Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

I've seen rear facing slant load trailers here in the states. A lot of barrel racers have them. One of the BNT's we used to clinic with had one and she swore by them and would tell everyone that's what they ought to have. Course most people can't afford a trailer like that without mortgaging the house!! I saw one just last week going down the highway. In fact I passed it so I could show my son. I said look, see how the horses are facing backwards in that trailer? They are a custom order though. But 4Star makes one that has two straight load stalls in the back and two in the front. If you ordered one, you could just have them reverse the tie hooks and such, so the horses could race the rear. They would have to back in the front stalls since they load in the middle and just walk straight in for the back stalls. That's the trailer my trainer has. It sounds like what you want Shiloh. Just reverse the tie hooks.

Hope you start getting some rain too! We sure need the grass to grow and the water table to come up!!!

Edited by Boocoo

Oh I knew you knew what I was talking about Boocoo.

Its more complicated than just reversing tie hooks on a 2h though. With a big 4h gooseneck that would probably work fine, but with a 2h BP, it will put too much weight on the tongue of the trailer. Flipping the horses moves the weight toward the front, and the whole balance of the trailer as it is designed will be off. You have to move the axels to account for the weight shift. And with a new trailer, that's obviously going to void your warranty :)

Any more lovely rides on Beau? I had a pretty decent ride on miss Lucy today, though I got super thirsty so I cut it very short. She's still nice and soft and responsive, she was just having issues with the downward transitions. I think having an arena instead of a lumpy pasture will help.

With Beau, how have you retrained him to listen to your seat aids for a downward transition. I ride a nicely trained horse or even a greenie, and when you stop riding they at least contemplate stopping as well. Lucy just doesn't get it. Half-halts don't work to really ask for a downward (though I can use them to rebalance). Its the one thing I really have had trouble getting her to understand that is going to hold me back from doing much with her. I can get thru a first level test just fine how she is, and probably struggle my way thru second, but I hate having to use my reins every time I want a downward transition. It makes me feel like a beginner!

We're at the show, drama already ensuing. The footing is way deep, it went from 50 to 70 in a day as the high. I'm stuck in the boonies barn (I paid a 125 for this?!), but not without good company.

Just hoping for solid clean rides today, without any drama.

Tempi, Just keep cool and professional. Do it for the sake of your future clients. I would never want a person working for me that gets grumpy easily, horse related or not. Just keep your focus on scoring high, and when it's all done with, don't return to that show. Maybe write a letter to the TD explaining how you were disappointed with the stabling arrangements and the unacceptable footing. For right now, it's all about making the best of what you have and strutting your stuff!

Shiloh, I have the same difficulty with Jag; it is very difficult to get him to do a down transition with just solely my seat and leg. I know that it's the ultimate goal, but for now, it definitely takes us about 10 steps/strides before he follows through with the seat/leg aids. I too often want to resort to the hand, but I really try to resist; I REALLY do!

I would like to "play" with Jaggar some today. The temps are nice (60's), there's no rain and... well, I'm just missing the time I spend with Jaggar. This brings me back to the time when Dee used to get sick or lame, and we'd have to take long breaks from riding... I'm not handling it as well this time around; I am just so driven to ride so that I can get my skills back and so that Jag continues to develop his topline! On another note, I'm going to try getting through Dr. T and the chiro this morning... <sigh>

Edited by Sylves

Happy Birthday!

Yall can have the rain! I am SO sick of it. I havent ridden my horse in over 2 weeks because as soon as the ground dries up, it POURS again. Not rains - POURS. Talking about standing water up to your calves. It sucks. The only thing growing is weeds because the grass is getting choked out.

Farrier finally came yesterday. Layla lost her other front shoe. I decided to put her back in the NB shoes up front as I just liked how her feet did in them. Baby horse was perfect. I was so proud. And his feet already look tons better after just one trim. He has a big of flaring on the hinds but its already getting under control.

Might try to ride today. My whole right side is SO sore. I dunno... we will see.

Gunna go eat some left over BBQ for lunch. Have a good day!

Shiloh, your right, I was referring to a gooseneck, not a bumper pull. And I didn't mean move reverse the tie hooks yourself. I meant custom order the trailer that way. That way they will build it according to weight specs, axle placement, etc... But I did mean a gooseneck, not a bp. Did you know that I drove 18 wheelers cross country and local 18 wheeler dump trucks for 15 years? So yeah, I am very familiar with the weight, bridge laws, axle weight and placement, etc.... On an 18 wheeler trailer the axles actually slide so you can re-distribute the weight. So if you cross the scales and they tell you your overweight, you can usually slide the axle accordingly and voila' your not overweight anymore! I remember trucking from Indiana to California one time with a load. I was legal across every single scale in every single state, including Banning in Cal. one of the worst scales in the country. I got up to Bakersfield and it was 3 in the a.m. I was exhausted and the scales would not let me go till I moved my axles, saying I was overweight. I showed him all my weigh tickets from all the other scales, he said they are wrong your overweight. Well the axles wouldn't move, they were stuck, so I took a nap in the sleeper in the scales parking lot till some other truckers came along and helped me move the darn axles. By this time that guy had gone home and a new guy was there and he said I was fine anyway!!! [bang Head] That did it for me for cross country. After that load I went home to Tucson and went back to driving local 18 wheeler dump trucks. End dumps and belly dumps. Did that for a long time till I met my dh, and he helped me to quit, go back to school and get out of those darned trucks! We got married in the middle of all that as well. I did drive a school bus for 6 years as well. I didn't mind that job at all! Kind of fun actually.

I have not been on Beau since Wed. Don't know when I will get to ride again. We had a boatload of rain yesterday and more this a.m. My pond is completely full and we had flash flood warnings all morning. I bet we got 4" of rain. All the workshops and clinics are canceled this weekend. But we need the rain so bad I"m not complaining. Will be sunny the rest of the week so I am hoping the arena is dried out enough to drag it by Mon. and ride again on Tues.

With downward transitions with Beau, he is very responsive to my seat, because when I first got him I trained him to run barrels. One of the first things I taught him is when I sit down in the saddle you stop!!! So when I started dressage, we could get downward transitions very easily, almost to much, cause he would stop completely. We had to teach him to just transition from trot to walk and keep a nice steady forward walk going, same with canter to trot. I think that's why he probably picked up walk to canter very easy also, as I did that all the time when I rode western. As for canter to walk, that is a bit tougher and I have had to use my reins a tad on that one. He feels my seat bone and core tighten and he knows when my hands go down to transition, as soon as he does I soften my hands. I have had to sit deep and think halt to get him to go from canter to walk. But after about 3x's doing that he would do it without my hands so much. But I only got to do work on it once so far. Seems like we go 1 step forward and 3 steps back. This rain is great, but I can't ride him now for several days. When I was first teaching him to canter across the diagnol and trot at X, he would blow through my aids and stay cantering or do a very rushed out of balance trot. So I would canter to X and completely halt, back him up a couple steps, then proceed at a trot. Didn't take to many times before he realized I just wanted him to trot on nicely forward. Kind of like teaching a horse to rate a barrel. It works!! :happy0203:

Well I trailered over to my girlfriends and rode. I havent been on Layla in over 2 weeks. She was so amazing. We rode around the dirt arena and the sports field (this is at my girlfriends who lives in the equestrian neighborhood with all the arenas).

She started out with this just amazing walk, taking my hand, not twisting, very relaxed. Worked into a wonderful trot and I was able to really wrap my legs around her and "lift" her back up and omg... the trot was effortless. The canter was really nice too. It was a little hard for me on the right lead b/c my right hip is so sore but she was very very good. It was just a GREAT ride.

Then we took a cool down trail ride through the neighborhood and she had this flowing, back swinging walk - ugh. She was just perfect today. I am a little sore but right now I am doing ok. Im sure tonight and tomorrow I will feel it but Im going to try to ride tomorrow too.

Just watched Steffen's ride online. OMG. What a wonderful test!

Boocoo, I didn't know you drove 18 wheelers. That's a hard job! I did some work with trucking companies back before my accident. Not a job I would want. Plus I cannot back up a little Saturn :)

How did you teach Beau to stop strictly from your seat? Lucy has been so ingrained to just ride thru any stiffness in the seat, that she truly has no clue that I want her to transition when I stop riding. I did work on nothing other than walk-halt and trot-walk transitions today (in the double, she is lighter in it so I can touch the reins much less). She did much better than she normally does. I've always been able to do down one gait ok, but now that I am trying to work on a bit more, she is just confused. Given how good she has been otherwise, I am a bit afraid to do too much to rock the boat with her.

I rode my Arab today too, and he is REALLY starting to pick up this whole idea of moving into the bit. This is only his third ride where I have asked anything like that of him, so I am very pleased with it. He gets it for a few strides and then he loses it again, but he is just a baby. He is not naturally very forward at the walk or trot either, so that is something we have to work on. His canter is marvelous though. He much prefers to just canter anywhere he needs to go.

It looks like we are going to look at a trailer in a week and a half, if the woman has not sold it by then. I don't think she has had many inquiries about it. We just cannot make it up there sooner. I am excited!!

KTBM, send me some of your rain. I'm getting sick of feeding hay. It makes my allergies act up.

I am beat to death, but in a good happy way. The only time I wasn't sitting in a saddle or in the car from 7:30am to 7pm was the 30 minutes I spent arguing with Windstream internet.

Trotted the R-man undersaddle today for the first time, and he was so happy! Makes me smile.

Amore started tough, but then had some drool-worthy collected trot.

Rode my friend's mom's fat out of shape 20+ year old Hanoverian that she wants to take to C. Sydnor week some camp in three weeks! I think he'll drop dead of a heart attack, and I've been very blunt about his weight. He was sweatier than Frasier was, who is my biggest sweater, and I rode Frasier 3 times as long today!

Had a lesson on Little F, who my trainer now calls "That Damned Gifted Child." She wants to take away half of his talent, so he actually needs to work. lol. He can get by so half-arsed on just his brilliance alone, its hard to tell he's faking some of it until you ask him to do harder stuff, and he's all, "I dun wannnna."

But anyway, lovely counter canter today out of him, and some pretty obvious haunches in leg yield at the trot, which he couldn't (or wouldn't) do earlier this week. Bugger. :D

[quote name='shiloh04' date='Apr 18 2009, 03:46 PM' post='3513496'

What show are you at Tempi?

Meadow Lake Spring Classic I and II.

Apparently enough people complained- they tried to reconfigure the arena (during lunch) and move it out of the ultra deep corner. It was becoming a safety hazard. We went for consistency and was rewarded under a hard judge with a good, fair score.

One more ride tomorrow, same arena, see if the footing is a little faster.

Tempi- I figured thats where you were. Stabling is very expensive, and they tend to be a bit disorganized. When I was there the footing was very nice, but there have also been a lot of changes there since then. Farm was sold and name changed, the person who really knew what he was doing moved to his own place because he and the new owner didn't see eye to eye. I think the new owner is really not a horse person either, just likes the idea of owning horses.

It is a beautiful farm though. Just in the middle of nowhere!

Happy Birthday Sylves!!

Fabulous lesson yesterday w/ Mr. Trainer. Worked on a ton of canter work and had some brilliant work out of him! Was able to get some poor quality video but footage none the less! Woot! My friend's video cam died...and my camera (for pics.) isn't the best to take footage. hehe.

ScotchHasslers005.jpg

Edited by 3DayEventer

Krazy, kudos to Layla. I know you felt good getting back in the saddle. I am starting to get anxious, but I know it will be at least Mon. if not Tues. I can't get in the arena to drag it until then. I agree, Steffen Peter's GP ride was amazingly beautiful. I thought he should have won the Gold at the Olympics last summer that horse is truly talented and Steffen knows just how to ride him. Truly awesome.

3day, great picture of Scotch. He is so photogenic.

Shiloh, I bet you can back up a Saturn!! :happy0203: I used to do a little side business when we lived in Cal. I would teach women how to hook up, un hook, and pull their trailer safely. I would teach them first without a horse, and then with their horse. I also taught them how to back it up. Most of them had no husband or boyfriend to help, or if they did, they were intimidated and the dh or bf made them feel stupid. So I would teach them. It was fun actually.

As for getting Beau to stop by my seat, first of all he is very sensitive. And believe it or not, although he doesn't prove it all the time, he is quite smart. And of course I was riding western. So I had a bit with a curb chain. Granted I always used very mild bits and a fairly loose curb chain, but nevertheless, they were there. I would do a stop like a reining stop. So a lot different than dressage. I would lope across the arena at a pretty good clip, sit down deep in the saddle and say "Whoa" and of course with one hand I am pulling back on the reins, with a gag snaffle and a curb chain, he would tuck his butt under him and slide stop with the lightest of pressure. When I ran barrels on him I could come flying out of the arena and sit down and say "whoa" barely touch the reins and he would stop. So by the time I switched him over to dressage, he was used to stopping by my seat sitting deep. I had to learn to not sit so deep and just barely tighten my core and seat bones so he would transition, stay round and keep moving forward. [ROTFL] I don't know if that would work for you and Lucy or not, if you even want to ride her like that, since you are doing dressage, not reining on her. Some things with this dressage stuff are really easy for Beau, from his western training and some are not. Haunches In was and can still be a challenge, but once he gets, man he gets it!

"

Tempi- I figured thats where you were. Stabling is very expensive, and they tend to be a bit disorganized. When I was there the footing was very nice, but there have also been a lot of changes there since then. Farm was sold and name changed, the person who really knew what he was doing moved to his own place because he and the new owner didn't see eye to eye. I think the new owner is really not a horse person either, just likes the idea of owning horses.

It is a beautiful farm though. Just in the middle of nowhere!

I realise the history of the farm and who the current occupants are and what they are doing to it. I also realise whom you talk of, and he says hello. He was there today.

The stabling was about 10 bucks more expensive than the KHP during the CDI*. But for the amenity provided, I think I'd rather just trailer in next time. The only reason why I came to stable (I do normally trailer in) I was rear-ended by an idiot woman a few weeks ago, I've been working out the insurance ever since. Plus I was traveling with a group.

They dumped sand on it last minute, and it was twice what they needed. Even the large horses were getting bogged down. The indoor is still decent. But it was like swimming in quicksand.

Tempi, you ought to like showing for Gen. Burton if you haven't shown for him before. He is a good and fair judge.

Tempi, you ought to like showing for Gen. Burton if you haven't shown for him before. He is a good and fair judge.

I like the General. He's a good guy with an incredible sense of humor. I showed under Debbie R today, she scored fair for what she saw, it's unfortunate that I didn't show more angle in the haunches in, but I was more worried about keeping her balanced and give the appearance of collection without going into a sinkhole.

Hmm, not too sure if that will work with miss Lucy. I've always wanted to do some reining, but I've just never had the opportunity, plus western saddles make me hurt!

She's such a difficult horse to ride. Always has been. She's obviously had a lot of bad riding over the years, but I guess that tends to happen with a strong hot horse when they get into the hands of people who don't want to or don't have the opportunity to learn.

And no, I can't back up a Saturn too well. I don't even drive anymore. Haven't in a couple years.

So I am late with Sylves B-day wish! Sorry! I was at a Fleetwood Mac concert and just got home.

General is a great judge and I always do well under him.

More in the morning...I need Boocoo to come teach me to drive the trailer.

Well Tempi, then you will get to show for Gen. Burton tomorrow, eh? Good deal.

Shiloh, you are so right when you say that horses that have had bad experiences in the wrong hands are so hard to bring back. I deal with a lot of weird issues with Beau from his race track days. But Lucy is lucky to have you. You don't have to try that with a western saddle, just try it with your dressage saddle. It might work?

Beckham, I love Fleetwood Mac. When do you want me to come teach you to pull your trailer? :happy0203:

How about Steffen Peters WINS THE WORLD CUP!!!!!!!!!!! I am so stoked for him. I watched both his rides on the computer and he and Ravel are amazing!!! Go Steffen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Boocoo

Well Tempi, then you will get to show for Gen. Burton tomorrow, eh? Good deal.

It is, especially since if I score above 60 I don't have to show until August- until National Dressage Pony Cup.

The plan is to complete out third level, stop showing for a year, school up to PSG and debut late 2011 in PSG.

I'm hearing that the chevys have the same engine, transmission, and brakes in the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton trucks. So we'll see what I end up with. If I end up with anything, of course...

The interview on Friday went well. I was there almost three hours. It's promising. Hopefully I'll have a job offer before too much longer! I'm getting to ride my trainer's clydesdale once in awhile. She's grounded for awhile until she gets past the first trimester. :)

I had a couple nice rides last week, then a dreadful one yesterday. We couldn't get any softness or give. Fessor kept telling me that he could NOT flex at the poll and go forward and have bit contact. I'm hoping we can forget that one. I wasn't smart enough to get what I wanted by changing things up and making the pony think, so we spent way too much time arguing and getting annoyed with each other. :( Maybe a bit of xanex today will help lengthen the fuse a bit.

Have a good rest of the weekend!

Tracy

I wonder if you can show reining in a dressage saddle too Boocoo :)

I might try it with Lucy. Today we are going to walk down the road to a big open field for a mini trail ride, but maybe this week. With just the pasture to ride in, I try to build up her fitness more slowly, so less time to work on everything I want to work on.

Just popping in quickly...

The ponys spent their first night all together in the pasture. So far, no broken bones or large injuries! Right now they are in a little herd eating grass in the far corner. Its so cute!

Why not do reining in a dressage saddle, eh? :happy0203:

Tempi, hope you had a good show today.

Tracy, hope the job offer comes in soon.

Great day here today. The sun is shining and no rain in the forecast all week. I think we had enough to last us a little while. My arena is still to wet to drag though, hopefully tomorrow so I can ride him tomorrow. I was able to turn him out though. My paddocks are sand, so doesn't turn into that nasty black gump that balls up in their feet. I let him go down in the bottom pasture for a while and graze till he started getting goofy and running like a darn race horse, up and down his pasture and it is very long. Had to go get him, he ran all the way up to his barn, stops, spins, shakes and thinks he's cool. The problem is he overreaches and pulls shoes off, or kicks his other legs and cuts himself up. He does have bell boots on, but they don't always work and as wet as it is out there, I don't want him pulling a shoe. So he had to go back in his small paddock! He looks great though, shedding out all that winter hair.

Boocoo, I know you mentioned having family near Lakeland. Do they still live here?

I was going to ride today and it was beautiful, but I have had a killer headache for a couple days. I finally got tired enough of it that I took a Darvocet. Apparently now they make me dizzy. So I spent all day in bed. Oh well, I guess I can just ride tomorrow!