Sign in to follow this  
SGrace

What Color Is She Considered?

Why does an animal need papers to be worth anything? So she's lame... that does not proove her to be a bad horse for breeding. She has prooven herself to have a great disposition and does well on the ground with ground training. She just can't be ridden.

A vet already approved her for breeding and she will get a second oppinion before going further with this. Jules is a wonderful mare and any foal will be kept regardless of what type of training Savannah decides to go with. Our family has adopted many dogs (5), cats (4), and yes even horses! All she asked for was "What color the horse suposedly was." Please just stick to answer the question and no more.

This is rather amusing to me. The mare is a breeding prospect because its sweet and does ground-work (probably meaning she's halter-broke and leads)? Wow! Do you even know the HYPP status on this mare? She has no papers, so that would be a valid concern. I'm afraid you will learn on this board that we are all entitled to our opinion even if you don't like it. We will answer the question and we will add whatever we feel is necessary, which in this case, that this mare is a very bad breeding prospect to put it nicely. Have a problem with that? Go somewhere else.

BTW- Its proven, and prove. There is no such word as prooven.

i am going to have to agree with andi. im not sure where you are from, but i am in texas. the horse market is crap here. send me $75 and i can send you 3 yearlings tomorrow from auction that will be the same quality, temperament, and (if you wanna be picky) color as what you would breed. and it would save you the rest of the stud fee and wear and tear on the mare. i dont say this to be mean but this is the reality right now. i leave the sale almost every week and see the trailer load of unregistered unwanted horses going to mexico and its sick. you cant be sure that you will always be able to keep the baby, so i would buy a nice baby.

but please if you insist on breeding this mare please please please get her tested for HYPP, LWO

Edited by Tigger'sGotGame

I agree with almost ALL of the posters that this mare is NOT a prospect for breeding.

But one point I think needs to be made, and that is, that too a lot of rural America THERE ARE NO EXPENSES INVOLVED IN BREEDING YOUR MARE TO THE FREE STALLION DOWN THE STREET. Sorry to shout, but I have one in my extended family who is a "horse breeder". His horses are actually papered, and he does pay to have his bred to local stallions. But no other expense but for a little extra hay for the mares. They do not ever see a vet, he found he really doesn't need to bother with worming or shots. If the mare is in foal she foals, if not, no foal. Simple. No vet checks necesary.

And just over my back fence, a neighbor put in a stallion-it was free, and even has papers! So now they are breeders. And not only that but they paid $260 for a papered TB mare and foal at the local auction, so now they are really in business. The "stud" has a wonderful disposiion, is a cribber and frequently walks off lame- but owner didn't know what cribbing was, and isn't around to see the lameness. After all he still walks on all fours.

Sorry, I know the original poster has little to do with my rant, but I wanted to point out to you breeders who do it right, that to a backyard owner- the only expense is the stud fee. And not even that if you have a neighbor who never got around to gelding last years pasture accident.

So the money argument doesn't always carry weight.

I was in the position of having a few reg'd appie mares and regularly breeding them several years ago.

I'd hope and pray that I would get a ** ? ** gender foal that was coloured ** ? **.

And don't get me wrong - it WAS fun going out each spring morning and seeing what was there.

But then one day (and it was tied in with my realization that I wasn't making SQUAT for all my time and efforts breeding) I came to the conclusion.........why in the heck was I keeping a mare (c/w all the expenses for feed, hoof care and innoculations not to mention that the responsibility doubled once the foal hit the ground) when for less than the stud fee, I could pick up a registered weanling the bloodlines, gender and colour I wanted.

Just started making more sense.........to me anyway.

For me - I dunno - particularly if I had plans to try and be competitive with the resulting baby ( barrels, confirmation, team penning whatever) I'd want to be putting my best foot forward (fairly cheapily done with the market being what it is) rather than "settling" for whatever offspring resulted from a mare I just happened to own.

CR

ETA..........but......I guess we all need to figure things out for ourselves. Guaranteed there's going to be a variety of personal conclusions drawn.....and people will base their decisions - some more - some less - on emotions.

So - anyway...........to answer your question......I'd have to say "bay"

Edited by Cactus Rose

I agree with the above posters. I would not breed the mare. Various reasons. Namely, she has an unknown genetic history, is unproven and lame.

I know it seems a bit of a pot calling the kettle black, considering I bred an unproven mare. While she had 3 other colts, all of them haven't done anything with their perspective owner(s), she has not shown, but the disposition is fabulous, has good lines and the right kind of movement for what I wanted to accomplish.

But I went ahead anyways. It took me six months to find a stallion that throws well with this type and line. I bred for something very, very, very specific. It took me two tries at 300 a try. It cost me roughly 200 a month to keep her going until she foaled out.

I'll be the first to admit, I was extremely lucky, I got a super colt out of that cross. One that I'm extremely proud of to be the breeder, trainer and owner of. But, I would like to think that the research played a huge role

Breeding isn't for the faint of heart. It is hard work, and even harder when the foal hits the ground. I'm still not sure if he will be an upper level dressage horse.

If you're breeding for the sake of breeding and just wanting to raise a baby, then get a foal that's already on the ground. If you're breeding for a purpose, then find a new mare.

Ok well i am learning a lot from this post. I am not a breeder and dont know a heck of a lot about breeding. Out of the 8 horses i have owned 4 have not been registered, and they have been great horses! My reg paint mare has halter horse blood lines but excels in barrels so some horses can do well in other disciplines other than whats stated on their papers. So i dont believe in having papers is a MUST but do come in handy when breeding and when selling a hose.

Now her leg dosent look good and if you breed her i agree its most likely gonna put a lot of weight on the bad leg,which will make the other legs compinsate and she could possibly founder, which would be horrible.

Other than that i think she is beautiful!

i also wanted to breed my mare this year but after all the info i got from hc ive decided not to.

i dont think this mare should be bred.

buy one like im looking into.

id rather rescue one then breed and have one that would be perfectly fine go to slaughter

BTW andi i think your gelding is georgous! i like them nice and stocky

Edited by annaB

If your 100% set on breeding her regardless of what anyone on here says. (I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing with anyone on here) You should have a vet check her out and see if she is 100% sound for breeding b/c of the leg. I do think she is a gorgeous mare though! I love her blue eye.

S'all good Halter... didn't mean to embarrass you or anything, just a clarification.

[smiley Wavey]