Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

Krazy - Congrats on your new purchase!! I am sorry to hear the breeding did not work, but that's great you have a new addition. He is gorgeous.

3 Day - Do you still have Scotch?

Boocoo - How's Beau doing?

Until recently, my mare, Arielle, was doing great. We did three (USDF/USEF recognized) shows this summer at Training and First Level. Our first show, we had scores through 71% at Training 4, and we got a 67% on our First Level (test 1) debut. We were also Jr/YR Training Level Highpoint. We had scores through 70% at Training Level at our next show, and a 66% at First 1. We were also Training Level Highpoint. Our most recent show was last weekend at Devonwood Equestrian Center in Sherwood, Oregon. All of my judges were FEI "I" and "O" judges, so the scores were on the lower side all around. We had scores through 66% at Training Level, and doing First 4 at our first show we got a 64%. We won two out of our four classes. Unfortunately, on the last day of the show, I went to groom Arielle for my Dressage Eq class and she had popped a huge splint on her right front. I scratched the ride, buted her, and cold hosed it. The vet came out on Wednesday, and said she'd probably need six weeks of no riding. They came back out on Thursday and injected it so that the size of the splint will decrease so that cosmetically it'll look better. Arielle does need six weeks off, and she can finally get some turnout starting Monday. (She is tearing down her stall, even though she's only been in it a few days).

I am very disappointed because it means we will not be able to attend the USDF Regional Championships, but thank God that it is not a serious/long term injury.

In addition to riding Arielle, I've been riding a Fjord stallion. I took 4 lessons on him, and decided to wing it and take him to a recognized show. We competed at Third Level, and got a 62% at Third 1 and a 64% at Third 3. I now only need one more score for my USDF Bronze Medal, and if I can get a 60% or above at Third 3 at our next show, I'll take him to Regionals in September.

Overall I've been doing well. Summer seems to be flying by. I cannot believe I'll be a senior...then off to college. I am very excited though.

Can't wait to continue to hear your guys' news! :)

Luv, congrats on doing so well with Arielle. We need some pictures please!! See how nice I asked? :winking: That is a shame about the splint, but like you said, not a serious injury and she will recover. Thank goodness.

Went out and took Beau's wrap off this a.m. The swelling is going down significantly, there is no heat, and he is bearing full weight. I hand walked him again and re-wrapped the furacin wrap. He is doing better each day. I plan to continue the above therapy and give him at least 10 days off.

Off to shower for church now!

Champ got skunked.

Shantel, That would be enough to give me nightmeres! Could it be time to get a professional out there to terminate the spiders? Sounds kind of serious.

Shiloh, Getting closer to the wedding, yeah? Are you getting excited? Sorry to hear about Lucy's canter. I say, keep working through it.

Boocoo, Did Beau get hurt when he was freaking out about the buzzards? Hope he's better.

Luv, Nice to meet you! We have two equines-a 15 yr old OTTB gelding, Jaggar who is recovering from a staph infection and a 3 yr old shetland/mini cross filly, Jade who is doing wonderfully in her training. She'll be our daughter's pony. I live in NW Iowa where there is minimal English riding. I grew up in Northern Virginia and evented and pony clubbed. My husband is Chad; he's a horse person too.

Hahahah; Champ:-) We have tons of skunks and my barn gets it all the time...it really sucks and I feel your pain!!!

Doing homework and scribed all day yesterday; will catch up tonight with everyone!

Unfortunately, stretching the hip does nothing for the pain. It makes it less stiff so I CAN move it, but it still hurts. I think I need to go see the chiro again.

Luv, that sucks about your mare. At least it's just a short-term thing though.

Boocoo, glad to hear Beau is feeling better. You said its his tendon? How did you reach that conclusion? Given that my mare has always been sound (until recently), I am uneducated in these things.

Boocoo- Bummer about Beau! Are you putting DMSO on Beau just out of curiousity? But glad that the swelling has gone down! Whew!

Shantel- Just reading your post gave me the hebejeebees! ICK ICK. I hate spiders. AHH! And Rex is looking so cute! What a cute boy!

Shiloh- I'm going to try the Epsom salt route. 2 tablespoons to start right?

Sylves- EWWW. I bet he is really smelly. That is the worst smell to get out of a dog.

Beckham- I'm still here! :) Just reading the thread mostly as I've been contemplating a lot of things in my life right now. Ya know bla bla bla...*sigh*

Mckenzie- Wonderful scores you've had w/ your mare! So glad that things were going well. At least her injury is nothing major. Sounds like the stallion is fun! Third level cool! Congrats on your scores w/ him too! WTG! I can't remember is this your senior year of HS? Or did graduate?

Yes pictures are needed! :) And yes I still have Scotch! He's doing very very well!

Scotch has been feeling fabulous and sound. He didn't break from XC schooling! Sally wants to convert us back to eventing. haha. But I'm thinking we might do half and half. Tomorrow we are going schooling again. He really enjoyed himself last week. And has one heck of a jump in him. Sally adored him ;) OH and ponyboy might be heading to Mr. Trainer's for 2weeks to a month of bootcamp. I have never had a professional ride him...so this will be an experience for both of us!

Sylves, yes Beau hurt his ankel when he was freaked out about the buzzards.

Shiloh, no it is not his tendon, thank God. The ankle was swollen, more on the inside toward the bottom of it and there are 3 pockets of fluid. One on the inside and two on the outside. He has always had race ankles anyway, but never any problems and he doesn't get stocked up or wind puffs. He must have torked it good with is trotting up and down the fence line and the sand was getting worked up and got deeper and deeper the longer he did it. He had to have been at it a while, cause was worked up into a full blown lather. Took me another 30 min. to catch him, poor guy was so scared. I hosed him down good then and watched him all day long, He was moving around normally and the ankle showed no signs of swelling until the next morning. I noticed it first thing when I went out to feed. So at least the swelling goes down every day and there is no heat and he is walking on it.

I am doing a DMSO/Furacin sweat wrap on it every day. It is working!!! I think 3day asked if I was using DMSO? And glad Scotch is going sound for you these days! That is marvelous.

Sylves, I will check out those projectors when I get home. Off to a dressage dvd ecuational night. We had a dog get skunked one time in OK at my MIL's. I was pulling a horse trailer back to Tucson that I had sold to a friend. We gave her a tomato juice bath. Sure helped a lot. She still had to ride in the trailer all the way home though!

Boocoo, LOL about the dog! I just found out that hydrogen peroxide and baking soda do wonders for de-skunking!

Okay, I know I'm insanely insane, but I'm bidding on ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170361204721

... this one... The seller could defnitely work on his grammar, but oh well... I debated seriously as to whether I wanted to deal with this seller or not, but I lost a good deal on another projector, so I figure I'll try this one... It should work with my Dell laptop, wouldn't you think?!

Lauren, for a pony I would start with 2T. If he is on the large size of pony, you could go up to 3T, but I wouldn't really do much past that. My boarder's mare, who is 900 to 1000lb and right at 14.2h, seems to do best on 3T instead of 2T, if that gives you an idea. Lucy is about 1200lb and she gets 4T (1/4 cup). I actually just took some myself, and it does wonders for me. My hip started feeling somewhat better within about 30 minutes, and all the muscle spasms up my back and neck have subsided too.

I was right about my hip though. They are crooked again. Right one is 1/2" lower than the left. Calling the chiro tomorrow.

Lucy had some good work this evening. I let her warm up at a trot and canter on a long rein, not stretching so much as in a neutral position (head straight out for her). Then I did some lateral work, which totally sucked at first. I did get some nice collected canter on the right lead offered to me though, which was nice. Ended on a decent SI in each direction. I've had to quit with the HI for now though because she's been fishtailing since I started her back in work.

Beau, that makes sense with the injury. Like I said, I have really always had sound horses, so when one of mine does come up a bit off I am at a total loss.

Sylves, good luck with the projector.

Shantel, I responded on your thread on COTH about the spiders. I really think you need two male runner ducks. I will be up your way the middle of August, so I could always bring them with me. They can't fly, and are friendly as long as you're not another bird with nowhere to escape (poor little fuzzy rooster). They were picking on my chickens today (who I let out of the chicken pen for some free-range time). My FIL has enquired about having them for dinner, and I am about to the point where I just might let him because I am so mad at them for picking on my chickens. The chickens have no idea how to get away, they just stand there and take it.

Shiloh, considering Beau ran on the track and then ran barrels, he has always been remarkably sound. He did get sore when I used to run barrels, but he is just too big. After I quit running barrels on him he quite getting sore. The only other issue I had with him has been his feet and that was after I'd owned him for 5 years. That was caused by a farrier. But we're working on that as well. What is a runner duck? I want one. Can you bring me one to Texas? [ROTFL]

Sylves, anytime an ad has bad grammar I stay away cause I think of those guys that try to scam people by sending you a check for too much $$ and expecting you to mail them the difference. So be very wary.

Runner ducks are the ones who stand upright. They are usually white with brownish patches. They don't waddle like normal ducks do, they run. They also cannot fly. One of ours has an afro too. He's a crested/runner cross. The other one is likely the same cross, but without the 'fro.

They are really sweet ducks, though not terribly "friendly". They just aren't cuddly, but then most ducks aren't. They are really cool to watch, and they have this singsong quack. They seem to be helping with the fly population too since they got kicked out of their happy home.

If I were closer, I would give them to you. They keep trying to beat up my chickens. And I just adore that little frizzle rooster. He looks like a fuzzy, waddling ball of fluff.

I seriously love having ducks though, because they are just hilarious to watch. They have a kiddie pool that they play in. The boys are more entertaining than the girls. But then the girls get along peacefully with all the chickens :)

And runner ducks must eat spiders? How about scorpions? Will they eat them too? I have a pond, but it's getting very low from lack of rain!

Off to take care of Beau's leg now.

I ended up winning a Proxima http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT . I'm not expecting anything magnificant, but I do hope very much that it works in my classroom.

Animax ointment is awesome stuff!!! Jag's wound is healing nicely and quickly. I turned the ponies out to grass... finally. It took till now to get the grass hay cut and baled! Now the kids have a nice pasture with short grass!

MCKENZIE!

hi.

It is so nice to hear from you again! I'm so sorry about Arielle's splint, that really is a bummer but at least you two were doing so well before it so you know when you are bringing her back that all the necessary tools are there. As for the stallion, I can't believe you manage to pull those scores off after such little time together! Truly amazing. I would love to see photos and see your riding nowadays.

I must be getting old; Mckenzie was here before me, I believe, and Sylves joined this chit-chat after she left, I suppose. Jeesh. Too much time on HC.

Sylves, I'm doing better, thank you very much. A lot of progress has been made in the past couple of weeks but this type of injury takes time, you know? So I feel good one day and wobbly the next. Such is life! I'm getting LOADS of testing done this weeks, all day testing. Icky. But it is important to develop a baseline for my health records for when I go off to college in August (24th!!). Goucher College is being incredibly helpful and supportive. Because of my situation they hooked me up with their Disability Director of sorts to file for temporary disability to help with my head's transition to college. I'm a 100% ready, but no one is sure if my brain is ready. So yeah, that is the update!

The mountains were beautiful. I'll post pictures when I can! I'll be leaving to go back up at the end of the week so I got to go see The Pony today. That little bugger was fat, rude, and quite content! He wasn't happy to see me as last time but it was hot, humid and he was in one of those "moods" so I keep my pampering time to a minimum. He is was much happier once I turned him out.

I snapped a few shots which I might upload tonight! Nothing special, just a sleepy pony in crossties and a happy pony trading me in for his friends, but I find them cute.

All ducks will eat bugs, and I'm sure they will eat the smaller spiders too. They're probably not going to eat the really huge ones. They will just keep the bugs down, so the spiders won't have anything to eat and will thus find somewhere else to live.

You know Shantel, when you get around to finishing off your tack room you should use some cedar if you can afford to. Bugs really don't like the smell of cedar. Hence why they used cedar to made cedar chests. You could store your belongings and not worry about the bugs eating them.

Boocoo ? How scary with Beau and the buzzard. Glad you were able to get him settled down, but that is probably when he tweaked something. Good thing you got him settled as quickly as you did, or it might have been a lot worse. Glad to hear he is recovering. Hey, do you put the MTG in a spray bottle, or just the light oil?? I tried to put the MTG in a spray bottle, but it was too thick and just seized up the sprayer mechanism which is what I thought would happen.

c.s.a. ? Hope the new bit works. Corn oil can make them hot, so definitely pull her off of it.

Shantel ? Glad to hear you escaped the hornets. Not sure I would have taken the time to have brought the lawn mower with me in my escape!! HA!! Okay, not a HUGE fan of the spiders in the tack room, especially IN the wraps, BUT the spiders eat the mosquitoes and such, so I really don?t like to kill them. As long as they don?t take up residence IN my wraps!!! Gotta draw the line somewhere.

McKenzie ? Good to hear from you. I think I missed out on you getting a new horse. She sounds wonderful. Those are some great show scores. Sorry to hear about the splint taking you out of showing, but at least she will make a full recovery. As for me, I sold Razzle in October as I had maxed him out at 2nd/3rd level. Found him a great home with an adult beginner rider. Spent the next 8 months searching for a new horse. I just bought a 4yo 17.2hh Andalusian/TB cross gelding named Lieto from Paul Belasik. He is fantastic. Just loving him. Definitely 4yo, but a ton of potential, and a really fantastic brain.

3Day ? Bootcamp for Scotch?? Oh no!! Better not tell him!! HA!!!

Shiloh ? Hope the hip is feeling better. Perhaps if you stretch it out before you ride, it won?t get so sore. The yoga has helped me a ton with flexibility so that I don?t get that kind of pain anymore when riding.

Sylves ? Glad to hear Jag is doing well. Sorry to hear Champ got skunked. That is the worst smell to get out of a dog.

Dobby ? Glad to hear you had a good time in the mountains. Waiting on pics!!

So the trainer that rode with me on Saturday morning confirmed for me that Lieto is stretching nicely into my hand, is forward enough and through his back. WOO-HOOO!! That?s what I needed to hear!! Just nice to know that I?m not running him around the arena all the time plowing him onto his forehand. PHEW!! Hard to tell on a new horse that you are not familiar with though. Thought I was doing okay, but nice to get the confirmation. Still waiting on Julie to get back from vacation to set up a lesson. I?m going to try to drag Jack out to the barn with me at some point to get new video/pics. Just don?t know when. Working on it though!!

~Shelly~

Shiloh, I had no idea ducks eat bugs. How cool is that?

Smithereens, I put the M-T-G and the No. 1 Light oil in spray bottles. I get those super sonice spray bottles in the garden dept. at Walmart. They work great and last forever. I use those for fly spray too. On the M-T-G you have to shake it up realy good. I hit the bottom of the bottle on the palm of my hand. Then the super sprayers help dispurse it better. Hope you get some pics of Lieto soon. Would love to see them.

Beau's ankle does not have any more swelling around the fluid pockets. It's looks it's normal big self. But the fluid pockets are still there. They are not hot and not tender to the touch. He is totally walking normal now. I hand walked him this a.m. and then went ahead and wrapped with the furazin/DMSO saran wrap. Think I will keep that up for another 5 to 6 days at least and the hand walking. I don't plan to ride him until next Mon. after I get home from a mysterious weekend out of town! [Question] [Crazy]

Edited by Boocoo

Boocoo-Mysterious weekend? Well I hope it is at least fun.

smithereens-It is always nice to be able to double check things are going right. So to repeat Boocoo....Pics please.

shiloh-How many ducks do you have? I used to work at a farm with way to many. They would swarm you at feeding time. Things could get nasty if you didn't feed them first. Glad to hear Lucy's canter has evened out a bit. So how many days until the big day?

Dobby-Glad to hear the college is willing to work with you. That must be a big relief. Can't wait to see pics fdrom your trip.

KTM-Your lesson pics look awesome.

So I took Cheese off the corn oil. She got a couple days off to detox from it. I decided to do some jumping today to channel any extra energy left. She was fantastic. I jumped her for 15 min and did some flat work. Her walk was amazing at the end.She tossed her head around less. I really do think the Oring was to much noise. I am hoping to able to go to Green Lane (a local park with trails) on Thursaday with a friend.We haven't been able to ride together in ages.Hitting a tack sale on Saturday.

Note to self do not get another kitten. To much energy. Adopt an older cat. Melvin is a little terror. He also has an annoying habit of waking me up 2 hours before my alarm goes off to be petted.

CSA that's great Cheese was better. Maybe taking her off Corn Oil will do the trick. Do you have her on Magnesium at all? That reall helps chill Beau out.

Yes, a Mysterious weekend!!! [Question] Will definitely be fun. More on that later! :tongue9: Beau is improving every day. I am looking forward to riding him again, I believe I will do that on Monday.

Getting all my closets cleaned out, clothes sorted and paperwork shredded and/or filed. But it feels good.

Helloooo everybody! I know I've been MIA for awhile. I got behind reading everybody's news then kept thinking I should go back and read what I missed before jumping back in, but of course never found time to do that. So, I'll just catch up as I go.

smithereens - Congrats on Lieto. He's gorgeous!!! He's a big boy, too. Are you starting to get used to it? Can't wait to see more pics :)

boocoo - Sorry to hear Beau's ankle. I didn't read about the "buzzard incident" but it sounds like it was no fun. Mysterious weekend, eh? Would that be one set up by your hubby as a surprise?

c.s.a. - Have fun on the trail and at the tack sale!!! Love that kind of stuff.

Dobby - Sounds like the groundwork for a good start at college is being laid out already. That's awesome! Can't wait to see your mountain pics!

KrazyTB - YUCK! Spiders! I'm feeling all creepy-crawly just reading your post. Ick. Your lesson pics look nice!! Pretty Layla.

Sylves - Yay for Jag being fine! Glad you finally got the x-rays and don't have to worry any more :)

Let's see, as far as Echo and I go, things have been going great at the new barn. I love having a dressage arena to work in with nice footing. Echo is coming right along and in our lesson last weekend my instructor and I were talking about the show we're doing in October (our first one!) and my instructor said I should start learning all of the the Training Level tests. We had just been planning to do Intro, since it's our first show and we haven't been thrilled with our canter work, but she said we've come a long way and she thinks X is ready to compete Training Level. So, I'm pretty excited to keep on practicing until October and our big debut!

One bummer is that Echo had a little sore in her jowl area on Sunday so I put some Swat on it and figured everything would be fine. She had Monday off (well deserved) after a solid week of work last week, but when I went out to the barn Tuesday AM the sore was bigger and "angry" looking! Not infected, but like habronema had gotten to it (if anybody doesn't have those, they're tiny fly larvae. The flies lay their larvae in sores and then the sores get super nasty. you guys might know of them as "summer sores" too because it's only when the flies are out, so lots of people call them that). Yuck! So, I went out a good six times yesterday (every 2 - 3 hours) cleaning it and putting on new Swat to keep the flies away, and have the vet coming out today. It already looks much better, but I'm not taking any chances because habronema sores can get really bad really fast out here. Yuck! Poor X :(

Edited by e.s.dressage

E.S. been wondering where you've been? That's great your ready to show training level. That will be a lot of fun.

Those Habronema can be very bad news. The girl that owned my old mare, battled that one summer with her. She had to have 6 surgeries to cut the infection they caused, out of her jaws. They came back again the next summer and she had to have 3 surgeries that summer. They are very bad news. She couldn't put a bit in her mouth for a good year due to the surgeries, so she started riding her in a hackamore. That's great you are having the Vet. out a.s.a.p. Hope you get it cleared up quickly.

CSA, we have 4 ducks. The two females are in the chicken pen. The males got booted out after they beat up my precious frizzle rooster. They still hang around though.

I rode Lucy last night and she is really stretching down nicely in the trot and canter. I am going to do more stretchy work with her for the next two weeks to build up the topline again. She's pretty stiff in the free walk though, which has me a bit concerned. She warms up out of the stiffness at the trot and canter, and her medium and collected walks are fine, but the free walk is not this huge swingy walk that it was. She's sound trotting on pavement though, which is good. At least she's not footsore.

Have any of yall messed with the feedxl.com website? They have a free trial right now. I put all 4 horses in it last night and adjusted things around some. I do want to play a bit more with Annie though, because her phosphorous is low according to the program. And I really think that if I give her 1.5lb of rice bran a day to get that up, she will be FAT.

Brain is going all over the place...

I did read but cannot reply to everyone right now.

Im pretty sure that I posted like 3-4 weeks ago that my old hygienist and receptionist both quit and we got 2 new girls.

Well they are both fabulous. And Dr was being nice - for 2 weeks. Then he started being the total pee pee head that he is. He was all over the new receptionist and talking down to her and being NASTY. She went home crying multiple times. Its horrible.

So of course she is looking for a new job. She had been interviewing at this FABULOUS office and I was half joking to ask if they needed an assistant. Well this AM they called and offered her the job. Shes estatic. Well how about last night, they posted a job for an assistant??? I believe they didnt want to have to interview for 2 different jobs at the same time.

So of course Im getting my resume updated and turning it in.

Im just stressed because I have experience with 2 dentists - my boss now and the jerkhead I had before. They are also... well "friends". They speak and have a study group together.

I know the moment my ex boss gets a call about me working there he will be on the phone with my current boss. And if I dont get the job.. well yeh. You can imagine how it looks.

Of course if Im not totally happy I cant just not apply for fear of him finding out. So I AM going to apply Im just nervous.

Also I dont think I posted that I came home from work last night to find Rex with a piece of flesh hanging from his lower jaw right where the velcro would go for a fly mask.

Apparently he stuck his head between the wood fence and pulled back and cut himself. I called my vet to see if I could email her a pic to see if she felt he could wait until the AM but she happened to be 1/4 a mile away so swung by. He needed stitches and he stood perfectly for me with just a halter and regular lead rope while she shoved the big needle in the wound to numb it and placed the stitches. Hes such a good baby horse.

But hes on antibiotics for a week and I have to keep it clean and all. And of course hes getting this sore on his midline - like a summer sore. So Im fighting that too. But hes doing good considering.

So Shiloh after reading your posts on these Runner Ducks I had to go and google them. And OMG they are awesome! I read an article on them and learned a whole slew of things about them! You are so lucky to have them! I wouldn't mind having them now! They are very unique in their stance...so cool! Do you have pictures of yours? And thanks...he'll be starting them next week. Is their a certain brand that I shoudl buy?

ES- Welcome back! Glad that Echo is doing well! Still enjoying your new digs? Good luck w/ the sore! eep!

Shelly- Oh yes he won't know what will hit him! Bootcamp bahahahah! And his double bridle will be going with him too. He may or may not be ready to for it by that time, but Mr. Trainer wants to have it just in case.

Boocoo- YAY for no swelling? How is he trotting up? Sound? And mysterious weekend....oooooo enjoy!

Shantel- Yikes! Poor Rex glad that no other damage was done to his face. Sorry to hear about your job. Sounds stressful to say the least.

We had another excellent day XC schooling on Monday. My ponyboy is a XC beast. And he may start eventing in the fall! How fun! Figured that he can play w/ eventing while we are still becoming more confirmed @ 2nd level. And with him jumping again I can really see a different spark and attitude towards his flatwork!

3day, I haven't trotted him yet. That's a good idea. I will do that in the a.m. Glad your XC schooling is going so well for Scotch. That's awesome. I will have to go google the runner ducks also.

Shantel, it is illegal for any employer to give anyone a bad or negative reference. So follow through if you suspect anything. Good luck on getting the job. Sounds like you could use a change.

Went to have dinner with DH tonight and went to B & N and read a horse Vet. book.

I don't have any pics of them, but they look just like most of the pics of runner ducks that I have seen, only one has a 'fro, and their heads are a bit more rounded. If I didn't want to occasionally let the chickens out, I would have no issues with them. But my FIL has two fat white female ducks, and he's wanting to serve them for the post-wedding party he is throwing us down here, so I am considering letting him serve ducky and quack-quack instead, and we will take his ducks. I just don't know. They have so much personality normally, or they did as young ducks. Now they get chased around by my little dogs sometimes, and they just wander around the outside of the chicken pen trying to get back in. And they cannot fly, so sooner or later they may very well end up dinner for something anyway.

They could go in the mail though if anyone does want them. You can mail ducks overnight in a special box. Dunno what it costs though.

Lauren, the brand of epsom salts doesn't matter. I just buy the kind from WalMart because they are the cheapest. I'm actually considering lowering Lucy's dose a bit here soon. She's become almost lazy. Her walk is so...slow.

I've been drinking epsom salts in milk or lemonade for the past 3 or 4 days now. Now more super tense shoulders! I love those things.

Shantel, hopefully the job thing works out just fine. And Rex is such a good boy!! My filly is the same way. I can worm her and give her shots with no halter. Last summer when she ripped her nose opened, she let me treat it twice a day with no halter either. Some of these babies are just so wonderful!

Boo, its not negative feedback Im worried about. Im worried that my ex boss will contact my current boss and give him the FYI about me looking for another job.

Plus, after MUCH research, in Florida, as long as the ex employer believes that what they are saying is truthful, they can say whatever they want. We also dont have to have a 2 weeks notice or any reason to be fired or to quit, we can just leave. Thats how Fla is. Oh and we can use deadly force if someone enters our property and we feel threatened. lol

3Day, glad you had a good schooling again.

shiloh, I need to try the epsom salt thing. Do you taste it?

Am going to research the duck thing... maybe you can bring them with you on your way up here next month? lol

Shantel, if you want the duckies, and Jake's cool with it, you can have them. Get them a kiddie pool and feed them occasionally, and they will entertain you for hours. I just no longer have anywhere to lock them up at night because they beat up my rooster and other chickens, and my little rooster can't fly too awful well either, and the other chickens are just dumb. They are chickens after all.

Oh, on the epsom salts, I mix them into chocolate milk, or scrambled eggs, of gatorade, or lemonade, or spaghetti sauce, and I don't taste them at all. But you really just use a small pinch for a human. Like not even a dime-sized amount. If I feel I need more, I can always take more. Can't take less. A human weighs a lot less than a horse, so it's easier to overdose us :) If you've ever had to do the mag citrate before a surgery, the overdose ain't too fun.

Shantel, do you feed lysine? If not, how much feed or alfalfa are all of yours getting? I just cut it out for Lucy, but wondering about the others. FeedXL says I shouldn't need it, but then it also says Lucy shouldn't need the extra magnesium. I beg to differ, as she SO does. It also says she doesn't need any extra Se or E, but I am still giving her the one gram extra for now. When the bottle runs out, I'll take her off it and see if I notice a difference.

KrazyTB - I've been where you are, wanting a new job but afraid of losing the current job in the process. So stressful! I really hope you get the job at the new place, because I know how much a nasty boss can affect every aspect of your life. It's impossible not to take it home with you! Been there? fingers crossed for you!

3Day - GO XC PONY! Yayyyy!

Boocoo - Yep, the habro are nasty! After a (very spendy - ouch) vet bill, Echo's doing great. She's on antibiotics for the wound and all the swelling around it is already gone. The vet is doing a biopsy to fins out just what caused the infection (she opened it up and there was pus), but it looks like the antibiotics are taking care of things. Still have to go out there several times a day to clean and apply new ointment to the wound, which I don't mind but I do have a friend coming into town for a few days so it limits the things we can go do (i.e. no all day trips anywhere) but tha's OK. X is worth it :)

Oh, and the vet gave me a great tip on how to keep the flies away from the wound on her jowl, which I was having trouble keeping covered without wrapping her head in vetwrap. She said to use queen size pantyhose with holes cut for the eyes and ears! Here's a pic:

photo.jpg

Also, I wasn't using her fly mask because it would rub the wound, and already her sensetive right eye was puffing up from the fly irritation, as you can see in the pic. With the pantyhose I don't have to worry about the fly mask rubbing it. Now, all's back to normal, except my baby has panties on her head! It's the barn joke now, lol.