Sign in to follow this  
Beckham03

Dressage Chit Chat #26

ES. that's interesting that your horse is very close to the barn where my friend had her mare that had the habronema. She ended up moving her to the east side the following summer and they did not comed back. Then she moved her back that winter and they fortunately did not come back the next summer. I know the barn did a major fly control program after that. The panty hose are a great idea and I hope you didn't tell X she had panties on her head! She looks adorable! [ROTFL]

Edited by Boocoo

SO I had a good ride on Lucy today, but it's going to be my last one for a week or possibly till after the wedding. I was putting Mir's fly sheet back on after repairing it, and he decided to be rude and try to walk away, only he STOMPED on my toe in the process. Within the 5 minutes it took me to get back into the house, it was already bruising. Not too sure if the nail will end up falling off. I'm about 99% sure it has to be broken. Contemplating going to get it xrayed and getting one of those foot thingies tomorrow.

Being the horseperson that I am, of course I finished putting on his fly sheet while insisting that he stand still before I tended to my toe. Thankfully my fiance was out there with me, so he helped hobble me back into the house. Also thankfully, I had a tetanus shot about 2.5 years ago.

shiloh, were you around 2 Xmas' ago when Layla accidently stepped on my foot on Xmas eve? I ended up in the ER due to my toe nail SLIDING OFF when I reached down to see if my toe was broken. YUCK.

It didnt hurt when it happened but omg.. the healing afterwards. So freaking painful. It took a good 6 months for it not to hurt just to wear loose tennis shoes. I hope yours fairs better than mine.

I turned in my resume last night. Lets see what happens. My boss is being extra nasty to the receptionist and then goes "Are you sure you want to leave? I dont have to do all these interviews if you want to stay" yeh right! After being a total **** ****! Please pray for me that this new job works out. It really sucks being associated with someone who treats patients and people in general like he does. It is just not indicitive of my nature!

About to go to bed. Sarah is coming over early to hopefully ride. Its so freaking wet AGAIN. But she promised me Bean Street hot chocolate so Ill be up. Then Ill head into the office for a tiny but to take care of some things (and get more hours!) and then its laundry, laundry, laundry. Blech.

Rex's cut looks fantastic. Actually way better than that sore on his belly. I did the double dose Equimax and then followed it up with double dose Ivermectin and now hes getting signs of the NTWs... I think Im going to double dose him with Equimax again seeing as hes getting these sores now.

But can I say I *LOFF* Alushield. Its the best thing ever invented.

Anyways... almost 1 am. 8am comes early.

Night!

Shioh, when is the wedding? I can't remember. Hope your foot feels better. I know how that feels. Beau stepped on mine about 3 months ago when I was clipping him. It was so bad I had to take a day off work. It took a long time to heel, even after the bruising and swelling went down.

Krazy, jingles for the job.

I longed Beau yesterday. Stayed right behind him and made sure he did really big circles. He seems to be walking and troting out just fine. In fact, he had a lovely nice forward trot. We'll see how it goes.

Off to pick me son up from camp now.

3Day-Where are you schooling at? I am looking for places to school at. I found a place off of 100 but have no idea what the place is like. Yeah new places scare me.

ES-Glad to see you agai. Poor X has to wear panties on his head. Speaking of weddings,isn't yours slowly coming up as well?

shiloh-Take care of that toe. You don't want to be limping down the aisle.

KTM-Finger crossed all goes well with the job stuff. A friend of mine loves Alushield. I haven't tried it yet. Keep thinking about it though.

Boocoo-I just put Cheese on a mag supplement. However I am doing a little more research into it and probably will switch it. Have a fun weekwnd.

Well I didn't get to go trail ride yesterday. My friend was bringing a few students. Some are just walking on the trails. Not fun. The place we were planing on going to has natural fences and a couple places that are perfect for a canter. So I opted out. I hopped on Cheese bareback. Had the most comfy canter on the bad lead. I guess those muscles are finally getting built up equally. I think I can start doing some serious canter work now. Did some really nice walk work. I tend to stiffen up in the hips at the walk. Harder to do that bareback. I won't be able to ride until Sun. now. Oh well. At least I get to go tack shopping tomorrow.

Shantel, hang in there. Hope you get to interview for the job. Plus, perhaps it might not be half bad if you lose your current job. I hope Rex is better soon. Good thing the vet was so close that evening!

ESD, I like the hose idea! Solves many problems! I'll remember that trick for future reference!

Boocoo, Summer just began, and now it's almost over... I think I'm going to cry. Hope Beau is good to go by Monday! I think Jag will be ready for a ride soon. I almost tried him out yesterday, but Chad needed me to babysit Shannon. I think I might try tonight... Jag's wound is healing nicely, thanks to Animax!

Shiloh, yey, the wedding is approaching! I saw a runner duck yesterday at the fair- they're funny looking creatures!

Well, as I already wrote, I do believe I will give Jag a test ride today... Keep it simple and easy. Next, I will speak seriously with Chad about hock injections.

I don't want my summer vacation to end... :-(

CSA, why are you taking Cheese off the Magnesium? I have Beau on Ultra-Gard, which is for Ulcers and has some Mag. in it. I really like how it settles him down.

Sylves, I can not believe I only have two weeks left till I go back to work. When do you go back? Those are great pictures. The one of you and Shannon needs to be blown up and framed. Fabulous shot!

I will check back in after my mysterious weekend. I know what I am going to be doing, and my dh of course, but nobody else does!!! :confused0024: It's a mystery!! :winking:

Sylves-Wow Shannon is getting big.

Boocoo-Not taking her off the mag. completely. Just swithcing to a different brand that will be better for her.

Took Amore off the epsom salts- they were a hassle and she didn't like them, plus, if anything, she was more difficult over the last week. Nothing to do with that, probably, but they didn't help anything.

Hum... should we all make guesses as to what Boocoo will be doing this weekend?

I say she's looking at or buying a horse... Yeah, I got the idea from Smithereens, lol!

Boocoo, We have our first staff meeting on the 12th. I'm excited about the new year because I have so many cool things to teach the kids, but I'm hanging onto the last 12 days of summer because I am just beginning to REALLY enjoy my Summer break, AND I'm just starting back with Jaggar. I tried him out yesterday for a 15 minute walk. He felt as good as ever. Gotta look into Cosequin and hock injections. Plus, the trailer is in getting welded back together (fixed up, rewired, etc) and we just recently installed the fifth wheel hitch. All ready to go, but no where to go to! I might take Jag to a little Western Pleasure show at the Marcus Fair in two weeks. Slap on a western saddle and curb bit and see how slow we can jog!

Sylves, I thought the same thing. She's looking at a horse!

The wedding is in 2 weeks. Everything is pretty much done, except my fiance's brother has been a bit of a pain about suits. He is the kind who wants everyone to rework their lives to suit his needs. And I finally told Jake that he could stop inconveincing himself to make his brother happy when his brother is just being difficult. But everything else seems to be falling into place.

The toe is amazingly not broken, though I am not sure how. Its just severely bruised. It feels sorta like an overstuffed sausage. They gave me one of those fancy shoes to make walking easier since I busted the big toe on my good leg. So my hip is hurting even more from hobbling around.

That sucks shiloh!

Riley trotted around a bit in his pen this am when I went to bring him in to eat . . . and he looked sound!! Halfway through the time off- one more month before I can hop on him, all things going well!

Great news KTS!! Keep it up Rileymon!

shiloh, I hate when people forget that the wedding is YOUR (you and your fiances) day! Ugh. Dont stress it though.

I bet Boo is looking at a horse too. How exciting.

So I did the FeedXL website shiloh posted.

All 3 need more B1 and folic acid. Ben and Layla both need iodine and sodium. And Ben needs more Se/E.

So I am going to talk to Sarah about putting him on the Se/E/Mag supplement I have and we can split the cost and then buy one of those HUGE tubs of iodized salt from the grocery store for the sodium and iodine.

As far as the B1 and folic acid.. Im going to research that and see if there is something that contains both.

Its disgustingly humid and hot today. Let the ponies out on the house side to eat grass. They all love to stand on the drain field.

No news from any of the jobs I applied for but it is the weekend.

Gunna go chill and try to stay cool.

Shantel, have you looked at scrapping the RB and feeding SmartVite? That's what I am doing, and the only thing they need is some sodium. They have a salt block, so that takes care of that. It's a lot cheaper to do it that way than to keep adding things to make up for what you are missing. Lucy is the only one who has been a bit funny recently, but she's not been getting enough phosphorous because she refuses to eat grass, and I had been feeding her the grass SmartVite. Switched her to the alfalfa one and added back the rice bran, and everything balances nicely.

Yeah, for the most part everyone has been fine with accepting that this is MY wedding (and the fiance's too of course). It's just been a couple people who have been difficult. Fiance's brother over the suit shopping, but he's just like that. My sister was really rude and critical last time I was in KY, over pretty much everything. But she has gotten to be like that in general too. One family member made non-refundable flight and hotel reservations pretty much right after we got engaged, when we were still figuring out details. And then has not failed to throw it in our faces that we changed the location of the wedding. Of course, their "non-refundable" flights have mysteriously been cancelled. These particular relatives are far from hurting financially. Jr bridesmaid has been very vocal about disliking every possibility for dress colors, but again she is very critical of pretty much everything, even things her 9-yo self knows nothing about. But that's pretty much it. Everyone else has been pretty gracious with allowing us to have things as we want them.

shiloh, the reason I havent switched to something other than a RB is due to calories. The things like Smartvite and all dont contain any calories and I need as many as I can get for Layla and Rex. And the Smartvites are a little (like $5-10) more a month but then I would have to spend more to get more calories. And pooey on anyone making a fuss about any of those things you just mentioned. Id tell them, look figure it out or dont come. But its not your responsibility to do everything for your guests.

Got Jills horses fed and barn cleaned and then came home, cleaned my barn and fed my ponies, and about 30 mins later the skies opened up. It is POURING outside. Like whoa. Or like my dad would say, like a cow pissing on a flat rock.

Today the moms and I cleaned out the "panic room". LOL The closet under the stairs. Got a lot of dolphin things to put on craigslist and try to sell.

Gunna go shower and TRY to go get some dinner with the moms if the rain lets up. Oh and also got Layla some T/A instead of the coastal to help with the calories and what not. Its OK hay nothing special but my hay guy is coming either next week or the week after from Canada with LOVELY orchard. Cant wait!

My mare is a hard keeper, but the others are air ferns. For her, she gets about 10lb of alfalfa cubes a day, and 2 lb rice bran. She refuses to eat any significant amount of hay, so i don't even bother. she will graze when she feels like it. But it's still much cheaper to feed her the alfalfa cubes and SmartVite than to feed a bagged feed. And the RB really don't have too many calories. You can get a similar amount of calories in 2lb alfalfa cubes per day, which is less than a scoop. At $11 a bag for the cubes vs. the $25 a bag I was paying for the RB, and $60 a month for Smart Vite for 4 horses... WAY cheaper.

RB were initially designed for easy-keeper horses who couldn't consume the calories in bagged feed that they would require to get the vit/mins. It was never intended to be a source of calories. I'm just saying that if you do the math, you might be surprised how much cheaper it is to get the calories elsewhere. I've been able to cut out some of my additional supplements too since switching to the SmartVite.

All right, I posted a seperate topic about my mysterious weekend, ya'll will have to go read it!!!

Sylves, sounds like you are going to have a really good year this year. I am ready to go back to work, not because I want to get up and head out every a.m. but because that means soon it will be fall and this horrid hot weather will go away.

SHiloh, I agree, the brother needs to chill and your fiance doesn't need the added stress. It's ya'lls special day. Don't forget lots of pictures.

Krazy, the panic room? What a great name. I had a closet like that once in a house we lived in in Oklahoma on 75 acres. Too bad it wasn't ours. We just leased it.

I will try to do the math again but when I did it like 2 months ago, it wasnt worth it.

Now that I know what things they are low in, I will try to see if there are other vits/mins with more folic acid and B1.

I would LOVE to feed Layla 10lbs of alfalfa cubes but she is the kind of horse that will only eat a certain volume and then shes done. Right now, feeding her 5lbs T/A cubes and like 2 lbs wet beet pulp with her oats and RB are all she will eat.

And of course the hay I got her... well she left quite a bit of the timothy on the floor but she ate most of it. Shes so freaking picky I swear!

Boo, I replied! How exciting!

Oh I don't feed Lucy all of that at once. She used to have to get three feedings a day, but recently she has been inhaling her feed. So I can give her about 5 pounds of feed at once.

If the RB balances everything and you don't need to add anything, then that's cheaper. But when you start needing to add individual things to it, then it starts getting pricey. The SmartVite really has EVERYTHING in it, especially if you feed some alfalfa and some grass or grass hay. No extra lysine, no extra minerals (except sodium), no extra vitamins, nothing. It is flax based too, so unless you have one who really has skin issues, you don't need to add that either.

Ok shiloh, what do you want to me to do with these big arse buckets of lysine and Mag/Se/E???

This Feed XL thing is a blessing and a curse!

I did a "Layla Smartvite" example on there and I would only have to lower her protein and add sodium from what she is currently getting, minus the RB. So that means less alfalfa cubes or whatever.

Of course before this Feed XL website, I would have still thought I would still have to buy the lysine and the other supplements.

Curse this website!

So it would be $21 a month for Layla on the Smartvite Maintainance Grass (I just cannot see putting her on an EZ keeper anything) and then $16.50 for Ben and $16.50 for Rex - so around $55 a month vs $75 a month for the RB.

So I was taking the $55 and adding the cost of the lysine and all. So now I see I dont need to do that.

And they always have the free shipping codes for the Smartpaks so that doesnt even calculate in.

But now I have like over 4 lbs of lysine and the mag supplement! Argh.

And I just bought 2 bags of RB today. So we will have to wait until like next month before even thinking about doing this.

Maybe I can sell the rest of the supplements? lol

Its all your fault shiloh!! haha

See, told ya it ends up being cheaper!

For me, I just switched when I ran out of the RB. I was still feeding the lysine when I did feed XL, and I have taken Lucy off of it entirely now. I am still keeping the little ones on, but cut their dose in half. When it runs out, I'm not going to order any more unless they start looking like they need it. Lucy is still getting her epsom salts, as is my friend's mare. She truly needs them, though I have cut her dose in half as an experiment. She's also still getting the SmartHoof, but I have noticed a difference in her with that. I might try her off it when this next container runs out.

I have Lucy on the Performance Alfalfa, and everyone else gets half a dose of the performance alfalfa. It's the same as the EZ Keeper Alfalfa, just cheaper to order it in the Performance. Oh, friend's mare gets about 2/3 PA, not half. She's in some work. If she's not being ridden, I cut the dose back some. Same for Lucy.

I would order it in SmartPaks for everyone, but I like being able to adjust the dose a bit when they go in and out of work.

I also haven't had any of them turn their noses up at it, and Lucy is normally bad about that. She actually eats the SmartHoof off the top of her cubes if it doesn't get mixed in well enough. The SmartVite is a bit stronger though. I just soak it in with the cubes. Works great.

It also has probiotics in it too.

Sorry for the lack of updates on my end! It's been really busy around here, and I'm not talking about the stable (honestly haven't really ridden in about two weeks- it really sucks).

Everything though is fine, going to NYC next weekend. Just frustrated that I can't ride at the moment.

We need some rain too. Our lakes are so low the boat ramps are closed. We drove thru rain yesterday, man was it nice and up where we went, the pastures were so lush and green. Ours are so brown and dry.

Boocoo, This summer has just been fantastic. Couldn't be better. I think we maxed out thus far at 95 degrees for TWO days this summer. The rest of the days averaged 70-80 degrees. Yesterday it was so cool outside that Jag and Jade were feeling frisky. The temps are going back up into the 90s tomorrow, but then another front will be rolling in and the temps will go back to their comfy 70's. We've had plenty of good soaking rain. The corn is just loving it- the stalks are standing a good 10 feet tall. I love this weather! I'm sure August will heat things up, though... I don't want our summer to end. Sorry about the heat and drought. Come out to Iowa, lol! Bring your new colt with ya!!!!

Shiloh, the two weeks will fly by and all of a sudden, you'll be married! Try to forgive those people for being so selfish. Yeah, easier said than done, lol!

We had a busy weekend. Funeral, family reunion, 6oth birthday celebration, and out of town guest! I got to sneak in a 15 minute ride in on Jag on Friday- we only walked. I wanted to ride this AM, but the poor guy was standing with his hind legs way underneith himself as if his stifles or hocks were sore. So, I just groomed, clipped the face, trimmed the mane, brushed the tail, etc for 2 hours. He has some welts on his neck from the mosquitoes or nats. I applied some liniment directlly on the welts. I couldn't tell if he liked it or not, but I was getting a DEFINITE reaction from him- stretching his neck down and tilting his head...

Okay, off to take a nap. Shannon has finally conked off!

Edited by Sylves

You guys want rain?? OMG.. Its so freaking wet here. Its disgusting. Last night ALONE, the amount of rain we got flooded us just like when we had 8 days straight of rain. There is no happy medium here. Either bone dry or you need an ark.

I took a nap this afternoon. Felt good. Gunna go feed and then wash my scrubs and relax the rest of the day away.

Something bit me on the back of my knee last night while feeding at Jills. I dont know what it was but there is a 6" circumference swelling and its really red and hurts! It doesnt help Im uber sensitive to bug bites but this wasnt your average mosquito!

Shantel, that doesn't sound like a mosquito. Sounds more like maybe a spider bite to me.

We got some rain last night here too, but not enough. My banana tree is already back to being a bit wilty. My rain dance is no longer working apparently.