Sign in to follow this  
Navajo51505

Older Horse

Hi all,

My mare is 28 this year and she is literally a bag of bones, she has been on free choice hay and 20 pounds of Nutrena Senior everyday all winter and is still all bone. She was blanketed, wormed, and floated. She also is missing a few back teeth and can;t really eat hay, that;s why I am thinking about stretchers. She has been on beet pulp and it did't do to much. I am turning to other products and want opinions on which to use, it can be single or combinations. Please list your expierences with them, Thank you so much:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/st...p;Special=false

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/st...rue&cFlag=1

Edited by Navajo51505

I have not used any of those products you listed. I can only tell you my experience with alfalfa cubes.

My old horse started losing weight in the late summer/early fall for the second year in a row.

I started giving him soaked alfalfa cubes once a day. I would soak one cup of the cubes in warm water and it usually ended up about 4lbs. I also put 1/4 cup of corn oil on that.

He put on more weight this winter than he had all summer. I don't think he was processing his hay well.

Good luck! Hope you get a good combo figured out.

Well...I work P/T at TSC, so maybe I shouldn't say...there's cheaper, easier ways.

Rice Bran Oil is OK - high Omega 3s, high fat - but soybean oil (veg. oil in your grocery store) will do the same thing for less than half the price.

Stay away from the Calf Manna type supps - they are super high in protein, and will not build fat - they can also stress the kidneys of an older horse.

Any of the weight builder supplements are so-so. I mean, they'll work for some horses, and not for others. It just depends on the horse; and if you read what's in them, they are just a powdered fat supplement with other ingredients to make them taste good - so once again, you're back to feeding that or plain old vegetable oil that's got the same fat content and costs a whole lot less.

I would stay away from any of the vitamin/mineral senior supps. The Nutrena Senior is good stuff, and balanced in vits/mins - so you start adding a supplement to that, you can throw things out of whack without meaning to.

Alfalfa pellets are OK, but soaked cubes are better. Pellets are more broken down and there's some roughage that's lost.

The only thing I might add would be a good probiotic to help her digest what she's eating. TSC sells Probios powder; there are a lot of online catalogs that sell other brands, too.

(So that would be: Senior, hopefully in 3 meals per day - too much in one feeding is just going to go right through her) - work up to as much as 1 cup of oil per day, added slowly - soaked alfalfa cubes, added slowly - and probiotics fed as labeled.

If she's not had a fecal run, I would do that too, just to be sure she doesn't still have worms - it's not that expensive, especially when you can treat for whatever she may specifically have vs guesswork. Maybe a CBC as well, just to make sure you're not dealing with some sort of organ failure or worse than just missing some teeth and can't chew hay.

Depending on where you are in the country, nights are still cool enough I would be blanketing if she's that thin - she's probably burning off a lot just keeping warm. Pull the blanket when it hits 55 or she seems warm.

That's all I can think of at the moment...hope she starts gaining quickly...that spring grass should help!

Thanks for the feedback, are the probios given daily or just once every so often? It says this is sold:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/st...rue&cFlag=1

but would I need more then just one dose?

Also with the alfalfa cubes how much per feeding would you suggest?

Is one cup of them going to be enough or too much to start out with, and what is the most that I should work up too. How long do you think one bag would last. Thanks. =]

Yep. Soaked hay cubes. The gut doesn't digest normally without longer fiber than you will get with beet pulp or pellets. My 37 year old gelding gets 5# dry weight, 3 times a day, along with 5# senior feed each time. He's not FAT, but he isn't thin either. And he's still a pretty spunky ol dude!

I have seen many people use the Weight Builder supplements with good results. Beet pulp is really good for older horses. Alfpha cubes has really work wonders for my sisters senior horse. She looks really good. Hope you can find something to keep her weight up.

Cocosoya is something you try, it says:

Used for: ? A replacement for (refined) ordinary corn & vegetable oil ? Reducing dust in feed ? Increasing feed palatability while reducing molasses ? Improved hair coat gloss ? Improved feed utilization ? A natural source of Vitamin E ? Increased calories in the diet which are slowly metabolized ? Stabilizing Blood Sugar".

Please keep us posted on what has work for your horse.

~MH

I;m sorry ozland I'm not getting what you are saying. 5 pounds of what and what 3 times a day. Thanks. He looks great.

How much water am I adding per cube to the alfalfa and how much should she be getting. I am going to try to get it split up into three feedings if i can. If not three then deffinitely two.

I want to get her to this point but I have no idea if this would help her any so please tweek it as you need too:

6am:

1 scoop senior feed

2 cups pellets soaked in 4 cups water

1/2 cup veggie oil

1.5 pounds alfalfa cubes soaked

4pm:

1 scoop senior feed

1/2 veggie oil

2 pounds alfalfa cubes soaked

9pm:

1 scoop senior feed

1/2 veggie oil

Tweek what you need too. This is based on things I have been reading all night. Also she is in a dry pasture but I let her out to eat grass for a couple hours every night and all day on weekends, she has free choice hay but cant chew it, and she will be going over to my uncles into a grass pasture once the grass starts to come up again. And right now she is not being handled at all until her weight is back up. Thanks again everyone.

Edited by Navajo51505

We just lost our little old man...

We had him on Corn oil (1/2 cup 4 times a day), Amplify (1/2 cup 4 times a day), Purina Senior (2 pounds 4 times a day), Beet Pulp (3 cups 4 times a day), and red cell once a day.

Have you had his blood checked? 5 years ago, the vet didn't think Bear'd make it through the winter. We added red cell, and he made a complete turnaround. Maybe he's just missing something.

My old mare is 26 and looks 12-She is on alfalfa, rice bran used as a top dressing 1 cup, a regular oat based 10% all grain feed 1 full scoop and I feed her three times a day when ever I can.

She gets two flakes of regular hay 1 flake of alfalfa or a quart bucket of alfalfa cubes soaked in water.

A draft horse at our barn who is only 12 started dropping weight - he was having kidney failure. He's gained back some of his weight with more hay and windstraw(steroid). They are checking his kidney function twice a month now and he seems to be on the road to recovery.

The worst part is my vet doesnt think there is anything wrong with her he just says she is old and she probably wont gain anymore which cant be true because she gets fat every spring/summer on pasture. You can see every rib her hip bones, back bone, basically if you cut off her back half it would weigh aobut 50 pounds I feel like the worst owner ever but i have three other horses here that are fat and happy and she is just in terrible condition. She is by no means neglected But winters are so harsh on her. i have tried supplements, beet pulp, different senior feeds, it gets cold and she loses everything plus she had two blankets on. hopefully alfalfa will help her. I dont have access to alfalfa hay that's why I am trying the cubes, but i think maybe a combination of the two or cubes and hay stretcher may help her.

I;m sorry ozland I'm not getting what you are saying. 5 pounds of what and what 3 times a day. Thanks. He looks great.

How much water am I adding per cube to the alfalfa and how much should she be getting. I am going to try to get it split up into three feedings if i can. If not three then deffinitely two.

I want to get her to this point but I have no idea if this would help her any so please tweek it as you need too:

6am:

1 scoop senior feed

1/2 cup veggie oil

4pm:

1 scoop senior feed

1/2 veggie oil

2 pounds alfalfa cubes soaked

9pm:

1 scoop senior feed

1/2 veggie oil

Tweek what you need too. This is based on things I have been reading all night. Also she is in a dry pasture but I let her out to eat grass for a couple hours every night and all day on weekends, she has free choice hay but cant chew it, and she will be going over to my uncles into a grass pasture once the grass starts to come up again. And right now she is not being handled at all until her weight is back up. Thanks again everyone.

5 pounds of hay cubes, weighed dry. Dump them in a bucket and add enough warm water to just get them floating a little, and let them soak for an hour. Then add 5 pounds of senior feed to that. Do this 3 times a day. Adding the oil or some rice bran will help too. Just start with a small amount and work up gradually to a cup a day. NOT a cup per feeding. With this, you don't need the extra pellets you are feeding.

Does anyone know how much hay cubes, pellets, and senior feed weigh in those bright plastic scoops that you get at tractor supply. I think it is two quarts?

Is one and a half cups of veggie oil per day to much or should I just give that to her in a one cup per day amount?

Thanks.

Cup and a half of oil a day is pushing it for some horses. A metal 3# coffeecan holds 5 pounds of cubes, more or less, depending on how small the cubes are broken up. The plastic scoop holds 6 pounds of the senior I use. Just weigh a scoopfull on your bathroom scale.

So I will keep her at a cup of oil per day then. Maybe give it to her in doses of 1/3 cup at each feeding for three feedings. I may try getting two bags of the cubes and two bags of hay stretcher giving her 5 pounds cubes per day and the equivelant of 5 pounds of hay in pellets so she is getting 10 pounds of substitute hay and leave the free choice out as well plus her senior feed and the veggie oil...then by the time that all runs out I will see were she is weight wise. take a before and after picture for everyone. Can anyone answer my question about the probios? Are they fed daily or once a month or what?

thanks

Pro/Pre-biotics are fed on a daily basis. Some people only feed them if their horse is having a specific problem (diarrhea for example), but you would feed them daily in your case.

Depends on which product you use. Some are meant for once a month, and some for every day. Just read the directions on whichever one you choose.