Brush Creek Jake

Preakness

I was really happy for Calvin and RA, but I was bummed for Mine That Bird... does it seem to anyone else that he hardly got any attention? He did really well though. Can't help but wonder if he would've won this had Calvin been riding him.

Well, that's the joy of the Triple Crown! Versatility! 3 races, 3 different distances, 5 weeks.

Can I crow now, about all my Rachel pushing and promoting I did before the Derby?!

Well, tho I really wanted MTB to win, I was screamin' for both of them! I knew RA and MTB would go 1/2 - I just wasn't sure which would take the prize. MTB proved he's not a one-hit-wonder!

I even picked Musket Man for third - must have been all the weekends I spent at the track with my dad as a kid...

And , according to their owner, the plan is for RA to be bred to Curlin - can't wait to see that foal!

I was also screaming for both Mind That Bird and RA, they are both great horses. I have a feeling that if RA is entered in the Belmont, she will win that race too.

I think if they race would have been a little longer [ie Belmont] Mine That Bird would have won.

Love Rachel Alexandria and Calvin Borel, I'm very happy that they won. They're a lovely match.

Edited by Fay C.

Well according to Calvin, Rachel hated the track, but when she caught sight of Bird, she pushed off again.

And interesting to note . . . Mine the Bird did NOT pass Rachel in the gallop out, usually a good indicator of what's left in the tank.

I LOVE all the angles though- a gelding that has a powerful closing stride and captivating tale (that will race for years) and a phenomenal filly and the jockey that rides them both.

MTB trainer is from my hometown. :)

Anywho, it was a really great race.

Soooo I think I heard that they bought Rachel for 7 million?! Is this correct or was I hearing things?

I was definitly cheering for Rachel Alexandra to win. Im so glad she did but that finish was nervewracking! For a second I thought MTB was going to catch her.

hollyyy!

I just watched it on youtube. Mine that Bird is intenseee. I really wish he'd won, but RA was my second pick, so I'm happy =)

Both of them are fantastic horses - but dang MTB makes for an INTENSE race. That closing power must be an insane ride. I think he would have gone nose to nose with her if he hadn't had to go out wide around the last turn.

Calvin said before the race that he's never asked the filly to really "belly down and run" and thinks it would be scary for both of them. I think a triple crown jock would be great! He certainly proved his talent on the Derby day card.