Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

From Sylves:

Beck, sounds like a fun weekend with DH's birthday, dinners with the family, watching friends at shows and horse searching for someone other than yourself!

Boocoo, wow, that sounds like a Chinese firedrill n' a half! I'm sure your work was greatly appriciated!

Yea for the end of the school year! We will be done in two weeks!

KTS, I'm a little jealous- Aruba! I've been to the island once. Man, if the wind gets to blowing on the beach, prepare to be pelletted by the sand- OUCH! It's a gorgeous island. While you're there, will you "hop" to any of the other islands? Bermuda is another GORGEOUS island. Actually, I liked Bermuda more than Aruba. Have fun!

CSA, wow, it sounds like you were riding with quite the trainer! Hope you and Cheese can continue to get some awesome rides!

Tempi- FINALLY! Congratulations! I'll check out the other thread when I'm done here!

Eventer, Yea for jumping!

LS, Cute pictures! I love the spook picture! Glad you had fun!

Dobby, hope your first day back at school goes okay!

I got early this morning to unwrap and cold hose. Jaggar seemed extra stiff. His bump hasn't gotten any better or worse. I wish it would start to improve just a little. I gave Jaggar a gram of bute and put him away for the day without his blanket. It was still very cool outside with a pretty strong wind; I didn't want to take the blanket off yet, but it's supposed to get up into the 80's today, so it HAD to come off. Poor boy was probably chilly for a couple of hours this morning.

I'll cold hose and poultice again tonight.

This post has been edited by Sylves: Today, 04:08 PM

From ES Dressage:

Dobby - Good luck back at school today!

LS - Thanks for posting the pics!!! I also love the spook one, lol. Sounds like it was a great show :)

Tempi - Love the foal pics!!! I'm excited to see how she matures, as an Arab owner myself. I've thought about the Arab/WB cross as well for the future.

KTS - Don't run off with any charming but weird Dutch boys in Aruba, K?

Beckham - Happy birthday to Winston!!! Horse shopping with your friend sounds fun. Be careful you don't end up bringing one home for yourself!

Boocoo - Sorry the show didn't go as planned. Kudos to you for sticking it out to help though!

Sylves - He he, I think Jag's telling you he's not into the whole "rest" thing. Glad his hooves are looking better!

My lesson this weekend was GREAT! My instructor showed up early coming from another lesson, and ended up staying about two hours! We both rode X, and she did really well. She looked absolutely drool-worthy with my instructor on her, and probably not so much with me on her, lol, but she felt great. I'm really starting to be able to feel what's correct more, which is great. For example, I have those old nasty hunt seat habits and now it's starting to feel better when I really make an effort to sit UP and get my shoulders back, wheras it used to feel like I was leaning too far back.

Anyway, we move at the end of the month! I'll be paying for a few days at the old barn since I gave my notice on the 5th, but that's OK. My birthday's this Friday so I'm just considering it a b'day gift :) My instructor hung out while I untacked and we talked about the move. She told me to get it in my head now that I'm not going to be intimidated by the huge population of big, fancy WBs and upper level riders at the new place, because X and I are plenty nice in our own right. I said I'm just hoping we can soak up some of their talent by osmosis, lol!!

From Boocoo:

C.S.A. I have been trying to get our club to get Ulf out here. He really is an incredible teacher. No reason to feel nervous with him at all!!!

Sylves, yes, a chinese fire drill about explains it. I quit blanketing Beau about 6 years ago, so don't have to worry about the weather conditions anymore! I love it, makes life so much easier!! happy0203.gif

csa- where was the clinic at? Glad that Cheese behaved herself and that she went so well for you!

Sylves- I know yay for jumping. I'm trying to do it every other week. As I'm now taking lunge lessons w/ this German (a bit classical) instructor. I really want to better my position so I'm spurling on these lunge lessons for the summer. Hopefully I will see an improvement in my position and effectiveness. Poor Jag....hopefully he will start feeling better soon!

ES- Super! so glad that you had a terrific lesson! When is your move? Take pictures of the new place! :)

Finally got to the barn today. Friend came w/ me...so I could save time. She hacked out Scotch while I rode Leo. Great rides...boys were well behaved. :) Ergh must order more Cosequin ASU and Source. Tomorrow is another lunge lesson! Woot! Have a good day all

Haha! I know a guy that got his phone and ipod stolen by that charming Dutch guy.

Beckham- If you go do that cross, I really recommend KWPN. They tend to pair well overall. That and specific trakehners (Blue Hors Silvermoon). He'll be an interesting one to watch, they're already saying stallion prospect, and I'm a wee leery to call it that early.

Haha! I know a guy that got his phone and ipod stolen by that charming Dutch guy.

No WAY! The same guy?!

Eventer, I wish I could have some good jump lessons like that! Sounds like you're getting top notch instruction!

So, I was wondering who has ever dealt with a bone chip in the leg- particulary the sesamoids. Jag's localized swelling hasn't gone down, and now Jag is definitely ouchy on that leg. In fact, he's starting to show a bob at the trot. It's been over a week since I first saw the bump... He should be getting better by now... Chad brought up the possibility of a bone chip. We have been cold hosing twice a day, no riding, poulticing with dampened paper and wraps in the evenings to attempt to draw out swelling and heat. Nothing. I made an appointment for the vet to come out on Thursday, but now I'm wondering if this is something more urgent. If it's an infection (which it most likely is), it NEEDS to be addressed (more than just bute, wrapping and cold hosing). He might need antibiotics. He might need x-rays. Gosh, maybe all of the cold hosing and wrapping harbored bacteria.... If it's a chip, where do we go from here? Stall rest? 24/7 wraps? Surgery? I'm ready. Put it on me! I love this horse to death. I'm jumping to conclusions again... [Duh]

Edited by Sylves

Sylves - No jumping to conclusions, OK? X-rays if you really think it might be a chip, but as for hosing, I don't think it does a whole lot honestly. You only get things as cold as the hose water, which isn't very cold once it mixes with leg temperature, plus you get the addition of too much moisture. If you really want to "ice" then you have to use ice or ice packs. Infection is more likely than bone chip since it was a puncture (easy to get infected) and he wasn't ouchy at first. I think he would have been really ouchy right away with a bone chip. Is it hot? Seriously, reiterating the not jumping to conclusions or adding on excessive *treatment* that can do more harm then good. I'm saying this because I'm a mom and I know that as a mom, it's easy to get over-zealous and worried (I'm guilty of that with my daughter sometimes, luckily not so much with Echo) and I get the "worried mom" vibe with you and Jag every now an then. I think Jag's tougher than you think, and I say that with tons of kindness so please don't take it the wrong way. I love how much you care about him and he's lucky for it :smilie:

3Day - ABSOLUTELY will take pics of the new digs. It's a really nice place. I just talked to the BO and they're thinking they'll come pick up X on the Saturday before the end of the month (30th) so I'll get a couple of bonus days before the board I paid (June) and she said no worries about board for the the couple of extra days; it's just easier for them to pick her up for me over the weekend. YAY! Have my lesson already scheduled for that Sunday so I'll have my instructor there to help me "settle in" right. I'm stoked [Jump]

Ooh, got a little birthday money from my mom and am looking at a bridle on ebay. What do you guys think? I think the blue inlay in the browband would look awesome with her grey coat. I'm going to double-check the measurements but Cob should fit X. I've been using the same bridle on her for seven years, so I'm ready to upgrade :)

Edited by e.s.dressage

Sylves, seriously, don't freak out yet. The anxiety isn't worth it! When you hear hoofbeats in the night, don't think zebra first, think horse. You know what I'm saying? Don't jump to the crazy worst-case scenarios until you work through the all of the more common possibilities with a vet.

Call the vet out. That, personally, is beyond my expertise and even if he diagnoses it as something common and simple that you expected, at least you will know and at least he can give you a game plan.

Sylves take a breath and relax. No sense in worrying of what could be. Get the vet out and get it diagnosed first. Than you can stress. LOL.

3Day-It was at Dunnhill in Coopersburg.I love the indoor footing there.The indoor itself was nice. However the mirrors had Cheese's attention for a bit.Luckily the friend who trailered Cheese is one of those people who is always on time or early. So since I had the first ride of the day we went over early to let Cheese relax a bit.

ES-That is a pretty bridle. Blue should look really good on Echo.

Tempi-That is interesting...there was an Old/Arab cross in out aisle at Wilmington last weekend. Crossing in Arabs seems to be very popular at the moment. What do you look for in an Arab when considering this cross? Are you doing any of the shows at Wilmington this year?

Sylves-Chill!!! Get the vet out and go from there...call him out sooner if you want. It is really hard to say what it may be.

ES-Cool bridle...I have an obsession with flashy brow bands.

CSA-Beckham pins his ears at himself in the mirrors in my trainer's indoor:-)

The weather here is amazing! Beckham got his hind shoes on yesterday and is moving really well. I need to get some chores done and I am heading over to my trainer's to see the foal:-)

I used to own Beau's 1/2 brother, who had also run on the track. He had a knee chip and after his surgery he went on to start winning sweepstakes races. Before that he couldn't barely hit the board!! So Sylves, don't worry, just get the Vet. out. It might not be a chip at all, maybe just a would that got something up in it? The Vet. will straighten him out.

E.S. that is a nice bridle. I like the blue. Will look good on your mare. My trainer sells Stueben Bridles in her tack shop. They are really nice.

Got the arena dragged last night. It's nice and fluffy since we got so much rain on Sat. Will ride tonight. First time since Friday!! Arena has been to wet.

I finally got my boots last night and they fit!!!!!!!!!! This is the 5th pair since January. So only took 4 months to get it right. They felt really good. I am going to ride in them tonight.

Edited by Boocoo

Boocoo, Yey for finally finding boots that fit!!!

ESD, I would love that bridle! I think I read that the burgandy browband comes with the cob bridle, and the blue browband comes with the full (?) Whatever- it's gorgeous no matter what! Go for it! Granted, you might find a better deal on a Stubben or maybe even Kieffer bridle. I've seen those bridles go for as low as $150 NWT. Good luck! That is awesome that you'll get to move to the new barn early!

This morning Jag seemed less ouchy, perhaps sound. I didn't wrap or poultice last night... Yeah, sometimes less is better, lol! I did cold hose this morning. The water is pretty cold. I also used some astringent/liniment on the leg. He barely flinched. The swelling has decreased ever so slightly, I think. The vet is coming out on Thursday, although I am going to see if perhaps he can come out tonight or tomorrow during my day off.

Now that Chad has the feet all nicely trimmed up and balanced, I'd love to get back to riding!

Honestly, Chad suggested the bone chip idea, and it sorta made me jump off the deep end... the REALLY DEEP end! If only our local vet had a portable xray machine, or at least an xray machine for large livestock at the clinic.... but they don't. We will/would have to drive at least an hour for the nearest large animal xray.

Gotta go! Lunch and recess duty!

Edited by Sylves

Sylves - Glad he's doing better. It sounds like Chad is also doing the "worried mom" thing. The vet already came out once (right?) and said it seemed superficial, so I was expecting it to be better today :smilie: It is easy to worry though? been there, done that, lol. Oh, and I'm planning to use the "make an offer" on the bridle if the measurements are right, not just go for the price they have listed. You never know what people will accept, especially these days!

Boocoo - HOORAY about the boots! Only four months and five pairs later, right? He he? hope you love them tonight!!! That arena is going to be niiiiice!

Rode X early this am and she was great. I learned a lot in my lesson on Sunday and put it to work today with good results. I'm hoping to get Summer out to the barn with me later this week or over the weekend to take pics. I still feel myself tipping forward and I want to see how bad it really is. It's such a huge help to see it in the pics!!!

OK, bought the bridle! He went down to $209, and I looked it up online (Stubben 3200C) and it's listed close to $400 most places. It's never been on a horse, new with tags - I think that's a smokin' deal. Go ebay!!! Thank you mom for the b'day horsey money! He he :grin:

Hey, do you guys cut off the martingale stops on your reins? I do because I never use martingales, but I was just wondering since they'll be on the reins of the new bridle. Thought I'd ask what you all do before I do it again!

Edited by e.s.dressage

Don't listen to Sylves. She is an Ebay addict.LOL. ES it sounds like a good deal on the bridle. I hope it fits.

Boocoo enojoy your ride.

I was planning on just going over to groom Cheese today but allergies are kicking my butt. At least I hope its allergies and not a cold. One of my wisdom teeth is trying to poke through so I have had a low fever from that. I just feel miserable. Hubby and I are suppose to go out to dinner tonight for our anniversary. It may have to wait until next week.

Sylves, don't worry much yet. You've called the vet, so just hold tight. I also would stop the wrapping and such and just turn him out. Keep it clean, cold hosing will certainly not hurt anything, and just wait for the vet. There are certainly other things that could cause some lameness that may have nothing to do with the wound. He could have stepped on a rock, or slipped a little and twisted the leg, or even thrush can cause some lameness. So no worries yet.

And I LOVE Kieffer bridles. My favorite by far is my Barnsby, and then I have a Treadstone that I also really like. My Courbette is kinda ehhh (has not worn too well). The Bobby's is too new to tell. The high-end Stubbens seem to be really nice, but the cheaper ones leave a lot to be desired. And by all means, pass on a Passier. AWFUL things. They feel like cardboard.

I'm going to ride at some point today. I'm stressed about money because my disability has been suspended AGAIN, this time because of some stupid forms my doctor has to get back to them, and of course it has to be when my doctor is moving practices, and the forms are absolutely retarded and don't relate at all to my injury. I hate insurance companies, and since I used to work for one I am totally allowed to say that.

Tempi-That is interesting...there was an Old/Arab cross in out aisle at Wilmington last weekend. Crossing in Arabs seems to be very popular at the moment. What do you look for in an Arab when considering this cross? Are you doing any of the shows at Wilmington this year?

That's another good one, I've seen some nice oldenburgs that cross extremely well.

When I breed, I try to look at the individual objectively at their positive and negative attributes. If I'm breeding a maiden and I don't know what I'm going to get, I go with a sire who has foals on the ground especially out of that type and bloodline. Because this mare wasn't a maiden, and she had three prior foals, I kinda sorta knew what I was getting into (Savant is a sophmore sire).

When I look at an arab mare, I look at her hip, her neck, her bone, her gaits and above all- her temperament. Most arabians I've come to know over the years have a flat, short croup, decent walk, decent trot (more up and down than up and out) not so good jump-y canter and not so much bone. Most of them have decent temperaments, but run hotter than the average horse, lovely necks, good shoulders and bring refinement to the table.

So you breed to a sire that has thrown consistently good canters, excellent minds, super hips and puts bone on without losing that refinement. I liked Savant's lines due to the jumper bloodlines, but I liked him because he was a dressage horse. The books I deal with primarily (GOV, ISR, KWPN, SWANA and AHV) consistently throw good jumpers and dressage horses. You might have to look for a few sires that do have a niche though.

Yep I'll be swinging up that way soon enough to do CDT's stuff.

OK I am seriously bored out of my mind. I HATE being stuck inside, and it has been raining pretty much non-stop for 2.5 days. A cold front came thru, and then a tropical system came thru from the other direction. So the rain has just been stuck over us. It's not supposed to stop until at least Friday afternoon. If I had a barn that didn't leak RIGHT around the light, this would not be such a big deal. But when it rains like this, I can't use the light in my barn, so I can't even go out there and build jumps or anything like I wanted to do. And forget riding. My mare HATES rain, and the grass is just way too slippery for more than a slow trot. And I don't really like being cold and wet either.

GRRRR. I'm sure I could find something to do around the house, but none of it interests me in the least because I just hate being cooped up inside. It makes me very restless.

Shiloh, I feel your pain. I don't like being cooped up either. I'd rather be out in the barn or doing something outside. Even if we really need the rain!!

Rode in me new boots tonight. Wow, I have never had to break in a pair of tall boots before. I have only had Mtn. Horse Sportives which needed no break in time and then I got the Mtn. Horse Classics and they didn't need any break in time either. The new ones are the Ariat Hunter Dress Zip Boots. And while they weren't that bad, they weren't like instantly comfy either. They are much stiffer then the Mtn. Horse boots and once I got my right ankle to relax in them, I really like how they felt. They kept my leg steadier and I was able to use my legs better. They shouldn't take to long to break in, cause once I got to work, I forgot about them anyway!

My Son told me this afternoon that he was commended on his Science and Social Studies State mandated exams. You know, the ones where you have to pass or you don't graduate or move on to the next grade. He was also commended on Reading and while he wasn't commended on math, he did really well on the math. So I told him I was going to keep him cause he made me so proud! [Not Worthy] :happy0203:

Hey, I am actually finally going on a trail ride this Friday. We have a 4 day weekend and I am meeting a friend at a state park that has bridle trails. I have walked the trails before and they are really nice. Husband and son are coming along and bringing the dogs and hiking along behind us. My friend laughed when I told her that and she said "oh good, we have body picker uppers!" [ROTFL] I am really looking forward to this. Have not done anything like this in years and her horse is a youngster, well he's 6, but anyway, he has never been on a trail ride before. Should be interesting! We plan on going once a week all summer long.

Tempi-Thanks for the info...I am still deciding which direction to go with a stallion on her. I am not breeding until next Spring...I am entered at the June CDT show; will you be there? We could meet up!

Shiloh-I have to politely disagree on the Passier bridle...I LOVE mine. Everything else looks like crap eventually and this one looks like new. Not too stiff and cleans up nice. I wish I could afford one for Shelby too as the prices have really jumped on them. I prefer the crank nose bands on the "big headed" horses as I seem to be able to adjust them better.

ES-Congrats...and yes, don't listen to Sylves, she is an Ebay addict. I never go on there, but LOVE Craig's List!

Boocoo-Glad you like the boots. I have a pair of Ariat Hunter Dress that I school in and a pair of Ariat Maestro Dressage that I show in. I like them both.

The weather is just amazing here. Went to the trainer's to see the baby and went out for ice cream. I am scribing a schooling show for her in July which will be awesome! Had a nice ride on Beckham and worked Shelby in long lines. Everyone was nice and calm after all the long days they have had out in the sun. I broke out the fly sheets today and one of my mom's friends called me and wanted to know why Beckham had a blanket on today:-)

Ahg, we haven't had dinner yet...

Beckham, how long have you had your Passier? The ones I saw were from their newest line, maybe 2 years ago?

Tempi-Thanks for the info...I am still deciding which direction to go with a stallion on her. I am not breeding until next Spring...I am entered at the June CDT show; will you be there? We could meet up!

No, those dates I'm clinicing with Poulin. I'll be up in July to ride NDPC/CDT, and probably back again for their fall series.

Let me know her lines, and your budget. Perhaps I can help out.

Good news at the barn. The quarantine should be lifted in about two weeks. The two vets who have been treating the sick horses think that we have a virus and a single case of strangles. The mare with strangles was exposed last summer but never came down with it. The current theory is that she was a carrier until she caught the virus, which stressed her immune system enough to allow the strangles to develop into an active infection. All the sick horse have been swabbed to confirm the single strangles case. If there really is only one case of strangles, then the quarantine will be lifted two weeks after her lesions heal (which looks like it will happen this week).

Now, I'm apartment hunting to find a place that will take the dogs and not cost an arm and a leg. I thought I had a likely place that looked promising, but it turned out that it was already rented. So I'm back to looking. Hopefully I can find someplace in the next day or two.

I am looking forward to getting back on Fessor. My shoulder/back/neck is finally starting to relax and heal. Hopefully I can get back into the saddle without too much pain, or I'll have to take more time off. It has been a bit over two weeks since my last attempt at riding.

Graduation was fun! Mom and Dad were there, as were Aunt Linda, Uncle Paul, and Aunt Carole. The speakers didn't drone on for too long and were generally interesting. Then we had a family party on Saturday. Now I'm back into job hunting and studying mode. :)

Tracy

I haven't done a fly sheet yet, just his fly mask. I have been feeding Springtime Bugg off Garlic for about 6 years now and really helps. Beau is so sensitive, that when flies and other critters bite him he would be covered in huge welts all over his body. The Bugg off Garlic really helped eliminate that problem. Last summer I did have to put his body fly sheet and neck fly cover on him when we moved to our new house, cause he would rub all over the trees and get covered in sap! Yuck! And that stuff does not want to come off.

So my plan is to ride him at home tomorrow, then trail ride on Fri. lesson on Sat. then he gets a week off. I don't want to ride him anymore after that until this lady come out and does his feet.

Congratulations Tracy. So now you are an official Lawyer! That rocks! You worked hard. I really wish I could go back to school and finish my teaching degree. I would even be elgible for education aide assistance in the state of TX. But........... I would have to keep working to keep that going and I just can't see myself working and going to school and taking care of my family, place and horses and keep my showing going. So, not likely going to happen. Although, I did send for my college transcripts to see what I have that might apply toward a teaching degree. There may be a little glimmer of hope. My MIL did not get her masters degree until she was 60 years old!

Edited by Boocoo

Well, I'm ALMOST a lawyer. I still need to take and pass the bar. I DO have a law degree though. :D

Tracy

Hello, my name is Erin, and I am addicted to Ebay.

:tongue9:

Tracy, congratulations on the graduation! I hope you find a good home. When I moved from VA to Lincoln, NE, I had the hardest time finding a home that would allow large dogs. It was one of those "out of the blue" moments when I finally found the perfect home! Good luck to you!

Boocoo, Yey for your son doing so well on the ss, science and reading exams! Sounds like you have a good kid! What "grade/year" will he be next year?

Shiloh, Oh I see all of that lovely rain down south!!! Are you out of the drought now? Is the rain causing any serious problems? I heard beach erosion, but what about the farm ground? Hang in there; sunny days will return!

I attempted to ride Jaggar last night. His swelling on the fetlock joint has decreased slightly. As I was walking Jaggar to the mounting block, he did that weird - grunt and hop- maneuver. It was as if his hind legs locked up. I tried to rub his left stifle, and he flinched. He was standing with his hind legs way underneath his belly; he was visibly uncomfortable. I hand walked him some more, and mounted. We walked for about 5 minutes (I thought maybe he would walk out of it), but he just wasn't relaxing. I dismounted, and he jumped away from me as I was about to hit the ground. Poor guy.

I figured Jag was out again in his back. This morning Chad and I tried the adjustment that the chiro taught us, and I think it worked! I look forward to trying another ride soon.

The little munchkin was cute; I lunged her with the saddle and bridle. She goes out to the end of the lunge line! Then I rode her at the walk. She is responding to the whoa and turn aids. I'm also tapping my knee against the stirrup to mimick a light kick, and she took it okay!

Yay for ponies learning how to behave correctly! :) Hopefully your adjustment of Jaggar worked. Poor guy sounds like he was a bit sore.

I went back and looked at one of the complexes that I had looked at before. This time, I looked at a two bedroom unit. It's still not the most spacious, but the wood floors and radiator for heat will be wonderful for my dust allergies. I'll use the second bedroom for a study and doggie crate area (so I have a way to keep everything safe during thunderstorms). I will use part of the L shape living room as a dining area, and the rest for the couch and tv/stereo. Unless I decide to make the second bedroom into the living room area and use the living room for the desk and some book shelves for an office. We'll see. I still have time to decide how to lay things out. That apartment is available by the end of the week, so I could be moved in by the first of June. Best of all, it is maybe two miles from the barn. Five minutes and I'll be with the ponies. :D I'll just need to ask if they mind taking out the new carpet in the living room area... I'd rather just have the wood floors and wear slippers in winter to keep my feet warm.

Tracy