get your vet out:-)

3Day-I have a lesson today too...have fun! I wish I had someone to record mine:-) Everyone will be at work today.

Tempi-When I was a kid I always wished we had a trailer with LQ, and my parents were much more the hotel kind of people...oh well.

Shiloh-Did your weather get any better? It is supposed to be 70 and sunny here today.

I will update more later....I have a lot to do before my lesson!

Weather, no this is FL. It will be hot, barring hurricanes, until November or December. We did get 2" of rain the other day, finally, and should get a little more on Monday, or so they say. It actually doesn't usually rain this early, so we are hoping this year will not be a drought like the past 2. I'm rather tired of feeding hay since I am allergic to it.

I think we decided to get a newer trailer and finance it just for safety reasons. I don't have $4k to pay for somethign newer and used, and I worry about how safe and reliable a 20-year-old trailer might be. So I am looking at less-fancy BPs and considering a 16' stock (lightweight, small boxes for 2 horses, but *could* cram all 4 in there in an emergency), or I found a 3h slant that is a couple years old but still new. I just want something safe that will haul well. I don't think we will buy anything until this fall though.

3day, [Huggy] I love your pony boy and I love Morgans. I was looking at one a while back. He was 16.1 and trained to first level. He was 6 years old. I was very interested in him and then he sold.

Sylves, I stayed in LQ trailers a few times and it was very nice and convenient to be right there at the show grounds with the horses. But I don't mind going to a hotel either and for as much as I show, could not justify the cost of a LQ trailer, vs. paying cash for my nice, 4Star, two horse, bp trailer. What we pay for hotels in one year is nowhere near what we would pay for a LQ and we would have to have payments on an LQ. So we suffice with hotels! Those LQ's are super nice though. What I would really prefer is a diesel pusher RV to pull the trailer with. That way I wouldn't have to haul that huge honkin goose neck all the time, could pull the trailer with my pick up when I didn't need to be gone over night. Like to weekly lessons, the vet., local shows, etc.... and use the diesel pusher to go camping and other such things!! Here is a link to the trailer we bought a year ago. I really like this trailer. It's light weight and I get a lot better gas mileage with it than I did my old steel, 3 horse, bp.

http://www.gulfcoast4star.com/trailer_deta...116&cat=132

It is storming here today! Yeah. We need the rain so bad. But there is a dressage workshop tomorrow and I am betting it will have to be canceled. I am not riding in it though and the rain should clear out so I can go audit my sporthorse versatility workshop on Sunday.

Edited by Boocoo

So yesterday was interesting. First, I put Rex in the round pen and bridled him and then put a saddle on for the first time. He could totally care less. Went straight to eating grass. So I made him move around, w/t/c for a few steps, again no issue. Its so nice to have such a well mannered and centered baby.

After that, when the horses were coming in to eat, I was holding Rex by the halter waiting for Ben and Layla to go into their stalls. Well Ben goes into Laylas stall and she starts freaking out and backing up and Rex decided it was time to get out of there because he knows Layla and Ben chase him if they get close, so all of a sudden he wheels back, taking me with him, remember Im holding onto his halter, and jerks me around in a 180 and Im like "Not going to fall not going to fall" trying to get my balance but nope, I slammed into the mud, which by the way, is sandy loom and when that gets wet its like concrete! I landed on my left side but my whole right side is killing me from the impact and getting jerked around.

I went to the chiro and got a deep massage and I felt tons better. Then I got adjusted and omg you guys should have hear my hips and lower back. Sounded like rice crispie treats going off! But I feel much better. Im more sore than anything.

Farrier was supposed to be here yesterday and ended up pushing it to today. I told him Laylas shoes were about to come off and yup, her LF is gone. Oyyyy.....

shiloh, I think that is a good idea on the trailer. BTW, my girlfriend has a Hawk and it is AMAZING. She got it customized with a side ramp. Its a 2H straight load with front and side ramp and dressing room BP. I love it. There is a trailer company in NC or SC called Happy Trails Trailers. That lady is amazing and she does great work. Another friend of ours just ordered her Hawk from there as well. She comes very recommended.

Boo, poor Beau. I hope he settles down soon. At least you got some good riding in!

Beck, 11 kids?! No way in the world would you catch me there. Where are those pics at?!? [bat Eyelashes]

Sylves, glad to hear Jag is back to his old self. And that Shannon is feeling a lot better.

Tempi, have fun at the show and good luck. Be careful driving!

3Day, hope the lesson is great!

ESD, glad to hear it is negative now but I am with you, sounds very fishy with the whole HW results. I hope you get it figured out soon.

Sorry if I missed anyone.

BTW I didnt have my camera with me last night when I saddled Rex but I did have my cell. Heres a pic and a VERY blurry video clip just to show he DID wear a saddle. Pic and video are less than 1 min after final girthing. And yes, he has a bridle on.

0416091923.jpg

th_0416091924.jpg

Happy Trails is actually one of the companies that contacted me about a rear-facing. That's what I would love to have, but I also like the idea of getting a 16' stock with the center divider. Lightweight, and in an emergency I could haul all 4 horses.

KTM, Rex seems like such a sweetie! Poor guy freaked out when he thought the others were going to continue the whole initiation process, lol. It's a good thing for chiropractors! My chiro keeps my back healthy! I don't know what I'd do without the old man that adjusts my back.

Shiloh, I am assuming what you mean by "rear facing" is that the trailer is basically a stock trailer divided up into stalls. That way, if your horse travels best facing the rear of the trailer, it's no problem. Also, it's a big open stall area for your horse to find his own balance. I know that Chad prefers the stock trailers with large stalls over those narrow straight and slant loads. I look at some of those slant loads; I don't think Quincy would had fit in one of those, and I didn't see how the partions could be removed. Also, the one time we tried loading Quincy into a straight load, 2 horse bp, he absolutely REFUSED to get near the thing, but I'll be, he loaded up like a champ onto our step up 6 horse stock trailer (I call it the Aircraft Carrier because it's so big- I think it's a '76!).

I don't know; everytime Chad and I go to the horse expo in Lincoln, we like to cruise through the trailer exhibits. Some of those LQ's are nicer than my house! I joke with Chad that we should just buy the trailer with LQ and move out of our house! LOL. I mean, seriously, they're THAT nice!

I'm still waiting for Dr. T to call. I'll try to call him in just a bit, but I'm not expecting much success. He must be really busy. It's calving season...

I'll also have to try calling Rachel to see if she can make it to our farm today. I really, REALLY want to know how things go for her. I can't be home until 5 tonight... So I will most likely miss her visit (if she comes today). Sorta hoping for a Saturday visit...

Ooh, when my daughter and I go to horse expos we always check out the LQ trailers and drool over them. There are some really, really nice ones. Wow. But I'm with all of you - no justification for me. For people who are on the road a lot competing their horses I completely understand, though. I would also love to have one for horse camping. So nice to have LQ to stay in while at some of the amazing national parks!

KrazyTB - Rex looks handsome tacked up! Dang. All that AND a good mind?!? You must be so thrilled to have him [Jump] Too bad about the 'incident' with the halter, but at least you're feeling better!

shiloh - Have fun trailer shopping! Maybe that nearly new 3h slant would be perfect. The cool thing about trailers is that they seem to hold value pretty well over time. I've bought and sold a couple of them and have made money every time! I always go for the ones that are just old enough to be affordable, but still completely sound.

3Day - Have a great lesson! Are you going to post some of the video?

Sylves - I heard about Steffen's ride too. 77.915%!!!! Here's the story.

So Echo's leg is doing great. It's all healed aside from a little bit of the deeper areas, and the swelling is completely gone. I turned her out this morning in the same pen she fell in when she got hurt, and held my breath while she played around, but she was fine, 100% sound and great. I'll ride tomorrow. Yay!

The vet called and left a message about Hemi while I was out with Echo, and the office girl had given misleading info yesterday. Their in-house bloodwork didn't show any heartworm microfiliae (sp, sorry) but the new lab results aren't back yet so it's not really decisive. My vet's still not in today but she left a number if I wanted to call her directly, but said she thought everything was fine until Tuesday when she's back and not to worry. From her message I don't think she's convinced he's clear yet, at least until the new lab tests are back, but I'm just not going to worry anymore until I actually have clear results. What a lame ordeal. Hopefully my dog's just fine (he's laying next to me all sweet and adorable as I type this). Sigh...

TGIF everybody!!! [smiley Wavey]

Edited by e.s.dressage

I've had straight loads and slant loads. I prefer the slant loads for Beau. He might go in a straight load, but he would never back out of one. With a slant load, it is so nice and wide and big and roomy, that even as big as Beau is, he has room to turn around and walk out looking where he is going, rather than freaking out on having to back out. Especially on a ramp. Sylves, not all slant loads are narrow. My trailer is 7' tall inside and 7' wide. Beau is 16.2 and quite a huge horse. He has lots of room in my slant load. And the center dividers are removeable if you need to pull them out for any reason. My old trailer was 6'8" wide and 7' tall inside and he still had plenty of room, but the center dividers didn't come out in that one. Beau is a good juge of that since he is extremely claustrophobic!! Poor guy, he needs a lot of room or he gets really wigged out. You can custom order trailers even wider than 7'. You can go up to 8' wide! Plus I like the fact that I can put the drop down windows up or down, depending on the weather. When they are down they have bars on the windows so he can't stick his head out, but still gets plenty of ventilation. The other side is slats and has removeable plexi glass, so you can open it up in summer and close it up in winter. Both rear doors have sliding windows and so do the drop downs, so if the drop downs are up, they can have the window slid open or shut. It also has two roof vents inside, so lots of ventilation. Mine does not have a rear tack either. I did not want that. Takes up to much room. I have a saddle tree in the dressing room and there is plenty of room in there for all my tack and stuff and I still have room to change clothes in it. It is really a super cool trailer. Plus I really like the aluminum over the steele. This is my first aluminum trailer and it is so much lighter and better on gas mileage.

On rear facing trailers. They are actually slant loads and have a door on the side with a ramp. The horse loads in from the side and then faces to the rear at a slant. When you unload them, you open the back doors and they walk right out. They are a really nice!

We love to cruise thru all the trailers at big shows and such. They are so nice and fun to look at all the different options you can get on them. I still like mine better though, simply because it is paid for!!! Otherwise a new LQ would be sweet, but I don't want that big honkin payment!!!

KTBM, your youngster looks really cute saddled up. I am at work and the video won't play right now. I'll have to look at it at home.

Man it is really raining today. Has been all day long. Lots of rain and thunder and lightning. I bet the workshop tomorrow has to be canceled. The arena is an outdoor and would have to be a lake. They really ought to move it over to my trainers indoor. But we're not complaining, this rain is so awesome.

Edited by Boocoo

Just had an awesome lesson on Beckham...he never ceases to amaze me. He was just this little PMU foal and now he is this big guy that even does some things better then Shelby already. We did a lot of canter work and 10 meter circle work...inside leg to outside rein. I wasn't supporting him with my outside rein enough before. He now really bends well off my leg and maintains inside flexion with a loose rein. Have to walk the dogs and head back to ride Shelby. It is so nice here today that DH took off work early to go shooting:-)

KTM-Love the pics and video!! He looks so good. Beckham never reacted to any tack or anything when I broke him. I snuck and sat on him by myself before anyone helped me and he was fine. I think Rex is going to be very easy for you:-)

Boocoo-Keep your rain!!!! HAahahaha! Just starting to dry out here. Oh, and to second that, yes, there are some big slant loads...my trainer has a 2 horse slant load that Shelby and Beckham fit in together with plenty of room and they are both over 16 hands and 1400 lbs:-) So, yup, they are out there. I loved our 4 horse slant...but I also love the 2 horse straight load that we downsized too. It has mangers so each horse still gets a drop down door and I have those screen things on them. Shelby and Winston will self load and unload in anything...Beckham needs a ramp, hahahaha.

ES-Hmmm, that is strange about the blood work...I know that a lot of places can check for heartworm in a matter of minutes...can't they just have you come in and take another sample? (Not trying to be a pain in the butt...but I own a room at the vet clinic with all the crap I have been through, so I really feel your pain!)

Sylves-Any word from the chiro? Have you tried putting him on the lunge again and watching him go?

Shiloh-Congrats...I hope you get a a new trailer; that is awesome!!!

Well, dogs are going crazy because of some stupid dog outside, so I better get moving...and will take camera to barn!!!

ES-Hmmm, that is strange about the blood work...I know that a lot of places can check for heartworm in a matter of minutes...can't they just have you come in and take another sample?

No, because here in AZ it's so rare that they don't have the solution or whatever they use to do that in-house at the vet's office (she said it would expire before they even used enough of it to make it worth stocking), which is why whatever they did do in-house (a snap test I think it was called?) that came up negative wasn't decisive enough after the blood panel positive, and we're waiting on the lab for the second test. The office girl was saying she hasn't even seen a single case in her time at the office yet. It does seem long and drawn out though, I agree. It's not like they're charging a lot for all of this, so I don't think it's an issue of them bs-ing. But it is lame.

The rear-facing is actually either a slant or straight, but the horses face backwards. Its supposed to be better for them because they can balance more easily when the trailer slows or turns. The weight goes onto their haunches instead of onto their forehand, so they don't faceplant. I have noticed that given the option, Lucy will always ride backwards. The only thing is, you have to have them custom made, so you just doubled your price.

I did email about a trailer for $600 (I know) just to ask. I mean, a friend of mine just bought a 4h LQ for $2500. This is an older trailer, but has new tires, floor, and brakes. Supposedly it just needs a bit of welding on the frame, which my fiance's dad can do, and to be pressure washed and repainted. Its a Kiefer 2h straight, no mangers, 7' inside height. We *might* go look at it and see if its worth doing the work on, and then buy something new when there is no more truck payment.

Hum, $600 is totally do-able, Shiloh! Thanks for explaining the rear load; I guess I've never heard of it! I noticed some trailers with ramps on the side, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why. I guess I know why now! All of the trailers on display around here seem to be designed for little QH's. The stalls are tiny and claustrophobic!

ESD, This is fabulous news about Hemi.

Beck, I haven't put Jag on the lunge since Wednesday morning, but I did put him in a smaller yard (a square pen that's the size of a large round pen) and he cantered and trotted circles around me. I sense some discomfort in the center of his back. It's almost like his hind end is somehow being disconnected from the front end with tension right in the middle. It's tension that I see. He naturally took both leads, which was promising.

The chiro is apparently working in Ohio right now (Rachel M. Smith DC). She has clients in Penn, Minn, SD, Iowa, Illinois, Maryland, VA, etc. I left another message on her voicemail. I suppose she didn't have time to drop by this week.

No word from Dr. T... I was running around all day today. The day just sorta flew by, and I got a lot of things accomplished (Shannon's Dr. appointment, drug store run, groceries, grilling the steak, making dinner, cleaning up, work, etc, but I didn't succeed in getting through to my vet... Yeah, Jag was in dire need of veterinary care, you better believe we'd borrow the family pickup and load Jag up and head to Sioux Falls or Sioux City. I'm not too keen on this long wait, but I was sorta anticipating it. I'm tired.

CSA, that show is coming up! Are you getting excited?

Okay, gotta go!

Yeah, $600 isn't bad at all! I get the impression she hasn't had many people contact her about said trailer because she mentioned fixing it herself and possibly re-listing it. The only thing holding me back thus far is that she cannot get pictures. The ad said to email for pictures, but she said her camera isn't working. It's about 2 hours away. If it were around the corner, it would be worth a quick look. Two hours and no pics... I will see what she says on the next email.

Sylves, that sucks that your vet can't come out to look at your horse! Is there another vet in the area you can call? We have 3 here so I can always find SOMEONE to come out if need be.

I am going to have to call the vet on Monday to come out for my poor little Arab boy. He's had bug issues since I bought him, so when I noticed him being even slightly itchy the other day I put his flysheet on him. Now today he has rubbed little hairless spots on his cheeks. I had hoped we could make it thru this summer with no hair loss, but it looks like I am finally going to give in and see about putting him on dex. The weekly baths, daily flyspray with two kinds of spray, sheets, flymasks, standing wraps when his legs get irritated, coating him in vaseline, oral bendaryl, topical hydrocortizone... It's time for dex before the poor boy starts to hate me for messing with him too much.

Ah well, the only rear facing trailers I have ever seen are slant loads. You load them on the side, walk them to the back of the trailer, their head is pointed to the back of the trailer and their rear to the front on the off side. Same as front facing trailer, only difference is their head is facing to the rear instead of to the front. My trainers have a huge LQ that has 4 straight load stalls in it, 2 at the back and 2 at the front. You can load from the side or rear, but it is designed for all horses to ride facing the front. I guess you could load them from the side and walk them to the back stalls so they are facing backwards, but there are no tie hooks or hay bag hooks on the back of the stalls, same with the front stalls. I guess Beau could ride in a straight load like that, cause he could come in the back door, be in the stall and go out the side door. Only thing is he would totally freak out on the ramps. Silly boy!

Yep Beckham, their are some huge slant loads. You can get slant loads with mangers in them also! Mine has those feed bags and I hang a hay bag above it and set the bottom of the hay bag inside the feed bag. That way the hay that is dropped, drops in the feed bag and the horse will still be able to eat it, rather than it dropping on the floor. My husband used to manage a trailer dealership and then we sold trailers ourselves for quite a few years. So we learned a lot about trailers!!

Yes, we want to keep the rain. We have been in a drought so long we don't have any hay. I can only get hay at the feedstore and that is trucked in from New Mexico, so it is very expensive. I can't even get my awesome round bales right now. There are none. My trainers made round bales in 07 when we had all that rain and they are down to 3 left! They don't have enough grass yet to make anymore. I bet the will in another few weeks though. I think this year is going to be much better and we seem to be coming out of our drought!!!

Yall haven't seen the rear-facing trailers because they are only a custom order here. They sell more of them in the UK and NZ. I've never seen one either, I just know my mare much prefers to ride backwards. Though she did load into my old BO's 1997 WW 2h straight with mangers. Didn't even look twice. Baby has really slowed her down.

Boocoo, we seem to be getting rain earlier this year too. Hopefully we can come out of our drought. Tampa just banned sprinklers for lawns, and that includes everyone not on a well, even businesses and gov't buildings. If we do get decent rain, my grass gets knee-high. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. Watering sand to keep the dust down is getting really old really fast.