Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Dressage Cap Chat #25

She just goes through these cycles of being very good, progressing with her training, and then BAM all **** breaks lose. I can't ride her through the episodes (like the one where she fell on me last year) I just get too frustrated but my trainer usually can. She doesn't buck or rear or bolt, or anything real dangerous, she just thrashes her head and neck violently, refuses to take contact, often refuses to go forward as well.

Well, this week we are at a loss. She's been good since about January, usually best after the day after a day off. Well, Monday was good after a Sunday off (she's had the same schedule, same saddle, same everything), and then Tuesday she was a bit tougher than she had been, and then Wednesday was a total write off. Gave her Thursday off like normal, and then today she was just as bad.

Vet came today and palpated her for cysts (nothing, not even in heat right now) and drew blood to check for anything abnormal. He gave her a Depo (the irony, you guys were talking about it for yourselves) to see if that helps, and then wait for the Regumate, since it's such a hassle, until after the bloodwork.

I tried the Epsom salt, it blistered the corners of her mouth.

Sigh. If this **** mare would ever be consistent, she'd be amazing. Last Saturday, I had a collected trot that was fit for Grand Prix.

Krazy, the cover might not be rain proof! :happy0203: Ok, I'll quit giving you a hard time!

So if calcium makes muscles contract, what type of feeds or supplements might have to much calcium in them? I think your right, Beau will settle down and with our whacky weather I have not been able to get him back on a regular schedule, which he badly needs. I have read JM's thread on UDBB. There are like over 1000 posts on it, but yeah, I think I will send in a sample. Could very well help me with Beau. He is so talented and really a stunning mover and I get so discouraged with him sometimes and think I need a fancy, expensive WB. Yeah, like I can shell out 40k for a horse!!!!!!!! And I really want Beau to be my partner for a long, long time yet. He is only 13. I'd like to go with him till he's 18 or can't go anymore. And he is a very fun horse to ride when he's on this planet with me!!!

Thank goodness it's Fri. It has not rained to hard, so I want to get out of here and go home and ride.

KTS, Did your vet discuss those implants with you? I think they are like marbles or something??? I have no experience because Layla is PERFECT and RELAXED and AMAZING when she is in heat. Id like to KEEP her in heat, so opposite problem.

Hopefully the Depo will help. Maybe her progesterone levels are out of wack? What does she eat? Are you feeding something that has soy in it? There are a lot of studies going on about soy and how some horses, esp mares, are sensitive to soy, as it has phytoestrogens in it and it throws off the hormonal balance, even in some geldings. My girlfriend was having similar issues with her mare, except she didnt even have to be in heat for her to be awful. She could easily be showing 3rd right now but to get the mares brain, well its difficult. So she took her off all soy and she has been off of it for about 3 weeks now and the mare is so much more focused and doesnt have any more of her fits, etc. I dont believe there is a test for soy sensitivety but I guess just taking her off of it if shes on it could be a trial thing. Apparently the changes from taking them off of it should occur in like 3-4 days.

Boo, I dont drink the water so Im not prego! LOL I better not be anyways. But yes, I really think you may be surprised about the anaylsis thing. JM did it at first and was telling me everything and I wanted to laugh and say she was CRAZY but I was like Uh huh yeh ok. Then after physically SEEING the difference in her mare. She went from me not even wanting to be near her to where I have NO problems getting on her now and I will w/t/c no problem. So I think you may be surprised. I know the turn around is like 6 weeks or something. For my Bday Jill INSISTED on sending my sample in. Im still waiting for the results.

Got the cars oil changed, tires balanced and rotated, and new wipers. Now Im home and about to go change to ride. Its freaking 89 degrees today! UGH IT IS SO HOT. What happened to SPRING? Not fair.

Determined to get video today.. watch me have a crappy ride. That is how it always goes. AMAZING rides when no ones there and crap when there is.... I bet you all think Im crazy when Im like Oh yeh the w/c transitions are great.. and then my videos dont show it. lol

Yeah, it is rediculously hot down here today too. I'm sitting in my living room in my sports bra and shorts with a fan pointed at me. I refuse to turn the a/c down below 73. One more Dr. appt and hopefully I can switch off these drugs that make me hot all the time.

Pretty much all I do with Lucy is basic stuff right now. I do a little bit of work on c-w, w-c, simple changes thru the trot, but really she is just doing the basics. I've given up on all lateral work for now because I have trouble visualizing a straight line with no arena, and I'm kinda tired of running into the nails on the fence insulators. It's only happened twice but it HURTS, and it tends to destroy breeches. I have all my string measured, now I just have to go dig up 14 RR ties from the front yard.

Shantel, I hear you on the sensitivity to BC. I simply cannot take it. I get cysts as well, but only on my R ovary. They aren't too horribly painful though, so I just ignore them. If you're in that much pain though, have they considered endometriosis? I had minor surgery for that about a year ago, and I feel like a completely different person now. It's amazing the difference. I had been griping about it to various doctors for 8 years before the doctor I have now finally took me seriously, and low and behold but I was right. Endometriosis.

As for the magnesium, it helps the muscle cells relax. Our soils are pretty depleted of magnesium, so many horses and people really don't get enough. And magnesium oxide, which is what is normally used in feed supplements, is not always well used by the body. Magnesium sulfate is already in a form that can be used. As with any magnesium supplement though, it can cause diarrhea. So just keep an eye on that, and if it is too much then cut the dose back some. 1/4 cup shouldn't be anywhere near too much for Beau though.

KTS that surprises me that epsom salts would blister your mare's lips. I've never heard of that before. Have you tried a different magnesium supplement? You can buy just straight magnesium oxide for pretty cheap, and I think the dose on that is about a teaspoon. It's more concentrated, it just doesn't usually work as well and horses don't like the powdery texture. You could also consider spaying her as a last resort. The soy thing that Shantel suggested is good too. Some horses just cannot tolerate it. It's not even a natural plant. I've been trying my mare off soy because she has been so touchy lately, like you touch her and she seems to want to jump out of her skin. Soy can cause that too.

No soy in her diet. I wouldn't spay her, she has just too much value as a broodmare (already has 3 Premium foals), if I decide to breed her or sell her.

We did talk about the implants, and my vet is going to look into that also.

If she is not rideable though, does she pass that on? I mean, my mare can be a PITA but she has an excellent work ethic and is a blast to ride as long as I am tactful and respectful. She's nothing like yours from the sounds of it.

Nice looking and moving foals aren't worth much if they are too inconsistent and hot to be ridden and shown.

She has a good work ethic- it's just these spells where she is definitely uncomfortable- we are nearly 100% sure it's something physical, and not something mental. Our line of thought is that maybe it's her cycles making her lower back sore. It's definitely something in the topline, as the trouble comes from the connection and throughness. She's happy as a clam, even today, if you ride her in a long and low type of a hunter frame.

She's not a mean or aggressive or psycho mare, just uncomfortable.

Shiloh wrote:

I refuse to turn the a/c down below 73.

Haha! My father is the same way.

So Eventer and Tempi are living it up, watching dressage, networking with awesome people, and probably finding the coolest riding gear on the market. I'm a little envious... <sigh>

It's Friday! Gotta go! Hoping to ride this week. It's difficult now that Chad is working in the field.

Oh, and KTM, talk about pregnancy and BC... there's only a cover on the car when I'm at 12-16 days in my cycle. Otherwise, it's all up to nature... I don't care if I get pregnant, except that Chad would make me take a 9 month break from riding... and then I'll have to have a c-section, so you know it'll be at least 2 months after the birth before I can even think about riding!

An example of her resistance:

Amore210030.jpg

She just tosses her head around. Teeth are great, no obvious signs of discomfort grooming, saddle fitter checked her out. I just had her hocks done in January. And like I said, it's not an every day or even every month thing. She had a spell last summer, a few weeks last spring. It seems to be mainly around this time of the year. Got to be hormonal right? No other signs of neuro or EPM, and they wouldn't improve either.

Her happy:

Amore210041.jpg

lexingtonva017.jpg

Edited by Kiss The Sky

My fiance and I are planning to start trying for kids once we get married. Haven't broached the subject of riding while preggers. I can't imagine taking another year off though. If that happens, I might as well just write off ever getting anywhere with my mare. Or maybe I can just send her to Boocoo to ride. At least Lucy isn't a dirty spooker :)

Has anyone built their own cavaletti? I have some extra fence posts that I want to make cavaletti out of, but I don't know exactly how long to cut the boards for the x's.

KTS, do ya'll have spring grass yet? Does it have any connection to the grass coming in? I know my mare gets a bit more full of herself when the grass starts to come in. I guess she is on a sugar high. But I also know she is IR, and her management is living in FL where our grass is pretty much just a solution for boredom. She might get a bit excited, but at least she isn't going to founder like she almost did when I had her in KY.

Living here, I also think there is more to the spring naughties than just heats though. My mare, and most others I have known, cycle all year here. But if they are prone to being naughty, it does seem to stop during the winter. By all means it could be hormones. Maybe even though our mares show heat all winter, the hormones are just not at the same level as they are during the spring. But just something I have noticed, food for thought.

Hopefully the Depo works. I do remember how much it used to suck riding Lucy before I discovered epsom salts and super-tactful but still firm riding. Its very frustrating.

Fessor has had alfalfa or alfalfa-grass mix in the past, but for the last several months he's been exclusively on grass. I'd love to have him at home and buy enough hay at a time to make having a hay analysis done feasible. But for now, I have to go by how he looks and acts to decide if I need to tweak his feeding. I may have to get some epsom salts or magnesium and offer him a little bit with some grain and see if it makes a difference.

It is so WARM here today. Late April is awfully early to have temps in the upper 80s! Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy with a high of 57. :) Hmmmm. I wonder if I can remember to take the video camera tomorrow and set it on the ledge at the end of the indoor. I'd love some video of me with Fessor and with Sam! I'll look better on Fessor, but I need to keep practicing with Sam.

Tracy

I went and I spent, got some good deals on breeches (100 bucks for Equusentials) and the Stuuben tent had a deal on reins (18 bucks!) so my double is officially complete. Rubbed elbows with a few friends, drummed up support for a few things. Can't get much better. Skipping cross country and stadium. I's got stuff to do.

It was 80 degrees and wonderful. Really quite sweet outside, went out for a gallop worked on some changes.

Greetings from Kentucky!!

Sooo Brettina Hoy had a spectacular ride. UMM she's is so far ahead of the pack scoring in the 20's. Can't recall her score exactly. We are having a lovely time!

I'll respond to all later. Just giving you all a small update and am adding pictures :)

Bought a new dressage shirt...and saw some saddle pads for a really good deal. Will go back and pick some up. I'm totally sunburnt. We walked the course and it looks awesome! WOOT! Can't wait for tomorrow!

Throwing in some pics from dressage. I have some of Phillip and Connaught (gosh I love that horse)..Bruce Sr. Davidson and one of a Canadian rider.

Rolex09001.jpg

Rolex09002.jpg

Edited by 3DayEventer

Kentucky sure is pretty. I do sometimes miss the hills and the green. Our grass is sorta yellowish-green in comparison. And it looks like hairplugs. Not the thick, lush, rich green grass they have.

So I learned today that together, Lucy and I do not bend to the right nearly as well as we bend left. She was having an "I don't FEEEEEL like trotting or cantering" day, so we did some lateral work. SI, HI, HP with left bend, all just lovely (at the walk). Right bend, oh **** no. We did manage some nice SI, but it took a while. Tried HI, and she circles off the fence. HP, again with the circle. Again to the left, lovely.

Normally her left HP is nice, right is ugly but possible, and SI is nice both directions (though nicer with right bend, so backwards from today). HI was nice when I could get over my fear of running into the fence.

She did get kicked in the ribs about a month ago, on the left. I did some stretches with her, and the right hind seems fine, but when I leaned my side into her belly on the right, just a tad, she looked a bit offended. Guess the left side is all tight. Poor girly.

I did dig up 3 RR ties today though! I ran out of daylight so I had to stop, but they were remarkably easy to dig up and flip to the side. I figured they would be super heavy, but I could move one end of them with one hand while standing on the handle of the shovel to keep it from falling back into its hole. This arena-building thing may not be too horrible after all.

Tempi, were those the deer leather equessentials for $100? Wow, you got a gonga deal. And did you see 3day there? Is it at the Horse Park? I was there once in summer of 04 for the Pony Club Regionals. We lived in Nashville at the time and my neice had hauled from Kansas to show. So we went up to visit with her and my SIL. It was a blast.

3day, great pics. What did your friend end up doing? Did she go with you?

Shiloh, send Lucy out here. I really like that mare! :winking:

KTS, The grey mare is stunning.

Ok, so I had a revelation people! Yes, Beau can be a spooker and yes he has his issues, but he is not usually this bad and do you know what I thought of today when I got home and it started to rain so I could not ride? I realized that he has only been spooking this ridiculously since I sold my other horse back in Nov. I thought it was the cold and the deer all winter long, but it's not cold now, in fact it's hot and the deer are gone for spring and summer. So I am wondering if he does indeed need a buddy? I am thinking about just fostering for an equine rescue assoc. Then I wouldn't have to keep any of them, just take care of one till someone adopts it. Then get another one, until I can buy my next dressage baby, which I don't really want to do for a couple of years yet. I really had to be aggressive the way I rode him yesterday to keep him forward and from not spooking out from under me! So he really needed a leader. I guess all that barrel racing paid off! Ha! Anyway, when I haul him to my trainers and shows he is not like this, but there are other horses around at those places! He is a very social and co-dependant horse, I can not haul another horse to a show with him, he just freaks out when they leave him. Anywhoo, what do ya'll think?

Aunt Flo's flight was delayed but shes now here, safe and sound! WHEW!

Well would it really be so bad if she just didn't show up for say........ oh about 9 months? :tongue9:

Hmm Boocoo, if Lucy is still going when/if we start needing to paint a nursery, I will certainly consider sending her to you. My boarder just doesn't have the confidence to ride her anymore. Lucy's calmed down a ton, but we all know how a bad fall can ruin confidence (fall was not from Lucy).

Its too bad you don't make it this direction anymore. I would love to see someone else ride her. Any chance you need to come visit your aunt? I'm sure she would LOVE to have you visit ;)

Maybe Beau does need a buddy. Fostering a rescue could be the way to go, only I would doubt they would be adopted too quickly. Especially an older horse or one with any special needs. Why the wait on buying a prospect? If you're not set on a WB, there are TONS of nice youngsters available for cheap. I've seen some very nice half-Andalusians for just a couple thousand. You might be able to find a nice WB baby for cheap too, I just haven't looked. The market is just insane though.

Shiloh, if I get out there I will let you know. I have not been to Fla. in a long time but I have some Universal Studio tickets I need to use!!! :happy0203:

If I do foster care I plan on doing babies. I want a yearling. They have some cuties on their web site that need homes. They do a lot of work with the law, so a lot of horses are seized and need somewhere to go. If figure those will adopt out the fastest and won't need a ton of health care. If they do, the org. pays for it anyway, but I don't want to deal with going to the Vet. all the time or meds for an older horse.

I am waiting on a new horse because I can't get what I want right now. I don't want to settle for something I wish I hadn't got, or something I have to turn around and sell. I have my eye on several Hanoverian yearlings, but they are still quite pricey, so need to gather all my funds. We paid cash for my new trailer last year and then came up with down payment and closing cots on this place, pluse we had to buy a barn and some other things and pay for moving expenses, so need to build back up the funds! We don't finance anything we don't have to and we don't keep balances on our credit cards. We stay relatively out of debt that way and can afford to have fun in life that way. This is why I can go to shows and take lessons and all that good stuff! This hobby is not cheap! Course I'm not telling you anything you don't already know!

I have owned horses for 33 years and I thought barrel racing was expensive, little did I know till I got into dressage, but I love, love, love it.

There has got to be some nice horses that are affordable. Fraiser and Remm were both way under the market, and that was before the economy went down the tubes. I just haven't looked, but if any time would be good, it would be now!

Tempi, were those the deer leather equessentials for $100? Wow, you got a gonga deal. And did you see 3day there? Is it at the Horse Park? I was there once in summer of 04 for the Pony Club Regionals. We lived in Nashville at the time and my neice had hauled from Kansas to show. So we went up to visit with her and my SIL. It was a blast.

Yep, full seats too. I got them off the seconds rack.

Rolex is indeed at KHP, as well as a bunch of other things throughout the year.

Didn't get to see 3day, the crowds are massive, plus I don't think the majority of the board knows how to get in touch with me.

Because I love searching for horses for other people...

http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse.php?f...mp;share_this=Y

A bit older than yearling, but just barely started and I love her face.

Near me, you could come use those Universal tickets!

There is a breeder in VA who has some lovely foals in the $5k to $6k range. One filly I would love to have, and I tend to not even like WB's much.

Eventer, I can't believe Bruce is still competing, let alone riding! How old is that man? He is the God of eventing! Glad that you are having fun.

Tempi, you're missin' the best part, girl! Your passion must REALLY be dressage! THe only thing, I've heard people say that the eventing dressage is a joke when compared to reg. dressage. I'm sure they're right, but dang, the xc is the BEST! Glad you had fun and found some great deals!

Boocoo, you're thinking outside of the box! Awesome! Hopefully the solution is getting a buddy for Beau! You had asked about stretching and massage; I actually have begun stretching Jag's legs before every ride. His fronts stretch like a nice rubber band, but he won't let me stretch his hind legs much past his hock. The chiro suggested that this was a symptom of being out in the last vertebrae(?) At any rate, I am doing all of the stretching and massage that I know, which might be a bit limited. Any suggestions, especially for stretching the hind quarters?

KTS, I noticed two differences between the pictures; the tense pic shows no half fluffy pad and it must be cold outside. The nice pic shows a fluffy half pad and it's obviously hot outside (sans jacket, sleeveless). Does cold=tension with the mare? Is she cold backed? I don't know; just throwing some observations out for ya. She is a nice gal; I've seen that nice pic before! Was that at the VA horse park in Lexington, VA? Looks familiar.

I didn't ride tonight because Chad was working in the field; they got 120 acres planted for corn. It is supposed to rain this weekend, which is awesome! If it rains just the right amount, it'll keep my husband out of the field and it will allow me to ride!!! I know, it's selfish. The poor guys just want to get all of their crops planted, and here I am hoping for a break... Oh well, our area could use a little rain. We had a grass fire yesterday; burned down our neighbor's old barn. Thankfully his nice stud barn was spared. Thankfully the firemen got the fire under control before it swept through our farm/acreage! I was seriously ready to grab Shannon, the dog and the computer and make a run for it to let Jaggar loose... (I don't know what I should had done with Jaggar if the fire was seriously threatening his barn/yards. I mean, with a baby and a dog, I'm not sure that handling a horse too would be the safest thing to do. I would assume let Jag free since we live at least two miles from the nearest concrete road... Then again, when there's a fire, fire trucks tend to drive fast, and a loose horse could cause an accident... I don't know... Hum.

Well would it really be so bad if she just didn't show up for say........ oh about 9 months? :tongue9:

OMG It would be horrible right now. I mean if it happens, it happens. But I DO NOT want it to. I dont let Randy even stand near me just in case he sneezes and I get prego! haha But seriously, we have been together for over 8 years and never ever ever had an accident or an "omg what if?" and actually come to think of it, Ive been sexually active for.... 9.5 yrs and never had an oops or thought I could be. Maybe Im not fertile or really lucky? lol But so far so good, it isnt starting out as intense as my other periods. TMI maybe but meh!

Randy and I are using my aunts time share at the end of August to go to Orlando. My boss is going on his 2 week honeymoon then so I have some time off. We are staying at the Liki Tiki Villiage (click for pics). It is going to be a 2 bedroom condo with full kitchen, etc etc etc. The facility has a huge pool with 5 slides, a wave pool, mini golf, bumper boats, etc. We like doing all the kid stuff. Then he found this place where you go up in like a 60 y/o war plane and you get to sit in the front cockpit and do loops and go upside down in a real plane. And then of course the indoor sky diving. So that is exciting.

But Im going to bed.... Im exhausted after riding in that heat!

BTW If you girls dont venture to the HJ forum often, here is a link to a bunch of pics and vids I posted.

Pics & Vids of Layla

Edited by KrazyTBMare

OMGosh KTM! That sounds like such an awesome vacation! I would have a hard time deciding which to do: go to Lexington for the Rolex HT or ride on that old war plane... I mean, that would be a seriously difficult decision! Have fun with that. Oh, August seems so far away...

We got a new DVD player and my mom brought up one of their old tvs that they wanted to get rid of (to replace my dieing tv), so Shannon is now watching Spirit for the gazillonth time! I'm starting to like the movie, especially after having to watch some other kid movies; Spirit is by far better than the other movies with respect to music, plot, humor, and character personalities/development!

Ah, well it rained last night- just enough to keep the boys out of the field, but not too much to keep me out of the saddle... Ah, life is good, lol!

Edited by Sylves

Tempi, you're missin' the best part, girl! Your passion must REALLY be dressage! THe only thing, I've heard people say that the eventing dressage is a joke when compared to reg. dressage. I'm sure they're right, but dang, the xc is the BEST! Glad you had fun and found some great deals!

There were some really lovely rides out there, I caught one of Anky's students who rode the test very well, most of the Brits, some of the Americans, who put in decent to really nice rounds. Even though I evented for a number of years and I still appreciate a cross country galloping machine and conditioning methods my real focus and drive lies with dressage and probably always had been.

I don't normally attend xc day, it's seriously a madhouse. I've already become intimate with the course (got to walk it before anyone else, got to help plant and protect it), it's a serious galloping track with probably five, maybe six technical complexes. E-S did his usual wonderful artistic job, and Woerth did her usual fabulous job planting and designing the flowers.

Good job on the equessentials Tempi. Woot!

Shiloh, I like Flirty and she is not to far from me at all. In fact, when we bought this place, we looked at a place there, but decided it was really too far from everywhere. I have been looking at dressage horses on dreamhorse, never though to try dressage prospects!!!

I really want a colt or gedling, reason being? Beau is very proud cut. It causes problems, but you never know, the right filly/mare could sway me, perhaps. But another reason I want to wait is I don't have time to ride two horses right now and I am nowhere near ready to give up on Beau yet. I want to get my bronze on him.

Krazy, yeah your smart to wait till your ready. I definitely waited till we were ready and I am so glad. And then we only had one! I tell people we did it right the first time, no need to do it again! :tongue9: Seriously though, my son is a great kid and very smart and gets straight A's in school and is just a super fun person for being only 14!! I think he's an old sole! Have a fun vacation.

Any of you Floridians want a gonga deal on Universal Studio tickets? PM me if you do!

Shiloh, how we stretch Beau's back legs is to pick up the foot and you are facing to the rear of the horse. Have both hands around his fetlock and slowly bring his foot towards his front foot. If he starts to resist, just stop, don't pull any further and don't let go, unless he is going to yank you off your feet. Once he stops resisting, pull it a little more toward that front foot. Just do it a little ways the first time and go a little further each time. Do both legs. Then after he will let you do that, pick up the back foot and facing the front of the horse, very slowly, and don't lift his foot very high off the ground, stretch the leg out behind him. Once again, when you feel resistance, just stop, then proceed when he stops resisting and just go a little ways at a time, till you can stretch his legs out all the way, frontwards and backwards. When you get to the furthest point you can stretch, hold for 10 seconds, then.......... don't drop his foot, slowly bring it back to where it goes and let him put it down. This will not only stretch his tendons and ligaments and muscles, it will help stretch his hips out. I also stretch the front legs out and I have Beau do treat stretches. He has to stretch all the way past his hip both ways, then to his shoulders, then between his front legs and the last one is a freebie! :happy0203: Another thing that helpes his sacrum and sore hips was to have him do situps, You just run your thumb underneath his belly, from the shoulder back and he will lift his back up and stretch out all those muscles.

KTS, You are right, this is a good time to buy, if the right thing came along I might. My little hanoverian colt that I have my eye on's price went up! He was 6500 and now he's 8000. Still not bad for a nicely bred, excellent moving colt.

I gave Beau a tube of Kalmaid today, which has a much lower dose of L-Tryptophan in it than B=kalm, and hauled him up to my trainers for a lesson. We had a super great lesson. We worked on shoulder in and leg yield and I had some eye opening moments with the reins! Yah, you know, that forever following, giving thing! Anyway, she really got the point across to me on what she wants me to do to supple with the inside rein. Then we had some awesome canter lengthenings. She said he was really nice and uphill and lengthening the stride without getting quicker. At the end of the long side she would have me shoulder in, then 10m circle in canter. Beau thought that was great fun! My trainer was so impressed she was whooping! It was funny. Anyway, great lesson and best ride I've had since my March show. So hopefully Beau is on his way back to me now. I have my show next weekend and she said the show sec. had called her and said it's not a very big show, so while that may not be good for her, I like it, cause it means my rides won't be so far apart and Beau won't get so rattled. Plus he knows this place. I have shown him there like, 10 times and he really likes it, plus it's not a long haul or anything and I don't have to get a hotel, so I sleep better at night. I am taking him over on Fri. and going to school him and then go back Sat. a.m. and show him. If I get my scores on Sat. I may not even show him on Sun. So we'll see how it goes.

Man you guys are chatty! The weather has been so great the past few days that I have been doing work on the farm and transplanting perennials! I love plants and flowers.

ES-Where are you!

Tempi-Glad you had fun at the Rolex. I am like you, I see what I need to see then have my own horses to get back to.

3Day-Glad you are enjoying the Rolex!

KTM-Nice videos and pics. I don't think I will ever be ready for a kid. I can stand them for a little while; then I am done.

KTS-Shelby does the same thing...I just don't think I have the time or patience anymore and she needs someone who does. The Regumate does help her.

Sylves-It is still sunny and warm here. Glad you have your tv and movie back...hahahaha. I couldn't live without a tv; we have one in about every room. I know that is bad, but I spend so much time gone and outside, it is really only on in the evenings and everyone has their vices!

Boocoo-Glad your lesson went well! What tests are you doing next weekend??

I have a lesson in the morning...I was warming up and waiting for her on Friday and her car wouldn't start, so I rode on my own. Today was a hacking day and we rode around with my mom and I did some hand galloping out in a field. I had lots of people come to get manure and was trying to get some of my own yard work done.

I am watching a "green" edition of House Hunters and there is this cool eco house that comes in a kit...it would be great on the farm. The DH and I are very into energy conservation and want to build an eco friendly house on the farm...if we can ever get this condo sold, the market has tanked here. I want a rain water collection system to water all of my flowers!

Okay, DH is at a soccer game and I need to work on some show entries!

Beckham - How funny! We were writing at the same time and you were asking where I've been, so I came back to edit and wish you a fun lesson tomorrow! :grin: I've been so busy that I haven't been on much. I feel like I've missed so much!

shiloh - my fianc? and I are also planning to have a baby soon after we get married, but after Echo falling in the turnout (I know, it doesn't have much to do with anything except that it gave him a visual) my fianc? has decided he doesn't want me to ride while I'm preggers. I'm pretty anxious now about 9 months out of the saddle, then maybe even longer if I end up with a c-section or have other complications. Ack! But still, as I know since I have a wonderful daughter already, children are worth everything!

tempichange and 3Day - I'm jealous! Shopping, getting to see amazing horses and riding? ahh. Enjoy!

KrazyTB - glad all's well with flo! Your vacation sounds fabulous!!!

KTS - The mare's lovely when she's happy :)

Boocoo - Totally agree about staying out of debt. You can actually afford more that way! I'll bet your next horse is phenomenal? when the time is right. Still, I think Beau's gorgeous too. Glad you had such an awesome lesson? I'm a big believer in riding the positive wave, so I'm going to say he's on his way back to you and you're going to have a great show.

I'm more behind than that, I know :)

So I have some pics with the new saddle finally. I am cringing looking at myself though. Ugh, I really wish we had some mirrors or there were other dressage riders out at my barn and we could critique each other as we ride. It's so tough to only have the lessons every 2 - 3 weeks, and only get to see myself when my daughter comes out and takes pics (at 10 years old, she gets pretty bored doing it!). I look and see so many flaws in my riding and I know I could do so much better with more help. Oh well, we're still progressing.

Anyway, this first pic is just to show the wound on her leg from her fall. It's almost completely healed now, but you can see that it was pretty nasty.

1.jpg

Here I can see that my stirrups are still a bit short. I'm working on getting comfortable dropping them lower. But I love the saddle and it fits Echo nicely, and when I get my position better (aka start riding more effectively) we'll be set.

2.jpg

Here's an awkward moment in the canter, but you can see more of the saddle. Again, I guess when I'm riding I'm feeling what I'm seeing in this pic: I need to get my butt down into the saddle, and then relax my leg.

3.jpg

And just because Echo's cute :tongue9:

4.jpg

Edited by e.s.dressage