Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

I found an interesting ad on craigslist... A renovated, 3 BR farmhouse for rent about fifteen miles from where I HOPE I'll be working after graduation. What are the odds that it is affordable and has horse suitable fencing? Wouldn't it be cool to rent a place for both me AND Fessor? Caring for one horse (or one + a companion of some sort) wouldn't be too much work. I could find a relatively flat area and set up an improvised dressage arena. I already have homemade markers (orange home depot buckets and navy blue stenciled letters) and a 60m measuring tape.

Tracy

The thing with Lucy is that she really has an amazing work ethic when she is ridden fairly. I used to think she didn't, but I just didn't ride her with enough tact and understanding. She really does try hard these days. Its just that I don't know if the two years off, plus a baby, has set her back so far that I won't be able to get anywhere with her again. She's 17, and she's already having some arthritis in one hind pastern (due to kicking down a board that cut the heck out of that pastern). I don't want to end up breaking her down. She's only on MSM now, and I would like to keep it that way.

Maybe I could just keep her really solid at first, and get the first two scores for my bronze on her. I think she could handle first just fine without having to be shod. Its past that, when she needs to start carrying more with her hind end, that shoes are going to help her. Getting the breakover back will free up her front end, and adding the extra height to the front hooves does help her take more weight onto her haunches.

Tracy, go check the house out. Sounds cool. If no fence, ask them if you can put up fence and a

run in shelter for your horse. Neither one of those is that expensive. As long as he has 3 sided and the closed in side faces the north, you will be fine.

Shiloh, I know what you mean. I wonder how far I'll go with Beau with his mental state also. I have my first level scores towards my bronze and hope to be able to finish it on Beau. He seems to be handling some 2nd level right now, but that's at home. It's at shows where he gets a little nervous. I could show him at the local venue I'm going to in a couple of weeks and he'd probably be fine. I am hoping that next year I can get my next prospect. I have a few in mind that are nicely bred, well put together and affordable. Plus not more than 3 hours from my house to go check out. We'll see how it goes next year.

How old is Beau?

I have my next prospect, and the one after that. I am just waiting for them to grow up. I'm hoping to show intro or training on my Arab this winter, depending on how he is doing then. He is just now 3, so he's had very little done with him other than just sitting on him. He still doesn't steer. And of course Annie is only 1, so I have 2 more years before I even start her.

I would keep riding her in the boots, but they are SO inconvenient for daily use.

I am so far behind...it has been a tough day. I lost my old house cat this evening. I had her for 12 years and I miss her terribly already. That said, today was also Beckham's 6th b-day and I had made a carrot cake for him and we did have some time this evening too enjoy some cake; after a short ride to clear my head. Here are a few pics.

http://gallery.guilfoos.com/v/Beckham/Birthday/

Catching up...

Boocoo-Beckham is/was bought to be my Winston replacement and I would like another young one some day to raise again. I had never ridden dressage when I bought him and he has exceeded what he was supposed to do! He is a horse that is fun to ride 100% of the time and is up for anything. He is also the same at shows as he is at home...which is refreshing after Shelby. I am toying with selling her right now as she excels in hard work and my backyard situation doesn't do much for her brain. She is talented, beautiful, sound, energetic...all the good things, but our brains don't seem to mesh well. It stinks, but with school I don't have time to keep Beckham going in addition to a horse that needs worked a lot everyday. I am hoping at some point the right home comes along for her; until then she is happy hanging out with her boys!

Sylves-Your sun is heading our way, finally. Hoping to get the dogs on a nice long walk tomorrow and a nice ride in. Going to be way too wet for a trail ride though.

Shiloh-Winston was about the same age as your mare when he showed he was no longer able to keep up with the work in terms of showing, so I stopped then...He is still plenty sound and still enjoys dressage work at home, as well as running like a maniac in the field:-)

Tracy-That is awesome about the farm... you should check it out!!

Okay, I am wiped out...off to bed.

Shiloh, Beau is 13. I bought him the end of his 5 year old year. I owned 4 other horses at that time! [shocked] I was not doing dressage. I bought Beau for a barrel prospect and took 14 months to train him. I hauled him and rode him at other arenas and I did a lot of trail riding on him before I ever started barrel racing with him. After a year and a half of barrel racing I stopped. He couldn't do it physically anymore. It made him to sore in his loins because he is too big. He is 16.2. So I started dressage. He was fine with dressage until his feet were butchered. He has always been sensitive and hot, but he was fine at shows, maybe a bit nervous, but now his feet make him think he is going to hurt. He does end up settling down and we are all right. It's a shame because he does have the talent physically to go all the way to GP, but mentally he will never make it. So I am hoping to get my bronze on him and have that by the end of 2010 or 2011. Then I will just take lessons and do clinics with him, no more shows. He isn't going to get any better at his age and he has hauled all over the country and raced, barrel raced and done dressage. It's just how he is. I will not ever sell him though. Within the next year or so, my dh and I have set our minds on getting a weanling, yearling or two year old and then raise him and start him in dressage. In the mean time I will have Beau to finish my bronze on.

Beckham, sorry to hear about your cat!!! [Huggy] The cake you made for Beckham is too cool. Is that your barn? Looks very nice. I know you are frustrated with Shelby and I don't blame you one bit. Hope you are able to figure out what you want to do with her. Your other horses are such good boys, it's just not fun to deal with a horse that is being silly, I do know!! :happy0203: Beau is a yahoo at times. I can keep him going and get relatively decent scores, but I am not happy for settling with what I can get, I want more. I guess I expect a lot. Beau would do better if he could loose the tension. That's what always gets us marked down.

I rode her again today, and I trimmer her toes back right before I got on. That did help quite a bit, so I will just keep checking those toes every time I ride. If they get a fraction of an inch too long she starts tripping. And by too long, I mean her toes need to be kept rolled more than most horses. If the hoof wall is touching the ground at all at the toe, they are too long for her.

We did get a couple nice C-W transitions, considering we have just started working on them. The key for right now is to only canter about 4 strides, from a walk, and then to ask for the walk again. So try that Boocoo and see if it works. For Lucy, it doesn't give her enough time to get strung out, so she can use her hind end to walk instead of trying to fall into the walk on her forehand. She is rather heavy in the front :)

I think building my arena will help my "blah" attitude. And it might also help my Arab learn to turn. He can walk on the bit, lift his back in response to my leg, and steer. But all is lost at the trot. Babies. I swear he is made of rubber!

Beckham, maybe selling Shelby would be good for you. Riding a horse you don't mesh with is really not fun. I've ridden a couple like that.

Shiloh- I had quite a bit of soundness issues with Scotch. I have this special foam-like packing which did wonders along with a pad. He's been staying quite sound up front for me. Good luck w/ whatever decision you follow. How long have you started your mare back up? It takes a lot of muscling for the C/W transistions to really be solid again. She'll get there again I'm sure.

Boocoo- Didn't know Beau is 13. Nice age!

Bekcham- so I never got to respond to the message. S told me all about the Andy! :) I'm excited for her and hope it works out! OH have another video of my lesson w/ Mr. Trainer. If you want to see it? hehe.

Scotch was EXCELLENT today. He got his teeth done yesteday so I didn't really put him in his up frame today. But had some excellent trot work especially when out hacking. Was very happy with his attitude. All packed and ready to head to ROLEX! woot! Class @ 8...head to work and out ofwork by 7pm. Home to shower and take a quick nap. Then driving to KY all night. Sounds like fun! Unforunately I have to bring school work w/ me.

ONE more week of the semester. Thank goodness!

Oh I don't have any soundness issues with her. I just don't want to push her until she does have issues. She's 17 and thus far only on MSM. The shoes would be for breakover and to give her a bit of a height boost in the front end. Her front legs are too short :)

What kind of padding do you have on Scotch? The shoes I have been considering are plastic, and the padding would be an impression material. It's a 2-part putty that you mix by hand and then pack into the back of the foot, and then it sets up. Kinda like play-doh but way more advanced. I would probably put another thin pad in there, just to get the maximum thickness for the shoe/pad combo. The whole thing would be very lightweight, just give her a bit more height.

Shes been back in work for about a year. Consistently since about October/November. Annie was her second foal.

Boocoo, have you tried a magnesium supplement for Beau? I have Lucy on 1/4 cup epsom salts every day. It does wonders for her. I tried Quiessence before that but it did nothing. The epsom salts gave me a totally different horse within about 5 days. It was amazing. I went from a horse who physically could not relax to one who decided she would not travel any other way. It didn't make her dull at all, just enabled her to physically relax. My boarder's mare is on a smaller dose and it seems to have really helped her as well.

I do understand what you mean about looky in new places though. Lucy is so darned curious and into everything that any kind of crowd totally removes her concentration from me.

3Day-I do want to see the video if you have a chance before you leave! Have fun and be safe! I am off to class too...

Greetings from Rolex!

Going to shop today (there's a Mercedes trailer I think I would sell myself for). I was out on course yesterday covering flowers, it's a huge galloping track this year four, maybe five very technical questions in there. The new footing at the park (from old Keeneland track) looks and feels great, and there are plenty of vendors.

Otherwise it's a madhouse.

Put the double on yesterday as well (finally got the bits in from England), looks really snazzy with all the metal in her mouth. Was a little confused about it, but accepted it none the less. I let her hit the curb a few times just so she gets the idea of it, but otherwise, a success.

Off to shop with limited funds. Here's to finding a decent pair of reins and a pair of full seats!

I want to be at Rolex too! I hate crowds, but for Rolex, I'll tolerate almost anything!

Mom is leaving today when I get back from work, and Shannon will have to go back to daycare tomorrow. Shannon's xrays showed no more pneumonia, thank goodness. I will miss having Mom here; she has been such wonderful help, but I also know that she needs to get back home to resume her life.

I lunged and then rode Jaggar on Tuesday; he was awful. He kicked his hind legs up and out really hard as if he was trying to "unlock" a joint. When I rode him, he hollowed out his back and stuck his head way up. I didn't push him very hard because I knew it would turn into a fight. Instead, I got a nice, somewhat relaxed trot/walk transition, and I called it a day.

When I untacked, I noticed a very distinct, wide stripe of dryness in the middle of sweat... on both sides! I wish I had taken a picture of the "dry stripe" on both sides, but the battery in my camera was dead. I know the dry spot is a sign of pinching. I had never seen such a distinct, straight "dry stripe" like that before. I did use a different half pad with my dressage saddle; I'm hoping it was just the half pad. I will do away with that pad for the next ride and see if Jag is better.

I'm waiting for the chiro to call back. I don't know whether to keep Jag's alignment as is, or have her "put things back" to where they were last month. I almost wish we hadn't done anything at all, because Jag was doing very well until the last adjustment. <sigh>

Tracy, I absolutely LOVE having my horse on our land (well, Grandma's land, which is next door to our acreage). If you do end up at an acreage, consider snow removal and mowing. The mowing is a huge commitment; with Iowa's soil, we literally could mow our 8 acres every 3-4 days! That's 4 hours each time!

Shiloh, Hang in there. See about changing things around. Can you get out for a nice dinner with the fiance or something? I hope things look up for you! [Huggy]

Beck, I hope you can find a good home for Shelby! How big is she? I'm sorry about your ol' pal. It's like losing a really good friend.

Edited by Sylves

Ahhh Hubby's "Big Boy" computer. Nothing to new. I had a good ride today. Cheese is off tomorrow for a fun/gaming show saturday. So I will probably go work Kay tomorrow. At least catch and groom her. Last time it took about an hour to catch her.

Tempi &3Day enjoy Rolex. Lots os pics for those of us who didn't get to go (please).

3Day-Can I see the video of your lesson. I may not be able to watch it until Sunday but I would like to see it.

Beckham-Looks like Beckham enjoyed his cake.

Boocoo-I hear you on the tension. Any bit of tensionand I can forget about dressage. I just try to get a walk. When Cheese is relaxed she is a blast to ride idressage on.We are getting the relaxation at home but it is the luck of the draw anywhere else. What frustrates me is that it is not like she has never seen anywhere else. We did some extensive showing a few years back. Yet she still finds trees near the ring interesting.

Shiloh- It sounds like you know exactly what your mare needs. Always a plus. I hate guessing games (like saddle fitting).I hope you do continue to work with her. Between you and Boocoo you have diven me some wonderful advice. That is because you both have what most people would consider difficult horses. Exaclty what I am dealing with. So since the two of you are ahead of Cheese and I, we get to benefit from your experiences.

Sylves-You have been quiet a bit. I hope you are getting to enjoy the weather and are out riding.

I'm still here- sorta. I've been having daily tete-a-tetes with my ISP for the last two weeks, to no avail, so I can only get on at school (during class, like now).

Riley is good, back to walking and trotting.

Amore is having a rough week. Does anyone have any experience with Regumate or implants?

Finally some spring like weather today- 70s! It was warmer the day after christmas than it was yesterday.

3day, yeah, Beau turned 13 in March. I bought him in Dec. of 2001, he was 5 years old and fresh off the track! The pads you have on Scotch sound interesting. I wonder if I should do egg bars or pads on Beau's back feet? Need to ask my shoer next time.

Shiloh, ok, so......... walk to canter, canter 4 strides, back to walk. Then how many strides of walk before canter again? Sounds like a great plan. My trainer also says to do this on a 10m circle. How do you feed the Epsom salts? Do you mix it in feed, get it wet? Do you buy just regular epsom salts at the grocery store and mix that in? I would be very interested in trying it. I do give him a daily supplement, I think it's SmartPak Ultra Calm. It works but not that great.

KTS, glad Riley is coming back. I did use Regumate on one mare once, but that turned out not to be her problem and since then I have had only geldings.

C.S.A. I need to get out and do more trail riding. I am hoping to be able to go at least once a week this summer, but won't be able to start till after June 20th when my Mom & Sister leave.

Sylves, glad Shannon is feeling better and a clean x-ray. Hope jag's dry stripe was just the pad. Could be the 1/2 pad. Beau hates 1/2 pads. He will not relax and work well when I use one. I am questioning why your chiro wants to put Jag back where he was? He is either in, or he's not. If she adjusted him, she should have adjusted him back "in" and he may have popped back out. Putting him back where he was means either she adjusted him and now he is out again, or she wants to put him back to being out? Does not make sense. My guess is he was fine and she adjusted something and now he is out, hence he is not working as good as he was before. I would have your Vet. ***** him before I would have her do anymore adjustments on him. He may benefit from some acupuncture if you can find a licensed equine acupuncturist in your area. I know it's frustrating to deal with soundness issues, believe me, I have been there and done that. But I have to say, when I would have Beau adjusted, she would have me bring him back in two weeks and check him again. He was usually always still adjusted just fine and then I would bring him back in 6 months to check him again. He didn't usually need an adjustment again. After an adjustment and acupuncture work I would take him home and give him a week off, just hand walk him daily for at least 15 min. and then start to longe him lightly about day 4 and just walk, trot, then pick up the canter by day 6 and then ride by day 7. Ride for only 15 min. and add 5 min. a day till he was back to regular work. That gave his muscles time to come back to work and everything back in adjustment. Not to much stress or work till he recovered. Now then, you said Jag kicked hard like he was trying to un-lock a joint? Could his stifle be out?

Tempi, shopping at Rolex sounds like a blast and maybe you will run into 3day, eh?

Did not ride last night. No time. Had to get my son to his Jiu Jitsu and pick up an RX for my dog. I will ride tonight.

Epsom salts- I just buy the ones from the grocery, as they are labeled for human consumption. For Lucy I do 1/4 of a cup, mixed in with her feed (she is about 1100lb). She will eat it with no issues, its the flax she hates. You can wet it, or pour a touch of oil on the grain to get it to stick, or feed it in soaked alfalfa cubes.

CSA, the epsom salts might help Cheese too.

w-c-w transitions, I did on a small circle too. Not sure of the exact size as my arena is still in the works. Probably about 15m. I just worked a lot on walk to halt, trot to halt as the warmup to get her really responsive. Then I started on the w-c-w. About 4 strides of canter, and then walk until the walk is nice again, then canter. I let her get 3 really good ones before we quit for the day.

She's getting today off.

KTS-Shelby is on Regumate now...want to come ride her for me? She would be a great project for a rider like you!

Now, THERE YOU GO! Good idea! Unfortunately you don't live anywhere near each other, otherwise that would be a really great idea!

CSA, I am enjoying the weather. Actually, my mother has been in town watching Shannon for Chad and I while we are at work. Now that Shannon is feeling better (clean xrays!), she can go back to daycare. Grandma is going back home this afternoon. At any rate, I've been really busy with Shannon and my mom. I haven't had as much "free" time to spend on the computer, which is probably best for me. I feel really guilty when I've been on the computer. At work, it's not such a big deal during my break, but when I'm home, I have chores to do and I have a toddler who needs my interaction, I feel this sense of guilt. I've been trying to limit my time on the computer and spend more time doing puzzles, playing in the sand, going for walks, reading, etc with Shannon. And then, there's my time with Jag... I just feel guilty. My daughter has to share me with my work, my computer, Jag (who will be her's one day), Chad and the house chores. I feel a tug at my heart to spend more time with Shannon...

Boocoo, I hear ya. I really wish I had a vet out here that specialized in JUST horses... The nearest equine vet is in Sioux Falls or Omaha... They won't travel to our farm. I don't know what to do, but for the mean time, I'm going to just take it easy with Jag when he disagrees with work. I'm going to definitely do away with the half pad. I don't think I'll get to work Jag tonight since Grandma is going home and Chad is assigned to plant 100 acres today. Wow, he'll be out in the fields for a long time tonight....!

I'm just usin' up time before it's time to do recess duty. Not much going on except that I went on an impulsive spending spree yesterday. Yesterday, in addition to my ebaying spree (birthday money) has me feeling very guilty. I bought a wall hanging for my living room ($60- one of those large, framed decorations with the large words- I really like it), a small plaque that reads, "Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless- Mother Teresa" for my classroom desk, a LCD 19 inch tv for our bedroom (and then when I got home to see how it would work with my Camcorder, I found out that my cord for the camcorder is probably at fault.... so the tv was an unnecessary purchase), and $110 worth of groceries. I've spent way too much money.

Oh well. We have the funds to do it this month, but by gosh, I better put a stop to my impulsiveness!

CSA and Beckham- I'm sending you the videos of the ponyboy :)

Sylves- Thanks for your lovely compliments. I'm very very thrilled w/ Scotch. I'll send you his trotwork link that I just downloaded :)

I'll make sure I take lots of pics for you at Rolex! Woot!

KTS- Regumate is wonderful! I recommend it! It is a pain in the butt. Normally helps balance a mare's cylce.

Will respond to everyone else later

Off to Rolex! :) Have a good weekend all!

Will respond to everyone after I shower.

Rode Layla again tonight. She was good. The walk work was fabulous. I mean, amazing. Shoulder and haunches in, shoulder in on a 10m circle, leg yield, half pass, etc. The trot work was nice and relaxed. It wasnt QUITE what we had on Tuesday but I could tell she was still a little tired and her RH was a little sore (arthritis and bone spavin) but she did well for me. Our walk canters were amazing and smooth, counter canter circles and changes were nice, after a little reminder to not pull in the downward our canter to trot and canter to walk were very nice as well.

I was going to ride her tomorrow at home but Michelle (NaturallyNessie) just told me she was going trail riding tomorrow so I might go do that instead. I love taking her out on the trail. Havent done that in a while. Its going to be hot but oh well.

Oh btw, any of you ladies on Yaz birth control? I started it 3 weeks ago and right now Im on my 3rd "sugar" pill (there are 4 white ones where you are supposed to be on your period) and uhh... aunt flow is no where in sight. I mean I had some spotting problems 1.5 weeks ago but it was like nothing and for like 5 days Ive felt "something" in my lower tummy that I usually feel (kind of crampy) before I start. But seriously, nothing in sight. I just dont know if that is normal because Ive been on BC before and Ive never had this happen.... Hmm.. Hope that isnt TMI.

Going to go shower....

Ok Shiloh, I am going to buy Epsom Salts this weekend. I will keep you posted.

Sylves, I understand when it's hard to find good, close to home, Vet. care. I had that problem where we lived in Cal. and that is where we were when the shoer butchered Beau's feet!!! [bang Head] You'll get it all sorted out. In the mean time, do you ever work on stretching Jag yourself? Massage his large muscles and have him do carrot stretches and stretch all his legs out before and after you ride him. It's best to handwalk him first for about 10 min. though, so you stretch him when his muscles are warm, not cold.

Krazy, maybe your going to be a Mommy? Isn't it about time anyway? We have all been waiting to become dressage board Aunties!!! :happy0203:

So Beau has been weirded out since that last show and then his colic and splitting his eye open. When this horse spooks, it's no minor thing. My trainer has been on him when he did this once and she said not just anybody could ride this horse!!! [shocked] He gets a burr up his bazoo and that's all she wrote. He has been spooking in the corner by K. There are a lot of trees there yes, but come on, it's his home arena and he's 13. Ok, I know, I'm expecting too much! So I will be trotting along and I can feel it coming on. He gathers himself, neck gets tall, ears go up and he does a 360 and I am telling you, he is lightning quick and very athletic. Boocoo, grabs grab strap, spins with him and cusses him out. Ok, I know I am not supposed to react, but geeze louise! So we go at it again and I am sorry, I start getting mad and that probably makes him worse. So tonight, I longe him in that corner both directions before I get on. I get on and the sucker does it at the walk!!!! I am gonna kill him now! No, I say to myself, you must remain calm. I had grabbed my crop instead of my whip, so what I did was get into two point, pick up a very brisk trot, reins in one hand, grab strap in the other and every time I felt him gather up to spook, I put my legs on hard, laid the crop on his shoulder and voila' he never had a chance to spin or bolt. I did that at trot both ways, then canter both ways. He is not sore, my saddle fits, his feet are as good as they get. Well the interesting thing is, he started to relax and he even stayed on the bit with the reins in one hand, so I started going all over the arena like that. I trotted up center line, leg yielded over, picked up the canter and would come back down the long side. He of course has left that corner so now it's new again and he tried to spook every time I came by, but I just kept my legs on, crop tapping his shoulder, still very forward in my position and voila' pretty soon he quit, both directions. So I finally let him walk, then we walked by that spot several times and he was relaxing, so I called it a night! He isn't even breathing hard after all that!! He was quite sweaty though and so was I! He has too much stamina, but I thought it was a good, if interesting ride. We'll see if he is better tomorrow.

Sounds like Beau is a fire ball at times. Good for you for making him work when he was thinking about being a tard.

And prego? Would totally have to be imaculate (sp) conception as hubby has been on the boat for 21 days lol. I FEEL like I am menstrating but Im just not having any of the ... stuff.... yeh..

Forgot I have a Drs appt tomorrow so no trail ride. Bummer. Oh well. Maybe I will ride with Sarah and get some video??

I know I promised to catch up to everyone but its almost midnight and Im tired... tomorrow I promise...... Night!

You know what Shantel, I don't feel worry for you. If my time of the month just vanished one month, I would be beyond excited to have a month off. That being said, I have no clue. Back when I tried to take the pill, really bad things happened. It usually involved many late nights worshipping the porcelain gods, among other things.

Is your hubby in the Navy?

Gee Boocoo-Sounds like Shelby should come stay with you for a while!! She is a pain in the *** like that. Sometimes I can't get her in one end of the arena and when she spooks, it is big too. However, when I take her somewhere, like to a show or clinic, she is a different horse and never spooks. Just crap she pulls at home when she is bored. It ticks me off though! I rode Winston last week and his 19 yr old retired butt was like that too...*sigh* Sorry to say I have tried Epsom salts, raspberry leaves, every mare supplement out there, and nothing changed her at all. (Regumate helps though.)

KTM-I get the Depo Provero shot and I haven't had an "aunt flo" in 5 years...it is awesome!

I will catch up more later. I have to let horses out, then taking the dogs to walk across the dam, then a lesson at 2pm! Hope to do a trail ride and get some baths in tomorrow!

Sounds like Beau is a fire ball at times. Good for you for making him work when he was thinking about being a tard.

And prego? Would totally have to be imaculate (sp) conception as hubby has been on the boat for 21 days lol. I FEEL like I am menstrating but Im just not having any of the ... stuff.... yeh..

Forgot I have a Drs appt tomorrow so no trail ride. Bummer. Oh well. Maybe I will ride with Sarah and get some video??

I know I promised to catch up to everyone but its almost midnight and Im tired... tomorrow I promise...... Night!

I had the same problem, only a bit differently. I never had a period until I was on the pill. I've been off for a year, and no period. Still go through the motions every month (water weight, salt/sweet cravings, bloat) but no visitor.

Subsequently, I had the pipes checked out just in case of a few issues, and I have a thyroid/hormone imbalance somewhere.

Go check yourself out.

Krazy, hubby could be gone 21 days and you could still be prego! :happy0203: A woman's cycle is about 21 to 28 days, so ya never know. When I was first pregnant with my son it was about 31 days when I realized I had not had a period!!! Course I was trying to get pregnant, so that was a good thing!

Beckham, what is Depo Provero? I need some. Yeah, Beau is less spooky at shows and clinics as well. I think a lot of that is because nowhere has all the trees and buggars and ghosts like my place does. But he doesn't do this all the time either. I think we both came to an understanging last night and I he stayed nicely on the bit when both reins were in one hand, so maybe I need to get a better connection?????

It's trying to rain today, hope it doesn't rain so hard that I can't go home and have another fun ride like last night!! I have a lesson tomorrow.

Tell me more about magnesium for tension. Fessor gets very tense in his neck and gaskins. I can try an massage for a long time, without much difference. Even massaging with linament doesn't soften the muscles much. He's gotten a bit more supple through the neck by bribing him into stretching around to touch my toe with his nose (while I'm mounted) by reaching down and offering him a treat. He's gone from telling me he couldn't stretch around that far to offering it in hopes of getting a treat. Silly boy!

We had a nice ride yesterday. The indoor has been dedicated to flatwork and dressage, so all the jumps have been removed. We have a nice big space with NO obstacles to ride around. :D We still have permission to ride in the outdoor, but will need to yield to people wanting to jump. We managed a bit of collection in both the trot and canter. I need to work on the balance of my aids -- I had a couple decent transitions and a couple transitions with no where near enough leg. Oops. So I'm needing to find the balance between seat and leg. I *think* I was using minimal or no hand, but will need the trainer to confirm that. We even managed some canter half pass! Left we had an ok attempt, right we had an actual canter half pass! Soft, balanced, straight, bent in the direction we were going, and then transition to a forward stretchy trot. :D

Then, I rode the trainers clyde. He's just getting back into work after a long winter off, and his person isn't riding for awhile. So I've picked up an extra horse to ride. For such a big horse, he has a wonderful canter! Talk about rhythm! Left lead is easier to pick up than right, but as soon as H. told me to get him to yield his ribcage I got it. Note to self -- don't worry about his shoulder, get him to give the entire ribcage. I need more time on him, I tend to tense without realizing it and he WILL fall inside if my shoulders are rotated outside. Sam is a "ride off the seat" kind of guy. So that's good for me too! Because if I try to use too much hand, he'll just ignore me. When I relax the rein and ride off my seat, he balances or gives me a downward transition. One of these days, I'll look as competent on Sam as I do on Fessor. :D

Still waiting to hear on the job. I need to call them and see how things are going! Have a good day, and a good weekend.

Tracy

Well he was gone but when he was home, aunt flow was here, so without saying it, he hasnt parked his truck in the garage in a while! And when he does park it in the garage, he still puts a cover on it!

Tempi, I know you are new to the chit chat. LOL Good for you because you missed all of the long posts about my drama! Last Xmas I was in the ER and long story short, Ive been at my Drs at least once a month since then because of ovarian cysts and we are now after VARIOUS tests and ultrasounds, trying out the BC. I personally HATE it. It makes me increibly sick, vomiting, etc but every other month, when I ovulate off of my left ovary, the pain I have is so intense, Im either at the Drs or the ER getting a shot of Torodol for the pain. The cysts arent big enough for surgery but they are SO painful that it interupts me working, life, etc. So the BC is supposed to help cysts, so I got back on it, after being off of it for like 8 years (due to it making me isck before as well). I am always SO regular. I can feel when I am ovulating and I can feel when Im going to start, etc. Im like a clock. And the fact that I now am not having a period is weird because they were always very heavy, very regular, and very painful. Im not really complaining because if the Yaz makes me not really have one, thats great, but I want to make sure that it isnt messing up mother nature ya know?

Went to the chiro and got another massage. OMG. It is insane how much your calves, hamstrings, glutes, etc can hurt! Esp from riding. If you ladies have never had a deep tissue sports massage, you should totally do it. WOW. She also worked on my knots in my shoulders and on my blades and I could barely breathe out of my right lung and then POP a rib went back into place.

Im now sitting at the Toyota place waiting for the car to get serviced. Thank God they have computers. I wasnt going to take it if I had to just sit here. But Randy told me about the computers. lol

Sarah is coming over this afternoon and I think I am going to ride again. Then give Layla Saturday off and then ride Sunday and she can have Monday and maybe Tuesday off. Maybe I can get some video today....

Beck, so sorry about losing your cat. I have so much love for my cats... they are my babies. I cannot even bare to think how it will feel when I lose them, esp Mr Boo who was my brothers cat (my brother that passed away). Hang in there. And I hope you have a good lesson. And I would totally do the shot but I know it makes you gain weight and that is the LAST thing I need!

Tracy, that house sounds great. I would def check it out. Good luck with that. Oh and about magnesium. Magnesium is the mineral needed to relax the muscles, calcium is needed to contract the muscles. If you or your horse are deficient in magnesium, you will have tense muscles. A lot of the "mare supplements" have magnesium in them for that reason. You can get pure Magnesium in Smartpaks for like... $15 or less a month I believe. I had Layla on it for about 2 years. Its 3000mg of Magnesium per dose. I have heard of feeding epsom salts but then I read something about it that was negative and I personally decided not to do it. Of course I cant remember WHAT I read but regardless, it is something to check out. Does Fessor get a lot of alfalfa?

Boo, Im sure Beau will settle down. He had a stressful time with the colic and eye accident. And then of course dealing with the baggage of his past and all, it sometimes takes a toll on them. I know Ive mentioned this before but I think you might benefit from this - check out the Hair Mineral Analysis thread on the Vet forum on UDBB. You can send in a saliva sample and Patsy can test it and see if Beau has something that in unbalanced or causing his tense moments at the shows or the bolting/spinning thing he is doing. It is only $25 so its not expensive and coming from a Nay Sayer (me), I can say I have truly seen a huge difference in Layla, Ben, and "jm"s mare, Mingo, after being on Patsys program.

shiloh, have fun at the prom! I cant wait to see pics. And hang in there with your girl. She had some time off and then had a baby. I know when I was bringing Layla back into work things were going really well and then we hit this wall for about 2 months. We took it back to basics and now we are schooling 2nd with ease.

3Day, have fun at Rolex! Be careful and enjoy yourself. And take lots of pics. And Im so glad Scotch is hanging in there and staying sound for you. I love the pic of him at your lesson.

KTS, glad to hear Riley is back on the mend. What is going on with Amore?

I probably forgot some people.. sorry. The connection on this computer isnt the best.

Hopefully only another like 20 mins....