ivette_a2004

What Is A Well Put Together Mare In Your Eyes?

Ok so i will post the first one haha!

I would like to see pictures of what you all deem breeding worthy in your own eyes. Don't be scared as not all horses are created the same you have different breeds, disciplines etc... So what is breeding quality to you?

Remember post pictures of your own horses or if you have permission to post them. HC rules :happy0203:

I am going to post some pictures but i am getting permission to do so.

Edited by Halo's Mom

WHAT IS A WELL PUT TOGETHER MARE in "MY" opinion???

One that has the head of a PRINCESS.

The butt of a WASHERWOMAN.

And the walk of a HOOKER. :ashamed0002: Did "I" say that...gees I hope I don't get banned. HTTY

Edited by horsewise

I'm not sure I know how to behave on a normal forum very well ... debate board is my home, as most all of you know! :happy0203:

But I'll show you a mare I feel (obviously) is worthy of making the designated use of her uterus:

050105Jake14-1.jpg

That's my boy Jake at almost a month old.

She was bred to this stud:

042504skipper04.jpg

0903Skipper01.jpg

DSC09361.jpg

And we may do it one more time this year. This would most likely be Lady's last foal as she is 26 this month. But she's healthy, and has produced winning foals with every single one she has dropped.

So there! :tongue9:

Oh good topic. I cant wait to think what others post!

Well here is my mare who I think (in a few years being as she's only 3) is breeding worthy.

She is put together really well (in my eye) and has a quirky personality that I love.

and not to mention she has really nice breeding.

pedi- http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/sassys+rascal+jac

100_3357.jpg

100_3348.jpg

100_3363.jpg

I think Ocean is pretty decent =) She's a Holsteiner mare.

o222.jpg

train4166.jpg

And she can jump =) lol

O53.jpg

confo3.jpg

Ocean's main problem is that she has a weaker hindend and a heavier front end. And you can see it.

One of her fillys

t27.jpg

torconfo3.jpg

Toribear089.jpg

And even though I don't know this mares breeding (aka, unknown), I adore her gaits and her build. Plus she's small.

rosienpep023.jpg

<3

Edited by WBduet

OK here is the website to the mare that i think is breeding worthy! I am not a TB person but this little lady has it all! and Color to boot! Her name is Faux Finish her Dam throws the most exceptional babies when bred to this stallion Guaranteed Gold check out the foals and breeding's this farm is doing.

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/

Thanks Halo's Mom! (Halo's Mom was good enough to let me know about this new section on the HorseCity BB so I just joined this morning ...)

Here are some of the youngsters we are producing in our coloured TB breeding program:

Faux Finish by Guaranteed Gold out of Puchi Trap, shown as a 2 year old:

Chamois-London-Jul06.jpg

her full sibling - Remember My Name - shown as a coming 2 year old:

Midas-Jan09-4.jpg

and the full sibling - Nightlight - shown as a yearling:

Daisy-Apr09-3.jpg

And here is the 2009 Guaranteed Gold / RFF Pearlescent foal - Champagneandpearls, shown at one week of age:

BabyPearl-May09.jpg

Here are a couple of pictures of the dam - Puchi Trap: (and excuse the dust / dirt on her ... she WAS clean when she went out!)

Noelle-May08-2.jpg

and:

Noelle-May08.jpg

Now off to look through the various threads on the BB ... :)

This is my QH mare at 19 YO. She's had four babies over the years for me.

DSCF2928.jpg

DSCF2923.jpg

This is who 3 of the 4 babies were by. Also the now gelding in my siggy pic

100_1678.jpg

This is the one remaining get I have of the mare's

DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF2903.jpg

Andi .... I love your mare and not just because she's yours. She has balance, substance and that 'look of eagles'.

Not just saying that because she's yours ... but because of all the mares posted? I'd breed her. To something that could FLY!

:yahoo:

LOL [ROTFL] Ok that's your idea of one.

Well his and D. Wayne Lukas'. :rolleye0014:

This is my idea of a good mare. Not spectaclar herself, but ..

TulsaSaucy2000.jpg

TulsaSized.jpg

She gave me babies like this ..

ChopperBest-1.jpg

ChopperLopeROK.jpg

Edited by KarenLynn

Karenlynn, yeah when they throw better then themselves.

And therein lies the purpose of breeding ...

To get a BETTER horse than what you bred, either dam or sire.

I feel our colt Jake is better overall than his dam and sire. Both dam and sire have good, strong points, and Jake took the good traits from both. He's not perfect but he's pretty dang good, I think!

But that should be the goal of every breeding of any domestically bred animal -- to better the breed.

WHAT IS A WELL PUT TOGETHER MARE in "MY" opinion???

One that has the head of a PRINCESS.

The butt of a WASHERWOMAN.

And the walk of a HOOKER. :ashamed0002: Did "I" say that...gees I hope I don't get banned. HTTY

Well, no, D Wayne Lukas said it first, and the exact quote is "the head of a princess, the butt of a fry cook, and a walk like a hooker" (it was my signature for a long time... heh).

For me I want a horse with a big shoulder, with good open scapula-humerus angle (with a long humerus). I want a short strong loin with a smooth connection, and a hip that lies vertically directly under the peak of the SI.

And good strong feet/legs :)

Everything else is candy, afaic.

Well, no, D Wayne Lukas said it first, and the exact quote is "the head of a princess, the butt of a fry cook, and a walk like a hooker" (it was my signature for a long time... heh).

For me I want a horse with a big shoulder, with good open scapula-humerus angle (with a long humerus). I want a short strong loin with a smooth connection, and a hip that lies vertically directly under the peak of the SI.

And good strong feet/legs :)

Everything else is candy, afaic.

Splain to me the hip you look for again ... please?

SI?

Splain to me the hip you look for again ... please?

SI?

SI = Sacro Iliac. Basically, the high point of the croup. I like that high spot to line up directly over the point of the "wing" of the hip. That (combined with a short strong loin) makes for the greatest flexibility of the pelvis. If the hip is lined up with the peak of the SI, the SI can act more easily as a fulcrum and the pelvis can tip downwards (which equals collection, using the hind end, etc).

I also like a long pelvis. Angle isn't super high on my priority list, but the longer the pelvis, the greater the "engine" A pelvis that's 1/3 the body length (point of hip to point of buttock is 1/3 or greater than the length from the point of chest to point of buttock) or more gets a thumbs up from me, too.

(I also like a low stifle and hock, I think that also helps with collection, and power/push from behind)

Here's a very famous racehorse who's a good example of that hip thing. I marked the point of hip in red and the point of the SI in green:

curlin.jpg

I might be slightly off on the point of hip, because sometimes it's hard to tell exactly in pictures. But they're fairly close. Not only are they vertically almost in line, but the hip is quite high too. He also has a nice long pelvis, among other great attributes that made him a really good racehorse :)

In comparison:

katconf.jpg

This is an older broodmare, so you have to look past her condition a little bit (she'd been doing nothing except popping out babies most of her life. She does have some great qualities, but if you look at her hip, the points of her hip are set well forward from the point of the SI.

We currently have our mare (pictured 3 months long):

Penny3Months.jpg

bred to our stallion:

P7180851.jpg

For our first 2010 baby. The mare has had 2 previous foals I have been unable to track down. She is very well bred & had a short lived career on the track. The stallion has 6 reg. foals (some unregistered ones running around). His oldest son is doing very well in barrel racing.

And one day when she's proven herself & gets a break I'd LOVE to breed my prospect, Tilly, who is also very well bred, won a bit on the track, and is now working the barrel pattern:

MeOnMare.jpg

Bay4.jpg

Oh my, I just love reading these posts :grin: and seeing beautiful mares and gorgeous studs. It's horse po rn to me [bat Eyelashes]

Edited because I guess the "P" word is censored :ashamed0002:

Edited by Forever in Blue Genes

All right I'll play too...

This is my mare, She has been exposed to an unregistered, heinz 57 bred stud. Yep... She's a mighty fine piece of horse flesh, missing teeth and all. She's kinda got that hillbilly look about her in these pics. Hummmm.... Wonder what she'll have?

000_0303.jpg

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!! Trying to throw out some humor here for some laughs!! [Crazy]

Anyway, here she is in real life.

sandy1.jpg

side.jpg

trailerpic.jpg

Well put together is in the eye of the beholder. Each discipline looks for something different. I will judge conformation / breeding to an extent. More than anything I want performance. Proof of what the horse is capable of. If a mare runs down hill or is long backed, but she's won big stuff in her discipline, I'm likely to forgive that conformational flaw and just stay aware of what you are breeding her to so as counter the problem. However, if the mare has every physical flaw of nature, including those that will garauntee soundness issues, no. Too, (and everyone already knows this about me) I want to see some performance from a mare. I don't care how well she's put together. I want to know she can ride and has a willing mind. I want to know that she can put that body to use. I am not a fan of a broodmare band of horses that have never been ridden.

All right I'll play too...

This is my mare, She has been exposed to an unregistered, heinz 57 bred stud. Yep... She's a mighty fine piece of horse flesh, missing teeth and all. She's kinda got that hillbilly look about her in these pics. Hummmm.... Wonder what she'll have?

000_0303.jpg

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!! Trying to throw out some humor here for some laughs!! [Crazy]

Anyway, here she is in real life.

sandy1.jpg

side.jpg

trailerpic.jpg

bahahaha I was like, OMG someone just opened a can of whoop.... haha